Start by marking “Polio and Me” as Want to Read:
Polio and Me

Polio and Me

The year is 1943. A five year old boy wakes up. He cannot stand or hold an apple in his hand. The boy is rushed to his family doctor, diagnosed with polio, and taken from his mother's arms to the contagion ward at the county hospital.
Despite decades of futile research, polio epidemics continued to paralyze and kill hundreds of thousands od adults and children well into th
Published October 25th 2016 by Different Drummer Press

Fran
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Polio and Me: Ken Dalton

Take a trip back in time to 1943 and a young five year old boy named Kenneth Dalton whose life changed when he woke up one morning and could not move his limbs in order to walk, hold an object in his hand like an apple and is rushed to a hospital and taken out of his mother’s loving arms and placed in a room where no one but hospital staff was allowed to see him. Imagine being diagnosed with polio as your family doctor insists you remain in the hospital and in quarantine
Reeca Elliott
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is many things I want to say about this memoir. I learned so much. I love a book which has me doing research. This book had me on Google through most of it!

I cannot imagine going through what this author went through. How far we have come with healthcare. When he is taken away at 5 years of age from his parents...no hospital would dream of doing that now. And the disability access he could not have at school....amazing how things have changed.

Being a pharmacist, I enjoyed the science par
Sage Adderley-Knox
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ken Dalton has written a nonfiction book that combines his personal experience with having polio as a child, his family history, as well as a ton of information about polio. I learned a lot about the treatment children had to endure who were diagnosed with polio, the oppression of the disabled, and how laws changed over time for inclusion and protection.

I appreciate the honesty and memories that Ken shared in this book. As a mother, I can't imagine any of my children going through something thi
Bailey Ember
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
I love the authenticity Ken Dalton brought to the table. It takes a lot to just put it all out there and let everyone in on your hardest times.

I found this novel really thought-provoking. It really makes you step back and take a look at yourself and your life and how you would have been different had these things happened to you. I found myself thinking hard about things I hadn't thought about before reading this.

This is by far one of the most emotional and powerful reads I have read this year.
C. Gonzales
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
This novel was enlightening for me. I have never known anyone who suffered from Polio, but this novel really manages to shed light on a struggle for a little boy that you may have never had the chance to know about before. Its a memoir that gives you hope and shows perseverance and determination. Its heartbreaking and empowering at the same time. A solid non-fiction read.
Gina Stamper
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Emotional and so very real and authentic. I think Ken Dalton has done a superb job of having the experience translated to the reader through emotions. I found myself completely heartbroken for him. You are with him through this novel, you are lonely with him, you are rooting for him, and you are so completely invested.
RABT Book Tours and PR
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Virtual Book Tour: Polio and Me by Ken Dalton #KenDalton @RABTBookTours #Non-Fiction #Memoir

Lenore Webb
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now you would think that having one new book published this year would be quite a feat. But no, not Ken Dalton. He published two! And it is the second book, Polio and Me, that was really worth reading. This one was not a mystery but a true adventure. A real life adventure, one that Ken lived. Here he was able to take us to a time in life that hardships had to be overcome with grit and determination. I imagine he meant to share his experiences of polio so we could learn from it. And yes, I did. B ...more
Barbara Brown
sonit
Apr 03, 2019
Cassandra Clyde
May 21, 2019
KEN DALTON was born in 1938 at Hollywood Hospital. He grew up with his parents, his older sister, Pat, and younger brother, Richard in Los Angeles. The year 1938 informs the quick reader that Ken’s older than a lot of people, but younger than some.

In a turn of bad luck, the dreaded Polio virus found Ken.

At the end of World War ll, Ken’s family moved to Cheyenne, Wyoming for a year where he learned