Start by marking “The White Tower (The Aldoran Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The White Tower (The Aldoran Chronicles #1)

Read Book

The White Tower

(The Aldoran Chronicles #1)

Winner 2017 National IE Award for Fantasy.
Winner 2017 Readers Favorite for Epic Fantasy.
Winner 2017 Beverly Hills Awards for Fantasy.
RunnerUp 2017 Kindle Book Awards for Fantasy/SciFi.

Magic is outlawed.

Those caught wielding it are taken to the White Tower. They are never heard from again.

After the chaos of the great Wizard Wars nearly a thousand years ago, the people turne
Published November 1st 2016 (first published October 26th 2016)

Start your review of The White Tower (The Aldoran Chronicles #1)
Terence
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A thousand years ago after the Wizards Wars, people outlawed the use of magic. People caught wielding magic are rounded up by the Black Watch, taken to the White Tower, and are never seen again. Unfortunately people don't choose to have magic, they are born with magical ability. The remaining magic users do their best to hide their powers. A dark practitioner of magic is amassing his forces and anyone who does not serve him is in danger in the days to come.

I had high expectations for The White T
Chris
3 1/2 stars. If you like big, meaty, epic fantasies, this could be just what you're looking for.

I wanted to rate it higher, as I really enjoyed this one. But where it scratched the surface of being something great, it never really got there. As a first book in a series, I don't have any worries that the overall story will click into place and be satisfying, but at this stage in the game I find myself wanting more. That is a good thing too, as I'm intrigued enough to want to continue...

The execu
Nick Borrelli
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This debut fantasy book by Michael Wisehart totally took me off guard in the best possible way. I wasn't expecting such a tight and engaging story from a relatively new author but that is exactly what it is. If you are looking for a fantasy that is very reminiscent of Michael J. Sullivan's Ryria series, then this one would be right up your alley. It had that feel to it while still managing to seem totally original. I read this in about four days even though it clocks in at around 600 pages. This ...more
Esme
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was really debating whether to give this 4 or 5 stars. It's really about a 4.25 - 4.5 for me, longer review to come. I really, really enjoyed this one but there were just a few small problems which is keeping me from 5 stars.
Jeff Boles
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy fiction has a limited number of tropes. heroes in exile, villains in disguise, undeveloped magic, etc. Most regular readers of fantasy have seen it in myriad forms. So what can you expect out of yet another fantasy story? Excellence, innovation of these tropes, and a fresh look at what the genre can provide.

Michael Wisehart has managed to to hit all those marks and more. The major players are engaging, you learn to like or dislike the characters for who and what they are, not how the aut
Beverly K
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Originally, I was going to give this 3.5 stars. Since GR does not permit half stars, I was going to round it down. Now I'm giving it 2.5 stars and rounding it down.

At first, I thought some of my distaste for this book stemmed from my anxiety over something irl. When I pushed past this, I realized that there are some very real problems with this book. For one thing, it's verbose. This novel could've easily been pruned with good editing. Moreover, this novel needs editing to remedy the grammatica
Kevin Potter
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'll be honest, I was expecting more.
This is a very well-reviewed, impressively selling, award-winning fantasy title.

That said, I do not believe it deserves the hype.

Let's start with the technical stuff. There are a lot of repetitive "filler" words on almost every page. In most cases, the combination of "was" and a word ending in "ing" is a poor choice as it is both a bit of a tense violation as well has being both passive and a bit clunky to read. Plus it adds extra words for no good reason.

Now
Allan Ashinoff
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and it really should receive better than a 3 star rating simply because of its premise and scope. However I did find myself skimming, walking away simply not to doze off a couple of times, and I frequently forgot the relevance of a character after the author finally chose to revisit them. Like a roller coaster with too many level and straight segments, the sharp curves and dips, while a lot of fun, lost some of their luster.

I preferred the authors focus in his prequel Shackle
Cati
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
It seemed to me the author was a bit too much in love with the world he created as he tends to give a little too much detail at times, thus creating an imbalance in the story and not to the benefit of character development. All in all it was enjoyable, an interestingly built world, but somehow it did not grip me as I would have expected. Recommend it though.
Steven Naylor
Rating 2.5

I knew at the end of this book I was going to give it a 2.5 rating. The debate I was having with myself was if I should give it 3 star and round down or 2 stars and round up. (this is where half stars would really be helpful GoodReads....hint, hint). Overall while it wasn't a bad story, there were too many components that triggered my personal pet peeves to ignore.

The story is pretty simple, there is magic in the world and for the most part it has become outlawed (if not blatantly
Kevin Potter
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the first edition, I was decidedly less than impressed. Especially for a book with the awards backing this one, it had a lot of problems.

I'm pleased to say that with the second edition release, this book is vastly improved!

It still has a few problems, but with the changes and cuts made to the text the majority of my criticisms are gone, leaving this as an enjoyable story that doesn't take itself too seriously.

As always, Tim Gerard Reynolds gives us an only slightly less than stellar
Tony
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
I must admit this was a tough slog and I almost gave up.
It is a large tome of nearly sedentary pace for about 90% until a few interesting but weirdly dissatisfying battles at the end. And talking of the end: a man escapes, another man gets amnesia, a boy goes unconscious, lots of people die, sub plots are just left hanging, the big-bad just disappears off the page... the book just ends and doesn’t, for me, give a decent enough closure. I know it’s intended to be a series but at least let me hav
Leons1701
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a bad book, just very, very meh. Yet another attempt at a YA Game of Thrones; dozens of characters, multiple viewpoints, intrigue, possible character death (no twincest though, hey, it is YA). Nothing particularly new or exciting here and characters straight out of central casting. The only really interesting character is a prisoner being tortured by the evil anti-magic organization (that is totally full of casters and apparently everyone knows it). Cliches abound and very little will surpri ...more
Sharon Rhoads
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Start with a world that feels so real you'd swear you've been there. Populate it with characters you can relate to and even get attached to. Add magic, discovery and wonder set against intrigue, treachery and monsters. There is sweetness, light and love. There is cruelty, darkness and hate. Greed, fear and corruption battle altruism, courage and virtue. A book that looks very long turns out to be not half long enough. I eagerly await the next book.
Bigal-sa
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Twists get a bit too much. A bit preachy in places.

The author also does go overboard with adverbs and adjectives, which doesn't always work for me. For instance, what is a "torrential wind"?

I also hate the use of "ya". This is modern American slang which does not fit in with the medieval theme of the book.

(this is the same review I put on Amazon)
Sean Bai
Sep 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-like
I read about 10% of this book before I gave up. I tried so hard to keep reading, because I don't like to not finish books, but found the story to be very generic, and the characters bland.

The story starts out with an old wizard smuggling a baby away, being chased by creatures and magic users. Apparently, magic is banned in the country, or something like that.

The fight scenes didn't really capture my attention, and events just seemed to flow one after the other without much impact. I just didn't
Leona
The White Tower is a big book at a whopping 624 pages, but it is a page turner in enough parts.It is a sprawling epic fantasy tale with a huge character cast and diverse settings. It starts as a typical run of the mill epic fantasy, which I didn't mind at all cause everything I love about epic fantasy was there. The White Tower features a lot of Point of View characters, but the plots are centered around four of them. These are Ty, the fae-bred youth who seems to be some kind of chosen one, Ayri ...more
Annezo
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A great start to a new series. Plenty of action and intrigue that spreads across entire countries.

Although following multiple groups of characters can be confusing at first, you soon learn to look forward to how each group's story unfolds.

There's violence and torture, yes, but none of it is described graphically enough to hit my hair-trigger squick for such things.

I've read the first two volumes and am eagerly awaiting the next!
Shannon
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya, fantasy
Artful. Draws the reader in. I'm a bit resentful as it's clearly a set up for a longer story that will be unfolded through the other books. So...a good read as a set up to the series, but not so great as a stand-alone book.
Nina Carboni
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent

Fairly predictable and not super original, but not bad over all. I would recommend this to someone looking for an entry in the fantasy genre.
Marie Lake
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 80%

I tried, but this was a tough slog of a book. It needed to be edited so badly, and I can't really figure out what the hype was about.

So many character were given physical descriptions. Why do I need to know the eye colour of a villain who is only in the story for a single page? And how are characters even noticing the eye colour of people who are on the other side of a clearing? That kind of thing drives me crazy- here we are having a magical battle, but I've definitely managed to noti
kyle tennant
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read from start to finish

I found this to be a mix of Harry Potter and some medieval story. The book started with a band and maintained its excitement all the way through. My only knock would be the story switching which I found a bit difficult to follow from time to time but I can’t wait to read the second book!
Alex
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The book was a pretty big failure for the editor. It's been a very long time since I last read a book with so many mistakes in it. Wrong words (nonsensical choices and homonyms) and misspellings abound. Things "seemed" to be instead of actually being. Unnecessary words cluttered the page.

Several chapters could have, and should have been cut out. Every chapter from Valtor's perspective should have been cut because they slowed the book down while adding nothing worthwhile. He's the villain of this
River (Tamaranth)
Until the last few chapters this seemed more like a book about a world rather than a book about specific characters. The entire book is told through so many different POVs that I had trouble remembering who was whom, and which sub-story I was in. The "main characters" POVs weren't so bad, but there are a crazy number of chapters told through the POVs of random secondary characters that I felt like I spent half the time wondering what was going on and who this person was.

The chapters are named fo
Anders
Aug 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When LoTR was made into movies and even more so since the GoT tv series, a new genre of fantasy have become more and more common.

I call this genre "Please buy the movierights". I'm talking about books that read like a screenplay more then a novel.

You can usually recognize these books by asking a simple question: "How much would I need to cut/change to make this into a movie?", if the answer is "not a lot" then you should know what I'm talking about.

The reason I think this is a problem is that a
Milan
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Ron Norum
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This book contains a great story, with a good - or sadly at times superfluous - world building. I struggled through some of the chapters, like when a smith is "questioned" for several chapters without any proper relevance to the story... Though by the end I was engrossed in the story, and I still want to know what happens in the next part. I will say that this could have been the start of a great series, but I feel that the author wanted to explain more than actually tell the story overall. By m ...more
Caleb
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great storyline

This book has a different twist on the middle earth fantasy storyline and how magic was introduced to the world. I can’t wait to see how the story progresses and continues to tie all of the characters together.
Samantha Newsome
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Give it a try.

Give it a try. It was well worth my time for the hours of enjoyment I received. Thank you Mr. Wisehart.
GaiusPrimus
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
The narration was superb.

The beginning and the end of the book were great, but the middle and middle-end were a bog to get through.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New Cover Update Request 4 18 Nov 21, 2017 09:57AM

• The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles, #3)
  • The Call of the Sylvana (The Sylvan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Shadow King (The Raveling, #3)
  • The Makings of a Warrior (The Sylvan Chronicles, #4)
  • The Lord of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles Book 5)
  • The Crimson Queen (The Raveling, #1)
  • The Silver Sorceress (The Raveling, #2)
  • Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
  • Ahren: The 13th Paladin (Volume I)
  • The Naming: The 13th Paladin (Volume II)
  • Age of the King (The Echoes Saga, #6)
  • A Mark of Kings (The Shattered Reigns Book 1)
  • The Truth of Shadows (Nightfall Wars #2)
  • Steel (The Cartographer #2)
  • A Sellsword's Compassion (The Seven Virtues #1)
  • Spirit (The Cartographer #3)
  • Empire of Dirt (The Echoes Saga, #2)
Rockslide (Street Rats of Aramoor: Book 3) Releases July 14th, 2020 on ebook, paperback, and audio.

For more information on my work, visit: https://michaelwisehart.com/

If you're interested in signed copies of my books or collecting in-world merchandise, feel free to stop by Aramoor Market: https://store.michaelwisehart.com/

I don't spend a lot of time writing blog posts, but I do spend a good deal

The Aldoran Chronicles (2 books)
  • Plague of Shadows (The Aldoran Chronicles #2)