Start by marking “A Darker Shore (Lady Evelyn Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
A Darker Shore (Lady Evelyn Mystery #2)

A Darker Shore

(Lady Evelyn Mystery #2)

1926: A year has passed since the events of "A Poisonous Journey" and Lady Evelyn has made a home for herself in Greece, living with her cousin, Briony, her husband, Jeffrey and Daniel Harper. Disturbing this island idyll is a letter, which arrives from France with troubling information about the Daniel’s long-believed-dead brother, Henry. A new journey awaits! With the sh ...more
Published December 13th 2016 by Bookbaby

To ask other readers questions about A Darker Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Darker Shore

Start your review of A Darker Shore (Lady Evelyn Mystery #2)
James
4.5 stars! A Darker Shore is the second book in 'The Lady Evelyn Mysteries' written by Malia Zaidi. I was first introduced to this series through the author's blog last year. I followed for months, then decided to read the first book. I added the rest to my TBR, and when I saw the latest one available on NetGalley, I quickly purchased the middles ones so that I could catch up. The books are part historical fiction, part mystery, but more a study of life nearly one century ago on a different cont ...more
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
There is something very special about "The Lady Evelyn Mystery Series".
Malia Zaidi released her debut novel called, "A Poisonous Journey", in 2015. It was
wonderful!

In "A Darker Shore", both books historical mystery crime novels, Malia immediately makes us feel at home with the characters. The dialogue is intimate and we feel like we are in the room with them.

This story begins on the island of Crete. The year is 1926. The images are as lovely as you can image.
Lady Evelyn Carlisle and he
Malia
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I might be a little biased...
Sophia
The world of the 1920's era is a fascinating time and I enjoy when I come across a book/series that takes me there while at the same time providing an engaging story and a cunning mystery.

A Darker Shore is the second in the Lady Evelyn mystery series behind A Poisonous Journey. In a pinch, a reader could get by with skipping A Poisonous Journey, but I would caution against that since this very much felt like an ongoing story from the first one just with a new series of mysteries for
Kathleen
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked A Darker Shore: A Lady Evelyn Mystery, by Malia Zaidi, even better than the first book in the series. It once again features British heiress Lady Evelyn Carlisle, but the mystery in this book is far more than solving a murder. It deals with the lingering suffering of war, in this case World War I, with its staggering number of casualties.
The Battle of the Somme was the most gruesome battle of a brutal conflict, with over one million men wounded or killed. 0n the first day alone, th
Cheryl
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
A Darker Shore is the second Lady Evelyn Mystery book. Yet, it can be read as a stand alone novel. Having not read the first book I was ok jumping right into this one. Not having an established prior relationship with Evelyn was fine with me. I got to know her through this book. She is a sturdy lady. What I mean by this is that she is not easily the fainting type. She can handle herself in a situation.

This is a nice, cozy mystery. The time period is what first drew me to this book. It leaded it
Gayle Pace
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, murder
MY THOUGHTS
MURDER!
Murder seems to follow Lady Evelyn everywhere she goes. Even though the plot is murder, the author gives the reader much to enjoy, that is entertaining and much to put the mind to work trying to solve the crime (crimes). The year is 1926, being a year since Lady Evelyn went to Greece to live with her cousin, Briony, her husband, Jeffrey and Daniel Harper. A year has passed since the events of "A Poisonous Journey". Everything seems to be going great until..... A let
eloise vellucci
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply Moving

I chose this book because it took place after the Great War and this period in time interests me. I am also a mystery buff. However the book gave me so much more than I was expecting, exploring the reaction of various souls to the tragic occurrences of their lives including war. And juxtaposing one tragedy with another. It was an extremely satisfying read.
Elise
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I flew through this second installment in the Lady Evelyn series! All of my favorite aspects from the first novel are back with new twists and a new, vividly described location. The story follows witty (and sometimes sassy) Lady Evelyn as she helps Daniel solve a mystery regarding his brother, only to get mixed up in murder and intrigue in the vibrant setting of Northern France. The characters and relationships are written to be just as bright and lively as they were in book 1, making the friend ...more
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Deeply descriptive novel which takes us on a journey. This journey crosses oceans and takes the reader along with the protagonists deeply into people's psyches and deals with strong emotions. We begin, believing we are searching for Daniel's brother, long thought dead. Is hope always a positive thing?

This is a strong study in character and personal strength.
Interactions with supporting personalities and situations drive this novel.
Early atmospheric, this is a portrait of
EmmaFz
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished my advance copy of the second Lady Evelyn mystery and enjoyed it at least as much as the first. The mood is somewhat more sombre, the backdrop of the first World War brings added depth to the story. Characters are interesting and involving again. Overall a very enjoyable book.
Dec 01, 2016 marked it as to-read
Oh, cannot wait to see what happens next! :D
Homerun2
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-war
Excellent second series entry. Set in the decade after WWI ended, these books are atmospheric and moving, and emotionally articulate about the lasting damage done by the war.

Main character Lady Evelyn has been living with her cousin on the island of Crete after exiting from her living situation in England with a prickly aunt. When Evelyn's friend/companion Daniel receives a jarring letter from a woman in France, he is stunned when she writes that she caught a glimpse of Daniel's brot
Sari Taurez
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a great mystery that takes you back in time, this is the book for you.

Malia Zaidi weaves an intricate tale in the 1920s. The details are so lush, the internal dialogue so candid, that I honestly forgot that this was a modern book at certain points!

The mystery is great, but I found even more fun in following these characters. The emotional stakes are high in this one, and Zaidi perfectly details Evelyn's thoughts and feelings as she journeys onward. E
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
Dark Shore was a cozy historical mystery that took protagonist Evelyn to a far shore, a foreign country to support her friend and love that turned to dark with mysterious death. It was about learning various aspect of humanity, post war trauma, coming out of grief and loss, and finding peace with past.

Characters-

Evelyn was fabulous. She was developed character and yet learned more from the mysteries and aspects of humanity she encountered in this installment. She also rea
Pamela Harstad
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Zaidi did it again with another fast-paced historical mystery. The characters, Evelyn and Daniel are back, and Briony and family, too. The story starts when Daniel receives a letter that his brother may have survived WWI. When they arrive in France, another bombshell of sorts occurs. The characters come alive from the page with twists and turns until the end. Well done. I was given a copy of this book for my honest review.
Bill Pitkin
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will want Google Earth at hand to trace their steps

From The first book in Crete then the journey to France, being able to go down to the streets where the characters spent their time, was so fascinating. I love this series even more for the arm chair travel opportunity.
Reff Girl
For fans of historical mystery, just finished A Darker Shore: a Lady Evelyn Mystery. This is the second book in the series and a wonderful plot set in post-WWI France. I love seeing Lady Evie grow and challenge herself--on to Oxford!
Deb
While I enjoyed the characters, I found the book much too slow moving, and had difficulty reading it to the end.
Wilda Finn
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

I love these characters and story lines. The books are well written and intriguing. My only complaint is with the editing and proofreading.
Geraldine Lopez
Oct 13, 2019
Christy
Jun 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Murder at the Seaside Hotel: A 1920's Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 5)
  • The Affair of the Christmas Card Killer: The First Lord Kit Aston Mystery
  • Murder in the Third Act: A 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 6)
  • Deathly Ever After: A 1930s Murder Mystery (Poison Ink Mysteries Book 5)
  • Death Misconstrued: A 1930s Murder Mystery (Poison Ink Mysteries Book 4)
  • Murder in the Shadows: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 16)
  • Death by the Book (Poison Ink Mysteries #1)
  • A Friendly Little Murder: A Violet Carlyle Cozy Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 13)
  • Death Witnessed (Poison Ink Mysteries #2)
  • The Royal Baths Murder (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • A Poisoning In Piccadilly (The Lady Eleanor Mysteries Book 1)
  • Murder in the Cards: A 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 4)
  • An Unfortunate End
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • The Black Cat Murders: A Cotswolds Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 2)
  • The Rose Garden Engagement: A 1920s Romance Mystery (Lola Rose Mysteries Book Three)
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • A Willful Grievance: A Lillie Mead Historical Mystery (The Lillie Mead Historical Mystery Series Book 2)

Hello and thanks for stopping by!
I am the author of A Poisonous Journey, A Darker Shore, The Study of Silence and The Golden Hour the first four novels in the new Lady Evelyn Mystery series.
I'm always happy to discover new books to add to my toppling pile:-)

Check out my blog, The Princess and the Pen: http://www.princessandpen.com/

or get in touch here:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Malia-Zaidi-...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaliaZaidi

Hello and thanks for stopping by!
I'm always happy to discover new books to add to my toppling pile:-)

Check out my blog, The Princess and the Pen: http://www.princessandpen.com/

or get in touch here:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Malia-Zaidi-...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaliaZaidi

Reviews Published

Lady Evelyn Mystery (4 books)
  • A Poisonous Journey (Lady Evelyn Mystery #1)
  • The Study of Silence (Lady Evelyn Mystery #3)
  • The Golden Hour (Lady Evelyn Mystery #4)
“To most people this undoubtedly sounds a terribly dull way to pass the time, watching someone read. I see in it a strange intimacy, witnessing another person as they are taking a journey, mental if you will, but a journey nonetheless. For a book, a good book, is nothing less than a passport to some unknown place, and a truly great book can be a mirror of our being, reflecting hidden parts to which even we can sometimes be blind. My” 2 likes