Start by marking “Black Dog Short Stories II” as Want to Read:
Black Dog Short Stories II

Black Dog Short Stories II

(Black Dog)

Mothers and Sisters
Before the failure of the miasma that hid all supernatural darkness from the sight of ordinary humans, brutal black dogs sometimes ruled as kings—sometimes for generations. In a country where black dogs rule and the Pure are despised, even a girl as fierce and determined as Keziah finds life a precarious struggle. But after her little sister is born, she
Published October 24th 2016 by Anara Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Black Dog Short Stories II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Dog Short Stories II

Start your review of Black Dog Short Stories II
Beth
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Somehow I missed this one! (And for some reason, it isn’t available for Nook. Some of us don’t want to be entirely tied to the Amazon ecosystem! Buuut I bought this on Amazon anyway. Sigh.)

To reiterate, I’m reading this after Shadow Twin, though its events take place first. So I’ll start at the end, with the last story. It’s meant to set up the entire third book and yet I still think my criticism stands: too much new mythology! Vampires have existed for centuries but witches spring up out of the
Mouselet
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Black Dog
Recommended to Mouselet by: Rachel Neumeier
Like with the first collection, Black Dog Short Stories II does a great job of filling the space between novels with stories that continue to flesh out the world and characters. The four stories here include Keziah and Amira's backstory, a solo adventure for Ezekiel, Ethan becoming more than just Grayson's obnoxious nephew, and Justin finally visiting his grandmother.

All of them help to illustrate something important, whether it's a character motivation, Ezekiel's badass-ness having limits, a ch
Donna Cansdale
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great back stories

Perfect fillers fot the black dog universe. Background on the how and why of relationships and personalities that enhance the reader's understanding and sympathy for the main and supporting characters. An accomplished author, doing a skillful job. Neumeier is a skilled craftsman in her field.
scarlettraces
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have run out of Black Dog for now. This makes me sad.
Aelvana
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories expands on a few more pieces of the Black Dog universe. The book contains four short stories and a short essay on how witches, vampires, and black dogs all fit into the universe.

The first story, Mothers and Daughters (although the interior text had it titled Mothers and Sisters) is Keziah's backstory. As might be expected, it explains where she grew up and how her sister got her scar, and how and why they went to Dimilioc. This is the only story set before both B
Jo Oehrlein
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I needed another fix of Black Dog and the timing (just before Halloween) was perfect!

Mothers and Sisters
The back story of Keziah and Amira says so much about who they are and where they come from.

Unlikely Allies
I liked the interaction between Ezekiel and the police detective. It was interesting to see them form a careful partnership, neither quite sure what the other would do. And, we have an emphasis on Dimilioc's protection for women and their choices.

Bank Job
A reappearance of Colonel Herrod.
Kim Aippersbach
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this world and this series, and short stories are a great medium for giving us little vignettes of character development and intriguing hints of a new big bad to come!

The characters are the strength of this series: they're each so well-developed, with their own character arcs that interact with each other in interesting, believable, dramatic ways. The black dog world of competing power, agendas and loyalties is a fascinating setting in which to explore different kinds of relationships, an
Jenny
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm so excited for the next novel after these short stories!
Rebecca
This was fun and whetted my appetite for the next book, Shadow Twin. I enjoyed coming back into this world.
Alise
Lezlie Ward
Aug 18, 2017
Kootch
Nov 10, 2017

• Strength (Curse of the Gods, #4)
  • The Last Hour of Gann
  • The Bridges of Madison County
  • The Demon of Darkling Reach (The Black Prince Trilogy, #1)
  • Land of the Beautiful Dead
  • When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1)
  • Invincible (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #2)
  • The Scholomance
  • A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1)
  • A Wolf Apart (The Legend of All Wolves, #2)
  • Forever Wolf (The Legend of All Wolves, #3)
  • Guardian (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #3)
  • The Shadow (Men of the White Sandy, #3)
  • The Last Wolf (The Legend of All Wolves, #1)
  • The Sheriff (Men of the White Sandy, #5)
  • The Medic (Men of the White Sandy, #4)
  • Seduction (Curse of the Gods #3)
  • Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)
Rachel Neumeier started writing fiction to relax when she was a graduate student and needed a hobby unrelated to her research. Prior to selling her first fantasy novel, she had published only a few articles in venues such as The American Journal of Botany. However, finding that her interests did not lie in research, Rachel left academia and began to let her hobbies take over her life instead.

She n

Black Dog (3 books)
  • Black Dog (Black Dog, #1)
  • Pure Magic (Black Dog, #2)
  • Shadow Twin (Black Dog #3)