Start by marking “The Lewis and Clark Expedition” as Want to Read:
The Lewis and Clark Expedition

The Lewis and Clark Expedition

A Landmark History book. A highly readable account of the quintessentially American adventure of discovery and hardship as Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led their men on an exploration of the interior parts of North America.
Published December 1st 2006 by Avyx (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Lewis and Clark Expedition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lewis and Clark Expedition

Luisa Knight
Did you know that Clark wanted to name a river after his childhood sweetheart? Romantic, right? Except that he got her name wrong! Uh oops! Haha! Learn other interesting facts and all the history associated with this expedition.

About Landmark Books
"Each is a book that brings to life a great event or personality in our nation's past. Each is designed to be rich, rewarding reading, capable of stirring the heart as well as the mind. Each is intended to arouse in the reader not only an interest in t
Katie
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an entire family favorite. Having read Stephen Ambrose's version of Lewis and Clark, Undaunted Courage, I secretly wondered how this book would compare to the detailed rich account of the expedition (not to mention there are so many books to choose from on this topic). Neuberger did a fantastic job of preserving the accuracy and details, but in a kid-appropriate version. I didn't feel like he left anything out. After reading this book, we watched the History Channel video. It was fun to ...more
Lydia Smith
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-kids
Read with Savannah. I don't remember ever hearing this much detail about Lewis & Clark's expedition. It was fascinating. Amazing what they were able to do traveling over the mountains not knowing anything about how far they had to go.
Robert Clay
Aug 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the first "real books" I read as a kid; I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, thought it was great.
Lynn
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book did a great job of telling the tale of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It was short, so a fairly quick read, and I enjoyed reading it.
Aaron
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron by: Mom
This is a fun little book. Being published in 1951 it is completely out of step with anything I read in school. The stories chosen are certainly not politically correct. When is the last time you heard an Indian referred to as a "Red Savage"? (Sorry to all you feminists)Sacajawea was not the title character in this version of the story. Another little untold detail was that, (according to this account) Sacajawea's husband was on the journey as well. I have never heard anything about him before. ...more
The other John
This is an account of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, written in 1951. I had mixed feelings about it. The storytelling is quite engaging, and Mr. Neuberger did a nice job of making the characters more real. However, he is also quite jingoistic, and I had to roll my eyes when he would praise this event or that discovery. I mean, I love my country and all that, but the first sighting of, say, the Columbia River by an American isn't really that big of a deal in the history of mankind. Anyway, if yo ...more
Yaaresse
I read a bunch of the books from this series as a kid. I remember enjoying them, but I was too young at the time to question the narrative or the quality of writing. I just like reading biographies and histories, and there were precious few of those for younger readers then that weren't boring. Would I read it to kids today? Nah. The whole "Great White Race has God-given right to take, kill, abuse, and exploit whatever and whoever in the name of making America Great" slant doesn't sit well. It n ...more
Kimberly Harris
5 stars for being very readable and understandable for kids.

However, I probably wouldn't recommend this book. It's written in the 1950s and the philosophy of the "mighty white men" is embarrassingly present. I changed some of the way things were worded as I read it out loud, and we also discussed in a child-friendly way the different perspectives of those involved (that is, the explorer's perspective and the Native American tribe's perspective).
Lorena
This was a fantastic account of the expedition. Having known virtually nothing myself, I found the book had plenty of details to keep my interest, but not so many that it bogged down the kids. We read a chapter a day, marking important routes/camps on a map. This is such a fun read for the kids and me. It was extremely well written -- not one chapter was boring!
Angela Squires
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book aloud to my 8- and 10-year-old kids, and we all loved it! Including fascinating details about the Lewis and Clark Expedition in a succinct story form appropriate for middle grade readers, this account made me want to read about the Expedition in more depth. Such an interesting chapter in America’s history!
Daniel Nelms
Read aloud to the kids. First book from the Landmark series I’ve read, and it is a fantastic history book for children. Hoping the remainder of the series are just as good. Never knew much about Lewis and Clark, and this is a great introduction to their adventure. Can’t recommend it more for kids! (And adults too who want a quick read)
Angela
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid primer for young or struggling readers, thought a bit "spongy" stylistically as well with a couple historical details. A 3.5 in my mind, but still a worthy introduction to what is really a rather complex historical crossroads.
Cassondra
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Tammy
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great!
M Zizzle
it was a pretty good book. very easy to read in a couple days
Lisa
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Excellent account for young people of the famous Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804.
Karen
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Erin
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I learned something new, which I always appreciate...
Stephanie
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though slightly difficult for my kids to read independently, they both really enjoyed this book. After the first chapter, I decided to read it to them. Great story of America's early explorers.
Jersc
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
It reads like a textbook at times, but overall a good summary of the great trail blazers.
Heather Neroy
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book to read instead of dry history books. Read in our third grade homeschool.
Melissa
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
A great retelling of the Lewis and Clark story. It was nice to hear about the other men in the expedition, and get some details I don't remember learning about in school.
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
So far, all of my children have been amazed and in the edge of their seats learning about this part of our history.
Jodi
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent account of Lewis and Clark. My boys enjoyed it. I would like to know how accurate it is.
Rebecca
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sonlight-core-d
An enjoyable elementary level tale of the Lewis and Clark Expedition to explore the Louisiana Purchase and find the Pacific Ocean. Lots of great details and tidbits.
Mckinley
For historical-fiction version see Streams to the River, River to the Sea by Scott O'Dell.
Joshua English

• Meet Thomas Jefferson
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Meet George Washington
  • North American Indians
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • Skippack School
  • The Wright Brothers
  • Pocahontas and the Strangers (Scholastic Biography)
  • Phoebe the Spy
  • Om-Kas-Toe Blackfoot Twin Captures Elkdog
  • The Story Of Thomas Alva Edison
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
  • George Washington Carver: Man's Slave Becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)
  • Walk The World's Rim
  • Peter the Great
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
Richard Lewis Neuberger was an American journalist, author, and politician who wrote for The New York Times and served in both the Oregon House of Representatives and the United States Senate.