Start by marking “A Tale of a Rough Diamond” as Want to Read:

A Tale of a Rough Diamond

Not all that glitters is diamond; sometimes it is only glass. But even its sharp edges will never hurt you like family. Stephan is living a life every teenager would envy. Son of a wealthy businessman, he lives carefree and carelessly. However, nothing is as it seems, and his perfect life is doomed; it has been since before he was even born. Days thrill-seeking, nights loc ...more
Published October 18th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of a Rough Diamond, please sign up.
P.J. Mann Just like for the first love, I have special feelings towards this book, which was the one I published first. This was my debut as an author, and as…moreJust like for the first love, I have special feelings towards this book, which was the one I published first. This was my debut as an author, and as such, it went through a lot of tweaks.
Like with the other books I wrote, there is a lot of me and my experiences. I loved writing the story of Stephan and the conflictual relationship with his family, particularly with his brother. I cried together with my characters, I laughed with them, and I felt a bit sad when I wrote the words 'The End.'
It felt like saying goodbye to those guys I loved so much. But on the other hand, they didn't leave and still are there every time I open the book.
So to the question, is it a good book? Well, I loved writing it, and I would like you to tell me your opinion.(less)

J.B. Richards
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Cain and Abel, there is no brotherly love lost between Roger and Stephan Mills, and the total collapse of their family seems inevitable as the scheming and plotting runs rampant in Author P. J. Mann’s mystery-thriller, crime, and suspense novel, “A Tale of a Rough Diamond”. While one brother seeks wealth and power through the benevolence of an infamous crime boss—and constantly inserts himself in his younger brother’s life, the other simply strives to survive on his own—in and out of prison ...more
Carmen Blalock
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a thing called free will and we all have it.  It is designed to give you the option to make decisions whether good or bad without someone else telling you what to do and how to do it.  If you decide to do opposite of everyone else does that make you a bad person or just unique?  How do you know when you should make a change and is it necessarily going to better you?

Stephan Mills is your typical teenaged boy.  He likes hanging out with his friends.  What Stephan considers fri
Alan Vandervoort
by P.J. Mann

In the making of a diamond, in geology terms - a rough stone under extreme pressure to eventually produce a valuable gem. The making of a diamond and the book, A Tale of a Rough Diamond, by PJ Mann, have parallels that cannot be ignored.

The rough stone in the metaphor is unconventional prose. If unprepared for this particular style, please forge ahead. Remember the results of gem production.

The extreme pressure on the
Kenn Anderson
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A very well written book.

When Stephen is arrested for breaking into an apartment, his brother convinces their father to leave him in jail to teach him a lesson. The deceit that envelopes Stephen as his life spins out of control is very well orchestrated. His family members cast him out while he builds a new family in prison.

The story of how Stephen copes and develops as a person is interesting. The development of his brother is fairly exciting. I recommend this book.
Lesley Lee
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot of this book was great! I really love the character development with Stephen from the start to the finish. I would love to read more from this author!
Tamara Bradley
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I want to emphasize how talented P.J. Mann revealed the main characters of the book and how skillfully he revealed their characters through conflict and the development of their personalities.
I read A Tale of a Rough Diamond by P.J. Mann very quickly because I could not tear myself away from this book. I was completely captured by the dynamics of the story. But, apart from the remarkable plot and perfectly thought-out heroes, this book also provides an opportunity to reflect
JG
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Tale of a Rough Diamond is a story about Stephan Mills, the trouble maker of a wealthy family. His older brother Roger is so jealous of the attention and affection Stephan receives from their father, that he plots and succeeds at ruining Stephan's life and turning his father against him.
There were some scene transitions that felt like they came to early, parts of the story line in Roger's point of view where there's a lot of repeated dialogue, but the story was intriguing and a page turner. T
Mar
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Tale of a Rough Diamond by P. J. Mann is a suspense novel which plot grows around revenge, crime, mafia, loyalty and rough love.

Stephen, our main character, is the unifying thread of the story. A kid led by events escaping from his will, drowning him in a maze of guilt, punishment and lies. Born under the wings of a wealthy family, he constantly finds himself in trouble until his life gets cut off by the law, or that's what he thought....

He lacks the love of a caring mo
Terrill
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For me this book had so much potential. The plot was intriguing and I really liked the premise. It was interesting with enough twists and extra details to keep me reading.

The editing was terrible and at times the wrong name is used or two people are on the phone and the author has one look at the other. The lack of editing made it difficult for me to keep reading.

The "self-love" masturbation scenes seemed weird and unnecessary. Not because people dont masturbate but because it was written real
Vigilant Reader
Title – A Tale of a Rough Diamond
Author – Paula Mann
Genre – Mystery, Suspense, Thriller
400 Amazon Pages
Rating 3 stars out of 5 Posted 4/5/2017
17 - 2017

My Impressions: weird, coming of age, each character except two are worse than the last one.

Main Characters.
Stephan Mills – age 18, immature social misfit, burglar,
Jonathan Mills – step-father.
Julia Mills – mother.
Roger Mills – step-brother, favorite son, kooky, vicious, whi
Monisha Menon
The tale of a rough diamond reminds me of so many short stories I read when I was a child. Let me start from the beginning, its a very easy read and the main premise and characters are introduced very early and very well. The story revolves around a family grappling with moral issues unlike any other. A mother who has two children, one born under normal circumstances and one from a rape. The first son (born normally) seems to have a deep seeded hatred for his brother. The father is tasked with h ...more
Good Reader
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you step over the first chapter's threshold you are introduced to a young man stealthily making his way through the darkness of someone's home. As we cat-step next to him we learn that this is not the first time he has done this. We learn that these nocturnal excursions into the homes of slumbering citizens is an obsession for him. But why and how did this young man turn out this way? The back-story is slowly unfurled amidst the ensuing events. We find out that he is from a dysfunctional fami ...more
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a heart-breaking start. Of a brotherly rivalry that turns cold. You are taken into the story and a robbery then the overwhelming feeling of hate for the smarmy Roger. Made me think of revenge before the 6th chapter.
Throughout the story it cements the idea that this family want Stephen to disappear. Not because of what he has done now. The jealously of Roger, the confliction of his mother, and the trying of his father.
Stephen is thrown into a situation in jail and now needs to find himself
Nikkie
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I’m sorry, Dad. But this time, it was not my fault. Honest”.

Meet Stephan Mills, troublemaker from a wealthy family and on the surface, the definite black sheep of the family, with an “it wasn’t my fault” motto.

Roger Mills is Stephan’s older perfect brother, and the siblings are nothing alike. A family with huge rivalry, Roger wants to destroy Stephan in their Father’s eyes.

“For, from that day on, he had to learn that the person he yearned to call Mom was not
Mel
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Took me a while to get into; it took me over 2 weeks to read the first 60 pages which I found quite outputting. The plot and done felt quite dry, as it was written in a style that would possibly more suit non-fiction or prose. I thought the writing style was very mature, which isn't a bad thing but didn't necessarily suit this plot. I found the dialogue stilted and a lot more formal than the description which didn't fit with the
Cyrene Olson
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nicely done suspense, that keeps you guessing. For me, this book started a tad too slow and didn’t really catch me very quickly, but don’t be put off by that – it does become much more intriguing and engaging. As a teenager, Stephan has a good life, but he’s always pushing the boundaries. Finally, he ends up in prison, and his father refuses to bail him out this time, mainly because his brother convinces his father that Stephan needs to learn his lessons. Heartbreaking for both Stephan and his ...more
Sandra C
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unusual, intriguing story that makes you think about your own life and the world in which we all live. I was immediately intrigued by the title of this novel and I was not disappointed with the content. P. J. Mann certainly has a great writer's talent, he skillfully builds the plot, the characters are revealed through interaction with each other and through their own actions. A Tale of a Rough Diamond by P. J. Mann is a very subtle psychological thriller that will appeal to quite demanding re ...more
Elisabetta Emilia
Page-turner, breath-taking book! I loved it! Nature and feelings of characters well described, not everything and everyone is how it seems or how you imagine to be or will be...
Suspence from the first until the last page!!!!
P.J. Mann
Dec 17, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
-Our Review- BookViral (http://www.bookviral.com/a-tale-of-a-...)

It is always uplifting to review something a little different and with its intriguing title, A Tale of a Rough Diamond certainly fits the bill. There's a lot to be said for a novel that's able to generate considerable suspense and a sense of dread and on this level Mann's narrative creates the right balance of tension and intrigue to hook readers from the very start. Wit
Sadie Lasley