Start by marking “Demystifying Public Speaking” as Want to Read:
Demystifying Public Speaking

Demystifying Public Speaking

(A Book Apart #21)

Don’t think public speaking is for you? It is—whether you’re bracing for a conference talk or a team meeting. Lara Hogan helps you identify your fears and face them, so you can make your way to the stage (big or small). Get clear, practical advice through every step, from choosing a topic and creating a presentation, to gathering and distilling feedback, to event-day prep. ...more
Published October 25th 2016 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about Demystifying Public Speaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demystifying Public Speaking

Start your review of Demystifying Public Speaking
Edaena
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Straight to the point, actionable advice on public speaking.
Public speaking is not only about getting on stage and giving a talk, it's also about speaking at a team meeting. It is an important skill to present ideas to your team and convince them about a technical solution.

Lara is great at explaining the importance of public speaking and gives you ideas that you can start using right now to improve in public speaking.

I recommend it to anyone in the tech field, that feels nervous
Mindaugas Mozūras
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Being onstage is an incredibly vulnerable act.

It is. Luckily, this book gives guidance on how to prepare, give a talk and survive. As I've read other books about public speaking before, not much of it was new to me. It mostly served as a useful reminder, with the section of CFPs being the most exciting and unique to me. Others books didn't delve into actually getting the talk accepted, only in preparing and giving it.
Tyrone Mitchell
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I needed some good advice on things I need to give consideration to when I give my presentation. This was perfect.
Camille
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What's that old slogan? Looks like a snack, eats like a meal. Something like that. Anyhow, Lara's short but thorough book could definitely be described in those terms.

I bought this book because I like and admire Lara and wanted to show my support. I also bought it because I am embarking on my own speaking "career" and am gobbling up all the guidance on speaking that I can get my hands on. In the last few months I've gathered valuable wisdom from Scott Berkun, Kathy Sierra, Catt Small, Erica Joy
Boyan
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in public speaking, especially if you are in the tech industry, this is the book for you. It’s relatively short and to the point, but in the same time covers the whole process from conception of an idea, trough research and preparation, practice, delivery and even collecting and analyzing feedback.
There are a ton of examples from her experience and also a lot of links to articles that expand on certain topics.
Bjoern Rochel
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, eng-mgmt
The perfect practical companion to Gar Reynolds Presentation Zen and Nancy Duartes Resonate.
Very handy and easy to follow advice.

Since I've already read a lot about public presentations (crafting slides, story-building, body language, etc), I didn't get big new insights from this one. NEVERTHELESS, all the smaller tips and habits made it definitely worth the read.
Miguel David
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tim
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This books offers clear and concise guidance for anyone looking to improve their abilities as a public speaker. Whether you're trying to just become more comfortable talking to a small group of people or you're looking to jump on the conference circuit, there is clear cut advice here for even the experienced speaker.
Agisilaos Tsaraboulidis
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lara with this book gives us a lot of info behind prepping for a talk, writing a proposal and so many other things related to before & after a talk. It was a east & calm read and she provided a lot of valuable info related to Public Speaking and how to overcome our fears about it. ...more
Maryann Bell
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helpful info about public speaking, especially at conferences. Beginner level which was right for me
Morgan
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
I *loved* this book. Lara handles the practicalities of public speaking beautifully. It made me feel so much more capable of giving a great talk and I'm excited to implement her suggestions.
Olivier Grange-Labat
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice short book on public speaking (at conferences, meetups, etc.) full of actionable advices and written in a kind, warm, non-judging tone.
Tyler Jefford
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good resource, very in depth tips based on Lara's experiences. If you are interested in public speaking, big or small groups, this is an incredible read.
Piotr Majkowski
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very practical, easy to read.
Stephanie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a super quick read, and is written in a way where all the advice feels obvious; it's just now clearly presented in a way that's actually digestable.

I used Lara's book to help me give better presentations at work, and after working on it for a year, I'm moving into speaking more in broader audiences with her help. I keep this book beside me while planning talks and making CFPs now. Thanks, Lara. :)
Rachel Leite
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really great and easy read that helped me understand I'm not alone in my fears of public speaking (which is probably the first step in overcoming them). She gave some really practical things to consider on feeling comfortable being yourself, sharing your ideas, and receiving feedback. Useful not only for public speaking, but also everyday life.
Marcus Österberg
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"What if I mess up? What if they don't like what I have to say? What if they disagree, or worse, what if the don't like me?"
The fears of public speaking are many and hard to overcome. This book is a fantastic guide for those who'd like to give it a try, no matter the size of the venue. The book's on point and not unnecessarily wordy. The key to it all seems to be ensuring you're prepared, and fortunately the book covers all aspects of it.
Even though I've already presented a couple of times, this
Adam
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Demystifying Public Speaking is a good walkthrough of giving a talk. It covers the whole process but isn't very opinionated on how to do X/Y.

It's not a mind-blowing book but it's not meant to be. It's a good insight into how the whole thing works, even pay negotiation for example.

I wish it had given some examples like real talk proposals, if they were accepted, and if not, why the speaker & author think it wasn't. There are a load of resources given at the end thought which look like they might
Lindsay Siovaila
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Practical and easy read with some great tips on breaking into the speaking scene, preparing your content, gathering feedback, and delivering an awesome talk. Definitely check this book out if you find yourself giving presentations, no matter the format or size. Laura's book has takeaways that can apply to many types of presentations!
Stringy
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Practical advice from an author and other speakers who have done a lot of public speaking. I particularly liked the tips on how to gather honest but useful feedback beyond "you're amazing!" from your friends or "this was terrible" from useless people.
Junko Bridston
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great resource if you want to talk at a conference.
Candi
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this quick read. Some great tips on how to ease my worries about public speaking whether it's a conference or just a team presentation.
Ben Ng
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short handbook packed with useful advice. I plan to refer to this book whenever I have to prepare for public speaking.
Camille

• The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • In Our Own Worlds #2: Four LGBTQ+ Tor.com Novellas
  • Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City
  • The Fractal Prince (Jean le Flambeur, #2)
  • The Country of the Blind: Mandarin Companion Graded Readers: Level 1, Simplified Chinese Edition
  • The Secret Garden (Mandarin Companion Graded Readers: Level 1, Simplified Chinese Edition)
  • The Effective Engineer: How to Leverage Your Efforts In Software Engineering to Make a Disproportionate and Meaningful Impact
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Life on the Ground Floor: Letters from the Edge of Emergency Medicine
  • Against the Web: A Cosmopolitan Answer to the New Right
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Give Them an Argument: Logic for the Left
  • Son of a Trickster (Trickster, #1)
  • Vrány

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers