Start by marking “Brave New World” as Want to Read:
Brave New World

Brave New World

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
It is the year After Ford 632 in the New World. People are born and live by scientific methods. There is worldwide happiness and order. Then John comes from the Savage Reservation to the New World and with him he brings strong emotions -love, hate, anger, fear. Suddenly, danger threatens the New World.

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is one of the great works of science fic
Paperback, Penguin Readers, 120 pages
Published November 1st 1999 by Pearson Educational in association with Penguin

Crocro
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. The description of the New World, which is supposed to intrigue us and blow our minds is very superficial, in the way that it just points out obvious differences to the world we know. ‘’ Oh look, a woman is supposed to sleep with loads of men to be socially accepted ! That isn’t the way we know it, huh ?’’

Aside from the storyline (which I found alright but not particularly captivating) there are some details/subjects that could have been treated with more depth. Religion for one,
Daniela
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: Summer Course
Good book, though this is a Abridged Version. I don't know yet what it misses, but it's good anyway.

The book is about a prozac society in the future where people are bred by a version of cloning and are conditioned from birth by sleep learning to be the perfect cog in society that they need to be.
The lowest workers are Epsilons, and they love to be Epsilons and all that it includes, the leaders and thinkers are Alphas, and they thing they are the best, the Betas, one step below love being Betas,
Namiko
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very shocking ending. I cannot decided which world is happier, the civilized one or the uncivilized one: The civilized one is a world in which people are young and beautiful with nice dress, enjoying having sex and drug without being alone, but they are controlled by the government; The uncivilized one a world in which people have skills to live and have great nature but they could be very violent. I think it could be very dangerous to have devotion too much.

information:
Aldous Huxley 1894-1963
B
Sabrina
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ich habe das Buch vor einigen Jahren schon mal gelesen, damals aber noch nicht wirklich verstanden. Als ich es nun wieder gelesen habe war ich schon ein bisschen erschrocken darüber, wie sich die Menschheit entwickeln könnte, denn gar so utopisch finde ich es gar nicht. Ich finde es sehr gut geeignet um sich mal wieder auf die wichtigen Dinge im Leben zu besinnen.
CRI
Feb 23, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c1
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is one of the great works of science fiction. It is the year After Ford 632 in the New World. People are born and live by scientific methods. There is worldwide happiness and order. Then John comes from the Savage Reservation to the New World and with him he brings strong emotions - love, hate, anger, fear. Suddenly, danger threatens the New World.
Mi VaHu
This book brings me a couple of thoughts: adapt or die, or when in Rome do as Romans do. Its really hard to go againts the flow when youre alone. Its a fact that if you have radical ideas and become a rebel, there will only be bad consequences for you. :( ...more
Heather
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG. Probably one of the best books I have ever read.
Nicole
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ciencia-ficción
The end dissapointed me but it's an excellent book!
Chiara
Aug 03, 2011
Charline Vanlaethem
Elodie
rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2017
Cindy
J Kevin  Whear
Aug 18, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“Lenina was shocked by his blasphemy. 'Bernard!' she protested in a voice of amazed distress. 'How can you?'
In a different key, 'How can I?' he repeated meditatively. 'No, the real problem is: How is it that I can't, or rather - because, after all, I know quite well why I can't - what it be like if I could, if I were free - not enslaved by my conditioning.”
0 likes