Start by marking “El rey espantapájaros (Dorothy debe morir, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
El rey espantapájaros (Dorothy debe morir, #0.5)

El rey espantapájaros

(Dorothy Must Die 0.5)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  1,512 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews
Once upon a time, the Scarecrow's only wish was to have a brain. This digital original novella is the fifth installment in the prequel arc to the edgy and thrilling New York Times bestsellers Dorothy Must Die and The Wicked Will Rise and follows the Scarecrow after he finally gets his wish.

In The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, the Scarecrow received the gift of a brain from the W
ebook
Published March 2017 by Roca (first published November 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about El rey espantapájaros, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El rey espantapájaros

Candace Robinson
This one was still good but not what I was hoping for! I was hoping to see the demise of Scarecrow, and for it to be darker like Heart of Tin. However, it still had some pretty cool history, and I definitely dislike Glinda!
Tabby
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?
Catching up before I read Yellow Brick War

What I thought

I don't have much to say, but it was much better than that creepy Tin Man story!

Oh but Ozma taking down that Ginger bitch and pissing off Glinda!!!!!

Reddish
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Creo que de los 3 compañeros de Dorothy en este retelling, Scarecrow es el más interesante, o por lo menos el que más me intriga. Me encanta que haya una novela de cada uno de los 3, y sobre todo me fascina poder conocer los puntos exactos en los cuales cada personaje cambia. Simplemente increíble.

Catherine ♡
This one was okay, but I wished it showed more of the Scarecrow's change, rather than just the events that had happened.

I think I just felt a little detached from everything - also because of the random new characters that were introduced, but I did like how it told us more about the history of Oz.
Emerald
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novellas
Emily
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella gives great insight as to the very start of the series. It is definitely a must read!
Cami V. Romero
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
No espere que me guste tanto esta historia, en serio me sorprendió :D
Nunca me interesó mucho este personaje, pero luego de Wicked... Fiyero <3 <3 jejeje
Vivian Chen (Vivian's Book Pavilion)
This is post originally on Vivian's Book Pavilion

Ah! This one is slightly better than the first. I think Scarecrow was indeed an interesting character in the series…before he was crazy as well. I love reading! So I’ve totally no objection for someone to sit around library all day long. But…you are a king!!!! Or, “were” until the army come to attack and Glinda came.
“You ain’t the real king, you old strawbag, and I’m dumping you out on your straw behind.”

Someone came to challenge Scare,
Rebecca
A much better installment to the Dorothy Must Die series than that horrible book about the creepy Tin Man. This novella concentrates on the Scarecrow right after the Wizard puts him on the throne as a placeholder till Ozma, the true leader, comes of age.

Scarecrow loves having a brain and plans to use it to read books but an attack on the palace nixes that idea. He's forced to flee with the Lion and meets up with Glinda who's obviously up to no good. The only question is if he'll be smart enough
Shelbie Ammirati
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella is a high 3.5 for me, so I am rating it at 4 stars. It was definitely a better novella than Heart of Tin and I enjoyed seeing things from Scare's point of view. I love Danielle Paige though, no matter what!
Tiffany
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faeries, magic
As sadistic as the Scarecrow is in the series I was expecting this novella to be a little more gruesome.

I was surprised to see the Scarecrow's journey unfold. With the Tinman he was just "in love" and everything else was ignorantly ignored. With the Scarecrow he did not start out cruel or sadistic. He just journeyed down a road where he felt in order to keep up with the rest of villains he had to evolve.

What better way to evolve than to steal the brains of other intelligent creatures? :)
Drew
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.25/5

Review coming soon!
Clarissa
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Tin Man's obsession (aka "love") was creepy, but at least it was interesting. Sorry, Scarecrow, but your internal monologue was just boring.

The entire time he was just wondering if his gift from the Wizard (i.e. his brain) was working. He really didn't do a whole let other than let things happen around him. Although, he seems to have caught on the evil Glinda way quicker than everyone else, so props there.

At this point, I'm too far into this series to stop. I have to finish it now.
Samantha
Look, I get that these characters all had their own story leading up to the main novels, and I get that they all became who they were for a reason. I just....can't bring myself to care about these rather dull side characters. I only have a couple more of these and then I'm done with them though, so that's something to look forward to.
Martha Elena
Hasta ahorita esta secuela es la que mas me ha gustado. El Espantapájaros es el personaje mas noble de la historia original de Oz, asi que fue interesante ver como su inteligencia ya no era utilizada solo para el bien, sino para la"venganza" y la malicia.
Odo
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, library
3.5/5.0
Alexander
This is the 5th prequel to the Dorothy Must Die series.
This book focuses in more on the background information of the Scarecrow (called Scare in the book), Glinda, and Ozma.

The books showed how the Scarecrow became twisted on his own and how Glinda used to be good, but after a series of events her evil side started to show. If you were to look at all of the prequels on a time line of when they would take place, I feel that The Straw King would be first on the time line.

The book is action backe
Sharon Mariampillai
This was a good read. I am wondering how the novellas turn out for each character. In this novella, the scarecrow's past is examined. I enjoyed some of the story. However, there were parts were I was bored. I really enjoyed seeing Lulu. Also, I now know the reason of why Dorothy came back to Oz. It was intriguing at the beginning and end. The story was not that engaging in the middle. I think this is my least favourite novella of the Dorothy Must Die stories. I hope Ruler of the Beast is better ...more
Tarryn
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review to come. Will include why I absolutely cannot stand this series and all of its novellas and yet I'm in too deep to not finish it.
Belva
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
The quality in this series is now on a downward spiral. Enough said.
Karsyn
2.5 Meh. Not as interesting as some of the the other prequels. A few good parts. Getting caught up before starting Yellow Brick Road.
Cameron Cassidy
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of these novellas continue to amaze me!
Stephanie
If this book was suppose to help me understand the Scarecrow better, it failed. Enough said. 3 stars for originality
Baker St Shelves
Nice story. Fast paced compared to the other novellas.
Morgan
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Tin Man's novella.

Definitely a side of The Scarecrow's story that we wouldn't have seen otherwise.
Zachary Flye (Zach's YA Reviews)
Review:

Protagonist: When I went into this novella, I expected it to largely take place around the same time as Heart of Tin, and show how the Scarecrow, here nicknamed Scare, became twisted by the gift the Wizard imparted upon him at the end of The Wizard of Oz. Let's just say I was partially right. Scare starts out as a very sympathetic character, he just wants to be the best ruler that he can be. This, Scare thinks, involves a lot of reading. However, when a rag tag group threatens his rule an
Rebecca Kipp
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ayrdrie
I think that out of all of the prequel novellas, this was the one that I was most looking forward to. Unfortunately, that excitement to read this novella worked against me. The scarecrow was one of the darker characters in the series and one of the most intriguing to me, and I was looking forward to reading his slow descent from the kind scarecrow into the evil scientist that he would later become. However, this book barely showed that. Most of it takes place when he was still kind. This book to ...more
Madison
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
This novella had been nearing four stars for most of the book. It gives us the reason why the Scarecrow acquiesced the throne so easily and reveals the small bits of change that happens in the trio (being Tinman, Scarecrow, and Lion). The plot moves forward and there is conflict that includes the other characters of the story as well as how the character is intertwined. I expected this sort of level from Scarecrow, who I consider the most prominent from the trio, and was happy to see that I was ...more
  • Jem and the Holograms #3 (Jem and the Holograms, #3)
  • Jem and the Holograms, Volume 2: Viral
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court Vol. 5: Refine (Gunnerkrigg Court #5)
  • Ava's Demon: Book One (Ava's Demon, #1)
  • Voice of Gods (Blood of Gods and Royals, #0.5)
  • I AM
  • The Emerald City of Oz
  • I Hunt Killers - Free Preview (The First 10 Chapters): with Bonus Prequel Short Story "Career Day"
  • The Burning Hand (The Orphan Queen, #0.3)
  • Undiscovered (Unremembered, #1.5)
  • A Tithe of Blood and Ashes (Drake Chronicles, #6.4)
  • Stardawn(Starglass, #0.5)
  • The Rebel (The Maeve'ra, #1.5)
  • The Heir Apparent (The Internment Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Zombie Halloween (Goosebumps Most Wanted Special Edition, #1)
  • Whisper of Souls (Prophecy of the Sisters Novella #1)
  • Flotsam & Jetsam (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.2)
Danielle lives in NY. Before turning to YA, she worked in television & was nominated for several Daytime Emmy's. Dorothy Must Die is her first novel.

Dorothy Must Die (4 books)
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)
  • The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2)
  • Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die, #3)
  • The End of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
“The thing you'll never understand is that it doesn't matter how much information you put in your brain. It's about what you do with the information you have.” 4 likes
“Kings and queens come and go, but power stays with the powerful. You don't have to be the King of Oz to rule it.” 2 likes