Start by marking “Prince & Pirate” as Want to Read:
Prince & Pirate

Prince & Pirate

Prince Gavin is powerless to refuse when his father demands he secure an alliance with a distant kingdom. At first, he sees the journey as a chance to prove his worth and indulge in the grand adventures of his dreams. Yet nothing seems right about his father’s paranoid insistence he travel by merchant ship while disguised as a diplomat. Once out on the open sea, Gavin lear ...more
Published November 28th 2016 by Nine Star Press

To ask other readers questions about Prince & Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince & Pirate

Chelsea
3.5 hearts

This is going to be one of those reviews that makes no sense. So be warned. I’m sure I’ll be going back and forth over what was good and what was average. The thing is, the good was very good, but there was a lot of average so I found it hard to rate. Hence the middle of the road rating.

Okay, so story: Gavin is the Prince and only heir to a kingdom in a fantasy universe that is very similar to the 1600’s. His father is going senile and decides to send Gavin across the seas on a mission
Christina's Bookshelf
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 *

Prince and Pirate is a captivating tale of two unlikely souls finding peace with each other and courage to do what they've never done before.

Prince Gavin is in an improbably mission by his father. He quickly becomes prey to the infamous Captain Drake. Drake is hoping that his current plan will boost ship morale, only everything he desires back fires.

You can see my full review on my YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/BBVPOuCG_xg
Joyfully Jay
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Prince & Pirate is an enjoyable historical fantasy that builds in a lot of nice adventures for our heroes. What I liked most was following along with the journey these guys take together as there are a lot of different twists and turns, as well as at least two total surprises that keep the story interesting. I liked both Gavin and Marcas and rooted for them together. They make a nice contrast with the royal prince and the rogue pirate, but at the same time, t
Ami
Unfortunately I feel this story lacks sufficient background for me to be able to enjoy reading it. The romance wasn't able to engage me either. Plus the appearance of Crimson Queen made the story caricaturish.

A lot of skimming happened *shrugged*
Hart
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've really liked all of this author's work so far, and I love pirates, so I was very excited to read this book. I enjoyed it a lot.

Gavin's father, the king, sends him on a diplomatic mission to a neighboring kingdom. The king insists that Gavin travel in disguise, which makes his trip much more dangerous. He very quickly becomes the prisoner of a notorious pirate, Marcas Drake, and they have a series of adventures together.

It's set in a fantasy world, with light (but adequate) world-building.
Dannica Zulestin
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought this book like...two years ago now. But I never got around to reading it. Now I have, and I mostly like it. Good pirate-y adventures, and all that. I wish Gavin's disguise had lasted longer or been a bigger part of the plot, as royalty in disguise is always a thing I like, but I guess it lasted long enough. And Marcas and Gavin have plenty of tension, and the kidnapping aspect is something I always enjoy.

My favorite character was Rona, Marcas' pirate rival (view spoiler)
ItsAboutTheBook
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

I have loved previous short stories by this author. I can’t say I hate the idea of a pirate and a prince falling in love either so this one had me intrigued. This book was very much a romance that revolves around a forbidden love story. There’s some violence and blood shed. One of the MCs is a pirate after all. I thought the most interesting parts were how the MCs navigated their way through the politics and danger thrown their way. The love
Patdbooks
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the book. The characters, the plot, the gradual realisation that there was more to each other than they originally from thought. Parts of t was a bit rushed and strange. The demise of Rhonda I thought far fetched.... The end I am not sure seemed to be over too soon and quick. But perhaps Gavin and Marcus will be back... If so I'll read this it
Chasia Lloyd
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This adventurous tale features a trope that often makes me nervous - a romance between a captor and captive. The imbalanced nature of their relationship worried me, but I was intrigued by the premise of the book. Fortunately, Gavin and Marcus's relationship evolved to more equal grounds, allowing me to fully appreciate their romance against the actiony, political backdrop of the plot.
Jane Harper
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book wasn't bad, it was just kind of dull. I never really felt the love (or even the lust) between the two MCs. The pirate action parts were exciting and enjoyable, although I felt the plot lacked cohesiveness.
A.R. Jarvis
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, slash
While the plot is fairly solid, it’s execution is a bit...mercurial and at times rather thin. The characters are also a bit thin, but overall it’s a reasonably enjoyable read.
Damian Serbu
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written, enjoyable beach read kind of fun!!
Em
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqiap, mm
Very fun adventurous about a gay prince who gets kidnapped and the gay pirate who falls for him. Didn't like the ableism.
Nova
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mm
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by NineStar Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***

I have to admit I wasn't too sure how I felt about this book until I was around 25% or so. While it's labeled as historical, I think it's more of an historical fantasy, as it takes place in a fantasy world. Anyway, if as me, you feel a bit lost at first, please hang in there, I promise you it does get much better.

Prince Gavin has noticed the decline
D.
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a saucy, often explicit, tale of a Prince getting kidnapped by and falling for a pirate. There was a bit of a slow start to set up the book, but the pace picks up fairly quickly.

Nine Star Press lists this under the Historical Fiction genere, but Cooper’s site lists this as Fantasy. If you’re not into SciFi/Fantasy I can assure you that you won’t even notice that it is Fantasy. It was more of a new world based off of pirates and royalty than anything stereotypically thought of when the
Sneath
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked the story but there were parts that seemed anticlimactic so whatever endeavors the MCs experienced didn't feel impactful.
Zeoanne
Mar 05, 2018
Alison
Dec 08, 2016
Anastasia
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2017
rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2017
Theodora IK
Dec 12, 2016
Elliot Cooper is all about happy endings and positive queer rep in genre fiction - specifically subgenres of romance and erotica. His stories range from sweet to scorching hot, light to dark, humorous to serious, and everything in between. He loves to experiment with genre mash-ups and old favorite tropes, turning some on their heads, meeting others head-on.