Start by marking “Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)” as Want to Read:
Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)

Secrets in Death

(In Death #45)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  17,733 ratings  ·  1,555 reviews
The chic Manhattan nightspot Du Vin is not the kind of place Eve Dallas would usually patronize, and it’s not the kind of bar where a lot of blood gets spilled. But that’s exactly what happens one cold February evening.

The mortally wounded woman is Larinda Mars, a self-described “social information reporter,” or as most people would call it, a professional gossip. As it tu
Published September 5th 2017 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Secrets in Death, please sign up.
KatieAnn It isn't the best one in the series. It has some good moments but some really annoying weaker ones. The last three books have been pretty heavy, so th…moreIt isn't the best one in the series. It has some good moments but some really annoying weaker ones. The last three books have been pretty heavy, so this is a lighter tone which I was ready for. However, I thought given the victim, the mystery aspect would be more interesting and developed than it was.
I wouldn't rush to buy this one straight away, but it would make a nice Christmas read for a fan. (less)
Kathrynrose I think that's pretty much what Dallas thinks. :)

I think that's pretty much what Dallas thinks. :)

From a story perspective, DeWinter adds conflict, or at least contrast, which makes the story more interesting and shakes the main character's tree a little. We need to get to know her because she's there, and getting to know her will give us (and Dallas) more insight to the main character, or affect her story arc.

I predict we'll eventually like her, though she won't be most people's favorite character. I feel the same way about Louise, even though some people really love her. I think that's why the series appeals to so many people. It's a diverse group of characters that provide something for everyone.(less)

·  17,733 ratings  ·  1,555 reviews

Start your review of Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
Phrynne
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Number 45 in the series and still going strong! This book was a little different however. Normally we see Eve rushing to find the murderer before more lives are lost. She is usually stressed, overworked and snarky with Roarke. He tries to help, she resists, they fall out, they make up..... If you are familiar with this series then you know exactly what I mean.

In Secrets in Death we see a whole different ball game. The central crime appears at the outset to be a one off and the solving of it is a
Allison Brennan
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some In Death books are thrillers with a race-against-time ride to the finish. Other In Death books are chilling suspense novels where the tension drips from each fast-turning page. And many In Death books are like Secrets In Death: a well-crafted police procedural that has you walking step-by-step with our heroine Eve Dallas as she solves a violent crime and proves, yet again, that she deserves her badge.

After 45 books, there’s a maturity to this series that makes it shine above most other long
Jonetta
Lieutenant Eve Dallas agrees to meet forensic anthropologist Dr. Garnet DeWinter for a drink after hours to work on their relationship (sort of). She spies gossip columnist Larinda Mars (last seen in Glory in Death) when she arrives, giving her a wide berth but keeps her in her sights. When she sees her tottering from the restroom, Eve knows something is wrong, rushes to catch her and watches her die in that moment. It's definitely murder and she's further incensed that it happened right in fron ...more
Celeste
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review now posted!

This is the 45th book in J.D. Robb’s In Death series. I’ve been reading these books since I was 16, when I discovered that J.D. Robb was a pen name for Nora Roberts. If you’ve been following my reviews, you know that I love me some Nora. So finding out that she had an entire series that I hadn’t read, and that said series was about a homicide detective in the New York City of the future, felt like winning a literary lottery. The series was less than half of its current siz
Jilly
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi
Mars was mostly dead when she stumbled into the bar.

Too bad, she didn't have this guy to fix her. Instead she ended up dead-dead. Bummer. But, it couldn't have happened to a nicer jerk. It so happens that Larinda Mars was worse than your typical paparazzi scum, she was blackmailing paparazzi scum.

Diabolical!

Eve and Roarke are trying to find the killer of someone with so many enemies that they probably had to hold a lottery and let the winner kill her. There are more suspects than members on
McKenzie
Eve digs into the lives of New York's famous after a professional gossip is murdered right under Eve's nose.

Secrets in Death reads like an extension of Echoes in Death. Our suspects occupy the same rarefied circles of the victims in Echoes, the characters are still drained from the previous case, and winter still holds the city hostage. Overall, Secrets is quiet and reflective, with the focus on Eve's chosen family and the ties that bind them rather than on the horror of people killing people.
Corina
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, suspense
As always a book by JD Robb has to be on the very top of my to-read list. Actually, her two new releases each year are something I'm looking forward to all year. It's amazing that after 44 books this series is going as strong for me as at the beginning.

Secrets in Death was a fantastic read. The story was captivating from the very first page, and even though some books are better than other - it never stops being a thrilling ride for me. This time the plot was oddly fascinating even though it wa
Brenda
Detective Eve Dallas was off duty when she met up with a colleague in Du Vin, an upmarket Manhattan restaurant – but it wasn’t long before she had to put her cop hat back on. When the woman right in front of her was bleeding out, Eve flew into action. Larinda Mars was dead – it was up to Eve to discover who had killed her.

As information about the victim came to light, Eve determined she only needed to find out who had disliked Larinda the most. The amount of people under that heading was vast –
Flannery
Have you ever read 45 books in the same series? Surprise! I have, and so have thousands of other people who have been following Eve and Roarke since 1995. Okay fine, I started reading them in like 2004 but quickly caught up. I'm not going to stop until I'm dead or the series ends because these books are consistently solid and starting each one gives me a sense of comfort...even if someone is being mauled or locked in a basement in the first chapter. I switched to listening to the audio versions ...more
Ira
3.5 stars!

Let me break it down that to you,
5 stars for Eve and Roarke loving time and the time they were spending together.
2 stars for the crimes story itself, gosh! It's bloody boring!!!!

The victim was the lady who bargain herself into one of Roarke's party in exchange for information regarding a guy who almost kill Nadine in Glory in Death!
Yeah, didn't like her and apparently she even dirtier than what it seem!!

Well, that's all really.
Trying to catch the killer didn't too difficult, rather pr
Silver James
What is there to say about this book? Soooo much! This book was almost...cozy. Which is crazy, considering this IS Eve Dallas we're talking about. But it was a nice respite from the breakneck speed of the few previous books. Seeing where Eve has gotten to on an emotional level, where she is with Roarke, where she stands with the "Gang." Almost everyone made a cameo, with a few notable exceptions. And Roarke! OMG, seeing into Roarke's head and his conversations with Eve and Summerset?!?!?! That's ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There is simply nothing better than a new JD Robb book, not for me, at least. The 45th installment of her bestselling In Death series is just as good, if not better, than the first book. This series never falls in quality, never strays and never disappoints. Nora Roberts as JD Robb can apparently do no wrong.

Secrets in Death struck me as a more quiet, intimate book than most of its predecessors. While the crime is gruesome, the victim herself is a villain of sorts so it’s hard to feel sorry that
Jenny
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
Secrets In Death is book 45 of the In Death series by J. D. Robb. Lieutenant Eve Dallas and a work colleague Garnet DeWinter was having quit drink after work when Larinda Mars gossip reporter of Channel 75 fell at her feet and died. For Lieutenant Eva Dallas and her team, this case ended up to be more complicated them first thought. The readers of Secrets In Death will follow the twist and turns in Lieutenant Eve Dallas investigation into Larinda Mars death.

I love this series I have all forty-fi
SB*needs low angst books*
Eve has agreed reluctantly to meet with Garnet DeWinter at a high end pub called Du Vin. She sees Larinda Mars gossip columnist there but ignores her as she gets seated. As she and DeWinter, wrap up their brief conversation she see Mars walking back into the pub stumbling and bleeding out from a wound to her arm. DeWinter, Eve and a doctor in the pub try to save her but it's too late. Now Eve must investigate a murder that has happened at Roarke's establishment and find justice for a woman that ...more
Alex Cantone
One of the latest in the JD Robb’s series, Lieutenant Eve Dallas reluctantly meets forensic archaeologist Dr. Garnet DeWinter for a drink in an upmarket winebar in New York (one of property magnate husband Rourke’s, naturally), when the bitching is curtailed by celebrity gossip columnist Larinda Mars, staggering into the bar from the ladies, oozing blood and dies in Eve’s arms. Cue the instant crime scene lock down, Det Peabody and e-whiz boyfriend summoned to the scene to interview witnesses, a ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
A really good solid read that I've come to expect from this author. Definitely entertaining. I did think she took it too far to tie Eve's abuse to not one but several cases. It was slightly distracting. But to be honest, the victim was a predator and thus I wasn't invested in finding her killer. So I just listened and enjoyed the story. I didn't try hard to figure out who done it. I still would recommend this book/series. Susan Erickson is amazing as usual as narrator. Now what to read next.
Ann Lou
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bittersweet. That's what I am feeling right now. No words can express how much I LOVE this series. FREAKING LOVE IT. I've been stalling on writing this review thinking of prolonging it more until the next book comes out on January 2018. Can it come sooner???? *sigh* I should be celebrating I've finished it already but instead I feel lost. The characters are like family already. Waiting with bated breath for January to reunite with them again. But hey, I can always reread :)

Anyhoo, a gossip celeb
Obsidian
I think to sum up this book was it wasn't great, but much better than the last few books. As some reviews noted, this one was pretty boring. At least we looked into a straight murder this time, but we still had to have the victim being the lowest of the low by targeting celebs who were victims of rape or molestation. Eve was Eve and there wasn't much depth to other characters besides a nice moment between Summerset and Roarke. I guessed the killer pretty easily because once again the bad guy mig ...more
Deanna
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Am I done with this series? I keep saying I am, and then reading just one more to see what the secondary characters are up to and to see if this is one of the better crime stories in the series (it isn't). I think I'm done. We'll see.
Carol
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What joy there is when a library is open again. Yahoo. have really missed it until yesterday.
more important stay healthy, Don't want to hear of any of us getting sick. Stay well

FIRST READ: J.D. Robb's Book #45 just hit the streets, and it was a very good book. I enjoyed my read of it very much as I do most all of her books. Once again J.D. Robb has pulled me back into her In Death world with some of my favorite characters. Being the Christmas Season, I especially liked Eve's Gift to Roarke of a
Anastasia
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Secrets in death by J.D.Robb is the 45th book in the In Death series. Gossip queen and reporter Larinda Mars is murdered in a restaurant while Lieutenant Eve Dallas is having drinks with Dr. DeWinter in a table nearby. There is no shortage of suspects when Eve discovers that Larinda was using her power to blackmail her victims. Another amazing book in the series. The best part is that we are able to catch up with all the characters and watch how their relationships progress. These books are alwa ...more
Aure, The Bored of the Quarantine

I so much need this book to be released like Yesterday!
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Every now and then I need my Eve and Roarke fix, so I was pretty much dying by the time I got this book in my hands. Things take a dark turn when Larinda Mars, a professional gossip, is murdered in one of Roarke’s hotspots. As it turns out, she experienced an altercation right before her death and now Eve is on the hunt to find out how she was killed. But as the secrets start to come out, she learns that Larinda was actually a blackmailer. She had a lot of people in her hands, which means t
Mo
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

This one dragged a bit for me! Couldn't really get into it as much as the other books. I remember back in the day I used to fly through a book a day!! It has taken me nearly 2 weeks to finish this one. Not a bad read overall but not my favourite.

"You're going to tell me you admired him?"

"Well now, there was a time in my youth when he was a hero for certain, scooping up funds like candy drops and bolloxing up the system with keystrokes and vision. No question at all he was bleeding d
Fran
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each time I finish a new In Death book, I feel like reading the entire series all over again. Seriously, I dread the day J.D. Robb finally decides to end this. The horror!

Also, I like how the intimate scenes felt a bit longer than in previous books. That is, it didn't immediately fade to black, and I guess it felt slightly more descriptive. Perhaps that's just me and my wishful thinking. Lol!
Kirsten
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best In Deaths in a long time. Recent books seemed to have sidelined Roarke somewhat (and I just can't stand for that!) But this one has a little bit of everything. (Except not much Mavis action.)

It has great Roarke-Eve action, an interesting murder, blackmail, a little bit of angst (not too much), and some great scenes to tickle the funny bone.

Purple boots (or was it aubergine?)!
Aure, The Bored of the Quarantine

Another outstanding book by dear Nora. I can't keep repeating how much I adore this series.. oh, wait! Yes I can!!! I can better than a caner can can a can!
That was lame..
Anyway this was amazing as always. In Death series with its characters always give me the best feels!
And now of course I can't wait for the next one!

P.S. High key hoping this series never ends! :)

Peace,
A.
♥Sharon♥
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Undeniably this has been quite a journey reading through this series. It has been amazing and a bit of a rollercoaster ride with Eve and Roarke. I adore these two beyond rational thought. I have fallen in love with two fictional characters and cannot seem to get enough of them.

It isn’t just Eve and Roarke. I have come to love Peabody, McNab, Nadine, Summerset, Morris, Mavis, Feeney, Baxter, Trueheart, Mira, Whitney and even Galahad. Each of these characters add a creative thread to the stories.
Liz Barnsley
I was slightly disappointed with this one. Which is unusual for this series as normally I'm really into them. There are a lot of them and I do dip in and out rather than read avidly, but Secrets in Death just suddenly started feeling like I was reading the same book again.

That doesn't detract from the fact that Eve Dallas is an incredibly absorbing character, as she was here, but I guess I feel at this point she is going around in circles.

Writing still great. I just think maybe I'm tiring of it
Kathy Davie
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Forty-fifth in the In Death futuristic romantic suspense series revolving around Lieutenant Eve Dallas, her gorgeous husband, Roarke, and their companions and friends and set in New York City in February 2061.

My Take
Well, this was one of my least favorite stories, mostly due to how little contact we have with the usual cast. Sure there's a dab of Peabody and McNab with a touch of Feeney, Morris, and the squad. Mira's only mentioned. DeWinter actually feels as if she has a bigger part! Although s
스타카지노주소 ((→ KOG86。COM ←)) 스타카지노잭팟 1 2 Aug 24, 2019 10:33PM
J.D. Robb : Secrets in Death (Spoiler Zone) 134 124 Jan 29, 2019 07:12PM
Play Book Tag: Secrets in Death by J.D. Robb - 4 stars 2 16 Sep 09, 2017 04:01PM
Vampires, Weres a...: Secrets in Death 17 19 Sep 09, 2017 04:39AM

• Shelter in Place
  • Under Currents
  • Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Come Sundown
  • Enigma (FBI Thriller, #21)
  • Hideaway
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Hardcore Twenty-Four (Stephanie Plum, #24)
  • Shattered Mirror (Eve Duncan, #23)
  • Wicked Deeds (Krewe of Hunters, #23)
  • Archangel's Viper (Guild Hunter, #10)
  • Dark Legacy (Dark, #27)
  • Deep Freeze (Virgil Flowers, #10)
  • Proof of Life (J.P. Beaumont, #23)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)