Start by marking “Fir” as Want to Read:
Fir

Fir

(Red Eye)

We are the trees. We are the snow.

We are the winter.

We are the peace. We are the rage.

Cut off from civilization by the harsh winter of northern Sweden, the Stromberg family shelter in their old plantation house. There are figures lurking in the ancient pine forests and they’re closing in. With nothing but four walls between the Strombergs and th
Published February 9th 2017 by Stripes Publishing (first published February 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Fir, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Fir
Amalia Gavea
‘’Once you’ve been out here for a while,
you can see them.
You can see them all.
We have been out here for a long, long while.’’

The fir tree is a symbol in a distinctive array of cultures. In Celtic Mythology, it is one of the nine sacred trees, a symbol of honesty, truth and strength. Its evergreen nature is a reminder of the continuation of life amidst the stillness of winter. In Native American culture, the fir tree is associated with protection and spirituality. And of course, we sh
Cora Tea Party Princess
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Family, isolation, chilling, mythology, fear.

Part Scandi-noir thriller, part chilling horror, with a side of ancient lore and subtle hint of environmental-awareness... I could not put this book down.

I think the greatest strength in this book, and the aspect I enjoyed the most, is the setting. It's just breathtaking. The atmosphere just builds and builds in intensity until suddenly you look up, and it's snowing outside, and for a moment you're terrified. You can hear the
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
OK readers, get ready for a long and rambling review on Fir because there is a lot that I would like to say about it. Myself and my boyfriend were really lucky enough to meet the author Sharon at a Literature festival close to where we are from and she was lovely to meet and talk horror stories with, as an aspiring horror writer myself, I've definitely learnt to make a note of all of the nightmares I have when I sleep since between the ages of 5-8 and 17 to present day, I've suffered quite badly ...more
Lucy Banks
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
Sharon Gosling’s Fir was an interesting addition to the already extensive collection of YA horror, but like many books in the genre didn’t quite live up to expectations.

Fir tells the story of the Stromberg family, who leave their comfortable inner city Stockholm life to move to a remote tree farm where the Stromberg patriarch hopes to rebuild the lumber business.  But there is something out in the old growth forest that begins terrorising the family, while they try and survive the harshness/>
John Milne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I went into this book not entirely knowing what to expect, as I had never read a Red Eye story before. I knew it would be a horror-based YA, but that was the extent of my knowledge. We bought three Red Eye books when we were on holiday in Cornwall earlier this year so I was hoping I would my first one!

It was a very accessible read, but my god did it take ages to get going. It wasn't until around page 150 that it started to really grip me, and don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that
Matilda Chapman
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firstly, this isn't the most original of horror stories you will ever read. It's got a creepy housekeeper, an angry teen, stupid life choices, etc etc... the list could go on. However, Fir had me hooked. I loved the Stromberg family, the fact that we never really find out a whole lot about the protagonist, the Swedish setting and above all how eerie the whole tale was.

It had a slow start but once it got going I didn't want to put it down, and I didn't! Think The Shining (I have no idea why this
Caroline
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was in the "eh, it's alright" three star range until the ending. (view spoiler) ...more
Bogdan
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Not so bad, as expected from some other reviews. Still, the ending was kind of unwelcome, but for me, I will lie if I say that I didn`t expect some of it.

Overall the writing was simple, without a lot of unnecessary informations.

We have a piece of mystery, a secular forest and a modern family that wants a new beginning.

But not all the things are as expected. As usual.

This is rated as a YA novel, but I can`t say that it was so evident for me. Because it has some blood in
Emily Carter-Dunn
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.

This is around a 3.5 star book for me.

The story is so descriptive, but in a good way. The icy wind was blowing around in my head, the snow was falling thick and fast in front of my eyes and I felt the trudging of the snow - every last step. The scenery in this novel is so vivid that I could see everything that was described.

I thoroughly enjoyed the narrative of the main character of the book and was as sassy a
Isabelle Jones
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book sounded great from the first page, the trees, the wolves and the setting lead me to believe that this book was going to be a great original horror story. Sadly I was wrong.

For me the book was all over the place from the trees to the snow and than to the history of the house. The book built itself up than dropped off only to build back up again. This was until the very end of the book. The ending of the book was what made me a little bit mad because the ending just ruined th
Madelene Waldron
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who doesn’t read horror, this really surprised me. It was compelling and easy to read and the protagonist was really compelling - and very cleverly created with no name or given gender or features. Though I’m now scared of trees.
Emma Bosworth
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a horror book in a while and I was very impressed with this book. It was such an easy read that once I started I really didn't want to put down.
Charlotte Burns
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, that's me never sleeping again!

Full review to follow.
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

DNF at 58%

Ten Second Synopsis:
A surly teen is forced to move to the far north of Scandinavia on the whim of parents who want to take up tree farming. From the moment they arrive, strange occurrences start happening, but the father refuses to leave despite obvious impending doom.

I had high hopes for this one, given that it featured creepy trees - a collective character that, it must be admit
Kirsty
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, horror, winter-reads
This was fine. Not terrible, not great. A quick read with some creepy scenes. Overall, just... fine.
George (BuriedInBooks)
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Fir is my first YA and signed book. I was fortunate enough to meet the Author Sharron Gosling at the Bath kids lit fest with my girlfriend.

Fir is interesting because the main protagonist is not identified as ether a man or a woman, no age is given and also no name. You are left to decide who you want the protagonist to be.

Fir is a horror book set in Sweden, the Stormberg family move into a plantation house in the middle of a forest. Not all is as it seems though, the forest is closing in on
Leanne Wain
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed at http://mythoughtsaboutbooks.blogspot....

This book is a brilliant, YA combination of Stephen King's The Shining meets the terrifying, snowy, forest-gonna-get-you atmosphere of Until Dawn meets the houses have memories and will show you what they know of James Herbert's The Secret of Crickley Hall. But in Sweden, with a frosty side of conservation and Northern mythology thrown in too.

Firstly, the narrator of this book is just right up my street. Surly, un-affectionate, sarcastic- hello Swedish
Georgia
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a blast reading this and I can’t quite believe how fast I whizzed through it!
Fir is a suspense-filled book about a family who move to an isolated area in Sweden, where rather bizarre things start happening...

Honestly, I was hooked from the start. Without giving anything away, there’s a ~ supernatural ~ theme running throughout that keeps you wondering if it’s really happening or just the result of being alone.
There’s also the mystery of the child who tells the story. Initially I was un
Philip S Davies
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story had much potential, but I struggled with two disappointments in the way it was told.
First, the positives. It had a well-described and atmospheric setting in the old forest taiga of northern Sweden, and I always love stories that include a folklore/mythological element to them. I'm not much of a horror fan, but didn't mind the creepy aspects of this tale.
Now, the disappointments. I understand why the author might want to present the main character and narrator as a "blank s
Aoife
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stripes, 2019, a2, red-eye, a5
Why do the Red Eye books insist on making me afraid of everyday things? Dolls in Frozen Charlotte and Charlotte Says, exams in Sleepless and now snow! Between this and Whiteout I'll be lucky if I get any sleep in the snow storms predicted for the end of this month. At least my house is not built on ancient forest ground. I hope.

(view spoiler)

I'm definitely on b
Demi
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spottyblanket
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
It is not perfect but had enough of a mystery to keep me plodding along. I could see this as a small budget horror. It almost feels like it could be set earlier in time. The ending was a bit abrupt and I feel this novel could do with a follow up. The writing is nothing noteworthy. A lot of the descriptions feel overly simplified but in some ways it will be good for struggling readers who want a larger book. The main character is a blank slate who you can easily project onto, deciding their age a ...more
Natasha ?
So utterly disappointed in this novel! It had such great reviews and had such potential but just didn't quite get there. The writing was less than great, actually making me have to put the novel down several times just to have a break, and the characters were all so horrible *shudder*.

The daughter was so insanely selfish and so unlikable that I almost didn't pick the book back up several times. Everything that she said or thought was just so eye-roll worthy. And the father? Don't get
Heather Lawson
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here: https://heatherreviews.com/2017/02/23...

I always love a story with a sinister twist, a little darkness to keep you on your toes. The Red Eye series has, so far, always given me a good fright or thrill when reading and I was excited to read the newest book in this series.

The Stromberg family move from the city of Stockholm, Sweden to a northern plantation where they aim to work the forest. But when winter comes sooner than expected, they find themselves cut off from civilisation with just th
James McInerney
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Considering the intensity and how fast paced the book was I felt that the ending was a massive anti climax and after reading over 340 pages, it was a let down. Definitely a page turner and a worthy 3 star, I just wished the ending had been more dramatic and shocking instead of hurried.
I really recommend this book but the ending could have been so much more, like so much more than what it was. The story was a constant struggle for all the characters but I felt that was not reflected in the final
Tony
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Red Eye continue to be the only publishing group seriously dedicated to horror and Sharon Gosling’s “Fir” is another decent addition to their expanding catalogue. A teenage girl is disgruntled to be uprooted from Stockholm to remote northern Sweden – especially when never ending fierce storms cut the family off from civilisation. Hints of classic horror, full of creepy children, a housekeeper who the family ‘inherit’ when they move it, coupled with atmospheric snow scenes make this new take on t ...more
Andy Thorn
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have bought and read this book as it is one of the finalists of the Hampshire Book Awards 2018. A strong, atmospheric, very creepy YA horror. The well-researched and interesting setting allow the reader to view the events of the book through the lens of local folklore and remain unsure as to whether events are the actions of malevolent supernatural forces or the perceptions of a child slowly descending into isolation-caused madness. Whilst it may be a little scary and a touch on the graphic si ...more
Natasha Warren
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shinteea
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
HONEST REVIEW FROM 15 YEAR OLD READER
the whole book dragged, like, you want to read it because the plot is good, but it feels like homework, like u don't want to, but you've already started it, so might as well finish it...
and the ending is so INFURIATING, it ends so abruptly, and doesn't explain it.
i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, its a burden.

• Charlotte Says (Frozen Charlotte, #2)
  • Instructions for a Second-hand Heart
  • Your Turn to Die
  • Inkub
  • Gdzie śpiewają diabły
  • Oczy uroczne (Dożywocie, #3)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Frozen Charlotte (Frozen Charlotte, #1)
  • Kółko się pani urwało (Zofia Wilkońska, #1)
  • Cymanowski Młyn
  • Between the Lies
  • A Dangerous Crossing
  • Strach
  • The Island at the End of Everything
  • S.T.A.G.S
  • Trhlina
  • Taśmy rodzinne
Sharon Gosling began her career in entertainment journalism, writing for magazines in the science fiction and fantasy genre, before moving on to write tie-in books for TV shows such as "Stargate" and the 'reimagined' "Battlestar Galactica."

Red Eye (10 books)
  • Frozen Charlotte (Frozen Charlotte, #1)
  • Sleepless (Red Eye)
  • Bad Bones (Red Eye)
  • Flesh and Blood (Red Eye)
  • Dark Room (Red Eye)
  • The Haunting
  • Charlotte Says (Frozen Charlotte, #2)
  • Savage Island (Red Eye)
  • Whiteout (RedEye)