Start by marking “At the Cemetery Gates: Year One” as Want to Read:
At the Cemetery Gates: Year One

At the Cemetery Gates: Year One

A young woman sees an approaching figure in her time-lapse photo project. A small town's strange illness seems to stem from the local cemetery. Two boys make a grim discovery about death and decay when they sneak into a funeral parlor. AT THE CEMETERY GATES: YEAR ONE is an entertaining and eerie short story collection for fans of the strange, macabre, and supernatural.

Cove
Published October 27th 2016 by Cemetery Gates Media

To ask other readers questions about At the Cemetery Gates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Cemetery Gates

Start your review of At the Cemetery Gates: Year One
Char
3.5 stars!

At The Cemetery Gates: Year One is a collection of 14 short stories. Most of them feature cemeteries-if not actually set there, they're at least mentioned.

My favorite story of the bunch was An Epistle From the Dead which was a macabre tidbit with a touch of poignancy to it that really brought the story home.

Pictures of a Perpetual Subject was also a poignant tale with a haunting outcome that I won't soon forget.

The remaining stories were all good, but not outstanding. These are
Cameron Chaney
Cemetery Gates Media is doing amazing work in the horror community. They have brought back the kinder-trauma of readers everywhere with Corpse Cold: New American Folklore, they've stirred emotions with Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities, and they have embodied the spirit of Charles Dickens in Carol for a Haunted Man. I enjoyed every one of these books and I've been excited to read everything else their growing catalog of work has to offer. Since their latest book, At The Cemeter ...more
Yamna Rashid
Book 2 of the "get-them-known" challenge. Yes, I could have given this challenge a better name :P

Note: For the next couple of months, I am going to read books by unknown authors. Most of these books would have less than 300 reviews and would be chosen at random. The biggest perk is that most of these books I have received by the authors after contacting them. My main goal is to bring to light the huge number of books that go ignored but totally deserve the attention any bestseller out there i
Jane Jago
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked this a lot, although it is kinda patchy. Some brilliant stories a couple of predictable ones.

Still worth a read.
Quentin Wallace
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

*I received a copy of this from the author for an honest review*

I have read both of this author's "Cemetery" books, and I had to admit I think I like this one slightly better of the two. In the first book the cemetery seemed a little contrived and it felt at times "forced", but this one didn't rely as much on the cemetery as a plot device (or was at least much more subtle in most cases) and came across better.

I have always loved horror short story anthologies and this one does a good jo
Rebecca McNutt
I grew up loving those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark short story anthologies, and I think that At the Cemetery Gates captures that classic horror story vibe and urban legend type atmosphere while still being completely unique and original. Written with artistic language and eerie imagination, this anthology of mysterious, fantastic, haunting stories is totally incredible, not to mention the front cover illustration, which is creepy as heck but amazingly well-done, too. I loved this book and ...more
☕️Kimberly
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A Dark and Desolate Recurrence - This is a tale of husband and wife stuck in a snow ditch. They end up seeking shelter in a haunted cabin. It had that creepy camp site fire tale feel.

A Casket for My Mother - Creepy Go Fund Me story about a young man returning from teaching in China to learn his childhood friend's mother died. Not really scary, since huge clues were given, but it had an excellent creep factor.

Time's Harbinger - A young man and his estranged father head to their hometown for his m
Stephanie
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
After read the Marvelry’s Curiosity Shop, I’m curious with the next book from John Brhel At the Cemetery Gates. Thanks to the author for provide the copy in exchange for the honest review.

Some believes that dead people keep doing what the last thing they do all over again, some story tell about this and there are another kind of creepy story. The story related to the dead people which divides into 14 short stories. Each story gives the horror and dark atmosphere but not too scary. My favorite a
Marie
I really liked all the stories in this book. They were all so different and they were not real creepy. They were more like stories that you would tell sitting around the campfire. I liked the stories well enough that I bought the second book. I gave it a five star read as I enjoyed reading the stories.
Bandit
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ve been reading this author duo this month and enjoying their work. Specifically, their thematic anthologies, which seems to be my referred kind of anthologies. The first two books of theirs I’ve read was location specific. With this book, the authors stay in the general geographic area, but branch out in other ways. Their writing quality remains consistent, but content wise these are more…well, as the authors themselves so aptly described it, something like creepy suburban fables. Or suburban ...more
Berenike
the good news: you can get this book for free on Amazon!
the bad news: it’s really not worth it.

14 horror stories, including ghosts, time travel, weird stuff with corpses, raising the dead, and a strange fungal infection.

The stories are all quite short (probably one the main reasons I made it even through this book), and there’s always some creepy twist at the ending - which often failed to impress me, and occasionally failed to make sense. Most of the stories are nothing special, and
Jeanine
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A new anthology filled with shivery, delightfully spooky stories.
lyonel Lamp
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was good!

I liked most of the stories, the one I just didn’t like was the “It’s coming from inside the house!” Story. Maybe I just didn’t understand the weird literary angle, but it really didn’t sit well with the time period. Other than that the other tales were pretty fun!
Seregil of Rhiminee
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Because I enjoyed reading Brhel and Sullivan's Marvelry's Curiosity Shop and found it entertaining, I was eager to read At the Cemetery Gates: Year One. I was very pleased with this short story collection and found it enjoyable, because it was exactly the kind of well written dark fantasy and horror entertainment that I expected it to be. It was a pleasure to read it.

John Brhel and Joseph Sullivan are still a bit unknown authors to many readers, but hopefully
Roxie Prince
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

‘At The Cemetery Gates: Year One’ by John Brhel and Joseph Sullivan
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4/5
Finished on April 28, 2018
FREE on Kindle Unlimited | $2.99 on Kindle | $10.00 in Paperback

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
A horror/paranormal short story collection inspired by urban legends, folk tales, and anthology TV shows like THE TWILIGHT ZONE and ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK?

Twin brothers enter a funeral parlor as a gag and end up uncovering a sinister operation.

A mysteri
Joseph
First of all, I'd like to thank John Brhel (co-author with Joseph Sullivan of this anthology) for sending me an electronic copy for review purposes.

"At the Cemetery Gates" is a collection of short, punchy horror tales. A unifying thread is provided by the small-town setting common to most of the stories, with the cemetery of the title hovering in the background like a haunting presence. The featured stories have a modern feel to them, although "The Girl with the Crooked Tooth" is an homage to Po
Andrew
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
At The Cemetery Gates is a collection of 14 short stories. As the title suggests, the stories are all linked by the theme of death, dying, or being recently deceased. Cemetery Gates is also the name of the publisher (see what they did there?). A major strength of the book is the variety of the tales, including everything from ghosts to urban legends, and from time travel to murderous clowns.

Most of the stories are subtle in their dread, while others are a bit more visceral. Some involve the supe
Shari Sakurai
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review*

At The Cemetery Gates: Year One is a collection of short stories. I love reading horror shorts and this collection did not disappoint. They are very well-written and each very different with their own twists and chills.

It was hard for me to pick favourites as I enjoyed reading them all so much but stand-out ones for me were:

A Dark and Desolate Reoccurrence – seeking shelter from a deadly snowstorm, husband and wife Teddy and Margo i
Kay
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I wanna start this review by stating I DNFed this book. With that being said, take my review with a grain of salt (if you must, lol). I digress. According to Kindle, I read 74% and there's only 3 stories left but my mind if 100% done lol. I honestly checked out after the "The Burial Vault" (horrible ending) then completely said "fuck this" after reading "New Year's Eve, What A Gas!" Sorry but I refuse to waste more time on lackluster writing. Granted some of the stories had an air of atmosphere ...more
Ryan
14 short stories that certainly made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone or hanging out with the Midnight Society. My favorites:

THE BURIAL VAULT: One of the most terrifying modern day shorts that I have ever read! I never scare easily, except when I view my property taxes or have unanticipated bowel movements. This read enticed me to double check the locks on my front door and invaded my mind for the next couple of days. It was vile and disgusting, but the mysterious ending was completely un
E.Y.E.-D
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, 2016
I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

This is an excellent collection of short stories, some of which were quite creepy. I loved the feel of the book as a whole, it reminded of when I used to read "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" as a kid. The entire collection is written very well and kept me trying to figure out how each story would end. I enjoyed all the stories but my favorites were "The Burial Vault" and "Pictures of a Perpetual Subject".
They were the creepiest in
MrsPyramidhead
I thought the stories were pretty decent but I wish the writing had been a little better and a little more detailed. In some of the stories it felt very rushed and there were times when I just wished the writing was different. I was disappointed because the writing style sometimes made it hard for me to keep going. It is worth a read just for some of the story ideas if you like quick horror stories. I was also disappointed that most of the time I knew where the stories were going. I had high hop ...more
Keeley
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-finished
I was given this as an ebook for a free and honest review and I'm so happy that I was because I loved it!

I really enjoyed this collection of horror stories. The first story about a husband and wife trapped in their car in a snow drift had a great twist that I did not see coming and let me know I was in for a real treat with this book! There are over 15 short stories in this collection and over half of them are some of my new favorites including the all-too-predictable but still fantastic "A Cask
Jessica Bronder
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At The Cemetery Gate is a collection of 14 short horror stories. Each story has its own life and will leave you shivering, teared up, or laughing (that could just be me). You will follow along as couple find a secluded cabin, a son and father mourn the loss of the mother, an ancient spell book is discovered, and a man has questions about his wife’s fidelity.

I am a child of the 90’s and grew up with Tales from the Crypt. This collection reminds me of that show. There is a little bit of everything
Travis Davis
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining collection of stories

I really enjoyed this collection of spooky stories. Like most anthology books there will always be some stories that aren’t as enjoyable as others but for the most part I had only small quibbles with a few of the tales. I would recommend this to any fan of horror stories!
Iesha (In east shade house at...)
I enjoyed reading this collection of stories, but not as much as the author's previous book. This book held stories that were light yet ended in creepy ends which reminds me of the Grimm Fairytale stories.
Adriane
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Very decent collection of short stories

These were a fun collection of lightly creepy stories. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys episodic horror a la The Twilight Zone
Ariana R
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book

I loved reading Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark as a kid and this is definitely in the same vein. Twists and turns abound and some things are definitely not what they seem! A quick, enjoyable read and I'm looking forward to reading the next book!
Angel Norris
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

Kept my interest for the duration. The stories were written well. For the price, free, it was a good read.
Michele
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cool

At Th Cemetery Gates: Year One is really different. The urban legend works for the stories. I'm definitely looking to buy some more in this series.

• The Haunting of Hammersmith House
  • Halloween Fiend
  • Dark Ride
  • A Cosmology of Monsters
  • Kinfolk
  • Dead of Winter
  • What My Mother Doesn't Know (What My Mother Doesn't Know #1)
  • Better Than Running at Night