Start by marking “The Bayou Strangler: Louisiana's Most Gruesome Serial Killer” as Want to Read:
The Bayou Strangler: Louisiana's Most Gruesome Serial Killer

The Bayou Strangler: Louisiana's Most Gruesome Serial Killer

In 1997, the bodies of young African American men began turning up in the cane fields of New Orleans suburbs. The victims-many of them transient street hustlers-had been brutally raped and strangled, leaving Louisiana's gay community rattled. When no leads were found and the murders continued, detectives Dennis Thornton and Dawn Bergeron came together as task-force partner ...more
Audio CD
Published November 28th 2017 by Dreamscape Media (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bayou Strangler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bayou Strangler

Carol
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.

Ronald J. Dominique....THE BAYOU STRANGLER....Never heard of him....And now I know why.

RJD was a serial killer who worked his evil in the state of Louisiana preying on young gay black men killing twenty-three between 1997-2006 before he was finally apprehended due to the perseverence of two law enforcement officers.

A gay white man himself, Dominique lured his victims with promises of money and sex....and sometimes even a photo of a pretty girl, and after the act, proceeded to strangl

Irene
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Ronald Dominique was a Patti LaBelle impersonator, meter reader, pizza delivery guy, rapist, and serial killer. This is a look at his crimes, his confession and his sentencing.
When I read true crime I prefer a more matter of fact and less sensationalized approach. I would have liked to know more about his family and what drove him to these crimes and less about his "pulsating" slang for male sex organ. Not much of his family life was disclosed other than he may have been molested by a priest or
Valerity (Val)
Here's the strange but true story of a white Louisiana serial killer that was roaming free for ten years killing mostly young attractive gay black men, more than twenty of them. And most of us will never have heard of him before. His name is Ronald Dominique. And we still wouldn't know about him if not for two super dedicated cops that went above and beyond to work to catch him.

While at roughly the same period in time, Derrick Todd Lee, an African American man was killing white women in the sam
Sheryl
If you like True-Crime this one is for you. Ronald J. Dominique was a prolific serial killer that had killed over twenty men during the late nineties and ending in 2006. I’m still scratching my head trying to come to terms as to how this man got away with his “kill-spree” for as long as he did. Dominique was sloppy, he would dump many of his victims in plain sight, not to mention he had narrowed his hunting grounds to such a small area that when a body was recovered several of the same investiga ...more
Terri
This is the story of a serial killer I knew little about. partly because Derrick Todd Lee was active around the same time in Louisiana and partly because like the author says, there wasn't a lot of coverage even though some detectives knew what was going on and were working hard at it. It is very well paced and balanced and I really found it informative and intriguing.
Lee Husemann
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book about a serial rapist/strangler who preyed mostly on young gay black men although he did include some straight black and straight white men. He lured the men into his vehicle, bound, raped and strangled them. Thanks to two detectives from different precincts, the case was finally solved when they found someone who had managed to escape from this monster. This was a real page turner and I highly recommend it.
Diana
Book received from NetGalley.

This was a hard book to read, the fact that those who were being killed were homosexual and not worth the bother in the eyes of the law at the time upset me. Knowing that being different made you less of a human being, and less of a priority, when others of the same orientation were being systematically killed was just wrong. I do not remember any of these murders being mentioned on the news during that time, showing even more, that the men being killed didn't matter
♥ Marlene♥
The book is not bad but I did feel a bit as the victims were victimized yet again by hardly getting real attention in the book. It felt all a bit matter of fact like O he killed this black man and this white guy.
It were not just black men but also white but mainly young black males. The killer is such a cowardly weakling. I am sure he kept on lying and so how much those victims had to go through we will never know.

Ronnie Cramer
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Only 164 pages but it seemed longer.
Melanie
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bayou Strangler is an engrossing real life story about the search for and the capture and conviction of a serial killer in Louisiana. I have received an advanced reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Julie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction, vine
One of the most prolific serial killers in America was mostly unheard of because his victims were on the fringes of society. During the ten years he actively killed, Ronald Dominique primarily targeted gay black men in Louisiana, raping and strangling 23. Despite the lack of media coverage, identifying the perpetrator was the top priority of the detectives tracking him down. This wasn’t as grisly as other true crime books I’ve read, even considering the nature of the murders. Once he was apprehe ...more
Kyle Robertson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The author's note states: "This story is based on primary, on-the-scene reporting in the bayous of Louisiana; the investigative transcript of the case; and extended interviews with the primary detectives."

This book tells the story of Ronald J. Dominique, who killed more victims than any other serial killer in the United States during the past two decades. His reign of terror took place around the same time frame that Dennis Rader, the BTK Killer, was on the loose in Kansas. However, Dominique's
Mike
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is the true story of Ronald Joseph Dominique, a prolific serial killer who is almost unknown outside of the Southern United States. Between 1997 and 2006 Dominique raped and strangled at least twenty-three men, most of them young, black and gay.

While the crimes were truly awful the story, as told here by author Fred Rosen, isn't very interesting. I know how that sounds; terrible, horrible crimes that are kind of dull? But it's true. I don't know if it is because killer Dominique is so blan
Roberta Blablanski
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was doubly interesting to me as I'm interested in true crime and the killings happened where I live. I remember hearing about the deaths and search for the killer as the investigation was developing, and I appreciated having a timeline laid out in this book.

My issue with this book and author is his interchangeable use of county and parish. He mentions at the beginning of the book that Louisiana is unique in that it has parishes instead of counties, yet he chooses to use county often. H
Laurent Saletto
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the better real case investigation books I have read this year. Though not exactly in the Ann Rule class, this is thoroughly well researched and fairly well written. I am no great fan of imagined conversations and there are a few in there on how it felt that night kind of thing. Well unless you were the killer or the victim you would not really know how it felt! That said, it was very easy to read and I would definitely try another title by the same author. Recommended for fans of ...more
Bonnie Kernene
Excellent book on Ronald J. Dominique, a little known serial killer in Louisiana. He was there during the time that Todd Derrick Lee was, so he was overshadowed. However, this book is worth the read! It is very well researched and written. I had a hard time putting it down. If you enjoy reading about serial killers, especially ones that are not so popular or in the public eye as much, this is for you! Great book!
Marsha
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have listened to Dan Zupansky's podcast, True Murder, for a long time now. Fred Rosen has been interviewed by Zupansky several times and he is always my favorite author. He is very thorough and quite animated. I was looking forward to reading this book and, as always, Rosen does not disappoint. This is a chilling account of a serial killer and murders that took place in the New Orleans area. If you like books of true crime, this is a good one and highly recommended!
Kristal Shaffer
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As my first true crime book, this was a very interesting read. I am very intrigued when it comes to gruesome crimes and this was one of them. I was surprised I had never actually heard of Ronald J. Dominique, considering he went on a decade long killing spree. This story kept me on edge as I read it through a few short sittings. Would definitely recommend to someone who loves justice being served.
Vnunez-Ms_luv2read
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
How was this man's crime not as well known as other serial killers? Was it because of who his victims were? Very interesting read, could not put down. What a monster Ronald J. Dominique. Please read this book. Everyone should read this book and realize what kind of people are in this world. Thanks to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book in return for my honest review.
Michelle
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
oh, this book is terrible and cringey, making me feel even sorrier for the victims’ friends and families. the bare facts of this horrid little man’s crimes are lurid enough; adjectives aren’t necessary. the reporting is accurate and thorough despite lacking sensitivity.
mrs ann morgan
Apr 28, 2019
Kara
Jul 04, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
American true crime author and former columnist for the Arts and Leisure Section of The New York Times.

Rosen's published works in the genre include Lobster Boy, There But For the Grace: Survivors of the 20th Century’s Infamous Serial Killers and When Satan Wore a Cross.

He is also the winner of Library Journal’s Best Reference Source 2005 award for The Historical Atlas of American Crime, and has w