Start by marking “Portrait of Vengeance (Gwen Marcey #4)” as Want to Read:
Portrait of Vengeance (Gwen Marcey #4)

Portrait of Vengeance

(Gwen Marcey #4)

An unsolved case. A tempest of memories. The future’s at stake—and time is running out...

Gwen Marcey has done a good job of keeping the pain of her past boxed up. But as she investigates the case of a missing child in Lapwai, Idaho, details keep surfacing that are eerily similar to her childhood traumas. She doesn’t believe in coincidences. So what’s going on here?

No one k
Published August 8th 2017 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of Vengeance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of Vengeance

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book is about a double murder and a missing little girl. The Nez Perce Tribal Police in Lapwai, Idaho are looking for the killer. Gwen Marcey is forensic artist who pushed to be sent out to help. She as going to go regardless because something about the murders has triggered some memories from when she was a child.

Gwen sets out to help Chief Seth Kus in finding the little girl. Gwen has to get help from her best friend Beth when her car is stolen. It seems someone doesn't want Gwen on the
Matt
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Carrie Stuart Parks and Thomas Nelson for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Returning with her much anticipated fourth novel, Carrie Stuart Parks takes readers on an emotional rollercoaster. After recently being hired to work on the Interagency Major Crime Unit (IMCU), Gwen Marcey attempts to curry favour with the team and her current beau by taking a case in Alaska. However, wh
Cara Putman
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Carrie's books, but this was the best yet. It all came together: Historical threads, suspense twists, self-discovery. The result was a highly satisfying read. Run out and buy this book the day it releases. You won't be disappointed. Great read!
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I've been wanting to try out the Gwen Marcey series for a while so when I got the chance to read this, book four in the series, did I not hesitate.

First I want to say that I was curious to see how this, a book labeled Christian mystery, would be like. I mean that's not often I come across a mystery book that is defined as a Christian one. And, as far as I can tell, after reading this book is it worked out OK. Not too preachy, just the mentioning of God now and then. Second, I was intrigued to di
Jocelyn Green
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I seem a little slow today, I blame Carrie Stuart Parks. I just could not put this book down until I finished it way too late last night! Well worth it!
This was my first Gwen Marcy mystery, and I can't wait to go back and read the rest. Even though I hadn't read the first three, I didn't feel lost, so if you are interested in this novel, jump on in. I loved the characters, the complex interlocking mysteries, the high stakes, and the history. Yes, it's a contemporary novel, but the history th
Melanie
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10, july, netgalley-read, sz
Portrait of Vengeance is the fourth book in the Gwen Mercey series. It was really good, but my favorite of the series was the previous book, When Death Draws Near. I liked how we got to learn a lot more about Gwen's past in this book -- there were so many unexpected things revealed!

The suspense was great, as usual. I started the book and was drawn into the story right away. I didn't like the way the book ended (unless another book is planned? Then it is okay. ;)). I felt like I got left with som
Joan
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I have read all of the Gwen Marcey novels and enjoyed every one of them. I like the characters and the plots are always entertaining yet informative. This novel concentrates on troubling events from Gwen's childhood. The current investigation reminds her of a similar crime in her past. Because of that, this novel deals more with Gwen's self discovery than I have seen in other novels in the series. At first I found this a little disconcerting. I love a strong protagonist and Gwen seemed weak, stu ...more
Rebecca
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
"If I'm right . . . . then this is a portrait of vengeance."

Forensic artist Gwen Marcy convinces the commander of her Interagency Major Crimes Unit to assign her to a case that places Gwen back into the foggy world of her childhood; two adults have been brutally murdered in Lapwai, Idaho and their four year old daughter is reportedly missing. Bracing herself, Gwen arrives on the scene to discover that one of the only remaining clues duplicates a memory from the day when her own parents had been
LadySnowAngel
Having just finished Portrait of Vengeance, I only have one thing to say...I need book five!!!
Nancee
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That was another roller coaster ride, thanks to Carrie Stuart Parks! I have to stop reading Carrie's books late at night! This one kept me awake like the rest of the Gwen Marcey series.

A master at developing original crime scenes and creative plots, Portrait of Vengeance was no disappointment. Descriptive, suspense filled and poignant, there is no guessing who Gwen can trust. With her best friend and her Great Pyrenees (a bear of a dog) along for the ride, there isn't a dull moment.

I have been
Rosalyn
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I've read all of these Gwen Marcey books, and they just keep getting better!
So much action, suspense, and more--it's one of those books that you want to keep reading from start to finish!
Gwen is such a realistic, down-to-earth character. I feel as though I know her.
I love how she always seems to find herself in the middle of the excitement, almost without trying.
In this book, we are given more of her backstory, and it is very intriguing!
If you are a fan of Christian suspense, you won't w
Laurie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gwen's most personal case yet, this was a tense read that had me racing to the finish. I hope there are many more of these to come!

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for providing an e-galley in exchange for an honest review!
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Portrait of Vengeance
A Gwen Marcey Novel #4
By Carrie Stuart Parks

When the Interagency Major Crimes Unit that Gwen Marcey is currently working with is assigned a case that is too eerily like her past Gwen takes the case. The similarities to what she has hidden for years along with the proximity to where it happened is too coincidental to ignore.

But confronting her past may be more than Gwen can take when the very people she trying to help take offense with her very presence and her ex-husband is
Angela Bycroft
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’re looking for a fast moving, edge of the seat, suck in a breath (it might be your last) thrill ride - then this book might just be for you.

I haven’t had a chance to read the preceding titles in the Gwen Marcey series but this still worked just as well as a stand alone - although judging from the quality of this one, it won’t be long before I pick up the previous books. It was that good.

Forensic artist (not a vocation you see in many books) Gwen Marcey volunteers to assist local law enf
Mark
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed Carrie's books since I read her first one. Forensic artists fascinate me, and the fact that she is one in real life makes her novels all the more interesting and believable. In addition, her main character is far from perfect in more than one way, being a breast cancer survivor with prosthetic breasts..... you don't run onto that in many novels.

All three books that precede this one have been great reads, but this one may be the best yet. I found it to be more suspenseful than th
Iola
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Portrait of Vengeance is the fourth Gwen Marcey novel, following When Death Draws Near, The Bones Will Speak, and A Cry from the Dust. Each novel centres on a crime or series of related crimes, with an underlying thread about Gwen’s relationship with her teenage daughter (not good) and her ex-husband (even less good).

But Portrait of Vengeance was unique in that it gave some of Gwen’s own personal history. This gave an insight into the person she has become, and showed us what she has overcome–
Staci
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Well done! I've made this comment in the past three reviews...Carrie Stuart Parks writing gets stronger with each novel. In a Portrait of Vengeance, the crime gets personal. Gwen learns about her past while solving a present day crime.

I was engaged the entire novel and there was a twist I didn't see coming. Secondary characters Beth and Winston (165 pound dog) were strong.

My understanding is this is the end of the Gwen Marcey Series. I look forward to what the author writes next.

My gratitude to
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Previous to this book, I had never read anything from Carrie Stuart Parks. I will go back and read her other three books now. This was thrilling. I did, however, feel I was missing something, then realized that the main protagonist's back story had been told in the three previous books. I took off a star for that. The writing is well done, the plot is awesome. I look forward to reading the other books in this series. It is a bit gritty, but it is a crime story. It's not offensive, though, or vul ...more
Sharon
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I had not expected to begin my new read one day and finish the next.

The story had me from the beginning and only the need for sleep kept me from finishing the book on day one. So hard to put down.

Great story with characters that pull you in for a ride full of questions, guesses and twists through to the end.

A very big thank you to Goodreads and Harper Collins for the opportunity to meet and enjoy the work of Carrie Stuart Parks.

I now have a new Author with stories I cannot wait to digest.
Angie Fehl
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me start off by saying that if you haven't read any of the previous Gwen Marcey stories, I'd recommend checking out the earlier books with this particular series. While the cases themselves could technically make for stand-alone works, there are characters and certain details of Gwen's life that are carried through all the books.

In this fourth installment in the series, forensic artist Gwen Marcey is investigating the murders of a married couple within the Nez Perce tribe (Lapwai community)
Lisa Johnson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title: Portrait of Vengeance (Gwen Marcey #4)
Author: Carrie Stuart Parks
Pages: 311
Year: 2017
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.
Gwen Marcey has finally gotten a full-time job, although she is on probation for four weeks until she can earn her first paycheck. She volunteers to take a case that really doesn’t appear to need a forensic artist, but is eerily like events from Gwen’s past. She arrives in Idaho at the Nez Perce Reservation to begin helping the local police force in a
Kelly Bridgewater
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I became a fan of Carrie Stuart Parks writing when I read her first book A Cry from the Dust.As a debut author, she did a fantastic job drawing me into the lives and mysteries of Gwen Marcy. With each book after that, The Bones Will Speak and When Death Draws Near, Parks still captures my attention. When I found out that there would be more Gwen Marcy books than the typical three books, I was excited. With her latest addition to this series, Portrait of Vengeance, I really enjoyed this novel.

Li
Suzie Waltner
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unless you live or have lived in the Pacific Northwest, you probably haven’t head of or been to the small Idaho towns where Carrie Stuart Parks’ fourth Gwen Marcey novel is set. For those of us who do know or have been to towns such as Lapwai, Orofino, or Kamiah, it’s a pleasant surprise to run across them in a story.

What was even more enjoyable about this story was the mystery around Gwen Marcey’s past. In Portrait of Vengeance, Gwen has a probationary position with a new task force and delves
Just Commonly
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Portrait of Vengeance by Carrie Stuart Parks is the 4th novel of the Gwen Marcey series. Unfortunately, I have not read any of the previous installments, though the good thing is I don't feel like I've missed anything. The bad thing? I haven't read the rest of the series. Being my first book of this author's, I didn't know what to expect. I just know that I love that cover and it has a haunting feel to it that I can't let go. And boy, the story was just as haunting, or maybe more as the cover.

W
Carol
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Portrait of Vengeance is intense, abundant in serious mysteries and thrills, aggressive in it's way how it gets you so enthralled in the story. This book is so alarmingly enjoyable in how the author takes you to such depths and you enjoy it. You find yourself feeling yet once again fortunate to be in the mind of Gwen because her mind is amazing and how she figures things out, and how she see things and picks up things - it is so incredible - and sometimes you want to scream out to her - no - don ...more
Holly
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OH. MY. GOSH! This series keeps getting better and better with each book! I love Gwen! I love her never give up spirit, her love of her family and friends and her passion for justice.

One of the reasons I like Gwen is her life isn’t simple. She is struggling to maintain a job, she is a breast cancer survivor, she is dealing with a jerk of an ex-husband, it’s not pretty. Like real life.

This story answers a lot of questions for Gwen and her past. I found myself crying for her and with her. And I al
Pam
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Thanks to Net Galley for a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

Gwen Marcey is an unlikely heroine. She is a divorced breast-cancer survivor who is a forensic artist. She also has serious self-image problems. She is struggling to raise her 15-year-old daughter as a single mom when all the while her ex-husband is conniving and controlling. Her self-deprecating inner dialogues are often very amusing and telling. The suspense was tight and the twists in the story kept me on my toes. I just
Nicole
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed the Gwen Marcey series and this book did not disappoint! I really like that the book is set in the Northwest (where I live), so it's easy to visualize the setting. The author is a real forensic artist, so it's pretty interesting to read about through Gwen.

I did find the plot line circling around Gwen's childhood a little odd. Mostly just her childhood itself. I think I could have done without that part. With everything else going on it was a little unnecessary.

I do think
Carol Keen
I have absolutely fallen in love with Park's books now. I can't wait to read them all. This is a wonderful mix of faith and mystery with a female lead that I can connect to in many ways. I have dealt with that form of cancer with women close to me. Grace is very realistic and amazing as a female lead. The story feels real, and is throughly engaging. Now I need to find more from this author!

My copy came from Net Galley, who I send my deepest thanks in this case! My thoughts and opinions are my o
Lora
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! Another awesome Gwen Marcey book filled with suspense, intriguing settings, great characters, tension, quirky humor, unexpected plot twists, and awesome writing. I read this book in one day, because I could NOT put it down! I stayed up till 3:30 am to finish! Carrie Stuart Parks is an incredible writer, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series. Oh, I wish I could start another one right now!!
  • Crisis Shot (Line of Duty, #1)
  • Fatal Trust
  • Poison (Bloodline Trilogy, #2)
  • Vanishing Point (Nikki Boyd Files #4)
  • Rising Darkness (Finding Sanctuary #3)
  • High Treason (FBI Task Force, #3)
  • Centralia
  • Maybe It's You (Crisis Team #3)
  • Every Wicked Man (The Bowers Files: The New York Years #3)
  • The House on Foster Hill
  • Home on the Range (Double S Ranch #2)
  • Stratagem
  • Exile (Guy Erma and the Son of Empire, #3)
  • Bringing Maggie Home
  • Justice Betrayed (Memphis Cold Case #3)
  • Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)
  • Beyond Justice (Hidden Justice, #1)
  • The Golden Vial (Legends of the Realm, #3)
Carrie Stuart Parks is Christy, Carol, and Inspy award-winning author, an award-winning fine artist, and internationally known forensic artist. Along with her husband, Rick, she travels across the US and Canada teaching courses in forensic art to law enforcement as well as civilian participants. She has won numerous awards for career excellence. Carrie is a popular platform speaker, presenting a v ...more

Gwen Marcey (4 books)
  • A Cry from the Dust (Gwen Marcey #1)
  • The Bones Will Speak (Gwen Marcey #2)
  • When Death Draws Near (Gwen Marcey #3)