Start by marking “Light Up the Night (Cottonbloom, #3.6)” as Want to Read:
Light Up the Night (Cottonbloom, #3.6)

Light Up the Night

(Cottonbloom #3.6)

When a police chief who craves stability meets a free-thinking, colorful college professor, neither anticipate the fireworks that light up the night...

After a mugging in grad school left her with an irrational fear of the night not even her PhD in psychology has helped overcome, Sadie Wren is sure she’s found an idyllic, safe place in Cottonbloom. When a break-in at her
ebook
Published March 7th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Light Up the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light Up the Night

Start your review of Light Up the Night (Cottonbloom, #3.6)
Nicola
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Laura Trentham has been one of my discoveries of 2016, so to end the year with another visit to Cottonbloom is a real treat and bridges the way for more in the future.

"...if you want to wear your uniform sometime for a little role-play or pull your cuffs out, I would happily take part."

Being novella length, I'm not going to say a great deal other than Cottonbloom's Chief of Police, Thaddeus and psychology professor, Sadie are wonderful characters, who quickly discover that there's
Irene

So much love for the Cottonbloom series, another great read by Laura Trentham.
Review to come.
Claire Robinson
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shit-hot-series, smp
4.5 - "Keep you safe." Stars!

♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: quickie, safe
The Cottonbloom series is fast becoming one of my favorite comfort reads. Light up the Night was another cute romance between two transplants to the quirky small town of Cottonbloom. It was different than the previous books (I’ve read) in the series, in the sense that there is no history between Thad and Sadie. They both moved to Cottonbloom to start over and found each other just at the right time. I wouldn’t say it was a slow burn because these two hit it off right from the start but their rel ...more
Bookphenomena (Micky)

This was a sweet, small-town novella that I enjoyed reading in a couple of sittings. The couple were an interesting pairing, I loved the brother (recently released from jail) and I hope there's a book about him. This story just about avoided insta-things.

I had a desire to try more from Laura Trentham and this novella just lets me know that I like her style and narrative voice so I will be plunging into this series from the beginning.
Kate
3 75 *

Welcome back to Cottonbloom!

Where the hatchet is slowly but surely being buried between the Louisiana and Mississippi. Where the college is helping and more people are moving to the area. A town full of charm.

Sadie Wren professor of psychology has moved from New Orleans to have a new start. After a terrible mugging she wanted things to change. To live life without fear which works until a break in happens that brings up bad memories.

Chief Thaddeus Preston goes out to call and sees Sadi
Ann Lorz
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: http://romancingthereaders.blogspot.c...

I'm going to be honest here, I don't know how the hell I missed this one. Okay, miss is the wrong word because you see I had the book in my kindle, I just forgot I guess to read it.

No clue how that happened since I really love this author and this series!

But I'm only human so shit happens. I guess I won't knock myself to much it's not like I forgot to feed a loved one for days, I just forgot to read a novella that
Joan
Sep 06, 2017 added it
Shelves: abandoned
First page:

Chapter One

Thaddeus Preston read through the week-old e-mail one more time before laying his Clayton, wouldhead on the back of his swivel chair and staring up at the pockmarked tile of his office.

Can anyone tell me what a 'Clayton, wouldhead' is?? Please?

Then I read to the end of the page and found this:

The probation board was meeting, maybe had already met, and chances were good his brother, be a free man.

At this point I dnf'd.

Edit: After deleting this from my 'Kindle library' and
Cynthia
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific

Sadie moved to Cottonbloom as an Associate Professor at the college, but she has a break in and meets the chief and the sparks fly! Thad seems to be be able to talk to her. A wonderful story. I would recommend this to anyone who want to read a wonderful story.
Rosemary K
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thaddeus Preston is the Chief of Police in Cottonbloom. He likes the quite pace of life. Things change when he's called to a break in at the house of Sadie Wren. He's attracted to this feisty lady and she's
intrigued by him, but they both have problems that may keep them apart. Thad is determined to help his brother who was just released from jail. I liked that he cared. I understood his sacrifice. Sadie came here to escape her family in New Orleans. She's afraid to go out alone at night. Since
Deb Diem
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Light Up The Night by Laura Trentham is a fairly short read, a perfect choice for those with limited time for reading. Ms Trentham has delivered a well-written book. Thad and Sadie's story is a fast-paced book, full of suspense, drama, humor and sexy bits. The characters in this book are terrific and my favorite part of the story. I enjoyed reading Light Up The Night and look forward to reading more from Laura Trentham in the future. Light Up The Night is book 3.75 in the Cottonbloom Series but ...more
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for something to read between full length novels and found this novella on my kindle. What a little game changer. I absolutely loved it! A small southern town, oodles of charm, a guy with insecurities (who's a police chief, no less) and a badass heroine with good reason to be world weary? This ticked all my boxes. I am so thrilled by the knowledge there are other Cottonbloom books and I already can't wait to visit the town and Laura's fantastic writing again!
Missy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, short, funny

Makes me wish for a Cottonbloom town of my own. Sadie and Thad may have had a quick and eventful start to their relationship, but they fit. Would like to see where Clayton ends up, though the 2 excepts didn't follow him or the others in this book. The only connection seems to be the town. It's a page turner, funny, exciting, and sweet. Fell in love with Trentham's style in the first few pages of the first chapter!! Steamy, sweet, sexy and laughter, just what the doctor ordered
Romantic Reads and Such
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really don’t think the blurb gives Sadie enough credit … or maybe it’s just me that sees “free-thinking, colorful” and automatically thinks hippie :) And she totally isn’t. Yes, she’s got dyed streaks in her hair and she’s a little (ok, a lot) more bubbly than the oh-so-serious police chief but she’s definitely not the wild child I thought she’d be. She’s smart, funny and a good foil for the taciturn man in uniform who comes to help her after a break-in.

Thad has put himself in his own kind of
Mona
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the Novella by Laura Trentham. All the books in the Cottonbloom Series are a must read.

In the town of Cottonbloom where it's safe and quiet. Sadie knows she's safe here, but still has issues. Thad is the Chief of Police in Cottonbloom, Mississippi, and will do anything to protect Sadie.
Something happens between them and there not sure what to do about it.
He tries to hide a family secret from her.

What will happen between them?
Alison
A sweet novella about a free-spirited college professor Sadie Wren, who's afraid of the night, and the uptight town Chief of Police Thaddeus Preston who comes to her rescue when her home is broken into. But of course there are insecurities and secrets on both sides - is it lust or could it just be love?

Laura Trentham packs a whole lot of story into a novella - loving Cottonbloom!
E-Reader Addict
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do believe I've just found another must-read series - anytime an author can have a character turn her selection of a golf club as a weapon into unintentional innuendo will have me as a fan! No kidding, a day later and I’m still laughing about it.

Sadie Wren is a recent hire for the local community college. Having someone break into her house isn’t exactly the “welcome to town” Cottonbloom usually offers. When Thad Preston, chief of police, shows up at the scene, he’s mesmerized by the woman who
Terri
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second thing I've read by Laura Trentham and I loved this as much as the first. This is a novella, which usually means not a whole lot of character development. I didn't feel like that was the case here. Ms. Trentham somehow managed to create background for these characters that made it feel as though they were in a full length novel. I was totally invested in these characters and what they had gone through and what they were currently going through.
The heroine had a traumatic experi
Fmbee
I wouldn’t necessarily describe Light Up the Night as insta-love, but Thad and Sadie get together pretty quickly. Given the experiences that define these characters, I’m willing to suspend my disbelief and bask in the romance. By the time we get to the epilogue, we feel very confident that Thad and Sadie have taken the time to deepen the emotional side of their relationship and can now enjoy their HEA. Plus, there’s an added bit of suspense with the person who keeps trying to break into Sadie’s ...more
Suze Lavender
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sadie was the victim of a mugging that left her traumatized and easily spooked. She's new in Cottonbloom where she'll work at the local college. She has a PhD in psychology, but hasn't been able to get rid of her anxiety. She was hoping to feel safe in her new surroundings, but someone was in her house and she hears noises in the garden. Therefore she calls Thaddeus, the local Chief of Police. Who's behind these incidents and will Sadie eventually feel safe again?

Thaddeus hasn't really lived sin
Will Decker
Whoever thought this book was ready for primetime needs to preview their work before hitting the publish button. There is little that is more annoying than a Kindle read that is double-spaced at the tightest and so poorly edited it reeks of rush job. The writing style also took some getting used to. It's only one step removed from what some might refer to as 'sophomoric', but I think of as the 'Dick and Jane' syndrome. The writing has no color, no passion or feeling. I could be reading a documen ...more
Pat Bettinger
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. Sadie and Thad are both likeable characters that you want to see find happiness together. Being the Chief of Police of the small town of Cottonbloom puts a lot of weight on Thad's shoulders and he has a secret that puts an even heavier burden on him.
Sadie is a free thinking woman with a PhD in psychology and can see much deeper into Thad than he would like but he can't stop the growing feelings for her either. When she is threatened by a break-in he will make sure
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the sparks between Thad and Sadie and their chemistry was spot on; considering the compact space this novella offered, they were also reasonably well-developed characters.

I loved the humor! That and the charm that comes from living in a small town..Trentham nailed those thoughts and conversations with a delightfully amusing banter I enjoyed!

All in all, Light Up the Night was a sweet, charming, and funny read! There were a few heavier moments, but it was just enough to tug heartstrings
Linda Rea
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sadie moved to Cottonbloom to try and escape from her fears but someone broke into her house so she called the police, that is where she met Chief Preston . When he came to her house that night it was a feeling of instant calm and Sadie couldn't believe it but she was afraid so he let her stay at his house.
Chief Thaddeus Preston had been in his own little jail since his brother went to jail and hasn't let himself feel anything for a woman but something in Sadie brings it out in him.
If you have
Patricia Myers
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great introduction to the town of Cottonbloom.
Light Up the Night is a lovely sweet story. Sadie is easily scared due to a mugging at grad school. She moves to Cottonbloom to feel safe. When she comes home to find her door broke in she calls for the police. Police Cheif Thaddeus is the perfect knight in shining armor. They like each other straight away and share an easy friendship with plenty of sparks. Thaddeus is struggling with his own demons over his brother going to prison for him
Anne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but sweet

Except for the very first paragraph which I had to read twice to try to figure out what exactly the chief put on the back of his chair (is their a typo?) the story was well written. The characters were interesting and well-developed, and I would have enjoyed their histories being included as flashbacks or something that would have made the book longer. The actual plot - the break in - turned out to be a little silly. On the whole, however, I enjoyed it.
Bev Walkling
This was a sweet novella where the two main characters found each other quite quickly and really didn't face any big stumbling blocks in their relationship. It left me with some questions that were never really answered. Who broke into the heroine's home? Was there any connection to the assault she had previously suffered? A full novel would have given the opportunity to explore these issues. I would read more in the series if given the opportunity.
Teresa
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a quick, easy read. I liked the characters and thought this could have a been a longer novel. I think the suspense part of the story could have easily been expanded and the course of that part of the story could have allowed for a deeper connection with the main characters. Still, it was a pretty good, albeit short, read.
Samantha Glass
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I fall in love with the town of Cottonbloom more and more with each book. I hope there are several to follow. Sassy pysch prof meets Chief of police with a secret of his own. Great way to spend an afternoon.
Vicki
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novella. Not great but not bad. Just a little story about a psychologist who after an attack was afraid to go out at night/of the dark. Enter the Chief of Police when her house is broken into......and his issues with guilt about his brother and a crime when they were boys.

• Seaside Surprises (The Seaside Hunters, #1)
  • Breakaway (Heller Brothers, #1)
  • As Deep as the Ocean (Blue Penguin Bay, #1)
  • Finding Pride (Pride, #1)
  • Sweet Girl (Titan, #1.5)
  • Sunset Thunder (The Caliendo Resort #1)
  • Down on Her Luck
  • No Matter What (The Billionaire Bargains, #1)
  • Cowboy Courage (Longhorn Canyon, #6)
  • Redeeming the Texas Rancher (Forever Texan, #3)
  • Hummingbird Lake (Eternity Springs, #2)
  • Nightshade (Night Tales, #3)
  • Night Smoke (Night Tales, #4)
  • Chancey Family Lies (Chancey #2)
  • Christmas with a Cowboy (Longhorn Canyon, #5)
  • The Billionaire Bride (The Brides of Holland Springs, #1)
  • Bloody Lessons (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #3)
  • When Love Comes (Diamond Creek, Alaska, #1)
Author of smart, sexy Southern contemporary romance, Regency historicals, & heartfelt Women's Fiction
Series include:
Sweet Home Alabama
Cottonbloom
Spies and Lovers
Heart of a Hero
Highland, Georgia

Cottonbloom (6 books)
  • Kiss Me That Way (Cottonbloom, #1)
  • Then He Kissed Me (Cottonbloom, #2)
  • Till I Kissed You (Cottonbloom, #3)
  • Leave The Night On (Cottonbloom, #4)
  • When the Stars Come Out (Cottonbloom, #5)
  • Set the Night on Fire (Cottonbloom, #6)