Start by marking “Death on Delos (The Athenian Mysteries, #7)” as Want to Read:
Death on Delos (The Athenian Mysteries, #7)

Death on Delos

(The Athenian Mysteries #7)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Greece, 545 BC: It is illegal to die on the sacred isle of Delos. It s also illegal to give birth there. Yet when murder is committed, the only available detective to solve the crime is the priestess Diotima, and she is heavily pregnant.
Delos is the holy birthplace of the divine twins Apollo and Artemis, and it is an island in crisis. Not only has murder tainted the holy
Published July 11th 2017 by Soho Crime

To ask other readers questions about Death on Delos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on Delos

Angie Boyter
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
It is probably not prudent for a woman who is ten (yes, ten) months pregnant to visit Delos, the island dedicated to the worship of Artemis and Apollo, , because it is illegal to give birth or die there. But expectant mother Diotima is a priestess of Artemis, and this year the gods, as evidenced in the casting of lots, had chosen her to take Athens’ offerings to the sacred isle. Nervous father-to-be and narrator Nicolaos accompanies her to protect her and to fret. Behind them comes the Athenian ...more
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This entertaining book by the Australian author Gary Corby is the 7th volume in the exciting Athenian mystery series.
The historical details concerning this Classical Greek period are very well researched and explained by the author in his Author's Note and Glossary, which you can find at the end of the book.
At the beginning of the book you'll find an important list of Actors featuring in this tale, and not to forget a nice map of the Sacred Isle of Delos.
Storytelling is of a very good quality an
TammyJo Eckhart
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
As an ancient historian I love when I can enjoy historical fiction set in the periods and cultures I've studied and taught about. Such a book is rare because far too often the author of the book has a surface level understanding of the ancient people they are writing about. Gary Corby has some knowledge about Greek societies but it varies so widely in how well he used it that even now after finishing the book I am neither highly annoyed and disappointed or very pleased. It should be noted that t ...more
Jane Irish Nelson
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
Nico and Diotima arrive on Delos, the sacred birthplace of Apollo and Artemis, where no one is allowed to die or be born. Diotima has been chosen by the goddess to present this year's offering to Artemis, despite the fact that she is very far along in pregnancy. At the same time, Pericles arrives with the fleet to demand that the treasury of the Delian league be transferred to Athens for safety. Naturally the local priests resist, especially Geros, so when Nico discovers his dead body, recently ...more
Phair
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Book #7 in the series got into all the complications surrounding safeguarding the Delian League's treasury from an imminent Persian invasion made even more difficult by taking place on the sacred island where Diotima is to officiate in important rites at the temple of Artemis. A murder, of course, but also some interesting stuff about the sacred precinct and the cults of Apollo and Artemis, Greek financial systems, new high tech (locks and keys!) and the mythical Hyboreans. Important developmen ...more
Joel Mitchell
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicolaos (Socrates’ fictional older brother and slightly bumbling agent / investigator / fixer for Pericles) and his wife Diotima (historically, one of Socrates’ teachers) are back for another case. I love how the author always centers the action around a major historical event in Athenian history. This time it’s the seizure of the Delian League’s treasury by the Athenians…for safekeeping, of course!

The murder mystery is well-constructed as usual with plenty of red herrings and a convoluted but
Argum
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Diotima is pregnant and shes been selected by the goddess to present Athens gift to the temple at Delos. And by pregnant I mean ready to deliver any time now, so perfect time to go to an island where birth and dying are forbidden. Oh and just to be more exciting Pericles is there to move the treasury of the Delian League to Athens as a protective measure albeit unilateral. The High Priest is not convinced, but the second ranking priest puts up a huge fuss and there is nearly a riot. Nico is sent ...more
Viva
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an ancient Greek history and my first Nico/Diotima book. What I liked most about the book was the setting and the history. I didn't know much about Delos before and I read up a little on it after. I thought the characters were somewhat flat and the level of writing was low. This book was fairly entertaining but not engrossing. The mystery part was slow and unexciting. Towards the end I didn't really care whodunit because there was not much of a build up or suspense. In fact, I felt the a ...more
Anna Bergmark
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The murder mystery itself isn't all that engaging (it's quite stagnant really) and the Hyperborean bit utterly pointless, but all in all this is great fun all the same.

There's humour galore, the main characters are very likable and the description of Delos itself, the holy island where both dying and giving birth is banned, is top notch. Even though the narrative voice is contemporary and all the participants are portrayed as "modern" men and women, you do get a good picture of how special this
Harsha
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
It’s good, light reading. A spin on Greek historical characters and crime fiction. It kept me interested and hooked even though it was predictable. My first book in the series, with a few chuckles along the way, I like how the story is weaved into historical events.
Loved the ending note to the readers, the effort put into keeping the facts aligned with the story’s timeline. Picked up the book because I thought it was Greek Mythology, stayed for the history. Can’t wait to read the rest of the se
Mae
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Cosy Mystery with a Historical Setting. It was nice, and...cosy, the Greek islands, very much B.C. did not come across so sun drenched, and some modern day terms I couldn't imagine used B.C. were included but I really liked it anyway. Also, wife/priestess and husband/political envoy type sleuth team, are a nice touch and in #7, in the series, she's in an advanced state of pregnancy, yet another nice touch!
Judith
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another funny, well-plotted mystery with two attractive characters, Niko and Diotima. Corby is able to weave accurate information about Greek culture, Delos, historical events, religious customs and beliefs to create an intriguing suspenseful narrative. I did not guess the perpetrator of the crime, but thought the punishment appropriate. To say more would give spoilers. But if you are looking for a light-hearted amusing mystery, try this one
Gail
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC from Soho Press at BEA. This is a very engaging series with appealing characters and an interesting setting, taking place in Ancient Greece. I was reminded of Lyndsay Davis' Marcus Didius Falco series, which I loved. In this one, Diotima, the priestess married to Nico the investigator, is really the one in power in this couple. The mystery kept me guessing and had enough twists and turns to power the plot along. I'll be reading the previous books in the series.
Dee Halzack
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
One of my favorite genres: murder mystery set in a historical time, solved using tools available at the time (which would mostly be deduction and hunches). This was set in ancient Greece and had a few real historical characters to add to the atmosphere.

Easy to read, interesting twists (including one a modern mystery would never have had). Good escape.
Cathy Cole
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series even though I've never been a fan of ancient Greece. (Merely an admirer from afar.) Gary Corby has the knack of combining history, humor, and untimely death in a way that's so entertaining readers may never realize that they're learning something. When a man like Corby reads that no one was allowed to die or give birth on Delos, there's only one thing he can do: tell a story in which both may-- or may not-- happen.

Since the plot of Death on Delos involves banks and boatloads o
Ian
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read on a bus from China to Laos. Another interesting adventure in death, mayhem, and corruption, however, what I found most interesting was the political backstory. The treasury of the Delian League being transferred from the island of Delos to Athens. A story with many permutations. I enjoyed the humour of the story, birth, death, and the o-so corrupt priest. A fun read. Recommended.
Billie
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa
Seventh adventure for Nico and Ditoma

Sent to an island of priests and priestesses. It is illegal to give birth or die on this sacred isle. Of course our favorite investigators manage to be tangled in the breaking of both prohibitions. Gary Corby is a terrific writer. He weaves historical fact with with a believable and intriguing story.
Scotty
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A fairly mediocre entry in this series of historical mysteries. Actually by far my favorite part of the book was the author’s note at the end where he writes about all of the historical reality that the book is based on. The whodunnit in this one is fairly straightforward. It’s not bad but not nearly as good as some earlier entries in the series (like Sacred Games).
Sylvia Dugan
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all the background information about the importance of the island of Delos in Greek history. The mystery that Diotima and Nicalaos become involved in is interesting and unravels as we learn about the birth of the twins Artemis and Apollo on the island and wait for the birth of Diotima's baby which musn't happen while they were on the island.
Susan Bartl
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The historical notes at the end of these books worth reading just as much as the novels. If you enjoy historical mysteries I definitely recommend this series. Nico squirms his way out of being the major suspect in the murder of a priest on the island of Delos.
Denise
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First one in the series I've read. Entertaining and makes me want to read the rest
Amanda
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one a lot more than the previous one. The endnote made it sound like this could be the last in the series - I hope not!
Megan
Another fun mystery from Corby. I probably enjoyed the parts about Delos and the culture of the island than I did the mystery, but it was all fine.
Selle
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another great read. Full review at: https://bookstvblogger.tumblr.com/pos...
Melisende d'Outremer
Again, a little out of my comfort zone with crime fiction set in Ancient Greece - and although this was my first read in this series (I began at book 7), I found it quite easy to follow the characters of Diotima and Nicholas. A few of the "real" characters were familiar to me through my cursory high school education in the Classical Era and the author does a great job in filling in the details.

So to the story itself - murder, of course, on a sacred island in the Aegean 545BC. Our detective duo a
Leslie
Sep 25, 2018
sfw
Dec 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I'm the author of the Athenian Mysteries.

Nicolaos, the ambitious son of a minor sculptor, walks the mean streets of Classical Athens as an agent for the promising young politician Pericles.

Murder and mayhem don't faze Nico; what's really on his mind is how to get closer (much closer) to Diotima, the intelligent and annoyingly virgin priestess of Artemis, and how to shake off his irritating 12 yea

The Athenian Mysteries (7 books)
  • The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1)
  • The Ionia Sanction (The Athenian Mysteries, #2)
  • Sacred Games (The Athenian Mysteries, #3)
  • The Marathon Conspiracy (The Athenian Mysteries, #4)
  • Death Ex Machina (The Athenian Mysteries, #5)
  • The Singer from Memphis (The Athenian Mysteries #6)