Start by marking “Deep Water (Castings, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deep Water (Castings, #2)

Deep Water

(Castings #2)

Centuries ago, Acton and his people displaced the Travellers, the original inhabitants of the Eleven Domains. Now, Saker the enchanter is driven by this ancient rage. With the bones of his fallen ancestors and the blood from his own veins, he will raise armies of the dead to slake his revenge.

But what really happened when Acton came through DeathPass a millennium ago? To
Published November 12th 2008 by Orbit (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Water

Start your review of Deep Water (Castings, #2)
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)

Reviews and more

I found the writing and the setting especially beautiful in this second instalment and it was really interesting getting the chance to learn more about the history of this world and more about the characters. I know I found the first book in the series a bit strange in terms of writing and characterisations but even then I couldn’t argue of how beautiful the setting of this world is and how vividly described it all was.

One thing
Liviu
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing

Superb sequel to Blood Ties, Deep Water takes the trilogy to another level by delving in the mysteries of the richly imagined Eleven Domains.

We follow our heroes Ash, Martine, Bramble, Leof as well as seeing vignettes from occasional characters that add to the rich woven tapestry.

Bramble witnesses the past and the life of Acton, Ash needs to find his true image in the secret Deep that is open only to Traveler men and get the secret spells to help stop Saker, Martine follows Safred the
Marian
Mar 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-now
After about 1000 pages in this series, I must admit I got tired of all the side stories of everyone our main characters came in contact with-- Other than that I enjoyed the plot. Looking forward to the release of book three.
Christopher Ball
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this trilogy. I needed something entertaining and engaging, and these books provided. I especially like the theme explored in these books that there is no true good or evil. Any character perceived as evil has motivations with which the reader can relate and even support, and any character perceived as good has done regrettable, sometimes "evil" things. I especially like the storyline exploring Acton's history and how he is revealed not to be the monster that some of the characters ...more
Ravindu Thimantha Gamage
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything I expected from the sequel to 'Blood Ties' and more. Even more vividly written than its predecessor, the story went through the history of the Eleven Domains and explained everything that led to the creation of the world as we know from the first book. Acton's story was told beautifully through the journey of Bramble's mind and just like the previous book, the subplots and minor side-stories about characters were a reserve for your mind to take a small break from the ...more
SBC
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Things did get a little darker in this sequel, but it was written with depth, complexity and compassion. I found the interwoven narration fascinating and really enjoyed the plot and characters.
Anne Bussell
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling and intimate

Great story told very well from multiple pics. Usually that doesn't work for me. This does. This is the second in a great trilogy.
kelsie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
10/10 Stars

I can’t even explain how much I loved this.
Soho_Black
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: used-to-own, reviewed
"Blood Ties", the opening part of Pamela Freeman's "Castings" trilogy was a decent opening, but darted between characters with all the feeling of a chick lit style novel and, for me, interrupted the flow of things. The story was entertaining enough, but the writing style detracted a little from it and one of the main characters seemed pushed into the background.

Following on directly from the events of that book, "Deep Water" starts with Bramble, Ash and Martine on their way to see Safred, the
Karen Field
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As a reader, I found that the first two books of the trilogy spoke to me. I enjoyed the characters, especially their depth, and I related to their stories. I also enjoyed finding out what made them tick by reading their “mini stories”. Often we accept traits of characters on face value, but the author of these books offered reasons and circumstances that made me feel sorry for even the nasty characters. As I said in my review of Blood Ties (Book 1), this trilogy is the best adult writing I’ve ...more
Michael
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My hopes for the second book of the trilogy were not disappointed. The characters are further developed and the story takes off, making the sequel more interesting than the first book. The format is still the same. Freeman alternatingly devotes each chapter to one of the main characters or tells the story of a shortly appearing supporting character. Besides Bramble, Ash, and Saker, the stonecaster Martine and the warlord's man Leof are now also main characters, widening the perspective of the ...more
Lighthearted
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Eleven Domains is a land haunted by its past—literally. Ghosts are everywhere although most people only see them on the day of their Quickening. That is changing—Saker is raising ghosts from the distant past and giving them substance—as well as purpose.

Having come together at the end of Blood Ties, Bramble and Ash now part ways—Bramble to look for Acton’s burial place and Ash to learn the secret songs. If the Well of Secrets is correct, both are needed if Saker is to be stopped.

I cannot put
Ruth
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
c2008: For a second book of a presumed trilogy -this was really good. I did battle for the first paragraph or two until my memory started to activate. The pace was great and the characters of Ash (captures the essence of those who wish they could do things but overlook their own particular talent), Bramble (who is really kick ass in this book), Saker (evil knielvel) and Leof (think olf fashioned loyalty and chivalry) develop even further. I love the plot device of random POVs that help with the ...more
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teenage, fantasy
Volume 2 of the Casting trilogy has Bramble agreeing to go back in time to view the life and decisions of Acton and his men, so that she can counter the wicked Enchanter, Saker, who is raising ghosts to slaughter his descendants.

While she is engaged in this, Ash journeys to the Deep to meet his father and to discover the old songs, which may also help overthrow Saker. Martine and her band help protect Bramble while she is under the time spell and then journey to Foreverfroze to take ship to
Jackie
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, epic
Just as good as the first book.
I liked the inventive way the author had us learn about Acton's life, an important figure who died 1000 years ago. Again, the different POV, enriching the story in a first person setting.
The quest, the magic, the stonecasting...impressive. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Being left in the middle of the store, I'll continue immediately with Full Circle.
I'm anxious to get started...
Craig
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Very fine second book in the series. More plot driven than the first, but still has a number of small vignettes of passing characters. Seems like fewer than the first though, although some of that is replaced by another device the author uses (not gonna spoil it :) ). Guess the world is mostly built by now, although actually there *were* surprises that way throughout even this second book. Very well done.
Deborah
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
excellent! not always easy to sustain a reader's interest and keep the story gripping through the middle volume of a trilogy, but this worked brilliantly for me, with several familiar (and some new) characters' stories interwoven, as in the first book, plus Bramble undergoing an involuntary journey through the minds (and bodies) of people from what to her is the distant past.
rich, complex and beautifully woven.
Penelope
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good fantasy novel.
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
I loved the first book in this series and the second was not a disappointment. I was heartbroken to leave the characters behind when I finished the book and just can't wait until book 3 comes out later this year. I well written, heartfelt story which enfolds you a world you don't want to leave. Simply wonderful
Kate
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
These books just keep getting better. Solid world-building, excellent characterisation, an intriguing plot; there is nothing here not to love. I especially like the way that even "walk-on" characters get to have their say here, I think it gives the books a depth that is lacking in a lot of modern fantasy fiction.

Keep up the good work, Pamela Freeman!
Tara
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad to finally finish this up!!! started it ages ago. the 2nd "in-progress" book within a month's time to get finished up!!!! so glad!!!!

I'll have to look for the 3rd one & read it. may as well finish the trilogy. =)
Kate Forsyth
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm just loving Pamela Freeman's fantasy series so far! Book 1 was absolutely brilliant - so beautifully written and very fresh & unusual in its structure and focus on the stories behind even the most minor character. Book 2 is a little slower but still filled with light and brilliance. Loving it!
jD
Pamela Freeman is very creative and the world she has built is "Fellowship of the Rings" good. Can't wait for the final installment although I do not think it will turn out well for the main characters. The way things are going, they are all going to die or come very close.
Rachel Toh
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All who love fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
See my review on the first book.

As a second book, good enough filler. I did feel the minor character stories a little choresome in this one though. Regardless, could not stop reading, finished the book in a day.
April Sarah
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I just devoured this second installment. It perfectly matched the first story and continued to tell its story beautifully.

There were times were I got a little confused by the sudden change of voice but overall this book is very well done.

I was left wanting to know what happens next.
Yvonne Boag
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Loving the reread on this trilogy!
Sandie
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
...kind of dragged a bit in the middle of the trilogy
Annji
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Second in The Castings Trilogy. Thoroughly enjoyable but it loses a star for overdependence on a tiresome narrative device.
Christopher Bashforth
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Usually middle books of Trilogys are weak but this was a superb read. I really liked the looking through of a character by another character events that happened thousands of years in the past.
Megan
I might do a review later, but all you need to know is that these books are amazing.
Sasha
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Great high fantasy with an unusual world. Includes some unusual character sketches and a pretty hard look (for a fantasy book) at the relationship between a conquered people and their conquerors.

• Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part One (The Walking Dead #3)
  • The Road to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #2)
  • Rise of the Governor (The Walking Dead #1)
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part Two (The Walking Dead #4)
  • The Foundations of Buddhism
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • The Science of Enlightenment: Teachings and Meditations for Awakening Through Self-Investigation
  • Reaching Out: Interpersonal Effectiveness and Self-Actualization
  • Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, Volume 1: Sutra
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries
  • The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons (Calvin and Hobbes #7)
  • Opening the Door of Your Heart: And other Buddhist tales of happiness
  • Bridges Out of Poverty: Strategies for Professionals and Communities
  • Birdie
Pamela Freeman is an Australian author of books for both adults and children. Most of her work is fantasy but she has also written mystery stories, science fiction, family dramas and non-fiction. Her first adult series, the Castings Trilogy (Blood Ties, Deep Water and Full Circle) is published globally by Orbit books. She is best known in Australia for the junior novel Victor’s Quest and an ...more

Castings (3 books)
  • Blood Ties (Castings, #1)
  • Full Circle (Castings, #3)