Start by marking “The Pacific War: The Strategy, Politics, and Players that Won the War” as Want to Read:
The Pacific War: The Strategy, Politics, and Players that Won the War

The Pacific War: The Strategy, Politics, and Players that Won the War

Once the stories have been told of battles won and lost, most of what happens in a war remains a mystery. So it has been with accounts of World War II in the Pacific, a conflict whose nature is only obscured by the linear narrative. In this book, a veteran and respected military author opens the story of the Pacific War to a broader and deeper view.

Going beyond the usual a
Published January 12th 2009 by Zenith Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Pacific War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pacific War

Jack
Guam, Tarawa, the Palau's, Saipan, Iwo Jima...islands that will always be remembered...we hope. The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot, Coral Sea, Midway, Savo Island...all naval battles fought over hundreds of miles of ocean. The European campaign was slugging matches between German and Anglo-Saxon or German and Russian armies. The Pacific were the great naval battles punctuated by sharp and bitter fighting on some of the remotest islands. I have been fortunate to visit a few of the places mentioned h ...more
Scott
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It delves into all of the background info on all of the major players in the pacific war. After reading this, I must confess that I have a much lower opinion of Douglas MacArthur.
Contrary to his public image, he comes off as a bit of a vane and contentious blow hard. His obsession with the reconquest of the Philippines could have cost even more American lives if the Joint Chiefs of Staff had not reined him in just a bit.
Andrew Leyton
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit dry, but that's the nature of a book that goes in to so much detail regarding the personalities involved in the Pacific war.
Seth
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Pacific War by William B. Hopkins is a fascinating blend of politics and combat that offers insight into the American chain of command from the top down focusing on the Pacific Theater of World War II. The approach is mostly, but certainly not entirely, optimistic of American politicians and military leadership concerning their ability to come together to win the war. Although there was significant friction and disagreement among commanders and the upper echelon of leadership, such disputes ...more
Jimmie Aaron Kepler
“The Pacific War: The Strategy, Politics, and Players That Won the War” is the best book I have read on the Pacific War Theater of World War Two. The book presents the decision-making processes, strategies, and at times politics that guided the Allied Forces to victory. You are there decision by decision and campaign.

This is both an extremely readable book filled with recent scholarly research. It is as entertaining as a novel. The prose is amazing. I cannot over emphasize how well written the b
Christopher
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've been reading books about World War II since middle school and always of interest was the Pacific Theater where both of my grandfathers served. Needless to say its been quite a few books so I almost passed on this book but I'm glad I didn't.

This book focused mainly on the "big picture" of theater and associated campaigns. Details of individual battles were kept to a minimum in order to stay on point with how it affected the overall plan. Of especial interested that the animosity that went ba
Paul Kinzer
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
A solid, and very readable overview of the pacific theater, with particular focus on the politics and top military leaders of both sides. Necessarily high level, but with sufficient detail to understand the complexities and vastness of the campaign. A good number of maps, though could have used even a couple more. Balanced, honest research from sources on both sides.
Twilight Sparkle
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great overview of the entire Pacific Theatre of Operations in World War 2. Covers most of the major events and the politics behind them. The author sort of seems to hate General Douglas MacArthur though by all accounts he was an ass anyway SO IT'S OK I GUESS.
Joe
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was a good compilation of the events in the Pacific. It has a good emphasis on the strategy involved in defeating Japan.
Tom Oman