Start by marking “Charlie THE Choo-Choo” as Want to Read:
Charlie THE Choo-Choo

Charlie THE Choo-Choo

Fans of Stephen King’s 'The Dark Tower' will definitely want this picture book about a train engine and his devoted engineer.

Engineer Bob has a secret: His train engine, Charlie the Choo-Choo, is alive … and also his best friend. From celebrated author Beryl Evans and illustrator Ned Dameron comes a story about friendship, loyalty, and hard work.

Beryl Evans is the pseudony
Published November 22nd 2016 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Charlie THE Choo-Choo, please sign up.
Paul I honestly think it's a tad too sinister for kids...it's more a collectable for DT completists...I think I would have been scared by it as a kid, but …moreI honestly think it's a tad too sinister for kids...it's more a collectable for DT completists...I think I would have been scared by it as a kid, but it also could turn some older kids into DT fans.(less)

Start your review of Charlie THE Choo-Choo
Adina
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For an uninformed readership, Charlie the Choo-Choo appears to be an innocent children story written by Stephen King. Well, it is much more (do you actually think SK writes children stories?) and the true meaning of this story will only be revealed to the reader in the 3rd book of The Dark Tower series, The Waste Lands. So, read it as an companion to that novel.
Dan Schwent
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books, 2016
Charlie the Choo-Choo has a secret. He can talk! But what will happen to Charlie and Engineer Bob once Charlie is replaced by a diesel locomotive?

Straight from the pages of The Waste Lands comes Charlie the Choo-Choo, the book within a book inspired by Blaine the Mono.

The tale reminds me a lot of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. Charlie and Engineer Bob are great until they are heartlessly replaced but still get one more shot at glory when the chips are down.

The artwork is suitably creepy. Ch
Kyriakos Sorokkou
DTProject2017 | Supplementary Text 1

In Stephen King's 3rd book of The Dark Tower series called The Waste Lands on chapter III, section 22, the young protagonist Jake Chambers buys a fictional picture book by a fictional author called Beryl Evans. He reads the whole book and we read it along with him with the exception that he sees the pictures and we just get a description of them.

A few months ago, in November 2016 this fictional picture book was published as a real, tangible book with the p
Trish
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, that was one hell of a ride. And I mean every word of that *lol*

I've decided to read Stephen King's Dark Tower series this year and this story features in the 3rd installment. So I was delighted when I found out that someone had actually published it for real!

The story is that of Charlie, a steam train engine, and of his conductor Bob, an engineer. They live a pretty good life until the day Charlie is replaced by a newer model because the world has moved on.
But old doesn't always equal una
Paul E. Morph
To the uninitiated, this is just a slightly odd children's book. To those of us who have travelled through certain territories, however, it's something else entirely...

Long days and pleasant nights to you all...
Edward Lorn
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just fucking cool. Read it to my son and he dug the hell out of it, as did I.
Calista
If feels like this has a connection to Stephen Kings Midworld from the Dark Tower. This is a Choo- Choo named Charlie who can talk. He is fast and makes a fast run blowing his whistle from Topeka to St. Louis. One day he is replaced and is sad. Then he is given another chance and ends up pulling kids in an amusement park.

The smile on Charlie's face can look a little evil and a little happy. It is a tiny unsettling. A decent book.
Johann (jobis89)
"Don't ask me silly questions, I won't play silly games.
I'm just a simple choo-choo train, and I'll always be the same.
I only want to race along, beneath the bright blue sky,
and be a happy choo-choo train, until the day I die."

Charlie The Choo-Choo is a children's book based on a book detailed in Stephen King's Dark Tower series and is written under the pseudonym of Beryl Evans.

Ever since I heard this was being released, I was SO SO excited - who doesn't love Charlie the Choo-Choo? An ingenious
Ashley Daviau
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge fan of King's The Dark Tower series, of course I had to pick this up! It was really great seeing this story come to life after reading about it in the original series, it almost felt surreal! I really loved the illustrations as well, I thought they were just perfect and really suited the tone of the story! And of course I can't leave this review without mentioning the quote from the King himself on the front cover, that definitely got a chuckle out of me!
Andre Gonzalez
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for any Stephen King fan to have! The artwork is creepy as you'd expect from a children's story by the master of horror! It's a quick, fun read, and an awesome add to the King collection!
Bradley
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this can be read on its own for its own sake, I wouldn't really recommend it. The story is fine aside from some rather obvious sexual innuendo (Thank you, Stephen King!), but the real horror is in the drawings.

What appears to be laughing, happy children in Charlie's passenger cars are actually crying, wailing, and zonked-out. Charlie's expression seems to be one of a slightly dim, thuggish brute.

The subtlety in this children's book is really delightful. Scary. Disturbing. :) I love it.

Mindi
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for anyone who loves The Dark Tower series. I mean seriously, it's a picture book featuring characters from a King universe. What more needs to be said?
José
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower fans
English | Español

"Don't ask me silly questions
I won't play silly games
I'm just a simple choo-choo train
And I'll always be the same.

I only want to race along
Beneath the bright blue sky
And be a happy choo-choo train
Until the day I die.

This is what happen when Stephen King writes a book for children xD

The artwork of this book is absolutely amazing, and it's a faithful adaptation of one of the most unsettling moments in the whole Dark Tower series.

You can read it online here: http://birthmoviesdeath
James
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Charlie the Choo-Choo' by Stephen King (under the pseudonym of Beryl Evans) - is based on a fictional children's novel which is apparently central to the world created in King's 'Dark Tower' series of books.

As such, it will be of definite interest to readers of 'The Dark Tower' and I'm presuming will have more relevance to and resonate with those readers - but for others, it just about stands up in its own right as a half decent children's story about an engineer and his steam locomotive (the e
Wayne Barrett

A book that a child or a Stephen King fan can enjoy... especially if they are a fan of the Dark Tower series.
Claudia
Since it mentioned The Dark Tower, I thought the story would have the same nuts Charlie, but it turned out that it is just a sweet story for children, with a sweet Charlie, awesome illustrations but a not so sweet smile on Charlie’s face.

Bottom line is that it was a nice way to spent 10 minutes but nothing more for me. I’m definitely not in the targeted audience for this book, even though I loved The Dark Tower series and its insane Charlie.

Pictures of it here: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Don't ask me silly questions, I won't play silly games.
I'm just a simple choo-choo train, and I'll always be the same.
I only want to race along, beneath the bright blue sky, and be a happy choo-choo train, until the day I die.

A sinister, yet sweet, Stephen King picture book for Dark Tower fans! Epic concept. Brilliant marketing ploy. King is the ultimate badass!
Marc-Antoine
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHOOO-OOO!
Lauren Stoolfire
Straight of Mid-World! I think Blaine the Mono (out of Stephen King's The Waste Lands) would love to get to know Charlie the Choo-Choo and his engineer. Think creepy Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel!
Veronica
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-2017
I absolutely loved this book and read it to my 7 year old son. He asked me to read it twice then he decided to read it on his own <3 Definitely a keeper and a good way to introduce young readers to Stephen King! ...more
Γιώργος Γιώτσας
Don't ask me silly questions,

I won't play silly games.

I'm just a simple choo-choo train

And I'll always be the same
Abigail
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny must-have if you're a devotee of the Dark Tower series!
Baba
A children's book straight out of The Dark Tower saga! Illustrator Ned Dameron pitched the art just perfectly! The very important last page of the story is also picture perfect, do ya 'ken? A must buy for fans and collectors of The Dark Tower books. 9 out of 12.
Teri
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is such a cute little children's story from the King of horror. Beryl Evans is Stephen King's pseudonym, the name coming from one of his characters in The Dark Tower series. Charlie the Choo-Choo is not a horror story but a lovely book for young kids, about an old coal powered train and his trusty engineer, Bob. Charlie and Bob have spent years making the St. Louis to Wichita run until a new diesel train is brought in to take Charlie's place. Is it retirement time for Charlie?
Addie
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sai-king
Of course I bought this book. Of course I read it in my car in the parking lot of Barnes & Noble. Of course I get that shiver when I look at the cover, at Charlie, at the children that are screaming/crying in joy/terror. Of course. ...more
Sjgomzi
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-list-2017
As a Dark Tower fan, I'm so happy this exists!
Jason
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower Fans, kids
Recommended to Jason by: Maturin
This is the best thing I've seen since Rogue One, and since I just went and saw that again this evening, that makes this the best thing I've seen in the last three hours, but it's still getting all the stars because it deserves them.

If I knew nothing about the Dark Tower series, I guess I'd give this two stars as a standalone kids' book. It's fine as far as children's stories go, but a couple parts are a little strange, and it has the word "hell" in it once which I find completely unnecessary in
Michelle
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult review for me. Stephen King is my favorite author, and I've often said that if he wrote a menu, I would read it. This truly *is* a childen's book, yet it is also Stephen King. I love the tie-in to his Dark Tower series, and have been thinking of how much a child who reads this will enjoy reading Dark Tower in the future (read Beedle of the Bard, then Harry Potter series).

The children's book storyline is good - elements of perseverance, loyalty, patience, and true value. Char
Michael
I didn't really get this one. I mean, it's a pleasant enough story: old train engine has some great years carrying people and things, then is put out to pasture when the new fancy engine is built, then (view spoiler). The extra zinger in this one is supposed to be that it's a disturbing children's book from Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but I didn't find it to be creepy or inspiring. The smile on the engine's face was bizarre, b ...more
Joshua Jorgensen
Stephen King is a legend. That's really all that can be said about him. A true, beautiful, living legend.
This is an easter egg for DARK TOWER fans, but it also stands on its own as a genuine children's novel. Some of the images are darker, and sadder--but it IS Stephen King.
In short, this is a beautifully rendered tale of friendship, and can be enjoyed by children and adults, alike!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Dark Man
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus
  • The Little Sisters of Eluria (The Dark Tower, #0.5)
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • Carrie / 'Salem's Lot / The Shining
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • If It Bleeds
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • Black House (The Talisman, #2)
  • The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead
  • The Turtle Boy (Timmy Quinn #1)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)
  • Treachery
  • The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database. For more information please see Beryl Evans.

Pseudonym of Stephen King.