Start by marking “The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November/December 2016 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, #728)” as Want to Read:

CONTENT:

"Special Collections" by Kurt Fawver
"A Fine Balance" by Charlotte Ashley
"The Rhyme Man" b
Kindle Edition
Published October 28th 2016 by Spilogale, Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November/December 2016

Beth Cato
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I encountered a number of good stories and two works that I absolutely adored: "The Cat Bell" by Esther M. Friesner and "Special Collections" by Fawver. I added those two to my awards consideration list.
Kam Yung Soh
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
An average issue with fun stories by Ester M. Friesner and Matthew Hughes; also fine stories by Lilliam Rivera, Charlotte Ashley and Minsoo Kang. And it's always a treat to read a Gardner Dozois story as opposed to reading stories edited by him.

- "The Cat Bell" by Ester M. Friesner: a very entertaining light fantasy about a household for a famous actor run by a fussy, bossy cook who is secretly infatuated with the actor. However, there is one act she hates: feeding the actor's cats. When she giv
Brian
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this magazine. Fun, entertaining, unique and comfortable.
Deborah Replogle
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Good stories but nothing that made me go "Whoa!" As always got some good suggestions from the book recommendations and enjoyed the movie review
Skjam!
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction and fantasy fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: freebie table
The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction started publication in 1949. According to Wikipedia, it was supposed to be a fantasy story version of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine as it was at the time, classic reprints mixed with new material of a higher literary quality than was common in the pulps of the time. Science fiction was added to expand the possible pool of stories. F&SF has managed to publish fairly regularly ever since, though in recent years it’s bimonthly. It has a reputation f ...more
Josée Lepire
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Qualité inégale des nouvelles.
Quelques unes des meilleures nouvelles ne touchent que de loin aux littératures de l'imaginaire.

The Cat Bell, d'Esther Friesner:
Ton sarcastique, amusant, mais le personnage principal est antipathique, la fin est prévisible, il y a une cassure de point de vue obligée, mais maladroite, et la personnification du chat botté est trop près du chat dans "Shrek". 3/5

The Farmboy, d'Albert E. Cowdrey:
Progression peu crédible des personnages, les deux protagonistes féminins so
G33z3r
"The Vindicator" by Matthew Hughes —
This is another of the author's sword & sorcery stories of Raffalon the thief, and I think it's the best one so far (the preamble also says it will be the last of the series?) It stands alone just fine, and held my interest throughout, as Raffalon tries rather desperately to figure who hired the local assassins guild to kill him. ****

"Merry Christmas from All of Us to All of You" by Sandra McDonald —
A humorous story about Santa Corp.'s Arctopolis, cleverl
Jovan Trujillo
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Always a great feeling when I finish reading one of these magazines. This one had a lot of stories I have forgotten about because of the long gaps between reading. It got pretty beat up being carried everywhere I go. One story got me reflecting on how cynical I can be with certain things. Overall good. I look forward to writing in my book journal and moving on to the next issue in my backlog.
Heather Pagano
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, sf
I'm glad I read the issue. Short stories were solidly in the middle of the spectrum- some pretty good, some very good. There were no stellar standouts, but not a single story was subpar, either. The story about Santa's elves was good seasonal fun.
Kayla
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing particularly exceptional. My favorite piece was the book review...
Meran
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
review later
Lizabeth Tucker
There are eleven short stories and novellas in this latest issue. A good collection with some quality work, even one Christmas themed story. Overall rating is 4.1 out of 5.

"The Cat Bell" by Esther M. Friesner
Cook hated the cats that her employer insisted onadopting and feeding every day. She wanted nothing to do with them. So when a stray appears, she literally throws him out. While away on an enforced vacation, others who feed the cats fall into good fortune. A great twist on Puss in Boots, al
John Loyd
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fsf
7 • The Cat Bell • 23 pages by Esther M. Friesner
VG/Good. Cook is disgusted that she has to feed nineteen cats and when a stray comes in she shoos it out before the master can adopt it. Fear not cat lovers, the rest of the characters in the story adore cats. Clever.

30 • The Farmboy • 23 pages by Albert E. Cowdrey
Very Good. Gold is discovered on Omega-Alpha. Anna, Guy and Sazonov plot together to find a way to smuggle it home. Anna's lover, Chuck, makes it a gang of four. Chuck may be dumb, but
Leroy Erickson
This wasn't one of the better issues. It has a couple of good stories, but nothing that I'd urge people to rush out to buy it for.

Esther M. Friesner - The Cat Bell - 3 stars
- Puss-in-Boots updated. A mean woman gets her just reward.

Albert E. Cowdrey - The Farmboy - 3 stars
- Planetary exploration meets human greed. This story read like something from the 50s.

Lilliam Rivera - Between Going and Staying - 4 stars
- This one reads well and touches your emotions, but doesn't surrender by giving you
Jay
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty decent collection this month, my favorite this issues is a toss up between Merry Christmas and Lord Elgin. The Farmboy was also very good. Cat Bell was good, except for the fact I hate cats.
Tom Loock
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, sf, stories
Another good issue. Noteworthy stories/novelettes (alphabetically by author) for me were those by James Beamon (a variation of the story about bluesman Robert Johnson's deal with the devil), Albert E. Cowdrey (about an exploration ship and a new colony), Kurt Fawver (who used an old cliché and made something new of it), Esther M. Friesner (who managed to make me enjoy a story about cats) and Matthew Hughes (whose story about Raffalon will make me want to read the others as well).
The others stori
Kenny V
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fiction
Matthew Hughes was good as usual with "The Vindicator," a Raffalon story and sadly the last so I hear.

"Passelande" by Robert Reed was stupidly good. I loved the idea of vindictive garages punishing their owners for leaving them sloppy. Great characterization.

"Place of Bones" by none other than Gardner de Zois was also great.
Matthew
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
My favorite stories were by Lilliam Rivera, Charlotte Ashley, and James Beamon. Some of the others were a bit broad or derivative for my taste, but the columns were uniformly excellent.
Hans
Nov 09, 2016
Andrew
Dec 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009)