Start by marking “I Am a Bunny” as Want to Read:
I Am a Bunny

I Am a Bunny

I am a bunny. My name is Nicholas. I live in a hollow tree.

This classic Golden Book, illustrated by Richard Scarry, celebrates its 50th anniversary with the story of Nicholas, a bunny clad in red overalls. In the spring, he picks flowers, and in the summer, watches the frogs in the pond. In the fall, he sees the animals getting ready for winter. And when winter comes, he
Board Book, 26 pages
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published 1963)

Dashiell John
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A spiritual tale of a rabbit who goes by the name of Nicholas. No last name is given. In a way, he is Everybunny, making his way through the seasons of life as best he can. This is a classic "bunny v. environment" conflict, one which Nicholas survives through his wits. In one scene, he is threatened by rainfall, and just when you think it is going to be the end for him he decides to keep dry under a toadstool. A profound statement about the instinct to survive.
Shaina
Oh I loved this book when I was little! I loved the illustrations so much! The bunny and his outfit and especially the mushrooms fascinated me! I need to see if I can find it! Oh nostalgia — take me home !
I remember one page or set of pages where there was rain! Beautiful and my favorite. 🐇
Manybooks
Now for the intended age group, for very young children, Ole Risom's 1963 I Am a Bunny might well and totally hit the proverbial sweet spot. However, as an older and of course therefore a much more critical reader and as someone who also never did encounter I Am a Bunny as a young child (and thus having no fondly nostalgic memories of Ole Risom's text and Richard Scarry's accompanying pictures either), I have to admit that albeit I do consider Nicholas Bunny Rabbit telling us all about his life ...more
Bam
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my grandson's favorite book; it's a really sweet story with colorful illustrations. He was dressed as Nicholas for Halloween this year--yellow shirt, red overalls, white bunny tail and a helmet with bunny ears. So cute! <3
Peter
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great alpha waves of contemplative calm emanate page by page from this exceptional book.
Megan
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I still have a copy of this book from when I was a baby, and I have just started reading it with my one year old. The pictures are absolutely beautiful, and the story is simple and short enough that my baby can pay attention the whole way through, without being annoyingly simple or cutesy. It's just a really sweet book, one that I cannot recommend enough. While my baby's not quite at the talking stage yet, I think the pictures are really helpful in pointing out what the story is about - flowers, ...more
Jon
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids who like bunnies, any kid I'm going to read a book to
Ok, I lied. This isn't one of Kate's favorite books, it's my favorite book to read to Kate. She only likes it if I change the words so instead of "snow", I say "marshmallows" or something like that, and she can laugh and correct me. But then if I don't change the words, she gets mad and tells me "No, do it wrong!", but then it isn't really as fun, because how much of a surprise is it for me to read the words wrong when she just told me to.

Great illustrations too. And it's dang short.
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my girls first favorite books and what she learned to read (memorize) first. That little girl has been teaching English for 15 years. Now it's for the grandchildren to discover
Don
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An epic tale covering a whole year in of a naturalist rabbit's life. The rabbit has a very limited wardrobe.
A
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
I am a Bunny

This book is perfect for babies and toddlers who are actively discovering the natural world around them. A cute bunny in red overalls named Nicholas narrates the story; he lives in a hollow tree and shows us how he enjoys observing the changing seasons and playing with plants and animals.

Although Richard Scarry painted the illustrations, they don’t have the cartoonish quality of his later books—they are brightly colored, but show subtle details such as the fall coloration on maple l
Ann
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I Am A Bunny is one of my all-time faves. Beautifully and simply written by Ole Risom, and perfectly ilustrated by Richard Scarry, this was one of the few children's books I never tired of reading aloud.

The charming Nicholas, (the bunny of the title), takes us gently, sweetly, thoughtfully, and happily through the four seasons of the year. We learn about the seasons, weather, colors, counting, animals, plants, and having fun outdoors. I learn, each time I read it, to take a deep breath, smile,
Jon
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hildy-books
An almost mystical paean to the seasons, illustrated by Richard Scarry. A peaceful book that is still fraught with the raw power of nature.

Such a contrast to that fraud Eric Carle, whose anti-capitalist screed "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" drips with socialistic, vegetarian dogma in every sentence.
Hannah Mayes
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This my my book as a child. I found it in one of my old boxes just before my daughter was born. It was the first book she would let me read all the way through was she was a tiny baby. Now I would still have to say it is her favorite book at 18 months. When I am done reading it to her she always says "more". I don't even have to read it anymore because I have it memorized.
Sometimes when she gets fidgity when we are somewhere that she needs to behave I just recite it to her and it usualy calms h
ABC
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
I remember enjoying this book when I was young, but I don't think my son enjoys it as much. It is a nice way to teach about the seasons.
Amar Pai
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Better than the usual claptrap. Not very accurate in its depiction of bunny life though. Also books with animals dressed in people clothes kinda ick me out, but I need to get over it I suppose.
Jennifer B.
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bunnies = cute. Bunnies in overalls drawn by Richard Scarry = cute overload.
Sylvester
8* art
3* story

I would love to frame these illustrations and hang them in Squirt's room. The book is merely an excuse for Richard Scarry to revel in the seasons. The words hardly matter, and the author made them scarce. Does Squirt like this book as much as his Mom does? That's the question.

[image error]
Jen
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing pleases me more than my kids falling in love with the same books I obsessively read as a child.

I Am a Bunny is a thing of beauty. I am such a fan Richard Scarry's painted illustrations. I remember pouring over each page of this book when I was little, staring intently at the animals as they moved through the seasons. My 16m olds want to hear it over and over and love when I point out things such as the snow, frogs, leaves etc.

Truly, a beautiful book that stands the test of time.
Anna
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gem! A beauty! We both experience a good deal of joy making a blowing sound after reading, "I blow the dandelion seeds into the air."
David Goetz
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only book my 13-month old ever brings to me to read. The story about cute little bunny Nicholas going through the seasons is calming (pleasantly soporific if the time is right) and the illustration of Nicholas lying in the sun and watching the birds is very pretty.
Kady
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby
The only book Emmy ever hands me to read to her.
jacky
May 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
This book as from a fellow English teacher. He reads it with his daughter. The story was about the changing of the seasons. Like he told me when he gave it to me, the illustrations are really great. All of the seasons are done well and look inviting, which is important living up in Maine where we have real winter.

This book was also read at story time in Lewiston. After the librarian read it, I realized that there is a lot of interacting you can do with your child with the pictures in this book.
Deborah
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is, quite literally, the FIRST book I ever read. It was read to me many, many times. I very clearly remember the day that I wanted my mother to read it to me, but she was doing something else at the time, so I sat in the doorway of my closet and opened it up, wanting to look at the pictures again, at least.
And suddenly.
I knew how the words went, because I could have recited it to you from memory.
But now the words on the page connected with the words in my head.
And I was off to the race
Kerry Dunn
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I had forgotten all about this book until a mommy blog I read put it at the top of their best books for babies list. I loved this book as a child. I can remember reading it over and over again. I loved the beautiful, colorful illustrations by Richard Scarry. I can remember counting the birds, the butterflies, the frogs, the dandelion seeds, the leaves, but not the snowflakes- too many! Growing up in the desert which doesn't really have seasons, I was fascinated by this book's depiction of all fo ...more
Allison
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-books
Our wee human is too young to really know what's going on, so I wonder if I'll have to update this review in a few months/years. Currently, we're not big fans.

The good: the pictures are lovely; I like that it focuses on the natural world; bunnies are cute.

The bad: it reads like a laundry list of things the bunny does, but doesn't talk about the motivation for why they're doing what they're doing, and there's no flow from one activity to the next. After three or four "i do ____", my husband (who
Geoff Paulson
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Conflicted on this. The thesis of this book is that the narrator, Nicholas, is a bunny. That visually checks out but none of his statements prove this. Bunnies cannot fit under toadstools to stay dry in the rain, nor do they spend much time chasing butterflies. Zero time is spent evading predators or caring for his progeny. Very confusing book.
Abigail
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ike loves this book. He really does show a preference for it, through grunting. The illustrations by Richard Scarry are vibrant, full and beautiful, and the story is really sweet and simple. Love you Richard Scarry.
Emerson and Theodore
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easter gift from Aunt Christy and Uncle Gregor. Beautiful drawings. We had the very abridged story "I am Bunny" in the yellow "Best Storybook Ever" but this is the full length version and it is also a board book. Emerson has been ripping pages again so this is a big plus.
Rob
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: with-holden
Um... I guess it's OK. What I want to know is... why is this bunny the ONLY ANIMAL WEARING CLOTHES?
Julie Rylie