Start by marking “A Family for Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Family for Christmas

A Family for Christmas

Zac never had a family of his own, but Rudy has enough to share.

Shy, inexperienced Rudy has a crush on Zac from the moment his new colleague walks through the door. On an office night out before Christmas, Rudy finds the courage to make a move, and they form a tentative bond. When he discovers Zac will be alone at Christmas, he invites Zac to come home with him.

Zac prefers
Published November 16th 2016 by Jaybird Press

To ask other readers questions about A Family for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family for Christmas

Start your review of A Family for Christmas
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~~~5 SHINY STARS for the feel-good factor alone~~~

I needed a cheerful, sweet story, and this one gave me plenty to smile about.

When shy, slightly awkward Rudy invites Zac, the colleague he's crushed on for weeks, to spend Christmas at his family's sprawling, drafty 17th century house in the country, he hopes against hope Zac will agree.

Rudy has a big, accepting family, with plenty of love to go round. Zac has no one. He's a former foster kid used to keeping people at a distance. Zac doesn't t
☆ Todd
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it

In a word, Dorktacular. : )

Northcote's latest novella, "A Family for Christmas," is fun, sweet, clumsy, cute, sexy, innocent, heart-warming and more than a little bit charming. Highly recommended.

Virginal, but not totally inexperienced, Rudy is shy and unassuming, but he's had a major crush on his standoffish new co-worker, Zac, since the day he joined Rainbow Futures, the LGBT+ youth education charity where they both work.

Zac grew up in foster care and group homes, where he learned that the
Jay Northcote
Oct 27, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
My Christmas story for 2016 :) I accidentally wrote pretend boyfriends again. Oops.

I doubt I will have final files ready in time to take pre-orders so look out for it on release day if you like the sound of it. It will be Amazon exclusive/KU for 90 days and will go wide after that.

I should have ARCs ready for review bloggers around a week before release. If you're not already on my blogger newsletter and would be interested in getting hold of a copy to review, please sign up here: http://jaynor
Karla
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

"A family for Christmas" was sweet and cute, a great book for the holidays. I found Rudy, so adorably awkward his crush on his co worker Zac, was so sweet. Thank goodness he found the courage to talk to him and somehow he ends up taking Zac to meet his family for Christmas. I thought Zac was a bit stoic at first but we get hints that his had a bad childhood so, his built this wall around him and at the end I understood why.

Once Zac meets Rudy's family though, and sees what it's like
* A Reader Obsessed *
Just like the blurb says, shy and sweet Rudy is crushing hard on his enigmatic coworker Zac. He knows Zac is way out of his league, but a tipsy night out with coworkers gives Rudy the opening to invite Zac home for the holiday weekend.

Zac is closed off for many understandable reasons, but Rudy and his family and the spirit of Christmas opens him up to perhaps, just maybe, consider a happy ending for himself.

I enjoyed this, despite it not being as sexy or as emotional as some of Northcote’s other
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Now this was the sugary-sweet Christmas romance I was hoping for from Jay Northcote. Just ooey-gooey feels and family, like a big cup of hot chocolate.

Rudy was just so adorable. I'm a sucker for a dorky, secretly-sexy MC, and Rudy just fit that perfectly. I liked his big, loving family and the cozy setting of the story.

Just a sweet, new adult Christmas novella to get you into the spirit of the holidays.

goodreads|instagram|twitter|blog
Jewel
Though I do not celebrate the holiday, I have come to love my Christmas stories. They serve to give me the hope that I suppose the actual holiday and family should be giving me, but don't. So thank you, Jay. A Family for Christmas was just what I needed this week.

Rudy is a kind of happy-go-lucky guy. He's shy and inexperienced, but he's happy and enjoys his life. He has a decent flat, with a garden and loads of family that he actually gets along with. He loves his job, too, and his coworkers are
Susan
Re-read November 2018
Still a nice Christmas story, even though I still didn't quite like Zac.

--------------------------------

This was quite adorable, but Zac did get on my nerves a bit.

Rudy is 24 years old and works at Rainbow Futures. He has had a crush on coworker Zac ever since Zac started working there. But Rudy is convinced Zac doesn’t want a 24 year old shy geek, who's never had a boyfriend.

Zac doesn’t want to do the whole social thing with his colleagues. He is there to work, not make fri
Adam
This book is exactly what I'd expect a holiday story from Jay Northcote to be like. Sweet and sexy, with some feels thrown in.

I liked that I got to actually see the progression of Rudy and Zac's relationship from practical strangers, to tentative friends, to fake-boyfriends/fuck-buddies, and then to something more. Their romance is quick and relatively easy, but I wouldn't say it was insta-love.

Though readers only see a few days of their life together, Rudy and Zac's romance felt believable, and
Ann
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ann by: Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Jay Northcote has become my go to for perfectly perfect Christmas stories. No one wraps me up in comfy cozy Merry Jizzmas feels like he does. I mean, I just finished reading A Family for Christmas and at the same time, I’m listening to What Happens at Christmas on audio (which I read last year). So yeah, I’m a fan.

A Family for Christmas had extra warmth I felt and the author did a great job of balancing the romance with the family evolution for Zac. Zac and Rudy work together and Zac is still th
Martin
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful Christmas story about family and love.

Shy and insecure marketing geek Rudy has the hots for his gorgeous colleague Zac. Only Zac doesn't socialize with anyone at work and a night out with the colleagues leads to even more awkwardness instead of the desired connection.

To Rudy's surprise, though, Zac accepts Rudy's alcohol induced invitation to spend the holidays with him and his family in the countryside.

Zac, being an orphan, just wants to experience a real family Christmas, but
Ariana
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This book made me seriously homesick.
Christmas at Rudy's (Ha! how's that for a name with a Christmassy theme!) was just a picture perfect British Christmas - an old farm house, a cosy kitchen with an aga, some chilly rooms (LOL -yes! So true!), a noise loving family, turkey, mince pies and endless cups of tea and wine! And a frozen landscape wrapped around it. Yeah! And sigh. I wanted to go to Rudy's house for Christmas, too!

Rudy IS sweet and cute, and he seriously fancies the pants off Zac. Hi
Ami
Well, Mr. Northcote ... this might just be my new favorite of yours.

A Family for Christmas totally embodies the spirit of the holiday -- with adorable characters who both are not so confident in relationship, lots of family members, cute pets (CATS, CATS, CATS! This cat person is jubilant), fun games to play, foods and alcohol, and don't forget, kiss under the mistletoe ^^ .

I loved how the romance played out, although it happened only on those few days but it felt right and convincing. When
Denise H.
*** I love a heartwarming Jay Northcote book ! ***
Rudy is tall, 24, a blue eyed web designer/copywriter

for the Charity, Rainbow Futures, which caters to LGBTQ youth. The setting is British, where we begin with a staff party to celebrate the season, which includes tequila shots all around.
Zac, new to work, usually doesn't go to these

work related events, but he's agreed this time. After a night of drunkenness and a bit of debauchery, Rudy throws up, Zac gets him home safely, there is a memorab
Lyndy Ann ♫
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Family for Christmas is a beautiful love story about two lonely souls getting together over Christmas.

Rudy and Zac have been working together for over a month.

Rudy is attracted to Zac but he is painfully shy.

Zac is a loner he keeps to himself at work.

The whole office even Zac go for Christmas drinks, the tequila starts flowing and Rudy gets brave starts talking to Zac and he even kisses him.

The kiss does not go quite to plan and Zac takes Rudy home while they talk Rudy invites Zac to come home
Karen
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
‘A Family for Christmas’ it’s an awesome way to start off the holidays...

and put a smile on your face. This one’s got it all family, love, the best holiday of the year, a pretty awesome dog and more than one epic cat…seriously one of these cats is named ‘Hardy’ and he’s a ginger…that’s right there’s a ginger…tabby cat in this story but still he’s a ginger and if you’re still holding out there’s more…

There’s Rudy, he’s shy and a bit nerdy. At 24 years old he may not a virgin but he’s pretty c
MaDoReader
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute ;)
Meags
3.5 Stars

This was another fun, sweet and hopeful Northcote Christmas read.

Rudy is shy and a little awkward, but sweeter than honey. He’s also 24 years old, a virgin (although not completely innocent) and has the hots for his new work colleague, Zac.

Zac has a complicated past and prefers to keep things professional in the workplace. He’s not one for relationships, social or romantic, but when he shares a heated kiss with his co-worker Rudy, things begin to get a little more complicated than Zac
Ele
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holidays
*4.25 stars*

All the warm and fuzzy Christmas feels! I loved Jay Northcote's
What Happens at Christmas last year, so I was very giddy for his holiday story this year too. A Family for Christmas did not disappoint! Also, "pretend boyfriends" trope!

Rudy is shy, awkward and kind-hearted. He also has the biggest crush ever on his new co-worker, Zac, despite the fact that he hasn't exchanged more than a couple of words with him. And really, it's pretty difficult to steal more than a few words at a tim
Christelle
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Zac didn”t had a nice start in life, with no family to take care of him, so he keeps to himself. Then, at his new work place, he meets Rudy, the very cute and shy Rudy and, after a work party with a bit too much of Tequila, Rudy loosens his tongue and invite Zac for a Christmas’s family gatherings and Zac..well, Zac agrees to come.

In need of a very sweet romance (but not sugary, nor OTT), a comfort read with an awesome HEA, with no pretense and a touch of laugh ? This is it. Zac and Rudy are bot
Catherine
*** 4.25 Stars ***

Yup, this is the sweet, fluffy Christmas crack that I was hoping for when I pick up a Northcote book. He delivers adorable MCs, a little raw emotion and awkwardness, and a dash of smex like no one else.
Amanda
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novella needs a more festive cover. This read definitely put me in a mood for the holiday and it sucks that I have to read this in between my lunch break.

Rudy is a shy and awkward guy who had a big crush on his new colleague, Zac. Rudy is such a sweetheart and his fail attempt at seduction is too funny, but I don't want to laugh at his expense. During one of their company's drunken night out, Rudy accidentally invited Zac back to his hometown for the upcoming celebration after realizing the
BR11
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet, sweet, low drama Christmas story. When you're in the mood for a zero angst story, Jay Northcote never fails to deliver with her sweet British boys.
Neither the story nor the set-up are original, yet it's a feel-good story and everybody is in the mood for a book like that every once in a while.
Medium steam for this one and, of course, a happy ending.
Free with Kindle Unlimited.
Chris
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-contemporary
Really enjoyed this - sweet, warm, low angst and fun. Rudy & Zac had beautiful chemistry that started as friends, hesitant as it was, and then slowly evolved. As trust built, fears were relaxed. This really was very cute ❤️
Bev

Nice one Jay. Another goodie to add to my Christmas Cracker bookshelf. 4.5 stars from me.
Sheri
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Christmas, I truly do. I love everything about it. I go overboard and indulge in every moment. I shop like crazy, I decorate every room, and turn the kitchen into a danger zone. The more chaotic the better! One thing I always cherish, is opening Northcote’s annual holiday story. He always delivers a tender tale with a heavy dose of heat and it’s becoming one of my traditions. Relaxing with a hot toddy while reading a hot telling from one of my favorite authors. This year we are given Rudy ...more
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

YAY, the perfect book to get me into the holiday mood!

This was a really solid Holiday read! Its really one of my favorite seasons to read. I love Holiday stories, and this had the perfect combination of sweet, heat, and yearning that I needed! Really enjoyed the characters in this book alot. Rudy & Zac were definitely opposites attract, but I think being able to communicate with each other is what won this book over for me. Rudy is this sweet, awkward, inexperienced guy who has the biggest crush
Lisazj1
I had my fingers crossed for this one, thank you so much to Elf is Not My Real Name!! <3

4.5 Stars!! I loved it. This story filled me with all the warmth and happiness I look for in a holiday story, and I loved the sweet development to the relationship between Rudy and Zac. The ending was everything a romantic heart could want, even if a little awkward, which only made it more perfect for them. <3

And even if Rudy's family can't adopt me, can I spend all the rest of my Christmases with them?

Than
books_and_brew

So sugary sweet that you can't help but smile! I love these holiday themed stories and it gives a nice break to the heavier books/themes that can drag you down. Sometimes, you just need some holiday cheer and romance to make you smile!

Rudy and Zac were so cute together and I loved seeing how they went from coworkers to lovers. What more do you need than a weekend away with family, Christmas shenanigans and a rescue cat?

On to the next!
Play Book Tag: [Flurries] A Family for Christmas by Jay Northcote - 4 stars 1 9 Dec 14, 2019 06:29AM

• Merry Cherry Christmas
  • A Guy For Christmas
  • Eight Nights in December
  • Cupcakes & Christmas
  • Where the Lovelight Gleams
  • Naughty & Nice (Love Notes, #2)
  • Cabin Fever
  • By the Numbers (Love Logic, #3)
  • Not Over Yet
  • Gideon (Boyfriend For Hire, #3)
  • Angels in the City
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website c