Start by marking “Unexpected World: The EMP Survivor Series Book 1” as Want to Read:
Unexpected World: The EMP Survivor Series Book 1

Unexpected World: The EMP Survivor Series Book 1

(EMP Survivor Series #1)

#1 in Hot New Releases in Dystopian and Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction!!!

Author Chris Pike explodes on the scene with a compelling survival tale about human courage and gritty determination to live, to endure, and to persevere against all odds.

Audiobook
Published October 14th 2016 by Chris Pike

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected World, please sign up.
June Day The narrator's name is Kevin Pierce. Looks like he reads the whole series :( That's disappointing when a bad reader ruins a good book. Guess I won't…moreThe narrator's name is Kevin Pierce. Looks like he reads the whole series :( That's disappointing when a bad reader ruins a good book. Guess I won't be listening to this one on audio...(less)

Start your review of Unexpected World: The EMP Survivor Series Book 1
Olivia
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post-apocalyptic mood continues.

Another quick read with a few predictable twists and turns but exactly the kind of book you want when you’re in an apocalyptic mood.
Erin
Nov 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow. I love me some prepper fiction, and a good EMP tale is my sweet, sweet nectar. I finished this book, but mostly because it was so poorly written, it was actually humorous. I knew from the prologue, when within this course of a paragraph, the POV switched from gator to human within a paragraph, that this was going to be a gem of read. For awhile, my friend and I were putting sticky notes on all the most ridiculous phrases, ideas and clichés, but by page 60, it was just getting out ...more
Scott Swigart
Sep 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Boring, unrealistic, mediocre writing, campy, and chauvinistic. If you want to read a somewhat better EMP post apocalyptic series, I recommend "One Second After"
Tacuazin
Abandoned. This book is rubbing me the wrong way. I hate characters whining, and I especially hate authors who depict women whining... poor little things the men have to save and educate. Damsels in distress, apparently too stupid to get their act together in times of catastrophe. Thanks for the men around, and their guns, and their displays of testosterone, who need to come and save the day. Oh piss off.

Yep, the wrong way indeed, and I think I didnt cross the 15% mark.
Chessy The Cat
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dillon Stockdale, Assistant District Attorney in Houston, has his world flipped upside down when an EMP strikes the USA. As vehicles come to a stop and lights and phones no longer work he realizes that his daughter’s plane has probably crashed in the swampy area just inside of Louisiana. Finding her is all he can focus upon. Once committed to the search will he be able to even find the crash site in the Atchafalaya Basin? First, though, he must get home.

Pike’s first novel in The EMP Survivor
Carolyn
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On Amazon, this book gets a 4 1/2 star average based on 787 reviews. I have no idea why!
I felt the writing was very adolescent. Everything was explained in detail! I feel like the author is insulting my intelligence! I know what a rock looks like (okay, that's a stretch but you get the idea). Just about every chapter ends with a foreshadowing sentence which I also found very annoying. The characters were very stereotypical (gun slinging man with nicely dressed woman who needs taken care of).
chucklesthescot
Dillon is a deputy DA who thinks he is on the verge of a big win and calls his daughter, who is on a plane to share his excitement. As they talk an EMP hits, causing her plane to crash and another plane to crash into the building that he is in. With his rival defence council Holly, he is able to escape her veangeful client and get out of the building alive. Dillon has to get home first so he can gather the supplies that he will need to set out on the dangerous journey to get Cassie, knowing her ...more
Brian's Book Blog
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
He'll do anything to get to his daughter

4.5 out of 5 stars

The entire US electrical grid is down from an expected EMP blast. No electronics work, cars die on the side of the road never to be started again, and planes come crashing out of the sky.

Honestly, the only reason that this loses half a star was the lack of an ending. The book just sort of finished. I write all the time about understanding an author wanting to continue a series, but you have to give the reader some sort of closure. I mean
Claudia
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was a quick read, started and finished in one afternoon and evening. Throughout the story, Chris Pike emphasizes the need for being prepared, without becoming preachy. It is inherent in the story by contrasting the plight of those not prepared, with the main character (an assistant D.A.), who is. The main character has one goal, to find his daughter who was on her way to school in La. when the emp hit, downing her plane in a swamp in La., he's in Texas. He's anxious ...more
Patiscynical
Predictable

An EMP, (probably) causes power outage, plane crashes, no cell phones, etc. The hero states the EMP was caused by a nuke, but no one asks who attacked the U.S., which seems strange. And it could have been a solar flare, but that's not discussed.
Two attorney's, one a former medic with the military, the other a female who happens to own a ranch, are the main characters. They leave the city together, searching for the man's daughter, who was on a plane heading towards New Orleans, but
Sheila
I love that the apocalyptic mayhem, most likely an Electomagnetic Pulse (EMP), though since we are only seeing things through the eyes of our main characters we don't really have CNN news reports to tell us exactly what happened, which I guess is how it would be in a real disaster like this with everyone trying to guess what happened, and some living in denial.

I have to give the book extra credit for having a loyal dog in the story, and the dog survives to the end of this book 1, which always
Sondra
Great EMP thriller from new Indie author Chris Pike. 4.5 stars.

I appreciate how he sticks more to the human aspects of an EMP fallout rather than overloading a reader with the science of it. The pace is great. I didn't want to put the book down. It is also well edited-- sometimes an indie book is littered with errors I didn't notice more than one.

An EMP is a real threat and it's about time more stories are being written showing how quickly society will break down. As an animal lover, the dog as
Emily
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh...

I can not honestly believe so many ppl have five star reviews...

This book is not a smooth and easy read, where you just easily slip into the story. I like to be swept into a story, consumed in the world the author creates. To much time is spent describing guns, it reads like a jerky instruction manual, even tho the idea for the book is great! I expected more from the reviews I saw.... . None of the characters are very likable, and few descriptions are given.
Sara Mcbride
This book was a piss poor representation of the genre. I thought it felt rushed and to be honest, I could care less about what happens to the characters.

If it wasn't Kindle Unlimited, I would be pretty unhappy right now.
Sarah Davies
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Chris Pike's debut novel is a gritty and compelling survival tale about human courage and steadfast determination to live, to endure, and to persevere against all odds.

Assistant District Attorney Dillon Stockdale is on the phone with his daughter when an EMP obliterates the entire electrical grid of the United States. Anything relying on a computer is fried, including the plane his daughter is on. Gripped with the terrifying realization the plane has crash-landed somewhere in the
Lori
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Great start to a series. I really enjoyed this story. It pulls you in from the start and doesn't let go until the end. It was an entertaining, well written, interesting, engaging and enjoyable story. Definitely worth your time.

You never know where you will be when a disaster hits and your world changes.

When SHTF your child is hundreds of miles from home. What lengths would you go to in order to find your child. If your Dillon Stockdale you'll will do anything in your power to find your child.

Candy Robosky
I liked it to a point. The main character Dillon is an overly obsessive father/lawyer who is kind of a jerk and kind of a good guy. He acts like a jerk to Holly which I tried to write off as being an overly concerned father worried about his daughter but there were times it is hard to forgive how rude and dismissive he is. If he prepped his daughter as well as they not claimed he did then how come she didn't have enough sense to grab her backpack when things started going south.
If Holly is as
Brandon
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People being eaten alive by alligators, riding dead silent planes into the swamp, and escaping courthouses under barrage from jetliner pieces plummeting from the sky. This book, so far, has one of the most interesting "moment of disaster" stories I've yet come across. The journey afterward, and the characters themselves, were very well done, as well. I'm looking forward to listening to the next book in the series. It was a little shorter than most of its kind, but wasted very little time ...more
Jeff
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Although this book doesn't exactly end in a cliffhanger, the story is definitely unfinished. It's a fairly formulaic post-apocalyptic story with prepared protagonists facing stereotypical challenges. It's sufficiently engaging for me to want to continue reviewing this series. It doesn't hurt that Kevin Pierce delivers his customary excellent performance.

NOTE: I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Robert Chapman
I decided to read this book on the recommendation of another author who's books I really enjoy.

It seems that I cannot get enough of good EMP stories and fortunately this one didn't disappoint. As with most first in series books, the emphasis is on the initial event and the introduction of main characters who must now survive.

The pace of the book is perfect and the author did a great job in setting up the story for the next book.
Gar
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate the series (up to the end of #4) 3-4. I enjoyed the storylines and characters. I'm a sucker for anything in this genre so I'm sure my rating is somewhat biased.

The narration is definitely not great but satisfactory. The storylines are not very deep, which would have made the series much more enjoyable.

As a stand-alone book, #1 would leave you with a lot of questions but as a set, these books are worth the read.
Chapter
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Donna
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An EMP story

Not sure I like Dillon who seems very capable in the end of world type scenario depicted, but seems gruff and even disrespectful of Holly whom he met before the event. He tells her more or less to shut up and do as he says.
Still the story is interesting and held me. It is an easy quick action packed read. On to book two. Maybe this guy will soften up emotionally toward Holly. One can hope.
john h irish
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the five book series...

Give the book 10 minutes of your time and you'll get hooked like I did. The series will grab your imagination and leave you wanting more.. All five books are five stars!!!!! Hopefully Chris will continue the story line and let us know what happened to the dog left in the house in book five.....
Preston  Dannelley
Fighting to survive

After reading Chris' book "Stand Your Ground" , I liked it so much, I bought this whole series. I am very glad that I did! If you like this type of story, I highly recommend these books. If you are a Texan like I am, it's even more interesting because she is also and speaks our language.
Bob Cloutier
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, if you are a fan of these types of stories, you will love this book.

Great story with wonderful character development. It was so easy to dig into the story. And once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. Got to start the next book in this series. Enjoy this read, I sure did.
Dave Arthur
Apr 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly one of the most dis-jointed and error-strewn books I have ever read.
Having said that I am reading the second in the series but only because I want to believe his writing has improved. (up to now [10%] - NOT!).
I love this genre, but if this author wants to take one piece of advice: read some Steven Konkoly(?) books on similar turf.
See how he develops his characters AND more importantly PROOF-READS his books before publication.
Fernando Correia
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thrilling story of survival

At a basic level it's a prepper's fantasy about how all their training and preparation can save their lives in an apocalyptic scenario. It's a page-turner, little by little you get invested in the characters' struggle. I'll get started on the next book right away.
Deedra
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read!Kevin Pierce is the perfect narrator.When an emp hits everything goes down,including the plane a girl is on while talking to her dad.He and an enemy (fellow attorney) traverse the US to find her and a place to be safe.I can't wait to read the other books in this series!“I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher
Peyton Young
This book series if filled with some miraculous coincidences. If the Characters played the lottery they would be multi billionaires. Guys daughter is flying cross country and her plane goes down after an EMP. The guy somehow guesses exactly where her plane went down. Still worth a read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Survive the Chaos (Small Town EMP #1)
  • 300 Miles (Perilous Miles #0.5)
  • Impact: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival series (Cloverdale Book 1)
  • Ashes of the Unspeakable (The Borrowed World #2)
  • What's Left of My World: A Story of a Family's Survival
  • The Borrowed World (The Borrowed World #1)
  • Legion of Despair (The Borrowed World #3)
  • Solar Storm (Survival EMP Book 1)
  • Chaos Comes (After the EMP #4)
  • Survive the Conflict (Small Town EMP #3)
  • 15 Miles From Home (Perilous Miles #1)
  • Breakdown (Dark Road Book 1)
  • Survive the Aftermath (Small Town EMP #2)
  • Dark New World (Dark New World, #1)
  • When the Power Is Gone (A Powerless World #1)
  • When the Peace Is Gone (A Powerless World #2)
  • The Final Homestead: EMP Survival in a Powerless World
  • No Direction Home (No Direction Home, #1)
Chris Pike grew up in the woodlands of central Texas and along the Texas Gulf Coast, fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, and dodging hurricanes and tropical storms. Chris has learned that the power of Mother Nature is daunting, from floods to category five hurricanes, to slippery ice or desert conditions. It pays to be prepared.

Currently living in Houston, Texas, Chris is married, has two grown

EMP Survivor Series (5 books)
  • Uncertain World (EMP Survivor #2)
  • Unknown World (EMP Survivor #3)
  • Unwanted World (EMP Survivor #4)
  • Undefeated World (The EMP Survivor Series #5)