Start by marking “A Reference to Murder (A Book Barn Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Reference to Murder (A Book Barn Mystery, #2)

A Reference to Murder (A Book Barn Mystery #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Charli Rae Warren is back home in Hazel Rock, Texas, spending her time reading, collecting, and selling books—at least, the ones that don’t get eaten first by her father’s pet armadillo. Running the family bookstore is a demanding job, but solving murders on the side can be flat out dangerous . . .

The Book Barn is more than just a shop, it’s a part of the community—and Cha
Published May 16th 2017 by Lyrical Underground

To ask other readers questions about A Reference to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Reference to Murder

Betty
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, cozy, e-books
Cowboys, Cowboys, and more cowboys have invaded Basel Rock, Texas. They are there for a major Rodeo event. The cowboys featured are the Bull riders. The top bull riders are present and burying for three titles. Dalton Gibbs the leader insult Charli 's friend Scarlet. Then he disappeared as his brother Wyatt did seven years ago. He was last seen near Scarlet's trailer.
Charlie Rae Warren has troubles as someone tried to brand her with Dalton's number. Her armadillo adds much to the story. We learn
RO G'ma
A Reference to Murder is the second book in Kym Roberts’ Book Barn Mystery series and is a well-written, steady paced whodunit, with well-developed and likeable characters, humor, a sense of community and friendship, plus an adorable pink Armadillo, named Princess. There are enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing who the murderer is until the reveal. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading fun, well-crafted cozy mysteries.

Charli Rae (Princess) Warren fled her hometown aft
Janet Robel
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a cute mystery but not my favorite. I did love the Book Barn theme and Princess, the pet armadillo. The armadillo's antics are hilarious and made this more entertaining. Charli was just ok for me, and I wasn't a big fan of the bull riding circuit. Sorry, I'm on the fence as to whether I would read another one of these.
NicoleG
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Reference to Murder is the 2nd book in the Book Barn mystery series. With a fun setting including a pink barn that houses a book shop and also the quirky antics of a pet armadillo, this book is entertaining and contains a well planned mystery. Although I was a bit lost at times since I hadn't read the first book in the series, the author did give some back story now and then so I was able to follow along most of the time. Lots of characters to keep track of but all in all an enjoyable story.
I
Mary Brown
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Reference To Murder
A Book Barn Mystery, Book #2
Kym Roberts
5 Stars

Synopsis:

The Book Barn is more than just a shop, it’s a part of the community—and Charli is keeping busy with a fundraising auction and the
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back to Hazel Rock, Texas, we're now at the book barn (oh how I've missed you!!), Princess the albino Armadillo (still not allowed one, not sure if I can find one rocking about in Nottingham though) and Charli Rae and the wonderful characters who surround her!

This time there are cowboys wandering around the town for the big Rodeo event and fundraising action, we all know there will be shenanigans and they start pretty quickly!!

The story flows really well, the characters are well drawn ou
MsChris1161
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, own, reviewed, netgalley
The second book in Kym Robert's Book Barn Mystery series, A REFERENCE TO MURDER, is about danger and intrigue in a quirky and delightful small town. The heroine, Charli Rae Warren... or Princess, as most of the town calls her no matter how many times she asks them not to, is back in town to run her family's business, The Book Barn Princess. Charli shares her nickname and her apartment above the shop with her father's very pampered pet armadillo.

Charli's best friend is Scarlett, who owns the loc
Karen
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series and I quite enjoyed it. I have not read the first one, and it may have been a bit helpful, but I was able to enjoy this book. (I will be reading the first one.)
I found the characters entertaining and the book barn was an interesting idea.
The whodunit was well written and I look forward to reading more in the series.
I voluntarily read an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Jeri
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
I very much enjoyed this second book in the Book Barn series! Not only did it keep me guessing as to who the murderer was, if there was one, but it kept me guessing until the very end. It also had lots of cowboys in town for the annual fundraiser for retired cowboys and girls. Nothing better than a cowboy in a tight pair of wranglers to keep a girl interested!

Charli is fitting back into town well and settling into things at the Book Barn. She is getting local businesses on board for a fundraiser
Laura Reading
Even though anything having to do with Rodeo can be controversial, I loved this book.
It is a wonderful mixture of mystery, romance, small town living and friendship.
There is a lot of action and adventure as Princess (the human) Charli tries to protect her best friend, Scarlet, and figure out her feelings about and relationships with two (or is it three) handsome men around town.

Scarlet came across as the ditzy one to me. Usually respectable and responsible, her soft spot is a certain cowboy. Cha
Lisa Morin
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is the second book in the series and I loved this one. It read easier than the first book and I was glued to pages before long.
The Championship Bull Riding Rodeo is in Hazel Rock, Texas and everyone is geared up for a week of fun.
The CBR donates proceeds to The Cowboy Ranch, owned by Mayor Cade Calloway.
The small town is filled with fans and tourists, keeping the The Book Barn busy and keeping Charli on her toes.
When Charli isn't busy in the book store, she can usually be found with Princes
Barb
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
When the annual rodeo comes to town, along with its fundraiser, Charli and the rest of the residents of Hazel Rock have to deal with egos of some of the better-known cowboys. When one of those cowboys goes missing, just a few years after his older brother disappeared, everyone suspects the worst. Despite warnings not to get involved, and some unexplained "accidents," Charli is determined to figure out the truth.

This is the second book in the Book Barn series, which I find myself enjoying much m
JoAn
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A Reference to Murder by Kym Roberts was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. After all, there is a book store, Charli, Scarlet, Mateo, Princess and cowboys to entertain the reader.

Scarlet may have just found her HEA and I couldn't be happier for her. But first Charli has to solve a mystery which is so twisted that I had to keep a notebook handy to write down the clues (or red herrings) as I was reading. I can always count on Ms. Roberts to write a story that has humor as well as a tightly wov
Jessica Robbins
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own-kindle
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Brenda
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Reference to Murder is the second installment in the A Book Barn Mystery series set in Hazel Rock, Texas and featuring Bookstore owner Charli Rae Warren. Settling back into her hometown after many years away, Charli and the Book Barn Princess are participating in the fundraising auction for the annual Cowboy Ranch Auction.

The Cowboy Ranch owned by Mayor Cade Calloway, is hosting the Invitational featuring all the top bull riders in the country, and the top rider is hunky Dalton Hibbs. Dalton t
Brenda Freeman
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
How can you not love a book with an armadillo as a character? Add in the book barn and a small town and you have the perfect setting for a cozy mystery.
Lauren
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My initial reaction after finishing Kym Roberts's A Reference to Murder? I want a pet armadillo too!

On a more serious note, however, A Reference to Murder was an incredibly engaging and fast paced read. Combining an intriguing mystery, charming main characters, and normal small town hijinks and quirks, A Reference to Murder is a book I just HAD to finish in one setting. It was a book that I actually fought sleep for just so I could figure out who-dun-it. Yes, it was THAT addictive!

As anyone wh
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I journeyed back to Hazel Rock Texas and checked in with Princess (Charli) and the gang. This time they were getting ready for a fundraising rodeo and auction.

I enjoy this series on many levels - Charli's business is the Book Barn - hello, books! The book is also set in Texas...I think there are references to North Texas but not 100% sure on the location within the state. But that is ok because this is a great big state and anywhere would be a good setting.

There are actually a couple of mysterie
Christina  Torretta
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This first book in this series is the first book I read during Dewey's 24 hour readathon! I wasn't blown away but thought it was a pretty good cozy mystery. It left me wanting to know more about the characters, especially Charli.

Since the first book was not my favorite in the cozy mystery genre, I started this one with trepidation but hope. I was also hoping that Charli would make up her mind and this would not turn into a love triangle. I understand though, because I would not know who to choos
Rosemary K
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hazel Rock Texas is hosting a fundraising rodeo and apparently a murderer. Charli Rae Warren is determined to make sure her best friend, Scarlet, doesn't get hurt by Dalton Hibbs. He's a bull rider with a big ego and lots of emotional baggage. When he goes missing, Scarlet becomes a person of interest. Is Dalton alive or dead? Charli is glad to be home and working at the family book shop. She missed her dad and the pace of life here. I liked Charli. She has spunk and nose for trouble. She plans ...more
Lin
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charli Rae Warren is originally from Hazel Rock, TX and is back to run the family bookstore, “The Book Barn”. Charli and her father’s pink armadillo are roommate in the apartment above the bookstore. Scarlett, Charli’s best friend, seems to be drawn to rodeo cowboys. Hazel Rock is also a retirement ranch for rodeo cowboys that can no longer work the circuit. Scarlett has hooked up with a brother of someone she dated seven years ago; also missing. What is Scarlett up to? Charli and her friends tr ...more
Jeanie Jackson
I loved the first book so much that I was afraid this one wouldn't be as outstanding but it was!!! Loved it. Kym Roberts brings something special to the cozy or light mystery genre and that is what I want in a book. Her characters a great and are people that I would admire or even want to know. Life isn't always easy but neither is everything shadow and gloom. The most of the characters are intelligent and strong although we know that Charli, also known as Princess, wasn't always strong. I loved ...more
Patrizia
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stelle e mezza
Questa serie prosegue con un altro bel libro. C'è solo un neo: prosegue il triangolo amaroso (o pseudo tale) e questa è proprio una cosa che non sopporto...
Il giallo è abbastanza complesso e ben strutturato. La protagonista continua a cacciarsi nei guai, ma questo mi sembra un topos per questo genere letterario o quasi.
Amary Chapman
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
Charli Rae Warren operates the Book Barn along with her father in Hazel Rock, Texas. Both participate in the yearly fundraising rodeo, this year additionally running an auction of artwork made at the Barn with tattered books.
Years before top rank rider, Wyatt Hibbs disappeared and his brother Dalton came this year to ride in his honor.
Dalton also disappears, Charli is attacked and things just get stranger. Fingers are pointed, some at Scarlet, Charli's friend and a person of interest as Dalto
Donna
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
What's more exciting than books and a good mystery? A Reference to Murder has Charli Rae Warren back in Texas at the Book Barn, selling books and solving murders. The story begins with a famous bull rider, Dalton Hibbs, having a drunken night of fun before he disappears. Charli has to get to the bottom of this incident, quickly before someone else gets hurt. A satisfying story of fun and suspense, filled with many great characters and surprises. Recommended for all those who love cozy mysteries. ...more
Barbara Tobey
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining cozy. There frequently is a pet in a cozy mystery. No dogs or cats here, but an armadillo. Our delightful protagonist is in Texas after all. Rodeo excitement, missing persons, murder, and romance all add up to an enjoyable read. The publisher provided a copy via NetGalley for my voluntary review.
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book; this is the second book in the Book Barn Mystery series written by Kym Roberts. Charli Rae Warren is back home in Hazel Rock, Texas, spending her time reading, collecting, and selling books—at least, the ones that don’t get eaten first by her father’s pet armadillo. Running the family bookstore is a demanding job, but solving murders on the side can be flat out dangerous. The Book Barn is more than just a shop, it’s a part of the community—and Charli is keeping busy with a ...more
Toni
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it

Sometimes you have to just accept you’re a Princess and move on. Such is the case for Charli Rae Warren in the latest Book Barn mystery, A Reference to Murder. Charli has been trying to get the town of Hazel Rock to quit calling her Princess since she moved back. In this novel she finally realizes the futility of that effort and lets herself be the Princess they’ve always thought her to be. Though the road certainly isn’t easy. It is her involvement in the local Cowboy Invitational Rodeo that fi
PAM
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like this new series

Charlie, aka Princess, is a feisty book barn owner, great friend to the folks in a small Texas town and is always getting in trouble as the mystery unravels.
Sherry
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Killer Plot!

Each time Kim Roberts puts out a new book I can't wait to download it. This story has just the blend of action, emotion, & edge, with just a dash of romance. There are lots of memorable characters including a unique pink armadillo! This book (& entire series) is an absolute must read!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Three career paths resonated for Kym during her early childhood, a detective, an investigative reporter, and a nun. Being a nun however, dropped by the wayside when she became aware of boys, they were a perk to life she couldn't deny. In high school her path was forged when she took her first job at a dry cleaners and met every cop in town, especially the lone female police officer in patrol. Foll ...more
More about Kym Roberts

A Book Barn Mystery (5 books)
  • Fatal Fiction (A Book Barn Mystery, #1)
  • Perilous Poetry (A Book Barn Mystery, #3)
  • Lethal Literature (A Book Barn Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Classics (A Book Barn Mystery)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)