Start by marking “Dead in the Water (The Cherringham Novels #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead in the Water (The Cherringham Novels #1)

Dead in the Water

(Die Cherringham Romane / Cherringham Novels #1)

Dead in the Water is the first full-length novel set in the sleepy English village of Cherringham, featuring the unlikely sleuthing duo Sarah Edwards, an English web designer, and Jack Brennan, American ex-cop. The last episode, A Death in the Family, saw Jack rush back to the US to be with his family, leaving Sarah behind…

On the night of the school prom, popular teacher J
Published October 10th 2016 by Bastei Entertainment

Start your review of Dead in the Water (The Cherringham Novels #1)
Louise Wilson
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A teacher is found dead in the Thames in a drug - related incident. It's the school prom at Cherringham High. The new head is convinced that the teachers death is suspicious and calls in Sarah Edwards to investigate.

This felt to me like a Murder She Wrote episode. It is not by any means a gritty story but as the story unfolds it does get more interesting. A nicely written who-did-it.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Bastei Entertainment and the authors Matthew Costello & Neil Richards for my ARC
Cathy Ryan
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since Jack had left for LA quite suddenly a year ago, Sarah believed their part time sleuthing ventures were over. But it seems Cherringham High may have a drug problem. The school her children attend. Tony Standish, a solicitor and Sarah’s long standing friend, together with the recently appointed head, ask for her help.

Sarah is unsure about a lone investigation but she can’t stand by and not do anything when drugs are involved and, looking more than likely, at her children’s school. Fortunate
Jessie Miller
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t stop reading

Wanted to know what happened to Jack. Glad he’s back. Hope this comes in audiobook soon, to add to my collection.
Karen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A popular teacher ends up dead in the river Thames on prom night. Was it suicide? Or is something else going on. Sarah isn't sure about looking into the case at first. Jack had returned to America a year before when his daughter and her family had been in a car accident and Sarah isn't certain she's up to it on her own. But since it's connected with her kids' school and there is a possible drug connection, she begins her investigation.

I enjoyed this novel-length book in the series and felt there
Christine Kennedy
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead in the Water was a great find on Audible. It was a quick easy listen cozy crime with engaging characters, a good plot, nothing foo disturbing and a satisfying conclusion. Brilliant as an in-between comfort book after I had finished the fine but challenging Boy Swallows Universe and before starting on a literary masterpiece for my next book club read. (Journey to the Stone Country)
Julia
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed a number of the early Cherringham short stories but eventually started to find them a bit formulaic. I was intrigued to see there was a novel-length story available and keen to see if that reinvigorated the series a bit.

I still like the characters - Sarah and Jack are great and I like their camaraderie and relationship. I also still like the light-hearted tone.

Unfortunately, it is a just a bit dull. The plot is quite thin and it really does feel like one of the short stories ha
Leanne
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging Mystery

Jack and Sarah are two of the most engaging and human characters in mystery fiction today. The stories are rooted in challenges we all face in daily life; raising children, tackling divorce, grieving for a lost loved one, starting a new life in a new town. We don't all solve mysteries, we'll leave that to the greatest team since Nick and Nora Charles. Looking forward to the next adventure, and love the new longer stories.
Stephie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-reading
I enjoyed this for the fun of visiting little Cherrignham, but I enjoyed the shorts more. Some authors are adept at making tight short stories and these two authors are in that category. I also read this one instead of listening, which took away a little for me. I really enjoy Neil’s reading of the stories. I still heard him in my head, but it wasn’t the same.
Sally Akins
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure: I received a copy of Dead in the Water: A Cherringham Mystery for review, but the opinions in this post are my own and unbiased.

A Cherringham High teacher dies in an apparent accident on prom night. The post-mortem soon reveals that he had taken drugs in the hours before his death. It looks like just another sign that the school is out of control, however the new head thinks there may be another story. Local web designer and part-time sleuth Sarah Edwards is called in to investigate,
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B01EY5W4I2
Reviewed For NetGalley and Bastei Entertainment
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.25 Stars

I have read many of the short novellas set in Cherringham, but this is the first time I have read a full length novel about Sarah, Jac
Sally
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I enjoy these Cherringham mysteries. I have been listening to the compilations, three stories per collection, and have listened to episodes 1-24. This seems to be a story that falls chronologically after Episode 24, as it picks up from an event that leaves you hanging at the end of Episode 24.

Neil Dudgeon does a pretty good job generally with his narration. However, in this one his lapse into a kind of hoarse voice is rather annoying. I kept wanting him to clear his throat. This happens occasion
Allyson
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in return for my honest opinion.

I liked this book right from the first chapter. I needed to know what happened to Josh Owens; did this small, sleepy town have bigger secrets than you would think. Was a simple accident or was there a murderer in their midst. Sarah, the local sleuth, is asked to assist in finding out what is going on in regards to some issues with drugs at the school, but she isn't sure she
Anne
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another satisfying entry in the Cherringham series, but as a novel length read I expected more character development. I've excused it in the novellas, but you got the page 'time" here for more. The authors could have added only 5-10 more total pages to explore what the year's separation did for Jack and Sarah and their relationship. We get a little on Sarah's side, but nothing really on Jack's.

The story takes place around Sarah's children's high school. Not the first time there's been a high sc
CrazyCat (Alex)
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well done cozy mystery novel, which I liked very much. Without a lot of action and bloodshed, Matthew Costello manages to put me under the spell. The story of the murder of the teacher Josh Owen happens in Chapter Two and from then on the search after "who dunnit" begins and this happens as I expect it to be in England. With meticulous detective work and the exclusion of suspects. The open end suggests that this will not be the last story with Sarah and Jack.
I chose to read this book and all
Trish R.
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So glad I got to spend time with Jack and Sarah again, in Cherryingham. After reading the 31 novellas about Jack and Sarah it was good to read a novel by the authors.

This was about drugs coming to small town Cherryingham and the murder of a schoolteacher, both being solved at the same time. It was great fun and a wonderful mystery.

No romance and no swearing to speak of.

As to the narration: Neil Dudgeon makes these books worth listening to.
Jdrocks325gmail.com
Great longform story.

Another wonderful Cherringham story. It was a great length. I always feel sorry for the victim. They miss all the fun. It was grand to dee two sides of Sarah, the detective and the mum. She's great at both. I'm glad Jack found a way to stay. Also happy for Riley to have a new puppy friend!!

Keep on reading!!
Al Dowling
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Series

Wonderful characters. Beautiful location. Plotting complexity, humor, suspense. Glad there are so many books in the series. I look forward to spending more time on Cherringham.
Cheryl
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read.

Love this series based in Cherringham with Jack and Sara. Costello and his partner involve you immediately in the story and let your mind swim in the Thames and the Cotswolds. Always a fabulous read. Thank you.
Lynnelle D. Bolton
Almost better than Jack Macdevitt

I chose this rating because the story is great and the writing is exceptional. I like a good British cosy and a good sci-fi thriller
Nadia Cash
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This was in true Cherringham style and fashion. Loved the flow of the story and how these always keep my attention.
Brenda
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a series I'll stick with and read more of. ...more
Roo
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit long winded but very good.
Julie Sheil
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. ‘Gentle’ murders with great characters. Full of humour.
Meggie
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here we finally found out how long was Jack gone from Cherringham, after he got the terrible news about his daughter accident. Anyway, he came back and solved a new crime with Sarah. Great work!
Margot
A little ordinary, but with a twist at the end.
Susan
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When a body of a teacher is discovered in the river the day after the school's prom, Sarah Edwards a part time investigator is asked by the school's head to find out what happened.
For me a bit of a disappointment (I have read another in the series which I enjoyed) because the story really didn't take off for me. It just felt a little flat and the characters seemed one-dimensional.
A NetGalley Book.
Kim Campbell
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-mysteries
Love them all

Not just the stories, but the place and the people. I'm also a little jealous of Jack living in a Dutch barge; something I always wanted to do.
Emma
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The end of the school year is a time for celebration. A prom maybe? Followed by a rather loud and lively night in the local pub, present are a mix of teachers and senior students. All making the most of the time they have together. But for one teacher, that time is shorter than he thinks. Full of drink and drugs, Josh Owen’s body is found later that night following a tumble from Cherringham’s idyllic stone bridge, into the freezing Thames. Was it an accident? Did Josh commit suicide? Or was it s ...more
Stephanie
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dead in the Water is the first full length novel in the Cherringham series. Previously Sarah and Jack’s adventures had taken place in a series of monthly mysteries. I have never read any of these but on the strength of this novel I will be doing so. I really enjoyed it.
On the press release it is likened to Midsomer Murders, the long running very unbelievable detective series on British TV. I preferred this novel. I found the main characters convincing and likeable, Sarah especially. A single par
Ms Kathryn Pizar
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Cosey mystery

4* for the story which was interesting, and with a few twists along the way. But for me, very little else I'm afraid.
I wonder just how many quintessentially 'sleepy' English villages have a secondary/high school. A small primary school perhaps, but a secondary, very unlikely. Teenagers living in small villages normally go to schools in nearby towns.
Although the book has been co-written by a Brit and an American, surely the story being based in the Cotswolds the letter 'u' should

• Drop Dead, Gorgeous (Bunburry #5)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Murder in High Places (Bunburry #6)
  • Death of a Ladies' Man (Bunburry #4)
  • A Murderous Ride (Bunburry #2)
  • Sweet Revenge (Bunburry  #7)
  • Danger in the Air
  • A Taste of Murder (Bunburry #3)
  • Döden klär i domino (Hannah Lönn #2)
  • Historian jännät naiset – Merirosvoja, meedioita, varkaita ja vakoojaprinsessoja
  • Murder at the Mousetrap (Bunburry #1)
  • Sheep Secrets (Bunburry #8)
  • Puuvillatehtaan varjossa
  • Sen edestään löytää (Lääninetsivä Juhani Kuikka, #5)
  • Deadlier than Fiction (Bunburry #9)
  • Radio Popov
  • Kalman kevät (Björk, #7)
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
See top shelves…

Die Cherringham Romane / Cherringham Novels (2 books)
  • The Body in the Woods (The Cherringham Novels #2)