Start by marking “Moonshine, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Moonshine, Volume 1

Moonshine, Volume 1

(Moonshine #Vol. 1)

THE FIRST VOLUME OF THE NEW ON-GOING SERIES
From writer, BRIAN AZZARELLO and artist, EDUARDO RISSO -- the Eisner award-winning creative team behind the crime classic, 100 Bullets -- comes a brutal new series!
Set during Prohibition, and deep in the backwoods of Appalachia, MOONSHINE #1 tells the story of LOU PIRLO, a city-slick "torpedo" sent from New York City to negotiate
Published May 30th 2017 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Moonshine, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonshine, Volume 1

Start your review of Moonshine, Volume 1
Sam Quixote
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Prohibition-era America and the mob grows rich bootlegging illegal hooch for the thirsty populace. Up in the Appalachian Mountains, Hiram Holt brews the best damn shine in the States and Joe Masseira, mob boss of Noo Yawk, wants to sell it - but Holt aint interested. So Joe sends Lou Pirlo to convince him to do business with him its eye-talian gangsters vs yee-hawin hillbillies in Moonshine! Also, werewolves.

The 100 Bullets creative team of Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso reunite for their
Donovan

Damn fine noir, southern gothic, and supernatural horror, following mobsters and hillbillies in Prohibition-era Appalachia. And Azzarello strikes a great, uncanny balance between these elements.

Eduardo Rissos illustrations have a real masterful subtly to them, using bold silhouettes, white space, and lighting to incredible effect. It's like every other page could be a cover.
Artemy
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, image-comics
Moonshine is a new comic by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso, the creative team behind the classic Vertigo series 100 Bullets. And it's kind of a mess.

The main problem with this comic is that it lacks focus. Is it a story about mobsters during prohibition era? A rural gothic about moonshiners? A supernatural story about werewolves and witches? A noir about an alcoholic dude who suffers from memory loss? A commentary on racism? It tries to be all of those things, and it doesn't succeed in any of
RG
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dont really know what I just read. The story just didnt know what it wanted to be, gangster or supernatural or mystery. I think this part ( also plot) was just too disjointed. The characters also werent overly interesting and the art seemed to make them all look too similar. Hopefully Vol 2 can rescue this.
Steve
I received this from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Not sure what I just read. The first issue seemed to be about a liquor deal during prohibition between a New York gangster and a hillbilly moonshiner. After that, the story went off the rails, and was extremely hard to follow. The artwork didn't help either.

I don't think I'll continue this series.
Chad
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A New York gangster (Handsome Lou) is sent to make a deal with a hillbilly (Hiram) who makes the best moonshine. Hiram wants no part of it and keeps trying to scare Lou off. At least once an issue Lou wakes up from a blackout drunk and doesn't know what happened the night before. More than once he wakes up with bodies all around him that have been ripped apart. That's where the werewolf part of the story comes in.

Azzarello's characters are all lazy stereotyped mobsters and hillbillies. The story
Mitchell Kukulka
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Being from the city, one thing that hits you about the woods... it gets fucking dark."

Sonic
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Hell Yes!
Aron
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I tried pretty hard to get into this, but just couldn't. It had a couple good moments, but for me to like a series I have to like at least one character, I didn't really like anyone in this book.
Donna
Lot of plot lines and very few resolutions. Will try book two to see where this hillbilly noir gangster mashup goes.
Zedsdead
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Prohibition-era New York mob boss decides he wants a certain Appalachian moonshiner's product and sends an underling to make an offer the man can't refuse. Things get complicated when the moonshiner's clan turns out to be both hostile and lycanthropic.

It's a great plot. What could have been a generic gangster-war story becomes something more. The supernatural element is nicely-understated and the protagonist is interesting. We see just enough of his history to make him an actual character (as
Quentin Wallace
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.

This one is different to say the least. At its heart, we have a cool Prohibition era crime story. A New York gangster is sent down to Appalachia to recruit a local whiskey brewer for exclusive distribution of his product. When the whiskey maker doesn't agree to the deal, more muscle is sent down to persuade him. However, they never counted on werewolves, or witches for that matter.

This one is set in 1929 and is almost like The Untouchables with the Supernatural thrown in. I read the
Chris Thompson
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Supernatural historical gangster fiction with elements of noir. Oh, and moonshine, lots of moonshine. I can see that the early reviews have not been too kind to this series, but I've really enjoyed it. It's atmospheric and the story is fun. Sure the characters aren't very complex, and the females are relegated mostly to sexual objects. But that atmosphere is great. Even if the characters don't have much in the way of depth, they ooze atmosphere. The appearance of the werewolf is always fun, ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Well, if you have read stories of werwolves and stories about rednecks down South, then you have already read most of the elements that make up Moonshine. The graphics are somewhat of a throwback to the 50s. The story, predictable for the most part. I would probably have preferred to take this one out at the library rather than purchase it. Not really interested in reading Volume 2 either.
Kenny
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Azzarello and Risso in a gangster supernatural noir set during the prohibition. What's not to like?
Joe Kraus
I enjoyed and admired Azzarellos 99 Bullets, especially the first couple volumes. They struck me as extensions of genuine noir, creating and recreating experiments in applied morality: would you, given the chance to do so without consequences to yourself, kill someone? The fun of the early part of the series was that the answer varied, and its still on my long-list of texts I might teach in a noir class.

This one offers some of the same virtues. Azzarello can move a narrative along quickly, and
Joe Kucharski
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Lets hear it for comic book vets taking a bite outta originality. New York gangsters with Tommy guns and spats go up against Appalachian hillbillies and their missing teeth for remarkably distilled hooch during Prohibition. And oh yeah, theres a werewolf or three out there on the prowl going all Gary Brandner because, man, this is comics!

Brian Azzarello excels in short bursts when working within the crime genre. His plots are quick, at times convenient, and his dialogue rat-a-tat fun as his
Frédéric
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, horror
A good prohibition-era werewolf story, if not amazing.

Azzarello does his usual stuff, innuendoes and all that, on a rather basic plot: A NY mobster wants to get his hands on some great virginian booze and sends his protégé Lou to deal with the local yokels. Who happen to be more clever and ruthless than expected.

So, where are the goddamn wolves? Well, here and there but not really the center of attention so far. I don't know if I'm disappointed or not. There's still time to develop that aspect
Adriana
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
There are some fantastic graphics and the elevator pitch is brilliant: a cross-genre story set in Prohibition that pits the Mafia against some Hillbillies with werewolves thrown in to make it interesting. So many chances to do something epic. Instead, we get a mishmash of elements that reads a bit like a stream of consciousness writing on Azzarello's part. Whatever he could think of, he included. It did not work.
The only redeeming point is the art, which is gorgeous when it comes to setting the
H. P.
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-sf
Moonshine is a new comic about a Prohibition-era gangster sent deep into the dark hills of Virginia to recruit a hillbilly moonshiner to work for the organization. If the copy and the silhouette on the back cover dont clue you in that this is a werewolf story, in the very first scene of three revenuers get dismembered. I also literally just realized that the title is a play on werewolf canon too.

Im going to keep this short. If you want the really short version, its this: this comic is a mess.

Dakota Morgan
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Brian Azzarello does a great job in Moonshine of taking a simple concept (big city gangster has bad luck buying moonshine from werewolf hillbillies) and turning it into an exceedingly messy, confusing story. That's not to say Moonshine isn't compelling - I was hooked the whole way through this first volume. I just couldn't tell you what actually happened.

Despite the story growing ever more incoherent as it progressed, Eduardo Risso's artwork maintained a high level of quality. Those colors! I'm
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is awesome! I didn't even read what it was about before I started. I saw Brian Azzarello's name and knew it would good. Then that cover had me thinking 1930s, bootlegging, and gangsters. And that's what I got plus a whole lot more! The book is set in Appalachia and I love a tale of dirt-poor mountain folks, plus on top of that, there is a supernatural element and a fierce creature. Fantastic story! There is also a lot of violence with bodies slashed in half and heads decapitated ...more
Kate
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

Wonderfully grim, violent, and 'in-your-face' as you'd expect from Azzarello. Unfortunately, let down by a meandering narrative, and poorly used female characters. Hopefully, the latter will be rectified by volume 2 if the ending of this edition is anything to go by.
The art style is flowing, atmospheric, with clear character definition. The colour palette is limited, but the browns and greys emphasise the required red 'splatter' to great effect.
The issues with narrative haven't pushed this to
Mariah
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was on a road trip in Georgia when I spontaneously found a comic book store. I was intrigued by this novel so I bought it on a whim. This graphic novel is definitely not for me.

Lou Pirlo works for a selfish mobster who orders him to travel deep in the Appalachians to buy out Hiram Holt's moonshine. NYC could use some good booze and Lou agrees. Quickly he's in over his head meeting Hiram's family and being introduced to a werewolf that's viciously attacking anyone who interferes with Hiram's
Garrett
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know about the rest of you (and thank Mo & Jesu that I don't have that kind of time - keeping up with the rest of you?) but I haven't read any Azzarello and Risso since 100 Bullets. This captures that energy and slime-covered criminality along with an electric slice of tension and venom. I would encourage you to go into this without reading the synopsis. It's a rapid-fire read and a little mindbending, and I can't wait for more.
Zack! Empire
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: image-comics
Really liked the concept, but not so much the execution. The art is really great, and the story starts off strong, but it gets a bit weaker towards the end. I did like how they don't reveal the identity of the werewolf right away, or even what is going on with it in the first place. It adds to the story, I think.
There is some good stuff here, and they are setting up a nice little world, so I'm willing to give it another volume before I make a final decision.
gaminette
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had subscribed to this at my local comic book shop, got busy and the issues piled up. I just got around to reading them. This story is fantastic: well-written, well-drawn and the horror is, well, horrifying.
Jesse A
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Some weird stuff. I'm not sure where it's going but I guess I'll keep on for awhile.
Aildiin
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Good stuff but the action is sometime a little confusing.
andrew y
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ow my brain. I am jarred by how fast I went from unimpressed to riveted to fatigued to engrossed.
This is a crime series not from Brubaker that is still good - matches the pedigree of this team.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Cemetery Beach
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3
  • Royal City, Vol. 2: Sonic Youth
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 2: Original Sins
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #1518: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman