Start by marking “Deep Denial: The Persistence of White Supremacy in United States History and Life” as Want to Read:

Deep Denial explains why race is still with us, and what the Civil Rights Movement can tell us about today.

Part I takes a broad historical view, from seventeenth century Virginia through World War II., examining the origins of white supremacy as a structural feature of US society and describing its evolution over time.

Part II features the Civil Rights Movement, how it emer
Published October 7th 2016 by Crandall, Dostie & Douglass Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Deep Denial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Denial

Start your review of Deep Denial: The Persistence of White Supremacy in United States History and Life
Mary
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deep Denial is an important history of White Supremacy with each chapter introduced through the autobiographical stories of the author. Mr. Billing's story puts the history of systemic racism in a personal context telling his own journey of learning to live an anti-racist life.

Such an important book for this time in our history when our inability as a society to dismantle White Supremacy continues to cause so much death and destruction. We are the generation that must do this work and facing whi
Barbara
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Makes a good case for undoing white supremacy. If you are white and CLAIM to be a Christian, this is a must read.
Therese
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book for all white people living in the United States. If white person does not know what white privilege is, they would certainly know by the end of the book.

The author raided in the deep South is still involved in undoing racism. I found his personal experiences with white racism very illuminating.

The biggest idea I got from this book is that racism is mostly not an issue at the individual level (it can be though), but racism is institutionalized and systemic throughout so
Lucinda Winslow
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is an act of courageous transparency by David Billings, master trainer for People's Institute for Survival and Beyond and their life-changing workshops called Undoing Racism. While telling the story of racism in the United States, he begins each chapter with full disclosure of his journey as a white male in Mississippi, each unconscious, bigoted act, and then his slow awakening. His journey needs to be our journey. White people need to do an about face to look at our part in building a ...more
Pam Venne
David Billings takes a historical look as well as a personal look at the Civil Rights movements in the United States and its impact on those involved.

While his personal stories at the beginning of each chapter set the stage, I found it hard to read the italic type and skimmed a lot of it.

I did not agree with his findings toward the end of the book. I think he went too far over for me to buy into reparations and responsibility for what has happened to blacks. Perhaps that is what he calls my Wh
C. Gordon
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awakening to the racist in me

I was enlightened by the information in this book! I am a white !liberal and thought I was not a racist! I can now see why my black friends have told me that even though I don't recognize it in myself if is definitely there. I have a great deal of work to do before I can make that claim. Thank you, David Billings!
Evelyn Taylor
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome awesome book.

David puts white supremacy in perspective for me. I knew some things but was surprised about others. As a black female who is personally dealing with white supremacy because of dating a white man. It all makes since. I look forward to any other books if their is any.Maybe more people like David can make a change for the better. No more racism should exist.
Lianne JM
This is a very illuminating history of white supremacy in the US and also very accessible. I also liked the combination of history telling and personal reflection, which I think makes the book more powerful.
John Babb
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mississippian David Billings has tackled a subject which whites have struggled with for years. He writes of his experiences during his childhood and young adulthood, relating them to the persistence of racism in the U.S. I haven't read an analysis this thought provoking.
Steve Burby
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the best book on white supremacy to date.

Don't be thrown by the academic title: Deep Denial is a compelling and moving combination of history and autobiography from the inside.
Christine Cottrell
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book
Patti
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tough one to read. So much history. So much to think about. So much more work to be done.
Lydia's Library
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and convicting
HalKid2
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Only This Book Were Required Within Every School System Curriculum. Awarded 5 stars on Goodreads.

I did not award five stars because this is an easy book to read. It's not. And not because it is full of exceptionally well-written prose. I am giving it five stars primarily because of the power and importance of its message and the way in which it forced me to reevaluate white privilege and its flip side, racism, in America.

The author, David Billings, is a minister and experienced community orga
Hugolane
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book not expecting to be surprised by much, and on one level I as not. As an historian, even one whose focus has been on Europe much more than the United States, the political developments were generally not news. The personal narrative that begins each chapter how was touching and informative about an experience I don't know too much about beyond my knowledge of Elvis's and Sam Phillips's early life. The glimpses into the reality of southern life and the way segregation w ...more
Scott
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great stuff

I've heard good things about this book and I plan to participate in a book discussion going on about it.
monique thorngren

• Running with Sherman
  • The Other Einstein
  • The High Divide
  • A Slave in the White House: Paul Jennings and the Madisons
  • Have You Seen Luis Velez?
  • Looking for Me
  • The Holy Thief (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #19)
  • Lady in the Lake
  • Awkward: The Science of Why We're Socially Awkward and Why That's Awesome
  • The Wicked Trade (The Forensic Genealogist #7)
  • The Matriarch: Barbara Bush and the Making of an American Dynasty
  • Pretty Tales for Tired People
  • Love Goes to Press
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful
  • The Asylum (The Forensic Genealogist #.5)
  • Jell-O Girls: A Family History
  • Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #24)

News & Interviews