Start by marking “Lady of the Lake (The Witcher, #7)” as Want to Read:
Lady of the Lake (The Witcher, #7)

Lady of the Lake

(The Witcher #5)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  40,837 ratings  ·  2,092 reviews

After walking through a portal in the Tower of the Swallow, thus narrowly escaping death, the Witcher girl, Ciri, finds herself in a completely different world... a world of the Elves. She is trapped with no way out. Time does not seem to exist and there are no obvious borders or portals to cross back into her home world.

But this is Ciri, the child of prophecy, and she wi

Published March 16th 2017 by Gollancz (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lady of the Lake, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lance That's a great question - one that I also pose in my review.

**Spoilers**

That's a great question - one that I also pose in my review.

**Spoilers**

I believe that she went there in order to save Yennefer, which I think is believable. I do believe that Ciri would be willing to sacrifice herself to save her 'mother.' That said, I also think it is very 'out of character' of her to simply surrender herself to Vilgefortz - with no plan - thinking that he would then just let Yennefer go. First, she's dealt with him before so she knows that he's not an altruistic guy. Secondly, I just don't think - at this point in the saga - that she is that naïve and trusting. So, like I said, it seems out of character for her to just surrender herself. It would make more sense if she had at least, first, tried to use her powers to save Yennefer or tried to sneak in under the cover of darkness. So, I agree, it's confusing.(less)

·  40,837 ratings  ·  2,092 reviews

Start your review of Lady of the Lake (The Witcher, #7)
Joey Woolfardis
This review can be found on Amaranthine Reads.

We come to the end of the Witcher series, and I say thank Belzebub for that. It is difficult to say why I kept reading to the very (very) bitter end, since the series was getting increasingly worse by every page. I suppose the time I had invested and a small spark of hope that the end may have been worth it all...

The Lady of the Lake is the final book and it brings the whole saga to an end, with Ciri finding herself in another world having gone throu
Evgeny
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the final book of the series; spoilers aplenty!!! You have been warned and do not let anybody tell otherwise. The book begins with the retelling of the Arthurian legend, in particular the Lady of the Lake part (if you are surprised by this take a look at the title again). The problems are - there are always problems in Geralt's universe - the Lady was not exactly the ruler of Avalon, the coming knight was not Arthur, and nobody offered Excalibur or even an old rusty sword to anybody. The ...more
Michelle
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
Let me start by saying that “Lady of the Lake” is absolutely a bittersweet, yet fantastic finish to “The Witcher” series. I find it very entertaining, yet challenging and deeply rewarding. The major plot points of the series, specifically: Ciri's parentage, destiny, and fate are all addressed and wrapped up rather neatly. I don’t want to expound on the plot further than that, not without giving something away that's best left to the joy of discovery. Just read the book. It’s worth it!

Andrzej Sap
Sean Barrs
This is the final tale in the dark fantasy series The Witcher, and all though it had a decent start the ending will, no doubt, disappoint many readers. The idea that the truths of ancient history and mythology can be unearthed by exploring them in the dreams of a talented sleeper is rather enchanting. It's an interesting idea, one that merges history and fantasy creating an almost dream like feel within the writing, though it never delivers what it promises.

The fantasy elements in here are pred
Markus
Lady of the Lake is an unfortunately poor conclusion to one of the finest fantasy series ever written. Sapkowski attempts to mix in too many new things, his transitions between times and places are very poorly executed and quite overused, and everything about the ending itself is either too much of a cliché, or simply ridiculous.

I've stayed with this saga for many years now, and it remains one of my favourites. Especially the knowledge that the game series takes the franchise to perfection, is a
Deborah Obida
Jul 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, fantasy
Interesting but slightly disappointing, after six books I expected more. The annoying thing is that it was something small that ruined this book, and that thing is drum rolls the story telling/ writing style. If the author had used the style he used in the previous book this would have been way better. There was well depicted fight scenes, new worlds, awesome characters and plot in this.

Verily do I tell you that whoever believes in dreams is as one trying to catch the wind or seize a shadow.
James Tivendale
DNF'd at 55%.

A shame that I couldn't get through the final book in the series but the majority of this book was a chore to read. Too much time hopping, world swapping, new and boring characters and not enough time spent with the people I actually cared about. I'm sure I'll come back to this sometime when I have more patience and time but it just wasn't for me at the moment. I just wasn't excited about what I was reading.
Kaya
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

I am so disappointed and angry with how Sapkowski concluded the saga. Throughout the whole series, I’ve grown so attached to so many characters and I hate to see them stranded away because they couldn’t fit the author’s weak excuse for a plot. What I hate the most is what happened to Ciri in the end. It’s like a slap in the face.

This is the final book in the saga and it deals with Ciri finding herself in another dimension, trying to get back to where she belongs. Her focus is to find
Bradley
I honestly tried to find the truly negative aspects about this book. I honestly did. But when it came to the dreamlike aspects, the tie-ins and total subversion of the tiny bits of the Arthurian Legend, or when it came to finding this to be a weak Witcher novel...?

Eh. No. It was very strong. Strong enough to keep my attention fully rapt from start to finish.

I mean, who DOESN'T like Ciri as a badass? She sure went through a ton of changes and misfortunes. All that extremely well done prophesy bui
Dana Ilie
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
As an individual novel, The Lady of the Lake is not the strongest book in The Witcher, but it is a well-written and thorough conclusion to this series. As you close the book and put it on the nightstand you might not feel that warm sense of satisfaction you get from a happily ever after, but you remain with the brilliant experience of a thoughtful and well-executed ending to an incredible story.
Samir
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a perfect example of how to end a series in the most boring and underwhelming way possible.

I don't think that introducing a bunch of pointless and boring characters in the last book of the series just for the sake of world-building is the way to go. And the ending was really bland.

I give myself five stars for resisting the urge to DNF this a couple of times and for not dying of boredom.
The book gets 1.5 stars, barely.
Inbetweendimensions
Prior to reading the first book in this series I was very, very convinced that these books would end up being among the best in the worst genre to pick books from. I finished the first three, and they were perfect. They had everything that a fantasy novel should have, maybe not could ever have, but I always put a lot of expectation on what I would read and the first three titles hit the mark. An interesting world, painted with vivid imagery without clunky paragraphs of overwhelming description, ...more
Celise
And so it ends.

There’s nothing left to say, nothing that hasn’t been resolved or left me wondering, nothing that I can really put my finger on as being amiss. However, I feel like some untapped potential died with the end of this series, and I’ll carry that disappointment with me for a while.

There were so many new threads explored in the final novel of The Witcher saga that I wish had been left out in favour of more time spent with our favourite characters. I think that is mostly what feels unju
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/04/13/...

Eighteen years after its original publication in Polish, this concluding volume of The Witcher series finally has its official English translation. While fan translations have been around for quite a while now, honestly I thought it was well worth the wait, if nothing else because I got to enjoy the excellent audiobook edition. I started off by reading the books, but then on a whim decided to switch formats once I got to
Sara
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, adult, audio
The final installment in the main Witcher stories starts right where we left off, with Ciri, Yen and Geralt separated. Each are searching for the other, and the conclusion will see worlds collide and destinies fulfilled.

Ciri is stuck in another world, one filled with Elves who hate humans yet still want to impregnate Ciri and keep her child because of a prophecy that her offspring will be the saviour of worlds. The one who will stop the white frost. In all honestly, it gets a bit weird and creep
Nikki
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yev
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm disappointed. It took me a few days to reach that conclusion because I love The Witcher books, I tremendously enjoy Sapkowski's writing and I really did not want to be disappointed.

The whole book felt rushed, as if desperately trying to close all the plot lines. The result is some loose ends, some deus ex machinas (one particularly horrible - look below) and some plot lines that started with a bang and ended with a feeble voice.

Sapkowski is extremely talented at quickly introducing new chara
Caro the Helmet Lady
And again, I am at this point, where of course I can make a return, but something is definitely over. And as every time I'm sad because, as Ciri used to say, it's just not fair. It's over. But the war is not over, the evil is not gone and it will never be, but there will be no Witcher to fight it. Because that world didn't deserve that Witcher. Will Ciri come back to save it? I don't think so. The question remains unanswered. For you to guess.
While I understand some critics I can't do nothing el
Franzi
3.5 Stars

Unfortunately not as great of an ending as I was hoping for. I'm not completely disappointed but there was something missing to make me really like this. The beginning was kind of slow with too much world and time hopping for my taste. But the middle part was great! The ending though... There's nothing that hasn't been resolved but still I feel like there was something missing. I still like the ending itself but the book as a whole was underwhelming.
Wayne
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

Well that was surprising and here I was thinking this would hold no surprises for me.

The world building was brilliant and while a feature of this series this took it to the next level. It was vivid and really brought you into the world as a whole. Toussaint in particular was exceptional as were some other places especially those frequented by Ciri. Just outstanding.

The characters were brilliant especially Ciri. This really was mostly about her which was great. She is by far the most inter
Laura ☾
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a disappointing finale to be honest.

There were far too many time jumps, and jumps between worlds, too many new minor characters, too exhausting to keep track of and not clear enough, creating a choppy disjointed narrative.

Like mixing in Arthurian legend - why now? It doesn’t fit with the rest of the series, and wasn't developed enough to really add anything other than breaking up the narrative.
neuromancer
A rather unsatisfying conclusion to an overall great series.
Lance
Jan 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ilija
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Minor spoiler alert*

I dislike how the author decided to kill off some of the characters, i dont mind them dying , but you cant just kill one of the main characters who has been in at least 3 books , in 2 sentences. You have to have at least some buildup to it.

*Spoiler alert*

The deaths of Geralts litlle band of followers were so sudden and some just outright idiotic , that i was sure yenfer or ciri would revive them or that ciri would travel several hours in to the past and do it over again,
Zuzanna
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, want-to-own
For the past months I've been reading almost only fantasy books, starting with George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, rereading LOTR, 'chilling' with Trudi Canavan. But it's 'cos of Sapkowski I redefined fantasy. The series is wise, intelligent and at the same time it's funny and light (in writing style). It shows that fantasy doesn't have to be pompous. And Sapkowski's writing style is pure genius!!!
Amanda Hupe
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Even though the games make a continuation for this series, and I dearly love those games, this just broke me.

I feel that I'm going to reread the series later in the year because these books fall into my top five fantasy series and I need to give reviews that do them justice.

All I'm going to say is that I really look down at A Song of Ice and Fire after this. Sapkowski knows how to balance politics, character interactions and development, tragedy and joy all in one messily wrapped gift.

A beauti
Ana
Just finished the book and all I can think of is that I would like to go back in time and meet the past-me who thought she would never be interested in reading this series and hit her on the head with the books. All of them! This could have been a reread prompted by the newly adapted series, dammit!

I seem to love almost all of the things people complain about in their reviews. I finally got a series where the author does that thing™ I’ve always wanted in terms of character arc but never really
Alex
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
As a lover of (what many would call) high-art literature and also (what many would call) low-brow populist fantasy literature, I don’t generally find that the two worlds collide. Or when they do, they tend to smash into each other like an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object. There are rare exceptions, of course, but those are generally swept under the carpet or treated with disdain or incredulity or are just plain ignored by most readers, because, when all is said and done fantasy nove ...more
Sotiris Karaiskos
I started reading this series very reluctantly, as I mentioned in my comment about the first short stories that gave rise to it, but slowly as I passed from one book to another my appreciation for what I was reading grew and it came to a point where I could safely say it's one of the best fantasy series I've come across as long as I deal with the genre. The last amazing book came to confirm this impression and lead me to the very rare feeling of being so enchanted by a series that I feel sad tha ...more

• The World of the Witcher
  • The Witcher Library Edition Volume 1
  • The Witcher, Vol. 1: House of Glass
  • Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 2: Fox Children
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Čas hrdinov II
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 3: Curse of Crows
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 4: Of Flesh and Flame
  • Czuły narrator. Przemowa noblowska
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

The Witcher (5 books)
  • Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)
  • The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, #2)
  • Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, #3)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)