Start by marking “3” as Want to Read:

You just have to be a brave and certain kind of person, and I don't think that I am. I'm sarcastic and loyal and a little shy. I'm quietly and slightly Catholic. I'm a daughter trying to learn how to be a sister. I'm a virgin. I'm a butterflier.

I've never been in love.

Published October 31st 2016

To ask other readers questions about 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 3

Hannah
Oct 26, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book! It is very important to me.

The playlist is full of movie and musical stuff, because me:

Fidelity--Regina Spektor
The Way I Am--Ingrid Michaelson
A Lonel
Janani
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading any of Hannah's work, and it was such a delight. Her characters are wonderfully governed by all of the hormones and feelings of teenagers. Taylor was great, but Josey had my head and heart from the beginning. I loved that the poly relationship depicted felt real and went through the motions, without ending in a neatly tied up HEA.

TW: Abortion
charlotte
i love this and i love the characters and theyre so soft and happy and im gonna cry
Xan West
So I really enjoyed this book. It's a YA romance that's *about* polyamory, but it doesn't simplify things. The polyamorous relationship (sort of a V? sort of a triad?) in this book is complicated, and the obstacles the characters face in the romance feel real, and deeply drawn. I really liked that these characters were grappling with other things besides being polyamorous.

Taylor, the POV main character, is deeply compelling, and characterized in a complex nuanced way. I fell for her really hard
Mel
Have you seen what I did with the rating (down below)? (4 stars for the story and 1 for the editing/proofing.) I need to get this off my chest first, because I am seriously pissed off and frustrated. This book has a really good story, one that is rarely told (look at them tags), but the editing and proofing is so abysmal that I cannot recommend this book to anyone, which pains me because it’s a fucking shame. Well, I’m not saying you shouldn’t read it, especially if you want to read about teenag ...more
Mel González
"Don't look at me," Josey says. "She's your girlfriend."
"Yeah, now she's my girlfriend," Theo says. "When she wins swim meets it's all our girlfriend is so amazing, isn't she, Theo, but as soon as she confuses you again she's all my problem again."

A fantastic book that made me challenge my own preconceptions on so many different topics, it made me look at my misogyny and sexism in the face and say fuck you. It's an unique book but it's also a book that has a lot of the contemporary things w
idiomatic
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
the pacing is APPALLING and the girls don't kiss.
amanda
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
this was really good! i lowkey wanted Taylor and Josey to also be together and kinda sorta cared more about them than about Taylor and Theo because they had a really cute dynamic and by lowkey i really mean highkey because of the things said by Taylor in regards to Josey (aka her saying that she's in love with her??). i was definitely expecting ~something~ to happen between them, but i loved how their relationship developed anyways. Josey was totally my favourite character.

polyamory is definite
Lexie
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books, lgbtq
I am absolutely in love with this book. The characters, the family dynamics, and the dialogue were all so amazing and realistic. The way Taylor thought felt so realistic to me, I felt like I was literally in the head of a confused and worried junior in high school.

This is only my second Hannah Moskowitz book (I read Not Otherwise Specified not too long ago and absolutely loved it) but Hannah is easily one of my favorite authors. As I mentioned before, her characterization is amazing. She just h
Kberlatsky
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful, exquisite book. My heart is filled with love after reading it and the closer I got to the end the more sad I got because I really, truly didn't want it to be over. I love these characters, and this story, and this writing, and I'm going to spend the next six months being so so happy that I had the privilege of reading this book.
Leah
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. I've never read a book about a poly relationship and I was intrigued how it worked between Theo, Josey and Taylor, but I also kinda wanted more between Josey and Taylor.

Also, the editing was pretty bad. Not going to lie. I picked up on so many spelling errors and incorrect words and missing words and it was glaringly obvious, which was a shame. I always find multiple errors bring me out of the book.
Chasia Lloyd
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Polyamory in YA! Yes! Very good. Also the rare abortion topic! But the formatting in this book made it very difficult to read and took away from my enjoyment.
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
3.5 stars maybe? I don't know.
Parker Goodreau
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tear-jerkers
This is a wonderful book and I think you should read it. Some notes from my reading experience (as enthusiastically emailed to hannah, play-by-play style, with spoilers removed):

On pg 50 and I love everybody. I'm very into Theo, he has this air of unpretentious/unstudied relaxation that I'm not used to seeing in YA boyfriends, it's super neat. Kind of entranced by Josey, I can't wait to learn more about her.

I was already ruined for non-feminists, but if I weren't, I'm certain Theo would be a big
Adiba Jaigirdar
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, reviewed
Super glad I decided to give this a read. Never really read anything with a poly relationship before and it was really interesting to read about.
The best thing about this book is probably the characters. They're very endearing, but also really fleshed out. I like that all the misconstructions about polyamory wasn't a black and white thing, but very nuanced.
There were a fair few typos, which were a bit off-putting, but nothing that really majorly took away from the book. Overall, a fantastic rea
Josephine (biblioseph)
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I've never been in love.

Taylor Cipriano had everything figured out, back when she lived with her single mother in Miami. Now, she's moved upstate for her junior year to live with her mom's boyfriend and her soon-to-be-stepsister and is trying to figure ou
Lydia
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
So I really wanted to love this book but it kinda fell short in some areas. I've read Break by Hannah Moskowitz and loved it, I thought the plot was so original. I was specifically looking for books about polyamory, had a hard time finding anything interesting, gave up and just started looking at authors I previously read and enjoyed and ended up looking at Hannah's work and it felt like fate that she wrote a book about polyamory, and YA polyamory at that!

I do think the strengths of this book ar
Liz
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.

I came across it while searching for representations of polyamory in fiction other than sci-fi or fantasy (a surprisingly difficult task). And I was not disappointed.

The author clearly knows her stuff when it comes to poly, showing it as an option that’s just as valid as monogamy, and including both some of the specific joys and specific challenges of poly relationships.

At the same time, she managed to avoid turning the book into a “poly 101” manual. The characters were well-w
Aleksandra
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fluffy and adorable!

3 is a wonderful YA contemporary about Cuban-American 16 year old Taylor whose mum is getting married and they move to a new town, which means a new school for Taylor. She meets Theo and Josie and it's all very cute and endearing and polyamorous.

My first book about polyam relationship. I adore this three teens. They are so in love with each other, they push each other to become better people. I'm so here for healthy relationship based on mutual love and respect. Taylor was ne
Felicia Davin
I will read absolutely anything with a polyamorous romance in it. I confess to some initial skepticism regarding the combination of young adults and polyamory, but it was handled so well and all the characters were well-drawn. The whole thing was super cute and really enjoyable. It also had some dialogue that made me laugh out loud. My one wish is that Taylor and Josey had kissed, but at least they did have a really deep and important relationship.
Azânia
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Eu acho que a Hannah é minha nova autora favorita. Eu simplesmente to apaixonada pelos livros dela. Infelizmente, 3 tem um MONTE de erros de digitação (por isso perdeu uma estrelinha) que me fizeram ter que reler algumas frases várias vezes pra entender, o que é uma pena. Porém esse livro ganha vários pontos por:
- Representatividade bi
- Poliamor
- Coming of age story (é provavelmente meu período de vida favorito pra ler livros sobre)
- Narrativa feminista
Jess
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I'm still sort of reeling that it took reading this book for me to remember how it used to take two people and a gallon of water to get a swim cap on my head.

Anyway, the message/premise was interesting, even if the characters were a bit one-dimensional and I felt not a lot of emotional attachment to any of them.
cat
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is such a good book. Everyone should read this book. It's so beautiful. I love Theo and Josey and Taylor so much. They are so beautiful and also my favorite people ever. This is all just really so very good and I'm so happy. I love these kids so much they deserve everything.
K.C. O'Neill
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I completely love this author.

My second read from Ms Moskowitz and both have been five star reads. Full of family, heart, and self discovery, 3 was a beautiful story about love in all its forms. I highly recommend it, and can't wait to read all the rest of her books.
Megan Weiss
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
The book itself is great and I love the story but the editors for the kindle edition need to step up and do some revising because there are so many typos in it. It makes me really frustrated because it makes the publisher and the author look sloppy and takes away from a great novel.
Krista
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5
Lauren
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-middle-grade
Not a lot happens in this book, it's basically an extended character/relationship study. I loved it!
kat
Loved this book :)
Eveline Mann
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hannah Moskowitz wrote her first story, about a kitten named Lilly on the run from cat hunters, for a contest when she was seven years old. It was disqualified for violence. Her first book, BREAK, was on the ALA's 2010 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, and in 2013, GONE, GONE, GONE received a Stonewall Honor. 2015's NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED was named the YA Bisexual Book of the Year. She ...more
“I'm a Miami girl. I'm not meant to be in anything under eighty degrees, ever.               Shut” 0 likes
“I'm expanded!” I grab my belly flab and shake it at her.” 0 likes