Start by marking “37 Things One Architect Knows About IT Transformation” as Want to Read:
37 Things One Architect Knows About IT Transformation

37 Things One Architect Knows About IT Transformation

Published August 1st 2016 by leanpub

Be the first to ask a question about 37 Things One Architect Knows About IT Transformation

Mike Gunderloy
I read this & quite enjoyed it, in part because Hohpe is an engaging writer & he picks on big organizations a lot. But note the "About IT Transformation" in the title. Much of the material here is about how to get big old-economy companies to adopt more agile methods of work, and only tangentially about architecture – except inasmuch as he views the Chief Architect as a key agent of change.
Szymon Kulec
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What does it mean to be an architect? Drawing boring diagrams? Sending messages from the ivory tower? Or maybe flooding people with lengthy presentations containing 20 bullet points per slide?
In his book Gregor Hohpe shows a totally different point of view showing 37 things from different areas of an architect's work like Architecture or Organization.

The author uses a pattern-like approach. The book is filled with self-references and using chapter names as patterns. Although on
Tomáš
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the whole book I can only recommend it to every software developer. Architect gurus will probably write their own book ;) but this one contains a lot of wisdom and experience, so I'll have to give it at least one more chance! I've followed the continuous release of this book through the Leanpub program, so I've already read some chapters at least twice and it was worth it every time.
Giovani Facchini
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book brings, as the title says, 37 things about IT transformation. There are many interesting tips and discussion inside this book as "Software should eat the world", "don't send a human to do a machine's job" (repeatable tasks that should be automated) and the inefficiencies of black markets (created by process that hampers people's performance).

I had mixed feelings about the writing as the author did not focus on giving the details or specifics of some arguments and stories. F
Francois D’Agostini
If you are engaged with digital transformations on large groups, this book is a great source for nice insights.
Most of the tips resonate with me and while these concepts are not new, they are all laid out with the "large corporation" angle.
I found the book really easy to read and even fun sometimes, when analogies with movies like Matrix or starbuck queuing system are described.
In overall, I recommend its reading to anyone trying to change a large organization. Not sure it will
Sergey Shishkin
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've found this book really useful. Gregor shares a lot of his wisdom in a form of 37 chapters, covering technology, leadership, communication and change management.

I liked the chapters in transformations the most. As well as the models of layered/pyramid architectures and organizations, black markets in enterprises and economies of speed.
Tomy Jaya
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book contains a wealth of valuable lessons in a crisp delivery. I highly recommend this to senior developers and architects alike. The reason I didn’t give a 5-star rating is because I believe the book could have been presented better and more cohesively, rather than just a laundry list of what the author knows.
Ahmed Taha
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on digital transformation!
It has a wealth of knowledge and experience shared by Gregor Hohpe in his journey.
Enjoyed reading it very much
Jan Kanajlo
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book.
Sebastian Gebski
I usually rate a (technical) book with 5 stars when I have a strong feeling that I've learned stuff that has a potential to change something in my life, when I've learned something that has totally changed my perspective, made me feel stupid or just helped cross some border to achieve the next level (in skill, ability, etc.).

I don't think it's the case for this book, but still - 5 stars, here they come.
Not just because it's Greg Hohpe's book (you should remember him as a co-aut
Jamie
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the distillation about the impact an architect can have across an organization.

It talks about all of the things outside of hands on architecture that one can do to provide value. It was great and helped remind me of focusing on the right things and ignoring the others.

A must read for anyone in the architecture or solving business problems.

Very well done!
Aug 19, 2018
Ben
Dec 18, 2017
Bill de hÓra
rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2017