Start by marking “Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy” as Want to Read:
Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy

Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy

A poetry chapbook from The Junk Talk Poet that levitates above modern society with a keen and observational eye. The poems extract the dark and the light from the images in which it creates giving in exchange verse of a unique and experimental nature. Based around the belief that all who enter this earth, adopting human form, do so upon paper boats facing the tumultuous wa ...more
Published October 18th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy

Start your review of Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy
Olivia
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy is a short collection of poems about the subtle and usually unknown horrors of today’s society. It is a short read, really. But the poems and what they imply will stick to you for a while and push you to actually see things from a different angle. The collection of poems does not actually contain the horror genre per se, but it is when I see the situation from the poet’s point of view that I can see the hidden terror.

In certain poems, it is obvious what factories and
Stuart Aken
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m cautious about reviewing poetry: it’s an esoteric art form with some echoes of the world of the contemporary arts. In other words, a field full of the pretentious attempting to bamboozle the unwary, and too often succeeding. It differs from the world of visual art in the amount of cash thrown at it, of course, as well as in the larger proportion of real artists as opposed to con artists.

The poet of this slim volume (poetry is singularly fitted for the slim volume, since its density requires
Jade
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I find it hard to review poetry. The first I ever reviewed was Rupi Kaur, but to me that flowed easily as the poems were about women and the pain of women.

This is something different and out of my field of depth.

There's a certain level of emotion the writer has when forming their poetry, to an extent that it is personal to them. It's a level that the reader can not fully denote, only assume. Being a writer myself, and putting myself in the voyeur seat, was hard.

Personally, I struggled to under
Roberta Franklin
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really remarkable collection of poems that all revolve around modern life, society and people; short pieces with powerful imagery and a masterly use of words make us realise what is going on around us, what is wrong with this world – and what is wrong with us.
Sometimes it’s monsters and phantoms haunting us, but mostly it’s the very real and ugly face of modern society; and the author has got something to say about every single aspect of it: pollution, wars, social injustice, the lack of educa
Ruth Gibson
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always struggle with new and engaging poems for my higher level students to get their teeth into. I find that although the classics are beautifully crafted, they are not relevant to young people today. I gave my students a selection of poems from Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy - particularly focusing on The Offender. They loved the dark themes, commenting on how fantastical some of the ideas were, others went further exploring the presentation of the working class. If anyone has ever been challe ...more
Maria
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant collection from such a talented guy. Impossible to pick just one favourite as the collection works so well together. You can feel the realism in the words in a way that says everything and more in just a few lines. Amongst my faves “Gaps in the Trees”, it’s the description of a perfect painting. Definitely one of the best, you read it and you see it. The Junk Talk Poet has such a talent for highlighting the beauty in the little things and describing natural scenes in a way that makes ...more
Hayley Jarman
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whilst I don't consider myself adequately qualified to 'rate' Junk Talk Poet's poetry collection, I am inclined to respond having reading them. Initially apprehensive due to my distinct lack of experience of reading poetry, I was pleased that my trepidation quickly vanished. Immersed into a dark, but honest reflection of contemporary society, Junk Talk Poet provides a critique of the daily injustices humanity faces. My particular favourite is "The Meeting", captivating the greed of our capitalis ...more
Saul
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Navigating Nightmares Ecstasy is a chapbook that may require for you to think outside your usual box. Although the poet and I live in different societies, the imagery and the narratives challenge me to think if the same things happen to my own. There are also pieces that are introspective, forcing me to ask myself if I have decayed the same way.

You may not be able to relate to all the pieces but as a writer, seeing a new perspective, sometimes a bit obscure adds to the appeal of the chapbook.

I
Anne Amison
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These poems look at life from the perspective of 21st century urban young people. As one would expect, they are often bleak, but there are also flashes of dark humour. The Junk Talk Poet plays with words and ideas in an interesting way. I look forward very much to seeing where his work goes from here. Recommended.
Denise
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly inspirational and creative book of poetry penned by The Junk Talk Poet. portrays current social issues and real life experiences as seen through the eyes of our young generation. a must to read what a talent.....
Shan Bae
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thenyghtlieread
I enjoyed reading this book about the views on the world as far as what's going on in everyday life and in politics. It is very different from what I am use to reading but because of this I like it and what the words had to offer me. ...more
Isabelle Clews
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic collection of poetry. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Bethany Ellen
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly inspired book of poetry that is a pleasure to read!
Jesse Chambers
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Calibna J. Kerr is a fine young poet who is clearly not afraid to dwell in those dark, uncomfortable places in our minds and souls where fear and sadness and even madness reside. He has a voice that absolutely deserves to be heard, and he will only continue to get better.

I would absolutely recommend that you read “Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy.” There are about 35 poems in the book and they will keep you busy for a while if you give them the attention they deserve.

I like a lot of the poems in th
Tonymess
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A chapbook covering ageing, social justice issues, time...this is a dark collection, playing on the fringes, in the shadows attempting to convert “a generation that doesn’t understand poetry”. I wish him well with his ventures: Here’s a few lines from “The Meeting”

As he searches his usual beat,
For a friendly donation to buy cotton for his back,
Glass for his eyes and leather for his feet.

But the little boy refused him of a meal
And frightened set into the night.
Explaining his copper must be put to
Jax
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This lyrical journey is a timely work with no fear of commenting on the darkness of the current human condition and state of social decay. Intermingled inside the nightmare are pieces that rest in beauty and touch upon the ecstasy that is inside all of this madness - their touch rendered more powerful and full of light because of the surrounding heavy imagery, reminding us of the light to be found in the dark.

Chelsea DeVries
Apr 13, 2021 rated it did not like it
I am an avid poetry reader and writer and this did not do anything for me. Sorry i guess some poetry is more complex and sometimes too complex for me. Reminded me of a poet i didn't like in college that everyone thought was good. ...more
Sudie Whalen
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The lyrically written poems fantastically articulate modern life's timeless struggles. These writings vary from euphemistic, subtle undertones of social consciousness to blatant honesty and unavoidable wisdom. Simply put, I loved it. ...more
Jenny Gibbons
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dark and gritty, paeans to the pain and hope in life. I grew up in a blue-collar town, a mill town. Then the mill died and the jobs left -- but the people remained. If my hometown could sing, these poems are the songs it would croon.
Christina
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

This chapbook Is about small towns and small minds, a poetry book about men and women who could be your neighbours, friends, lovers. Junk Talk Poet likes to write about humanity, politics, the cruelty of the world. He also describes his own demons and how he feels in this new world. His poetry observes farms, slaughterhouses, the chemicals, the air we breathe, the taxes we pay, the homeless we neglect; JTP is a true poet observing his surroundings and writing about the everyday business of manki
Luci Lane
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a writer and poet, I sometimes find it difficult to review works by others; I know the intimacy and importance of their words; Offering them to the world can feel like we are offering our beloved children to the hungry packs; The opinions and interpretations of the reader can be frightening as well as rewarding. Nothing makes you feel as sunken as when your words fall flat and are not embraced or understood, and nothing feels better than to have your words understood and praised.

That is why I
P.J. Reed
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading collections of poetry. They are all unique reflections of the world of the poet. This chapbook offers a fascinating collection of concise, contemporary poetry containing dramatic images of twenty-first-century living with its violence, beauty, broken love affairs, pollution, and inequality. These topics are all described with a sensitivity and fragility of language which turns each poem into a snapshot of someone's life, which jumps out at you as you turn each page. I particularly ...more
Ally Wharton
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Navigating Nightmare Ecstacy" is but a short chapbook of short poems, but in content, is so much more. This book offers a unique insight into the 21st century, and revolves around current issues we deal with on a daily basis. Each poem packs a punch, as they are both relatable and distant at the same time. The Junk Talk Poet writes in such a way that is elegant and experimental at the same time, and is almost Poe-like in tone. This brilliant little book is able to get across a variety of ideas ...more
Hailey
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing! I automatically fell in love with every poem that I read and fell even more in love with it as it went on. Definitely recommend this book to everyone everywhere!!!
Mkuu Amani
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This intelligent and clearly gifted young poet writes with immense talent and ability.
Chantelle Miller
very interesting, good use of words.
Alban Woods
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
TomTom Powell
Nov 12, 2016
Cai Jones
Sep 15, 2016
Nataly Danelia
May 10, 2017
Free PDF Copy 1 1 Feb 04, 2016 03:18AM
Alban Woods formerly know as Calibna in his earlier works, is a published fictional author, poet, and has published essays on academic criticism and varied non-fictional content.

The poet approaches controversial social questions with a refreshing and stimulating outlook on the world, blending light and darkness with unpredictable bouncy alliterative rhythms.

In his inspiration to push the boundar

News & Interviews