Start by marking “Women In Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win” as Want to Read:
Women In Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win

Women In Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win

Women in Sports highlights notable women's contributions to competitive athletics to inspire readers young and old. Keeping girls interested in sports has never been more important: research suggests that girls who play sports get better grades and have higher self-esteem--but girls are six times more likely to quit playing sports than boys and are unlikely to see female a ...more
Published July 18th 2017 by Ten Speed Press

Start your review of Women In Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I love any sort of book that caters to my feminist side (which, if we're being honest, is all of me?), and I also am a slight sports fan, so when I saw this book, I had to grab a copy! I've heard good things about this book's predecessor, "Women in Science", and while I haven't read that one, I can safely say that I LOVED this book. I'm not much of a non-fiction reader, so reading anything educational honestly usually requires something special added in the mix, and this book absolutely has that ...more
Camille ☼
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The day I have children or niece or nephew or any contact with a child and I need to buy them a gift this is what I'm getting for them.
Susan
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: need-to-buy
My main complaint is that I read this via audiobook and didn’t get to see the illustrations— so ig I’m just rating the audio format. If I read it physically I probs would have given it 4 stars :) I’m so grateful for these women for fighting for their rights in sports, without them, I wouldn’t be able to swim 😢 I love women omg why am I straight 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Sophie Crane
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Great book to provide girls with the back stories on how and what made women excel in sports. Role models for future sportswomen.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, nonfiction
4.5 Stars
Women in Sports is a beautifully illustrated look at women athletes who broke the mold, change the game, and paved the way for other women to join them on the podium.

WiS highlights fifty women who come from a multitude of backgrounds, countries, and participate in a wide variety of sports. There are women who were the first to participate, women who broke down barriers, and those who broke records. It also includes a few little infographics about things like musculature and even the pay
Kristin Davison
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank netgalley and Ten Speed Press for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Filled with lots of world leading sports women this is an important book. The illustrations are beautiful and I love the diversity of the women included.
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sports have always played a big role in my life. Whether I was playing them or watching them with my friends and family, I have loved them always. Growing up, I did gymnastics, ballet, roller bladed, biked, swam, played softball and skated like a fiend. I skiied, played basketball, and was nearly recruited to Brown University as an ice hockey goalie. My sister played soccer and tennis, my dad was a gymnast and sailor, my mom was a three sport athlete and my grandfather played four sports and for ...more
ankita
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced digital copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Another great and inspirational read by Rachel Ignotofsky. After I read her book Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World, I became a huge fan and immediately requested this book on NetGalley.

It's so important to have books and other media that represent all of the extraordinary things that women have accomplished, regardless of what field they're in, and are still accomplishing. While I had
Daisey
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Sports are not something that really grab or hold my interest, so this was a perfect way to read about some amazing female athletes from the late 1800s to the present. The format of the book with bright illustrations and concise one page biographies is great. I truly appreciated the diversity of the women and the sports represented. This book shares a positive message of strength and determination on every page.

* I received an electronic copy of this book through NetGalley for an honest review.
LynnDee (LynnDee's Library)
Another stunning book from illustrator Rachel Ignotofsky. Featuring women sports figures from throughout history & the world, Women In Sports is definitely a must-read for fans of sports and/or women. ...more
Kelsey
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-women-19
Really enjoyed learning about the women in this book, especially many of the early athletes who had to push at so many barriers.

Read for Reading Women Challenge 2019 #10: A book about a woman athlete.
Danica Holdaway
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible and beautiful book about women in sports - all different types of sports, all different types of women. I am so glad I have this in my home for my girls to read.
Rhea
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Ignotofsky's other book, Women in Science, and this is just as good - her art is gorgeous and I learn about so many cool, trailblazing women throughout history.
Jessica Kennedy
I really loved reading every page of this.
Kristy
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read with gorgeous illustrations! Thankful for all these women! Definite must read for young girls that love sports!
Catherine
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
Lovely little introduction to some prominent women athletes and their accomplishments. The art is gorgeous and it and the text are kid-appropriate. Recommended as a good place to start.
This book gives an overview of the accomplishments of 50 female athlete's from around the world, including sports like cricket, MMA, swimming, and motocross.

Likely to be a useful starting point for school projects, readers who enjoy learning about athletes who topped their fields, and readers who want to learn more about women's history.

Illustration/artwork was fun!
Courtney King
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wish I could have read this book in 5th grade when I was the only girl in my flag football league and my dream was to be the first female winner of the Heisman. There are some badass female athletes out there. Women are strong and we can do whatever we put our minds to!
Catherine Raitt
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A really interesting book. As a lover of sport and teacher of PE, I found it fascinating to read about all these fantastic women from the past and present.
Tori (Book Chick)
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great, inspiring, empowering book! My 11 year old and I both enjoyed learning about the courageous women who fought their way to the top, to be the best in things that women weren't suppose to be good in at all.
Tara
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

This book couldn't come out at a better time. Celebrating women in general and those who competed in sports is important to do, especially the ones in the beginning when women weren't allowed to compete. There are women from long ago that most people don't know about and there are more recent women, like Simone Biles. There are great pictures and infographics that go with each story too.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital ARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Kristy
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an ARC from Netgalley.

This was such an interesting and enjoyable book. The focus of the book was not just women in the more commonly known sports such as swimming, gymanstics, soccer, or basketball. There were women breaking barriers in everything from ping pong to shooting to BMX and also featured women from around the globe. It still leaves me dumbfounded when I hear about women being the weaker sex or playing sports will be too harmful to the female body. These women and many more pr
Daisy Maughan
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a very inspirational book proving girls that they can achieve anything with perseverance and hard work.
Malcolm
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the welcome aspects (of many) of the recent revival of discussions of feminism has been the appearance of child-oriented publications centred on women who struggled, who broke barriers, who forced their way into social worlds widely seen as ‘men’s’ space, helping to bring about change that offered women and girls the space to be whoever they thought they might like to be. This collection of 50 women who defied the rules of grace and elegance to run, jump, throw, climb, ride, hit, sweat, s ...more
Ellen Scherer
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you know many women in sports? How many professional women’s sports teams can you mention off the top of your head? Unless you are a sports fanatic, I am guessing you would be struggling to name more than one or two. In fact, I’ll admit I knew very little about the relationship between women and sports until opening my copy of Women in Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win, by Rachel Ignotofsky.

This book is fabulous. I gladly award Ignotofsky a 5-star review! Not only does she succi
Savannah
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, feminism, nonfiction
Sell Me in a Sentence: An incredibly cute coffee table book which features the badass women who inspire you.

Short Summary: This is a book of 50 illustrated profiles of amazing female athletes! The book begins with athletes active during the beginning of the 20th century and ends with today’s pioneers.
Review: I love, love, love this book! The writing style is OK; it is just a collection of mostly short biographies after all. It is the illustrations and graphic details that really shine and make
Leah Rachel von Essen
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Women in Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win is a beautiful book jam-packed with excellent mini-biographies of some of the most iconic and important female athletes of history. It’s an incredible new read from Rachel Ignotofsky, with each athlete getting wonderful illustrations.

This book is excellent in every day. It’s diverse—there are women of color, disabled athletes, and bisexual and lesbian athletes. Ignotofsky is careful to note the extra challenges these women athletes faced.
Amanda - Cover2CoverMom
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can read all of my reviews on my blog -> Cover2CoverMom Blog

Another collection of mini biographies written & illustrated by Rachel Ignotofsky.  This collection features 50 influential women in sports.  Women have often been refereed to as "the weaker sex" throughout history, but here are 50 women that proved that statement wrong!

I appreciated that this book included such a diverse list of sports are represented here.  Dog mushing, skydiving, martial arts, bowling, roller derby, polo, mountai
Becky B
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of biographies of 50 women from around the world and in a variety of sports who set records, broke boundaries, and proved that women were just as sporty as guys. Each woman gets a two page spread, with an illustration of her, a quote, a few facts, and one full page of information with basics about her life, how she got into the sport, and her major achievements. The women are organized chronologically by their date of birth.

I like the diversity in locations these women are from and
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Herstory: 50 Women and Girls Who Shook Up the World
  • Women Who Dared: 52 Stories of Fearless Daredevils, Adventurers, and Rebels
  • Rad Women Worldwide: Artists and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History
  • The Little Book of Feminist Saints
  • Saving the Team (The Kicks, #1)
  • Schomburg: The Man Who Built a Library
  • Sabotage Season (The Kicks, #2)
  • Little Dreamers: Visionary Women Around the World
  • Pink Is for Boys
  • The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide to a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • Win or Lose (The Kicks, #3)
  • Bookish and the Beast (Once Upon a Con, #3)
  • Malala: My Story of Standing Up for Girls' Rights
  • Character Guide (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)
  • Who Do You Serve, Who Do You Protect? Police Violence and Resistance in the United States
  • The Proudest Blue
  • It's Your World: Get Informed, Get Inspired & Get Going!
  • It's Not All Downhill from Here
Rachel Ignotofsky grew up in New Jersey on a healthy diet of cartoons and pudding. She graduated with honors from Tyler School of Art’s graphic design program in 2011. Now she lives in beautiful Kansas City, Missouri, where she spends all day drawing and learning as much as she can. She has a passion for taking dense information and making it fun and accessible and is dedicated to creating educati ...more

News & Interviews