Start by marking “Call to Arms (Blood on the Stars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Call to Arms (Blood on the Stars, #2)

Call to Arms

(Blood on the Stars #2)

Call to Arms: Blood on the Stars II

War. The word spreads throughout the Confederation…the long-expected Union invasion has come. The enemy is strong, their fleets larger and more powerful than intelligence reports had predicted. They have broken through the forward defenses, sent the Confederation’s proud fleets into an ignominious retreat.

Captain Tyler Barron and the cr
Published January 27th 2017 by System 7 Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Call to Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call to Arms

Michael Burnam-Fink
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, 2018
Call to Arms follows up Duel in the Dark with few surprises or literary merits. Dauntless has spent weeks in dock being repaired. Meanwhile, the war against the Union is going poorly, as seemingly endless waves of battleships and fighters pour out of the wormholes. The Confederation is forced backwards, from one stand after another.

Dauntless rendezvouses at the scene of the last battle, and with the help of the Intrepid, a friendly battleship hiding in a dust cloud, destroys a major supply convo
Jim
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, here’s the second book in this series and it just keeps getting better. I knew Jay Allan was a prolific writer and he’s proven that he’s without a doubt one of the best military science fiction writers I read. If you pickup one of his books, better be ready for a long journey. And, it it’s got a battle or war in it, be ready to be worn out! I am again, just worn out! This book goes from one battle to another with the Confederation Battleship, the Dauntless and it Captain, Captain Taylor Ba ...more
Robert Michael
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
If I were to title this review it would be: "Call to Arms -- Whatever it Takes, Part 2".

I can look beyond the formula the author has established here (both in the way the story is structured and how each successive engagement plays out), but the repetitive nature ingrains itself in other ways. Certain phrases continually crop up. The one that sneaks in, on both sides of the conflict is "Whatever it takes." It is repeated by pilots, captains, engineers. Over and over again.

In addition to this ad
Patrick Barnes
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Almost interestingI

I was hoping for something along the lines of Honor Harrington. Instead this is more of a 1940's kind of science fiction adventure book.

Mankind is all American?, I guess. All the surnames are strong Anglo-Saxon names with no Kowalski, Singh, Li, Mugabe or such to break the flow of this action packed (?) novel. Women get more respect than the novels of seventy years ago but there is an undercurrent of them taking the back seat in every key part of the story. They also seem to
Shane
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-scifi
Were to begin? This second book in the series adds many characters, unfortunately those that aren't Admirals or Captains are merely caricatures instead. There is lots of action as always with Jay Allan and the pacing and drama are well structured if a bit predictable.

I did have a lot of problems with the details of the naval battles. This almost felt like Allan set the pace and then let someone else fill in the details. He hasn't made such amateurish mistakes previously. If a ship is trying to e
Alan Mills
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
VolumeTwo of the Series Maintains Quality of Volume One

So often I find that the second volume of a series drops off considerably in quality from the first volume. Happily, that was not true here.

There are, however, significant differences. One of the things that made volume one so appealing was the tight framing. Unlike the usual massive space opera, it was tightly focused on two ships, and two commanders, both given depth of character development, and both given believable personalities. While
Mike Crate
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The long expected invasion of the Confederation worlds by Union forces is upon them, a vicious and seemingly unstoppable surge by Union forces leaves the once powerful Confed fleet in retreat. Meanwhile Captain Tyler Barron and his battleship the Dauntless are rushed to the front before fully completing repairs, they arrive to find only the remnants of a major battle. As the Union punch ever deeper into Confederation space their support/supply system remains impressively strong but Dauntless is ...more
Sandy Kay Kay
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts shortly after the end of Duel in the Dark so you will want to read them in order to get the best enjoyment from this book. Because of the time spent in world building in the first book, there is less time spent on that in this book, though it does continue the perspective shifting format of the first book. Because this book moves on to the war with the Union, there are chapters told from the perspectives of various Union-based characters.

As with the first book, this one centers
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before you pick this one up to read, please note it is book #2 of a series: you need to have read book one first or this one won’t make much sense to you.

Without having a spoiler, the author picks up right where he left off with book one in the continuing war. The battle scenes are realistic, and the author paints the picture as if you are right there in the middle of things. What I like most about this series is you really feel as if you know the characters, and feel the raw emotion of the cost
Adam
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really want to like this book. I enjoyed the first one enough that I bought the rest of the series. But dang, I've picked up and put this book down three times now and I just can't will myself to keep reading or finish it.

The characters are VERY flat and tropey, unnecessary conflict is introduced for seemingly no reason (think Top Gun but in space), and battle scenes that should be exciting feel like they drag on and on and on. Maybe it's the fact that the POV of the Alliance was at least inte
Tony Hisgett
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book more than the previous one. The characters were interesting and the story was more focused.

One of the criticisms I had with the first book, was when you looked carefully at the big space battles the numbers and distances didn’t always add up. This book was better, but there were still instances when the times and distances didn’t add up.

Also although I like a good space battle, I think this author does tend to overdo them. Back in the 18th/19th Century, the measure of a grea
Stephen
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
War and adventure in a ScFi setting

Really well paced and nicely written big conflict story told through many small details, following people and families over time. It feels like a good Updating of CS Forrester’s Horatio Hornblower classic novels of Britain’s Navy and the Napoleonic wars to an interstellar future.
While Jay Allen seems more formulaic and repetitive then CS Forrester, his narrative moves right along and is quite engaging with a good mix of dialogue, stage-setting narrative and de
Aaron Walker
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: leisure-fiction
Following on the heels of the entertaining but unimaginative first novel in this series is a slightly less entertaining, slightly less imaginative second novel. There is *slightly* more character development in this novel, but only slightly, and they generally respond exactly as you'd expect them too. There is an attempt to bring in some grander conflict (geopolitical turmoil, is the Confederacy as good as it says, rule of law, etc) but it generally doesn't last long, and the characters confess ...more
Jeff
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great continuation of the story started in book one. While I find it somewhat annoying to read repeats of what was covered in the previous book, those parts would allow someone to read this as a stand alone book. That being said, start at the first book and enjoy the adventure.
Captain Barron's character is not static but developing as events happen. Other characters may not be developing as fully but there are a lot of characters. I find this a very interesting universe and I look fo
Gary O'Brien
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
The famous Captain Tyler Barron and crew must once again cut short their refit to travel back to the far side of the Confederation because the Union has finally invaded. Again, the battleship CFS Dauntless is barely operational.

So back into battles they go. But this time they are not alone. They partner up with another Confederation battleship this time. With the unconventional, rule-breaking methods of Barron they fight against impossible odds

I give this one 5 stars. It has some of the same kin
Slhanley
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Fun sci-fi space opera. Lots of action. Characters are likeable, but not really fleshed out. On the edge of your seat action. Hard to find clean, not foul-mouthed adventure books, but Jay Allan delivers.
Good cliffhanger as I can't wait to see what becomes of the Union pilot rescued by the Confederation. I had really wished Katrine Rigellus had come over to the other side in his previous book. She was such a great captain. Maybe this time the pilot will convert and become a central character.
Marshall Clowers
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This picks up several months after the events from "Dual in the Dark". As the story goes it's pretty familiar formula that any reader will recognize and yeah it's more science fantasy than science fiction.
The action is pretty good and there are a few moments where it can get pretty intense. Fans from Weber's Honorverse might enjoy it, my only detractors are there is a bit of repetition (fragility of the main guns, defend the BB at all costs (and why),
If you read the first book you'll know what
James A. Youncofski
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book

It is very seldom that I find it hard to put a novel down. I can't say that for this installment of Blood on the Stars. The characters in this book are so life like, that any military man or woman would be proud to serve with them. The feeling of comradarie is very intense along with the description of the battle in the stars. I really enjoyed this novel more than I thought I would and I will recommend this author to anyone who will listen to me. Great job Mr. Allen!
allan graham
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I like it, But

I enjoyed the first book and overlooked a lot of annoying repetitiveness, but, not this time. Far to much repeating of action, always a miracle, always a long shot, always the same old dialogue. The pilots are always " full of respect for the enemy veteran pilot", which they can tell every time. Engineering's always performing a miracle. Nope, won't be reading anymore
Steve Canipe
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story well told

If you like sci-fi tales of enemies slugging it out in interstellar space this one is for you. Young commanders willing to sacrifice to save their homeland paints a nice picture. There is some spy intrigue on both #ides and maybe the good guys will win. Read this highly entertaining novel to find out how love, hate, animosity, loyalty can all get blended into a good story.
Dutch
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent installment from Jay Allan. I enjoyed the first book enough to immediately purchase the second. In this book, now that the Alliance is out of the picture, the war between the Union and the Confederation officially begins. How is the Union maintaining such a strong position so deep behind enemy lines? Discovering the answer and developing a strategy to combat it is the premise for this very promising second book. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Mark
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Mr. Allan really knows how to write these! Fun!

This book chronicles how Dauntless and (a new ship to this series) Intrepid are able to join up behind the Union offensive, cut the Union supply-line, and contribute towards halting the Union offense that was driving deep into Confederation star systems. Mr. Allan manages 4 or so very fun and interesting story arcs to weave the story together to its conclusion. My Favorite Authors shelf now has a new member. Onto the next book...
Michelle
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

Once again Jay Allen has ruined my weekend. It’s 12:31 Sunday night and my to do list from Friday isn’t just incomplete, I never started it!
Call to Arms is as great as the first book in this series. I don’t like series books, but I got suckered into this series and don’t regret it. The first book had me on my feet and pacing and this one was just as absorbing.
Hooray for Mr Allen and I hope you write really fast!
Dustin S Cardwell
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great space operas

Absolutely love the book .Jay Allen has the ability two evolve all the characters in a story. I have been reading his stories for quite some time now and have no intention of stopping anytime soon. He is an excellent sci-fi writer and I gave him a 5-star rating for his ability to keep you at the edge of your seat and I definitely recommend this book for any sci-fi space Opera fan.
Ed Narvid
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Boring

The first book wasn't bad but after that it was the same old plot line - good guys facing overwhelming odds somehow pull thru and destroy the bad guys - over and over and over again. I don't think I'll waste my time reading the other two in this series as it will just be more of the same.
Brian
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
I bought this book on "Big Bad Amazon."

Very well written 2nd book in this trilogy. Mr. Allan has continued the development of the characters, battles, politics, and the bizarre reasons these people have gone to war; a fourth war just to gain what others have regardless of the cost.

I look forward to the (sadly) third book.

Highly recommend.
clifford h leighton
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I love the many twists and turns the story takes and the characters are believable and interesting. The science supporting the story is a little weak, it seems unlikely that ships with such finicky reactors and primary weapons would last very long in battles . And I wonder why the ships can't deploy larger versions of the bombers torpedoes and rail guns.
Susan
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Call To Arms is the second book in the Blood On The Stars series. This can be read as a standalone but will make more sense if you read the first book. There is a lot of violence as this story involves a war in Space between civilizations. I am enjoying this series and can't wait to read more about the Dauntless.
Scott A Perry
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Action packed and engaging!

Story was well put together and very fast paced. Hard to find a break in the action to make it easy to put the book down. I will say that authors need human proof readers. Miss-spelled words that still make words don't get caught by spell check and make for distracting reading. This book is no better or worse in that regard than others, though.
Robert F. Marriott
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
From front to the back cover no way you could out it down. Action, battles in the stars that rival star trek!

Love how the book picks up with the battleship Dauntiless in dry dock. The union blitzkrieg the Confederation and captain Barron and crew don't know what is going on with the war. They run smack dab into a trap. Great reading for science fiction fans.
Goodreads Librari...: Correct added book 3 12 Feb 03, 2017 11:13AM

Blood on the Stars (10 books)
  • Duel in the Dark (Blood on the Stars, #1)
  • Ruins of Empire (Blood on the Stars, #3)
  • Echoes of Glory (Blood on the Stars, #4)
  • Cauldron of Fire (Blood on the Stars #5)
  • Dauntless (Blood on the Stars #6)
  • The White Fleet (Blood on the Stars #7)
  • Black Dawn (Blood on the Stars, #8)
  • Invasion (Blood on the Stars #9)
  • Nightfall (Blood on the Stars #10)
“And Barron suspected his adversary had indeed been a complex and intriguing woman.” 0 likes
“The Confederation was the one place where citizens, at least some of them, enjoyed anything remotely resembling freedom.” 0 likes