Start by marking “Hollywood Homicide (Detective by Day #1)” as Want to Read:
Hollywood Homicide (Detective by Day #1)

Hollywood Homicide

(Detective by Day #1)

Dayna Anderson doesn’t set out to solve a murder. All the semi-famous, mega-broke black actress wants is to help her parents keep their house. After witnessing a deadly hit-and-run, she figures pursuing the fifteen-grand reward isn’t the craziest thing a Hollywood actress has done for some cash.

But what starts as simply trying to remember a speeding car soon blossoms into
Published August 8th 2017 by Midnight Ink

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Homicide, please sign up.
Kellye Hi. Just saw this. I actually did. I was out there for 8 years and worked as a Writers' Assistant on this one-season show on Lifetime called Angela's…moreHi. Just saw this. I actually did. I was out there for 8 years and worked as a Writers' Assistant on this one-season show on Lifetime called Angela's Eyes. And then I spent a year as a staff writer on Cold Case on CBS. (less)

Kellye
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Best book ever...written by me. Also only book written by me so...

Seriously, I've wanted to write a book since I was 5 and still can't believe it is happening!

Thank you everyone for reading it.
Barbara
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

Like lots of gals in Hollywood, Dayna Anderson wanted to be famous, and she was.....for a while. The pretty black actress was the face of "Chubby's Chicken"commercials for two years, until they 'went in a different direction.' Since then Dayna has retired from acting, and supports herself with temp positions as best she can. This makes it tough for Dayna to buy gas for her Pepto-Bismol pink car or minutes for her pay-as-you-go phone. To save money, Dayna has even moved into a combination bedroom
Mary Ann Marlowe
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 17-scribes
I was fortunate enough to read an advance copy of this book. I was sucked in from the opening scene of this fun cozy mystery. The main character, Dayna, is so cool and fun to hang out with. When she happens upon the trail of a mystery that could earn her a big reward, she decides to play amateur detective, chasing down leads and thinking she can solve a crime and make some money. But her snooping could get her in big trouble. Her adventures take her through all kinds of neighborhoods in Hollywoo ...more
Gigi
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this fresh, funny, twisty-turny mystery. I'm looking forward to the next Detective by Day mystery.
Mark Baker
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2017
After one moderately successful commercial campaign, Dayna Anderson, Day to her friends, has given up on becoming an actress. The problem is, she still has bills that need to be paid and parents who are in danger of losing their home. So when she sees a billboard offering a reward for information on a hit and run and she realizes she and her friends were there, she figures she can provide the information. How hard could it be?

This being a novel, it turns out to be plenty hard, but that’s a great
Xueting
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was loads of fun. Finally, a cozy mystery with a person of colour (in this case, an African-American woman) as the amateur, smart detective. I learned lots of interesting little nuggets about the Hollywood industry too. The author poked fun at Hollywood but it was all light-hearted jest and it never got too much for me. Get ready for quite a few twists! I didn’t see most of them coming and they kept me guessing. The next book in the series is coming out soon and I’m excited to get back ...more
Anindita,  A Bohemian Mind at Work
This review and more: http://bohomind.com/hollywood-homicid...
Hollywood Homicide, Kellye Garrett's debut with the series Detective by Day, is an entertaining piece of a cozy mystery with a damsel under a lot of stress who takes matters into her hands instead of playing the easier role of a damsel in distress.

Dayna Anderson is a superb character. A 'retired' Hollywood actress who is almost famous for one commercial and a line (what a line!) is at her lowest of the low when her father faces evicti
Kelly
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK! I had a smile on my face the entire time I read HOLLYWOOD HOMICIDE. Dayna's voice leaps off the page, her humor and wit a breath of fresh air. The mystery keeps the pages flipping, and oh my God...the romance! It's subtle and perfect. Omari is mine. Called dibs. This was a blast of a read that shouldn't be missed.
Kaelan Rhywiol
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
*I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

I really wanted to adore this book. Instead, I only liked it a lot. (Still keeping my preorder.)

Small dif, right? Maybe.

There is so much to love about this book. The cover is absolutely amazeballs! Seriously, scroll back up and look at that gorgeous cover. In an age when most covers are photo-manipulated, Ms. Garrett’s book merited custom artwork.

Ms. Garrett has voice to worship upon an alter to, really, 3 pages into the book a
Divena
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always appreciate discovering a mystery novel with a black female sleuth because they are so hard to find. I first want to mention that I love the cover. Dayna is a retired actress who decides to become an amateur detective after seeing a billboard advertising $15,000 reward for tips leading to the arrest in the case of the murder of Haley Joseph. With the help of her friends Emme and Sienna she pursues the murderer.

With the setting being Hollywood this book mentions many real life locations
Kate Olson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-reads
What a fun read! The entire time I was reading this light amateur detective mystery I was thinking that it reminded me a bit of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, with a hint of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Malone. (Comping white, I know I know - I'm sorry!) But then I listened to an interview with Garrett on a podcast and she talked about her favorite authors and inspiration and THESE were the two main authors she mentioned! Evanovich and Grafton were absolute favorites of mine in high school and ...more
Miciah Bennett
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first cozy mystery I've read in some time. Although it ran long, I enjoyed Dayna, Sienna and Emme's friendship, as well as the fashion and the glitz and grit of Hollywood.
Liz Mc2
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Humour is a particularly individual reader taste and this wasn’t really my style. I found the characters superficial, but I think others would find them fun. Superficial in their interests and in their thin characterization—there wasn’t a lot of backstory for some and they didn’t seem plausible. Some had particular vocal tics but then the narrator commented on them, like I wouldn’t notice. That seems like a debut author kind of flaw.

The heroine, Dayna, goes charging into situations without thin
Adriana Arrington
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly fun read - lighthearted escapism at its best! Dayna, a former commercial star with a love/hate relationship with Hollywood, is a complex character brimming with personality. By the end of the novel, you'll wish she was your best friend, keeping you doubled over in laughter all day. The plot is fast-paced and filled with punchy dialogue. Garrett's secondary characters are convincing and memorable - from up-and-coming superstar Omari to super quirky ex-cop Aubrey S. Adams-Parker. Gar ...more
Kathleen
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is FANTASTIC. Mystery, humor, a dash of romance ... it's all there. I was so addicted to this book that I took it to the gym with me, spent longer than I planned on the cardio machine ("I just have to finish this chapter," I kept thinking ... and then finding myself starting a new chapter), and then eschewed my post-gym shower until I had turned the last page. And then I wished I had more pages to turn ... Author Kellye Garrett gives us a heroine to root for and laugh with in Dayna, an ...more
K.A.
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writer-friends
I was lucky enough to read an ARC of this book. I LOVED the MC's voice. Dayna was hilarious, smart, and strong under pressure. Her life was filled with worry and angst, but she held it together, pushed through like a boss, and . . . well, I don't want to spoil anything for when you read this awesome, funny, dark and twisty book. :) I loved it!
This was a funny, lighthearted cozy mystery. The Hollywood setting wasn't super compelling for me, so not one of my favorites, but I did enjoy it, so I'll likely read the next one. Dayna reminded me a bit of Stephanie Plum in the often inept way she bumbled through her investigation, so if you enjoy that series you'll probably like this one.
Michael Mammay
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is just pure fun. Imagine your friend trying to solve a murder, but the only things she knows about solving a crime are what she's seen on Law and Order. This book had me laughing out loud one minute, cringing for the hero, Dayna 'Day' Anderson the next. The side characters are extremely well developed and come to life on the page. There are former twin child stars, a wannabe reality star, and a host of others from around Hollywood.

The last chapters had me guessing, as Day was the fun
Joan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Hollywood Homicide is a wonderful debut mystery series by author Kellye Garrett. I found the main character, "retired" actress Dayna Anderson to be a smart, fun, likeable character. The story opens with Dayna interviewing for a waitress job now that she finds herself distressed financially and stressed about her aging parent's financial situation.

Dayna takes matters into her own hands when she stumbles upon an opportunity to solve a hit and run murder as well as collecting a $15,000 reward that
Mindy Mejia
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The most fun and refreshing debut I've read in a while. I absolutely love Dayna Anderson's retired actress, amateur sleuth, friends-and-family-first character. She's hilarious, practical, and so relatable. Garrett turns the Hollywood setting into a bizarre escapist alternate reality, while keeping us tethered firmly to the actual world via Dayna's sharp observations and jaded post-Tinseltown outlook. I cannot wait to read the next in the series!
Cortez III
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice, Cozy, and Oh-So-Funny, HOLLYWOOD HOMICIDE'S worth the money!

Hollywood Homicide, the multiple awards nominated and winning cozy mystery novel by Kellye Garrett, delivers its charm via the voice of the main character, Dayna Anderson. Day, as her friends call her, was a former star of a Chubby Chicken commercial that people she meets seem to recall to her displeasure. But on several occasions, she has fun with it through her dialogue and internal monologue. The first chapter sets up this funn
Kathleen Flynn
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a mystery in ages; so glad I read this one. I loved the wry, satirical voice of the first-person narrator, a failed aspiring actress turned amateur sleuth, and her deadpan vision of an L.A. full of the famous, the almost-famous, the would-be famous and their various hangers-on. This series is off to a promising start!
Ami

Dayna Anderson, a retired actress who is one famous for her Chubby’s Chicken chain commercial, is broke. Her contract with Chubby ends and she has been struggling to make ends meet. She is rather desperate -- this book opens with Dayna interviewing for a position as bikini barista! -- especially because her family also needs money to avoid foreclosure on their house.

Then Dayna sees a billboard that offers US$ 15.000 reward for an information about a hit-and-run that killed a young woma
Taryn Pierson
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is so much fun. If you’ve had a little too much doom and gloom but still want to solve a murder, this lighthearted romp through Tinseltown is just the thing. Dayna has “retired” from acting before her career ever really got started. Now she’s broke, sleeping in her best friend’s closet, and trying to keep her parents’ house out of foreclosure. When she sees a billboard advertising a hefty cash reward for information on an unsolved hit-and-run, Dayna decides it might be just the opportu ...more
Kelly Calabrese
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly entertaining, hilarious, and full of twists - HOLLYWOOD HOMICIDE kept me turning pages while rolling with laughter! Kellye Garrett's main character has a witty voice that I'd follow anywhere, and her supporting cast shines with quirk and charm. I can't wait to see what happens in her next novel for this series, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood banged down Kellye's door to offer her a TV or Movie deal based on her dynamic characters! If you're looking for a fun and clever mystery - ...more
V.M.
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If Stephanie Plum were a smart, clothes savvy black woman, she would be a lot like Dayna Anderson. Hollywood Homicide was funny and a great cozy. Kellye Garrett does a fantastic job of creating characters that are well developed individuals with their own personalities. The plot is well developed and keeps the reader interested until the last page.
Destiny
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud, exciting mystery alert!! I absolutely loved this book and starting from the first page, Dayna's voice was so engaging (and so funny) that it pulled me right from being a casual reader and straight into her world. I one million percent recommend this book and am so happy this is a series!
Heather Robin
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This first person narrative is a light, comedic mystery peppered with romance. The author did a great job developing characters whose superficial Hollywood interests and traits kept me engaged rather than invoking my customary repulsion. (Although, I often wanted to gag at the true-to-life pettiness and plastic parts.)

An ultra broke, out of work actress who "gave up the biz" (oh, how many times have I heard that before) embarks on an amateur sleuthing journey, complete with conspicuous stakeout
Lisa
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dayna is a retired actress whose parents are in foreclosure. Dayna has lost almost everything trying to help her parents out. In fact, she has even moved in with her friend to help make ends meet. When Dayna, Emme, Sienna and Omari see a hit and run, Dayna along with the help of a former police officer named Aubrey begin to chase down leads to see who killed Haley. You will meet some interesting characters throughout this story, including Audrey, a former police officer who is quite eccentric, T ...more
Rachel Mans Mckenny
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is SO FUN. Basically, if you're in the mood for a mystery that's going to make you laugh and be transported to Tinsel Town, pick this up. I'll be following the series!

Thanks to NetGalley for an Advance Copy in exchange for my honest review.
  • Murder in G Major (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries #1)
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Murder on Bamboo Lane (An Officer Ellie Rush Mystery #1)
  • First Time Sewing: Step-by-Step Basics and Easy Projects
  • Machinations (Machinations, #1)
  • Scot Free
  • Skies of Ash (Detective Elouise Norton #2)
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)
  • America's Next Reality Star (Reality Star, #1)
  • The Plot Is Murder (Mystery Bookshop, #1)
  • Devil's Gonna Get Him (Tamara Hayle, #2)
  • Blanche on the Lam (Blanche White #1)
  • Without A Doubt (The Carol Childs Mysteries, #3)
  • A Bed of Scorpions
  • S'more Murders (A Five-Ingredient Mystery #5)
  • Some Kind of Magic
Kellye Garrett’s first novel, Hollywood Homicide, won Agatha, Anthony, Lefty and IPPY awards for best first novel. It was also nominated for Macavity and Barry awards. Hollywood Ending, her second book in the Detective by Day mystery series, was chosen a best mystery of 2018 by Suspense Magazine, Book Riot and CrimeReads, which called it the most fun book of the year. In addition to writing, she c ...more

Detective by Day (3 books)
  • Hollywood Ending (Detective by Day #2)
  • Hollywood Hack (Detective by Day #3)