Start by marking “The Devil's Paintbox (The Witching Legacy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Paintbox (The Witching Legacy, #2)

The Devil's Paintbox

(The Witching Legacy #2)

Published March 9th 2017 by Egmont

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Paintbox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Paintbox

Start your review of The Devil's Paintbox (The Witching Legacy, #2)
Stacey
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

"Legend of supernatural fantasy Robin Jarvis is back with his spellbinding sequel to The Power of Dark.

Lil and Verne may think they have quelled the Dark forces that tried to destroy Whitby, but they have no idea that the powers they’ve been meddling with are about to turn on them. Despite Lil’s crucial role in saving her home from destruction, she notices that the townsfolk have become wary
Kirsty ❤️
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This book is delightfully viscous and evil. A young adult book with plagues, death, witches and creatures of the dark. My younger self would have loved it.

Lil finds a paintbox hidden in the fireplace of the local witch. Trying some art work she discovers that each slab of paint in the box comes with it's own evil from plagues to death by sand dune. It's then up to them plus best friend Verne to defeat the dark forces and save Whitby.

It's rolls along at a cracking pace. I had the whole book read
J.A. Ironside
Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Arrrgggghhhh! That ending...

Ok now I've got that out of my system... I've been a fan of Robin Jarvis for a couple of decades now and The Whitby Witches is an old favourite. I am really enjoying this new trilogy set in Whitby with a brand new cast of characters. The Devil's Paintbox continues the story of Verne, Lil and Cherry Cerise (psychedelic colour witch extraordinaire) after the events of The Power of Dark. Lil is growing in confide
Helen
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been in love with Robin Jarvis's books ever since I was a child and adored his writing style from my first reading of the Whitby Witches series. This new series is just as good. His stories have a way of grabbing you and getting under your skin and his accompanying illustrations really make the plot come alive. The text has a horror element to it that is probably quite upsetting for younger readers but for me it just draws me further into the story with the characters. Jarvis's pacing is ...more
Roz Radmore
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second book in this fantastic series
Lil and Verne think that the threat to the town of Whitby is over . They have no idea that what had just happened was only the beginning .
Lil as a new and untried witch will need all her power for what is coming .Verne tries to use the old artefact the Nimius again with limited success .When a mysterious paintbox arrives from the past , addressed to Lil she is eager to test it . The seven cakes of water colours have really strange names , no burnt sienna o
Book Gannet
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Now this was a wild ride. Right from the start, this latest Whitby adventure steps onto its dark and dangerous path and doesn’t step off it until the (rather abrupt) end. I had a few reservations about how things turned out in the last book, but not so this time. This is dark and ghoulish and clever and fantastical, full of action and mystery and foreboding, and I enjoyed every page.

Normally, I’m a character person. I love good characters and will happily follow them through some terrible plots.
Edward Davies
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty decent follow-up, in many ways actually stronger than the first because we now know the characters better. Jarvis still continues to deliver great children's books even after almost thirty years of writing.
V.S. Nelson
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantasitc book! I’m so glad that, as an adult, I can still enjoy one of my favourite childhood authors.
Elizabeth Jayne
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the end, still more to come UGH!
Barbara Band
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to The Power of Dark. The story continues with Cherry Cerise (the Whitby Witch), Lil and Verne ... battling good against the evil Mister Dark. Oh ... and a paintbox that unleashes a curse every time a colour is used. Loved the first book and loved this one too. But be warned, it ends in a cliff-hanging that will leave you feeling frustrated.
Mandy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I read the first part of Robin Jarvis' return to Whitby, his 'Witching Legacy' trilogy. I've come to expect trilogies now, (which makes the bitter sting of Deathscent resurge once more, but miracles have happened — Hagwood returned after an unusual start, after all) so I'm glad to see we're fully on track with The Devil's Paintbox, hot on the heels of The Power of Dark. Prematurely, I'd like to welcome part three.

Once again, Robin takes on the spirit of the times, populat
Matthew Hodge
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
And re-read again as part of the Robin Jarvis #greatgrandreread

Normally, Mr Jarvis waits till the final book of his trilogies to unleash mass apocalyptic destruction. But here we are, only the second book in to a four-book series, and the little coastal town of Whitby has copped what can only be described as an absolute hammering.

In the last book, we had a supernatural showdown that was a nice nod to the real-life friendly rivalry between the Goths and Steampunks in Whitby.

By contrast, The Devi
Paul Allard
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Witchery in Whitby – lots of menace and death ensue

This latest novel by Robin Jarvis takes place in his favourite Whitby and continues the story of Lil, Vern and Cherry Cerise after the events of “The Power of Dark” (which I haven't read). There is a lot of action emanating from the titular paintbox. Lil and Vern do their best to help the people of Whitby but the book ends on a cliffhanger so there is more to come in this series.

It's difficult to know if this is aimed at the Young Adult fantasy
Christine Phillips
Nov 17, 2019
Richard S Ward
Nov 29, 2017
MRS GILLIAN HENDRY
Dec 25, 2019
Jenny
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a review copy of this book and had not read the first in the series. However, it did not take too long to get my bearings - I imagine it would have been quite enjoyable for anyone who had read the first book. I do like a lot of YA books, even though I am somewhat past that age, but I think this is much more of a book aimed at children than YA - which is exactly as it is classified. If I was buying it for a child, though, I would probably read it first as I know my children would have ...more
Parminder
Jan 03, 2020
Stefan Daperis
May 27, 2017
Charles
rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2018
Aug 28, 2018
Matthew Bright
Dec 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Place Called Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • A Coast to Coast Walk
  • The Only Girl in the World
  • The Exact Opposite of Okay (Izzy O'Neill, #1)
  • Truly, Wildly, Deeply
  • Murder at the Book Club
  • The Earth is Singing
  • Everything Grows
  • Amadeus
  • The Deep Blue Sea
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • Where the World Ends
  • Who's a Big Bully Then?
  • The Rainbow Bear
  • Out of the Ashes
  • Farm Boy (War Horse, #2)
  • Mr Skip
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Witching Legacy (2 books)
  • The Power of Dark (The Witching Legacy, #1)