Start by marking “Een zomer aan zee” as Want to Read:
Een zomer aan zee

Een zomer aan zee

Emily is heel tevreden met haar leven: ze is een gelukkige single en heeft een baan waar ze dol op is. Toch wil ze eigenlijk wel eens iets anders, dus als haar vriendin Rebecca haar vraagt of ze het leuk zou vinden om een zomer als kok op een restaurantboot te werken, hoeft ze niet lang na te denken. Ze pakt haar spullen en reist af naar Schotland.

Bij aankomst blijkt dat
Published January 24th 2017 by Boekerij (first published February 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Een zomer aan zee, please sign up.
Debbie It's available in digital form, so check your favorite ereader or app store.…moreIt's available in digital form, so check your favorite ereader or app store. (less)

Start your review of Een zomer aan zee
Irena BookDustMagic
2,5 stars

I am sorry. Sorry for taking so long to read this book and sorry for taking it even longer for reviewing it.

The thing is, in the middle of my reading, I had to take a long break from this book because of one particular scene, the one I decided to call – the placenta scene.

I'll be 100% honest with you – if I didn't read a review copy, I would DNF it and then donate it.
But, I had an eARC, I think it was only fair of me to read the whole book so I could write a decent review.

I'd be lying
Hannah
I loved the setting of the book on-board puffer boat in Scotland. It was an easy read, which I like in a book none of it dragged on too long or took ages to set the scene.

The main character is Emma a midwife who encourages home births. She thinks the puffer boat will be a summer away from the job. First thing Emma discovers is you can't really get away from the job as her knowledge comes in very hand. Second thing Emma discovers is what she's really wanting in life, whether to return to a life
Angie
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, netgalley
Great summer read, perfect for a beach trip (or for when you wish you could take a vacation!) Katie Fforde always writes fun, sweet, and entertaining books of which this is no exception.

This is a feel-good book, as the tagline says, and just the kind I like to read when life gets hectic and crazy and I need an escape... Emily is a midwife who takes leave to help a pregnant friend, Rebecca, for the summer by taking over the kitchen duties for her on a puffer boat in Scotland. Despite the hard
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sad to say I felt this was a bit slow, though I confess it followed a string of good thriller books and this may have contributed to the slow pace feeling.
From the starting chapter I thought Emily would be a feisty character - a midwife on a mission, but instead she went off on a sabbatical summer break cooking on a close friends floating hotel and her whole personality mellowed and became something else.
The relationship between Emily and Kate was endearing sadly I didn't feel the same about her
Jo
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fabulous book by Katie - and it was set in Scotland too not a million miles away from where I live. Loved the setting, the characters and of course the ending. Katies books are always feel good and leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Alison
After a rip-roaring row with a GP Emily decides to take a sabbatical from her job as a midwife in the Cotswolds and, fortuitously, her BFF Rebecca needs a cook for her 'puffer boat which takes small groups of tourists on week-long tours of the Scottish coastline.

Emily soon makes friends with the customers, especially an elderly lady called Maisie, and with Rebecca's niece Kate and her father Alasdair, who just happens to be a local GP. So much so that she doesn't really want to return to the
Jacqueline
Dnf 31%

Dear me that was dull. I used to enjoy escaping into a Katie Fforde, but I don't remember them feeling quite so, well, middle -aged.
Agi
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases, 2016

"A Summer at Sea" is Katie Fforde's 22nd novel, and every Sunday evening, when I turn the TV on, it looks like there is film that she's written for the German television, and I really have no idea how she does it. I usually don't watch TV, am not the biggest fan of movies, but those written by Katie are - just like her books - uplifting and full of great settings, and I really like watching them, it's my hidden pleasure :) And also, when I read synopsis to "A Summer at Sea" I thought this might
Charlotte Smith
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad I read this book. Wasn't sure about it but it turned out a good read.
Amanda
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another adorable book from Katie Fforde. I'd love to be able to live in her world but at least I get the chance for a few days every year.
Eva • All Books Considered
Review originally posted at All Books Considered: 4 STARS

I am loving all of these re-releases of Katie Fforde's books! I think these are older book and that they've been given updated covers and are now coming out on kindle. You can read a recent review of one of these other re-releases HERE. But getting back to A Summer at Sea -- this one was so fun, so heart-warming! I loved the setting in Scotland and on the water in the 'puffer' (boat) and I really, really loved Alasdair -- the incredibly
Kylie
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 2.5.

This was a wholly unsatisfying read for me. From the beginning it was obvious what would happen, which made the story irrelevant. Had it been more interesting, then at least it would have been a good read, but it really wasn't. There was so little to it that it became really repetitive. Add to that that the love interest was a bit of a dick, especially when he goes off about (view spoiler)
Mandy Radley
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read mainly detective/murder mysteries while I've been on holiday thought I'd have a change and Katie Fforde never disappoints. Very predictable but a lovely read whilst laid on the sun lounger.
Lesley Book Lover
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 16000
Another enjoyable read from Katie Fforde.
Mandy
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy quick read. More fluffy than usual so got a bit bored hence the 3 stars.

Popsugar challenge : book with a season in the title
Emma Crowley
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So we may still be languishing in the cold, dark, gloomy days of winter but Katie Fforde's new novel - A Summer at Sea is here with its cheerful bright summery cover to remind us that the warm, glistening days of Spring and Summer are just around the corner. This cover was colourful and whimsical and gave the reader a real flavour as to what was in store for us between the pages of Katie's 22nd book (excluding short stories). This book was a welcome addition to my reading list as with any new ...more
booksofallkinds
Emily is a midwife who is exhausted from always having to defend her beliefs and position on home births, so when she gets the opportunity to help out her old college friend Rebecca, she jumps at the chance. Taking a sabbatical from her job, she volunteers to cook on Rebecca's puffer ship which serves as holiday accommodation, and with it, she gets a different perspective on her life, and what she wants from her future. With lovely scenery and cosy scenes with the many guests and crew on the ...more
Debrac2014
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
I enjoyed this chick lit story! Easy reading! It reminded me of the Harlequin stories I read years ago! I will admit I got a bit annoyed with Emily when she seemed not to know her own mind! 3.5 stars!
Clare
Review to follow.
Amina
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What hell is this. I can’t remember the story
Judith
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nadeschda
Usually I like slow-paced novels where I can read a lot of well-written descriptions of landscapes and especially descriptions of things I'm not that familiar with - e.g. the job of the midwifes and the whole birthing-scene. What I also liked was that Emily was about my age and I could relate better to her. The season on the puffer sounded exciting, the budding friendship between Katie and Emily was endearing and the relationship between Alasdair and Emily was very promising and I was happy ...more
Thebooktrail
Summer at sea with Katie Fforde sounds like a lovely way to explore the islands of Scotland!

Visit Crinan in Argyle and Bute via fiction: link: Come Sailing with Katie Fforde

Fancy fishing and cooking on a boat in Scotland? A puffer boat or the Vic 32 Puffer built in 1942 to be precise which is the star of this story.

Not quite the setting that a midwife from Gloucestershire would be expected to adapt to quickly but Emily is keen to get away and really it seems so far removed from her former life
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know what to say, I feel like I have waxed lyrical about Katie Fforde's books a fair amount in the past, and no idea how to come up with anything original to talk about how brilliant A Summer At Sea is.

Because needless to say I absolutely loved this book, from the first few pages I was drawn into another cosy and comforting story that this always talented author has written. With a great location of the wilds of Scotland, and Emily has two jobs which are both very interesting.
Bernadette Robinson
7/10 from me. My thanks to the Publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review.

Katie Fforde's books are all similar in some ways, as they're usually fun reads about relationships and the problems encountered by the couple that the story revolves around.

In A Summer at Sea, our female lead character is at a junction in her life, Emily is a midwife and her relationship status is a singleton. She's happy with life in some ways, but in others she feels that
Bookread2day
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The boat in a Summer At Sea is a real boat based in Crinan, round the Highlands and Islands in Argyle. Its real name is VIC 32 but it is known as the Puffer. The Puffer is an historic craft with a huge fan base of holiday-makers and will be selling A Summer At Sea on board.
I loved reading about single Emily who is a midwife who worked for a midwife-unit that helps mother have their baby at home. GP Derek Gardner thought that it was unsafe for mothers to have a home birth. Heavily pregnant
Helen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books-read
I picked this up as I was attracted to the beautiful cover and a chance to try out the author for the first time. The story is set in the Western Isles of Scotland where protagonist Emily accepts a summer job as a cook assistant on a puffer boat. My personal highlight included the chapters focusing on this as I did feel some of the on land periods dragged a little. The pace of the book was a little slow, but the characters were lovely as was the overall story.
Rachel Gilmer
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this book was so very unlike Katie Fforde........It was as if someone else had written it....I have all her books and loved everyone of them. This one was ...sorry boring .... I normally buy the books to read first... but I think in the future I will borrow from the library.
Alayne Emmett
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read quite a few of Katie’s books over the years and I’ve enjoyed most of them. This was no exception. It was a bit twee and I guessed the ending but I still enjoyed it. She’s a great writer and her books are a great escape.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Maybe This Time
  • The Little Teashop of Lost and Found
  • A Walk in Wildflower Park (Wildflower Park Series)
  • The Endless Beach (The Summer Seaside Kitchen, #2)
  • The Newcomer
  • Happiness for Beginners
  • A Vintage Summer
  • Hetty’s Farmhouse Bakery
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Woman
  • Scones Away! (The Cornish Cream Tea Bus, Book 3)
  • Single for the Summer
  • Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • Wickham Hall
  • A Match Made in Devon
  • The Mother of All Christmases
  • Christmas on the Island (Summer Seaside Kitchen #3)
  • A Patchwork Family - Part Two: Dreaming Big
  • A Patchwork Family - Part Four: Coming Home
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until ...more
“She tried to sound casual and upbeat but in her heart she felt a sudden bleakness.” 0 likes
“Emily wasn’t used to having her knitting skills questioned.” 0 likes