Start by marking “Beyond the Lens (Lucy Mitchell Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Lens (Lucy Mitchell Book 1)

Beyond the Lens

(Lucy Mitchell #1)

When twenty-six-year-old Lucy Mitchell loses her job, she momentarily loses her mind too and agrees to take part in a reality TV show. Before she knows it she’s jetting off to a piece of paradise on a beautiful Spanish island.

Much to her surprise, Lucy makes new friends and has the time of her life, even indulging in a behind-the-scenes romance with a hunky cameraman.

Conv
Published November 10th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Lens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Lens

Archit Ojha

There are so many things I want to talk about right now!

First of all, this book is dazzling !

I loved everything about it.

Lucy Mitchell, 26 year old has lost her decent paying job just half an hour before and currently she's standing in front of the camera. They are shooting a reality show and they ask her all of a sudden that if she'd like to be a contestant.

Without thinking anything, she says 'Yes'. A big 'Yes'. They are about to shoot her 24/7. A cameraman would follow her entire time. Well
emma
this is a book about british people who go on a reality TV show, and considering i don't particularly care for either reality TV or british people (just kidding! kind of), i probably shouldn't have expected to like this book.

HOWEVER.

i was really in the mood for a romantic comedy and this seemed summery. also i am feeling summery.

unfortunately, though these characters spent seemingly 98% of the time they didn't spend in pubs in a pool, this did not feel particularly summery. or romantic. or comed
Pooja
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, owns
Artistic and Original.

Beyond the lens opens up with a fantastic start. Lucy just figured out that she has lost her job. Her Mom is so excited about it! No, seriously! In the way to her home, Lucy encounters a reality television show team and asked in front of the live audience, if she's up for a challenge!

She replies with a YES and since then, we see that her life will never be the same. Where will her fate lead to her, we don't know yet! There's only one way to find out, read the book!

The cove
Surabhi Sharma
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Reality behind the reality shows. You are an ordinary person one day and after a week you become a household name. Some loved you and others hate you. And now you cannot amend what is already done.

Lucy Mitchell gets redundant from her job. She walked passed signal then a lady holding a mike with a camera focused on her, appeared. She asked her to join a reality show from a famous production company soon to be aired, which will be shouting in Spain. Lucy said ‘Yes’ spontaneously and packed her st
kirsty
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great

Fab read really enjoyed thank you for writing I love your books x x x x x x x x
B.R. Maycock
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You’ll remember I reviewed Friends Like These by Hannah Ellis (read review here ) and My Kind Of Perfect (review here and extract here) and was thrilled with how warm and relatable her characters were, and how easy it was to fall into the story lines and accompany said characters on their journeys. This book, I’m happy to say, also ticked the box in this regard, plus so many more.

We meet Lucy Mitchell, shocked by the fact that she’s just lost her job, and in the mood to rebel just a little:

‘I’d
Heidi Ha
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
A sophomoric effort at best. The book is SO BORING. The whole "reality show" section was one huge snooze-fest of "and then we ate, and then we went swimming, and then we did a silly obstacle course, and then we got drunk, and then we giggled, and then we put on bikinis..." The characters were so flat and uninteresting that it was impossible to keep them straight. The book *almost* got interesting when the character returned home after filming, but even that quickly fell flat.
A'ndrea (Auni)
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Ellis delivers again. I really enjoy her books. The characters in this book are extremely likable. I love a good chick lit type of book.
Deetz
Mar 23, 2019 added it
Cute quick read
Samantha March
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the Lens by Hannah Ellis was an immediate attention-grabber. It’s very quick to the point – Lucy Mitchell loses her job and her sense of reality for a brief moment – and while her guard is down, she gets asked to partake in a reality show . . . in Spain. Still reeling from the news of her redundancy and her mother telling her to be more adventurous, Lucy says yes and is immediately whisked onto a plane with a camera in her face and a lot of strangers turned roommates to try to befriend.
T
Amanda
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hidden-gems
**I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Copy of this book**

Lucy has just been laid off from her job and doesn't know what to do. When an opportunity to go on a week getaway in Spain is offered Lucy is excited and a bit reluctant. There's just a catch - she would have to agree to be filmed for a possible reality show.

I will admit that I am guilty of watching reality shows and taking their word for what happened. But reality shows are anything but reality. I really enjoyed how the book presented the
Sophie-Leigh Robbins
Beyond the Lens was the first novel I read from author Hannah Ellis and I liked it. The story is cute and will leave a smile on your face while reading.

When Lucy loses her job, she gets whisked away to an island for a reality tv show. She soon befriends the other candidates and they spend their days completing challenges, swimming in the pool and having fun. But when they return home after one week, there is a shocking surprise waiting for them.

The story is told in 2 parts and I'm sure that you
Martu Castro Vallejo
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I went into this baby without knowing what it was about and I read it in like two sittings. Yes, it was that good.

At the beginning of the week, Lucy is just a regular girl that lacks the sense of adventure. All it took to trigger this journey was a “yes”. This book showcases the path from ordinary to famous. Who would have guessed that she would meet such a great group of people and a cute but shy cameraman in the process?

I found the plot to be extremely original; I’ve never read anything like i
Marjorie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I enjoy a good rom-com as much as the next woman "of a certain age" but it is always a bit of a risk trying a new author. Luckily Ms Ellis does not disappoint and has presented the reader with a quirky and funny novel that centres around a reality TV show. I was expecting something along the lines of UnReal but whilst it does touch on the manipulation of the edit suite it is much more about the disparate group of characters thrown together by circumstance ...more
Robin
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet Romantic Comedy That Shows There is More to Reality TV Than What We See

I received an ARC of Behind the Lens by Hannah Ellis in exchange for my honest review
This was a cute concept, Lucy, our heroine, is let go from her job and stopped on the street to join a new reality TV show about strangers going on vacation together. Risk adverse Lucy is encouraged by her crazy, free-spirited mom to take more risks and her amazing stepmom to try it out. So off she goes.
Almost immediately, like while
S.Cardona
Jul 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I usually don’t write reviews unless I love or hate the book and this book I honestly hope is the worst book I read this year. I don’t know what possessed me to finish it but I did it and feel like I should earn a medal or something.

So here goes my unfiltered thoughts while reading this book.

Why did people speak with so many exclamation points? The dialogues felt like four years old hyped on sugar talking.

The settings were so badly described that you couldn’t paint a clear picture of the actio
Linda
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
💕Will Lucy's true character show through when a reality show rocks her world and leads her to love?!💕
February 9, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
💕👍👍A sweet romantic adventure, well-written and a very enjoyable read with a satisfying conclusion for just about every character. I thought the plot was original and the main, slow-blooming romance for heroine and newly-unemployed Lucy was lovely, though fraught with hiccups! The book was split into two parts. The travel adventure in Spain/
Nese
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this eBook for free from Amazon for an honest review.
Although some people may find it interesting and a fun read, this book is not my cup of tea. I can’t really say it is a badly written book because it is not really a book but reads like somebody’s vacation memoir. Most of the book is a one long dialog among the characters and the rest goes something like this: “took the cab to go home to pack, was driven to the airport to board on a plan, got off the plane in Spain, arrived to the m
Katie G
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was incredibly boring. I kept reading so I could count it as one of my books for the year, as I'm rather behind, but I probably would have been better off quitting and trying something else.

The characters get along, which was nice, but they were hard to tell apart and not at all interesting to read about. The chapter endings never felt natural to me. I assume we're supposed to find Lucy and Adam cute, but I found it annoying that she was always trying to stop him from doing his job an
Susan Barton
Beyond the Lens is a light read, suitable for a weekend at the beach or sitting beside a pool. The characters are all pretty likable and endearing.

I enjoyed Part 2 much more than I did Part 1. I found the beginning of the book to be just a tad boring and repetitive after a while - seven days of romping in the pool, innocent flirting,etc. which all went to prove that all the "contestants" really did get along with one another.

Overall, this is a good, quick book to read over a weekend. The writin
Sarah Fraser
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fourth fantastic offering from novelist, Hannah Ellis.
Beyond the Lens is the first book in a brand new series, this time we meet Lucy Mitchell and discover what happens when you suddenly become a "yes" person.
This story had me entertained from the outset, and, quite simply, I loved it.

I recommend this book to people who want some fun, light reading, and a bit of escapism from reality! Only books I've wanted to read twice get 5 stars.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader's Copy of this boo
Mrs L
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very easy to read, lighthearted comedy romance. On the day Lucy loses her jobs she is offered an all expenses paid holiday to the sun. Only catch? She has to leave today, and she will be part of a Big Brother style house programme sharing a house with 5 other people.
Tired of always doing the right thing, and urged to say yes to more things, Lucy goes. At the house she meets her new housemates, and begins a set of challenges with them, as well as getting to know them, always being mindful of bei
Kim
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A feel good friendship story

This is about a woman who gets laid off from her job and then is ambushed into a free holiday in Spain for a week and also be a part of a reality TV show with 6 other people. What no one expected was what a great time they would have and what great friends they would become. That is until they come home and find out threw creative editing, Lucy is cast as the crazy chick in the TV show. There is romance and Lucy finding her voice. Good read.
Cynthia Warren
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was hooked into reading this book because it was about a reality show contestant, which I felt was a unique subject, plus I love reality tv. I very much enjoyed the plot twist when everything went wrong. Sadly, the writing and the rest of the plot dragged afterwards. I ended up skimming pages over who ate what, and character interactions that meant nothing. It was like reaching for a soda on a hot summer day, to find that it's flat. :/
Bobbi Townsend
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting~

The backdrop is a reality TV show that turns out to be smoke & mirrors~ The contestants are manipulated to enhance drama. From the the onset of the cameras depict the contestants in a light that engenders drama~. There are individuals who are duped. It was disjointed & in need of continuity~
Teresa Perrott
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

What happens when you sign up for something that then turns into something completely different? You decided to go abroad for a tv show meet and make some fabulous friends, come back home to find everything is different. Can you deal with the pressure that brings. Read to find it how
Dianne Garber
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reality Edited

A light story of winning a trip to Spain to be on a reality show. The main character is surprised to make close friends with the other contestants, form a special attachment to her cameraman and gave a great week only to return home to the public hating her. Must read to find out the ending.
Mykal towery
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Another great book by this author! I have flown through four of her books now over my Winter break from teaching and am on to the next one. I’m not sure what exactly to call this genre, maybe romantic comedy with a focus on friend relationships? But I love it. It’s just the lightheartedness I need.
Cherie Melbourne
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read

I loved the way this story was developed and the characters that made this story what it was. I had to laugh at some of the antics, but I did feel for poor Lucy when the group returned to reality. I'm looking forward to reading book 2
Carol Sandford
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice surprise

I really enjoyed this story, even though I loathe reality TV. I particularly enjoyed life after Spain and the aftermath the show left behind for those who were there. A lovely romantic read
Read 4 Review: ARCs available for chick lit book 1 9 Nov 04, 2016 02:55PM

• The Doctor's Unexpected Family (Port Provident: Hurricane Hope #2)
  • On His Turf
  • Butterfly Season
  • French Twist
  • Twenty-One Trees
  • Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • My Soul Immortal (Fated Eternals, #1)
  • The Recipe
  • One Chance, One Moment: Book One - The Mandy Story
  • Alyssa and Dalton
  • Witches Protection Program
  • The Carlswick Affair (The Carlswick Mysteries #1)
  • Prosecco & Paparazzi (The Passport #1)
Hannah Ellis is originally from Sheffield, England and spent time living in America, Australia and Ireland before finally settling in Munich, Germany where she now lives with her husband and children. She self published her first novel 'Friends Like These' in 2015 and is now busy juggling two small children while trying to write more books!

Lucy Mitchell (2 books)
  • Beneath these Stars (Lucy Mitchell Book 2)