Start by marking “Come On Up to the House” as Want to Read:
Come On Up to the House

Come On Up to the House

Doesn't life seem nasty, brutish and short?
This horror novella and accompanying screenplay tells the story of Darran Jersey, a troubled teenager who moves into a house that's inhabited by the malevolent spirit of his predecessor.
As time goes by and the family begins to settle, Darran begins to take on more and more of the qualities of James, the dead teenager who committed

To ask other readers questions about Come On Up to the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come On Up to the House

Whispering Stories
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was more of a horror comfort read rather than anything groundbreaking, especially for those of us who love to bingewatch horror films on the weekends, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

To me, it felt a little like that author was writing what he thought readers would like by throwing in all the classic film tropes, rather than putting his own spin on things to create something new.

It’s one of those rare examples of a story that really would be better on screen, which is what the auth
Danielle N
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This is not my first experience with the author’s work. I previously reviewed No Rest For the Wicked and hosted a guest post by the author. After recently participating in a cover reveal for Come On Up to the House, I was happy to accept a copy of this hauntingly enticing novella for my honest review. This would be my first encounter with an actual novella followed by the screenplay. I welcomed the chance to do a brief comparison and share my thoughts.

My full review can be found here.
Caroline
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2017
**Book gifted in exchange for an honest review**

After having a few months off reading books I decided to start the year as I mean to go on. Come On Up To The House was the perfect starting point.

I read this on New Years Day, night and although my it's been up as 'currently reading' for the past two months it was a short read which took a couple of hours. I loved both of Dane Cobains books even though they're not my usual genre.

The story starts with a look at the final hours of the previous owner
Lily Bloom
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but creepy

This was a short read but quite creepy, and sometimes funny as well. I liked the style of the author and, although I don't normally read horror that much, I enjoyed this book. It's cool that this format contains the screenplay as well. I haven't finished reading that but from what I have read, it was well-formatted and easy to follow. I can imagine this story very well as a film. I recommend reading this and I'm happy I found this author because not only he writes cool fiction bu
Lola
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read some thrillers yet not many about paranormal activity, I did rather enjoy this book. Knowing that it was a novella with a screenplay, I feel I enjoyed the book a lot more. This was due to the fact that I could envisage the story being acting out into a play/drama. The novella itself was rather descriptive which I felt made it a lot easier to read, with imagery flowing through my head. I feel this was a short, easy reading novella.
Read full review here - http://lolitabonita.co.uk/feb
J.D. DeHart
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have had the pleasure of reading several books by Dane Cobain now, and this was yet another book in a long list of enjoyable titles.

What was most interesting about this book was the way the author paired short fiction with a screenplay. It's a great way to see the similarities and differences between forms, and Cobain guides us through both forms, providing some nice background information about why the book is set up this way.

The story also works well, and just in time for Halloween.
Amber Garabrandt
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I consider this a novella with an accompanying screen play.  Due to money, the Jersey family has taken moved to a new home.  It's obvious from the get-go that the family left in a hurry, leaving much of their things behind.  Darren Jersey, fifteen, seems to be a fairly normal and adjusted kid at first.  He gets along alright with his parents, and doesn't have problems with his little brother and sister save bossing them around from time to time as all big siblings do.  As they adjust to their n ...more
Karen
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book introduces you to the Jersey family - especially teenage son Darran - and their house.

With Come On Up to the House, Dane Cobain has created a horror story about a house, the evil spirit within, and a family. It is a fight between evil and not-so-evil; the horror is not limited to the evil spirit. Dane Cobain paints a clear picture of Darran while the gory story evolves. The other characters are of sufficient depth, supporting the novella-length story appropriately. The story has a good
Lisa
Apr 07, 2017
Angie
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fab book. Nice to see a story as a play too. My review is at http://www.acreativelife.co.uk
Bhawna Saini
Mar 09, 2017
Lieze Neven
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I am a very big horror fan. And I mean big. Not the gore kind. Don't give me any of the Saw stuff. I can watch it. But it is not something I would search for actively. I love anything paranormal, anything that has to do with haunted houses, ghosts, demons or little girls climbing out of the TV.

I was very happy when I received the book Dane sent me. I fell in love with the cover right away and could not wait to dig into the fresh, unturned pages. The story is about a normal, British family, hit b
Nia Ireland
May 28, 2017
Sarah Clack
Dec 20, 2017
Kaitlyn King
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was kindly sent to me by the lovely author, who I've done reviews for before. I know that he is good at creating a creepy environment for a story so I was excited to get started on it.
There were a few things that concerned me when I started reading this book, but I'll get to those after the description. Once I came to terms with what the book was I enjoyed it a lot more.
Let me tell you about it:

The Jersey family has just moved to a new house with the hopes of starting over. What the f
Kade Cook
Erynn Wilson
Aug 19, 2018
Oli Jacobs
Oct 25, 2018
Thunderclap Autho...: Thunderclap: Come On Up to the House Launch 1 1 Nov 27, 2016 06:08AM
Dane Cobain (High Wycombe, UK) is a published author, freelance writer, poet and (occasional) musician with a passion for language and learning. When he’s not working on his next release, he can be found reading and reviewing books for his award-winning book blog, SocialBookshelves.com, while trying not to be distracted by Wikipedia. His releases include No Rest for the Wicked(supernatural thrille ...more