Start by marking “Poisoned Pawn” as Want to Read:
Poisoned Pawn

Poisoned Pawn

(The Fall of the Altairan Empire #3)

Everyone wants Dace. Commander Lowell wants her in the Patrol. The Targon Syndicate wants her head. But when she's kidnapped, it's by mistake. She isn't the one Luke wanted. If he finds out she isn't Miya Daviessbrowun, he won't hesitate to kill her. It's up to Jasyn to rescue her, even if it means giving in to Lowell's demands.
ebook
Published October 25th 2016 by Jaleta Clegg (first published April 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned Pawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poisoned Pawn

Katy
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of space opera, the series
Recommended to Katy by: LibraryThing Early Reviewers
Book Info: Genre: Space Opera
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of space operas, those who have enjoyed the series so far
Trigger Warnings: sexual assault, mental abuse, murder, slavery (sentient species, not just human)

My Thoughts: I want to start right out by saying I did not dislike this book. It was a perfectly readable book, and as part of a series I have enjoyed, I do not regret the time spent reading it. No, it's not that I didn't like the book; the problem is that it just wasn't th
Creed
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good romping SciFi!

Dace and her partner Jasyn are traders with their own ship, a full membership in the Independent Traders' Guild and a new pilot who looks like he is going to work out fine. They have the Cygnus sector by the tail, until Dace is kidnapped. And Clark, the new pilot, reveals secrets he's been keeping. And an old nemesis from the Patrol pops up again. The trouble keeps rolling in and I wondered how this would ever resolve, but it did, and very nicely.

I obtained this ebook via Li
Michelle
Playing Jokers Blog: all suits of genres and bookish news

Rollicking, romping, and similarly playful action verbs have been used to describe Poisoned Pawn. I don’t necessarily disagree either, because in terms of the latest science fiction I have consumed, this was definitely very enjoyable.

I’m one of those people that like Star Wars and Mass Effect. I have never watched Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, and whatever else is blasphemous to admit. I have a hard time with science fiction
Emilious Tarr
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Rollicking Good Space Opera

Publisher’s synopsis: Dace and Jasyn have everything they ever wanted - their own trading ship and freedom. Their only issue, regulations require a second pilot and the only one available on Viya Station is a little too perfect for Dace's comfort. But his credentials check out and everything seems fine. Until Dace disappears and Jasyn learns the truth.

Disclaimer: I received this book through Librarything's Early Reviewers Program.

Poisoned Pawn is the third book in t
Eric Townsend
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poisoned Pawn, the third book in the fantastic Altairan Empire series, is filled with just as much action, adventure and witty banter (my personal favorite part) as the previous books. The strength of this series has always been its characters. Clegg does a masterful job in giving them each their own distinct and truly enjoyable personalities despite the difficult task of using multiple points of view. From reading so much this year I can’t stress enough what a feat it is to do that and have the ...more
Joe Young
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-sci-fi
Admiral Lowell? is still messing with the life of Dace and where ever Dace sets down, she is noticed and at risk. This further adventures of Dace and Jasyn on their own space ship, the Phoenix Rising are complicated by the interplay of Patrol attempting to direct the movements of the Phoenix Rising and the criminal elements that are moving into new quadrants of the galaxy and trying to avoid being visible enough to attract Patrol authorities. Lowell manages to put a Patrol pilot on the Phoenix R ...more
Lynda Bester
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Slater
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main story is about two independent traders trying to make an honest living. Unfortunately for them, Dace has a preternatural knack for getting into astonishingly deep trouble, a trait which has drawn the attention of Commander Lowell of the Patrol. A master manipulator for the undercover division, Lowell aims Dace and her crew at the Cygnus sector to see what she'll shake loose.

I found the book to be a compelling read which stands nicely on its own despite being third in the series. Dace ha
Lyle Hansen
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the third book of The Fall of the Altarian Empire. I am sure I would have enjoyed this book much more if I had read the first two in the series. Even though I didn't I really liked this book because of the action sequences! There was plenty of action that kept me entertained! I also liked that the space setting to the book. I will be honest I wasn't much of a fan of the romance but the action more than made the story for me! I will now have to go back and read book one and book two!
John
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Dace’s creepy experiences as a kidnappee go on FAR too long, and there are a lot of other chapters that don’t advance the story...hope this series isn’t running out of steam.

Still some good lines:

“She was short, stocky, blond, and very dangerous. She knew seven ways to kill someone using just her pinky finger.”

Erika
I had a lot of fun reading this book, for the most part, there was a section where the main character was a prisoner that I found a bit triggering and hard to get through though I suspect that was partially due to my feeling of connection to Dace and what she was going through.

That aside, this again feels like a throw back to a more old fashion adventure based Science Fiction that I 19ve missed reading over the recent years and it 19s great to see the author getting stronger in her craft. I fel
Natalie

I received Poisoned Pawn The Fall of the Altairan Empire through Library Thing Early Reviewers. Dace and Jaysn are back on the Phoenix. They seem to have everything they want. The only problem is that they are required to have another pilot. After their current pilot is thrown in jail, they find a man named Trevyn Clark is the only pilot left to hire. Dace is suspicious of him, but hires Clark anyway. It turns out was hired by Lowell, who has tried to force Dace into joining Planetary Patrol.
Low
Verity Brown
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of space opera
Recommended to Verity by: Jaleta Clegg

Dace is a magnet for trouble--a characteristic that spy master Grant Lowell takes full advantage of, even though he can't persuade her to join the Patrol and work for him.

In this third book in the Fall of the Altairan Empire series, Captain Dace and her business partner/navigator Jasyn finally have a chance to live their dream of being free traders. Unfortunately, every port they've been to before has it out for Dace. In order to get into a different and safer sector of space, they have to take
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read of this series the more the characters really grow on me. Admittedly, I did not enjoy this book as much as the last. I found the whole kidnapping/imprisonment quite depressing which is a testament to the author as I imagine it was supposed to invoke some feeling of revulsion. I missed the usual feistiness of Dace and hope we get to see that back in the next book. The one part that I really loved about this book however, was the development of some of the secondary characters, in ...more
Hannah
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pulled me in from the beginning. Jaleta has hit her stride! I found the psychological danger Dace gets into in this one scarier than some of the more straight forward (if for convoluted reasons) that Dace has faced in the past. Love how serendipity weaves through her life as sort of a trailing blessing or side effect of Dace's over arching Murphy curse.
Bookylove Anonymous
Poisoned Pawn sees our beloved Captain Dace in yet more trouble. All she wants is peace and quiet and the freedom of her own ship, but that is not to be. I loved the characters and the build-up of the action. I could really connect to Dace and all the other characters too. Great read if you love sci-fi adventure like I do.
Maureen
Apr 23, 2017
Jaleta Clegg
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Debbie
Tamara
Jul 24, 2017
Liz White
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh i really liked this one. i couldnt put it down.thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tarak Talukder
rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2018

• Fade to Black
  • Jokers Club
  • Cemetery Club
  • Special Dead (Twice Shy, #2)
  • Revelation
  • The Conjuring Glass (The Phoenix Girls, #1)
  • Steel Breeze
  • Terovolas
  • Vale of Stars
  • The Web of Spider (Spider, #3)
  • Formic Wars: Silent Strike
  • Craving
  • Nightmare Ballad
  • Raven's Children (Sequoyah, #2)
  • Legacy (Endlessly, #2)
  • A Song Called Youth
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • Dead Reflections
I write numerous genres including space opera, science fiction, fantasy, and comic horror. I've even dabbled in romance.

Find my space opera series at http://www.altairanempire.com and all my writing at http://www.jaletac.com

My day job involves a planetarium, a starship simulator and lots of school children.

The Fall of the Altairan Empire (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Nexus Point
  • Priestess of the Eggstone
  • Kumadai Run (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #4)
  • Cold Revenge (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #5)
  • Jericho Falling (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #6)
  • Obsidian Tears (The Fall of the Altairan Empire)
  • Chain of Secrets
  • An Indecent Proposal (The Fall of the Altairan Empire)
  • Phoenix in Flames (The Fall of the Altairan Empire Book 10)
  • Redemption (The Fall of the Altairan Empire Book 11)