Start by marking “Half the World Away: A 27,000 km bicycle journey from Alaska to Argentina” as Want to Read:
Half the World Away: A 27,000 km bicycle journey from Alaska to Argentina

Half the World Away: A 27,000 km bicycle journey from Alaska to Argentina

In July 2011, Ian Lacey cycled unsupported out of Deadhorse, Alaska, into the unknowns of America's wild northern frontier. More than 15 months and 27,000 km later, he arrived in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina – the southernmost city in the world.

Battling a chronic illness and leaving the girl he loves at home, Ian uses human power to see a side of the world many
Published November 1st 2016 by Corcovado Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Half the World Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half the World Away

Start your review of Half the World Away: A 27,000 km bicycle journey from Alaska to Argentina
Leif Harboe
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great inspiration

Vow! What a book to draw inspiration from. I am not sure I will follow Ian’s route, but I will certainly pull out my bike and start pedaling.
Tom Bilcze
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story of a man whose cycling experience was commuting 8 km to work and then gets on a bike and cycles 28.000 km over 15 months from the northernmost point of the Americas to the southernmost point of the Americas is one worth reading. I am a casual bicycle tourist who enjoys reading bicycle touring books. Ian Lacey’s adventures are some of the most enjoyable I have read. There is an art to transforming daily journals and blog posts into a form that captures the reader’s attention and keeps t ...more
Myra L Rice
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bicycling from Alaska to the Southern most Point of South America

Very well written account of bicycling from northern Alaska to the southern most point of South America! The author describes his journey with its hardships and wonderful scenes so masterfully! He goes into great detail of the towns, states and countries he goes through and even some history of the area! I will read his book after he cycles around the world!
Scott E. Mato
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well-written. Lacey vividly conveys a feel for the landscape, climate and culture of the areas he passes through along his journey. He shares enough of his personal interactions with natives and fellow travelers to keep things interesting. The ending initially seemed a bit rushed; however, after reflecting upon it, I'm guessing it accurately portrays his excitement to finish and to reconnect with his loved ones at home.
Anniejon
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this adventurous book-Half the World Away. Having spent time living in and traveling through some of the countries that Ian cycled, I can honestly say how elloquently he captured the people, landscape and essence of the countries in which he encountered.

The personal account and back stories of the characters that he met along the way add to the already great descriptions that he provides of the social, political, historical and cultural backdrop which make you feel like you
The Book Chief
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is fitting that my last read and review of 2016 is an inspiring read. I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review and frankly it was a pleasure to read over the holidays. Over the course of 360 pages, like all good adventure books, I felt like I too went on an unforgettable journey as I read about Ian Lacey's epic cycle.

In February 2010, Ian Lacey met Lee Saville at a friend’s birthday party in Denver, Colorado. From the beginning it was clear that the two of them wer
Mary
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read. It feels as if you are travelling the roads with the author and actually meeting with the people in the different countries.

If you like Peter Jenkins, Bill Bryson or other travel writers then this is for you.
paul
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Too much the woman

I get it, he misses her. But he chose this trip so... Didn't offer too much about the US in terms of experience. It was more of a pass through. Overall a decent read.
john a allison
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing trip

It took me longer than normal to finish this book, partly because I did not want it to end, but it did. This is a must read book for the lover of the bicycle.
D Hemstad
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Slow reading.
Graham Connors
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fascinating journey, expertly told. I can't recommend this book highly enough!
Christopher Lawson
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When you Encounter BEARS, Don't Look Afraid!, December 7, 2016

Before reading this book, I had NO IDEA that anyone was crazy enough--er, I mean ambitious enough to make a 27,000 KM bike trip. Well, now I know.

I can only imagine the danger inherent in such a trip. In one incident, the author explains how he and Lee encountered, in Alaska, a mama bear with a few cubs. What do they do now? Just remember to not look afraid.

One of the stops (by navigation mistake) was in Stinson Beach in the S.F. bay
John
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's rare that a book can completely transport you to another place so vividly, and with the spirit of 'journey' that the author had. Although it's quite difficult to imagine what travelling solo by bicycle for 15 months is like, 'Half the World Away' brings you so closer to the day-to-day wonder and hardships, routine and spontaneity that occurs through bicycle travel.

What stuck me most were the descriptions of places and people that the author experienced. It's clear that he takes a quite 'rom
Angus
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cannot recommend this book highly enough. A mad adventure related with easy humour and more than a touch of class. Felt like I had been a companero throughout the epic. If you like travel, if you like good adventure journalism, if you want to be inspired then this is the book for you.
j savell-stewart and Hannah Savell-Stewart
Very Well Written Account

Very interesting account of an amazing journey. With great descriptions creating a real sense of being there. What a great achievement.

john haley
Aug 19, 2017
Tely3
Aug 10, 2017
dennis hanson
rated it did not like it
May 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• 50 Shades Of The USA: One woman's 11,000 mile cycling adventure through every state of America
  • Into the Sunrise: Cycling the World, Part Two: Sydney to Mori
  • Lost in Europe: A Hitchhiking Adventure
  • No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney
  • Old Lady on the Trail: Triple Crown at 76
  • The Pants of Perspective: One Woman's 3,000 Kilometre Running Adventure through the Wilds of New Zealand
  • Lost on Purpose: Adventures of a 21st Century Mountain Man
  • Kimchi and Kimonos: A cycling adventure in South Korea and Kyushu, Japan (AsiaVelo Series Book 2)
  • A Dream Worth Living: Finding Strength in the Depths of Struggle Along the Continental Divide
  • Cycling South: a cycling adventure from The Highlands to the Islands (Eurovelo Series Book 6)
  • Running Towards the Light: Postcards from Alaska (The Postman #2)
  • Alone on Purpose: Adventures of a 21st Century Mountain Man (Adventures of a 21st Mountain Man Book 3)
  • The Journey in Between
  • bratwurst and bicycles: a cycling adventure from Basel to Budapest (Eurovelo Series Book 3)
  • Desterrados