Start by marking “Love, Lies and Linguine” as Want to Read:
Love, Lies and Linguine

Love, Lies and Linguine

(Hester and Harriet #2)

The delightfully irascible sisters are on the move . . . which just goes to show you're never too old to start again.

Having found, in Hester & Harriet, that sometimes opening your door to the unexpected has a great result, the intrepid sisters decide to further expand their horizons and book tickets, pack bags and venture forth to Italy for their annual holidays. With
Published February 1st 2017 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Love, Lies and Linguine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Lies and Linguine

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Love, Lies and Linguine is the second book written by Hilary Spiers, featuring two widowed sisters, following on from the novel Hester and Harriet. This is my second outing with the two sisters, Hester and Harriet, as I very recently finished reading the first book in this series. Reading Love, Lies and Linguine offered me the chance to revisit not only the sisters again, but the loved ones who all play an important role in Hester and Harriet’s lives.

This time around the action in the novel alte
Marianne
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, Lies and Linguine is the second book in the Hester and Harriet series by British author, Hilary Spiers. For some weeks, things have not been quite right between sisters Hester Greene and Harriet Pearson. One factor is Harriet’s anxiety as to whether her sister will enjoy the vacation she has organised for them in Italy (they usually go to the Scilly Isles without fail). And perhaps it has something to do with the letter that arrived weeks ago: Hester can't believe that Harriet has kept som ...more
Alicia Huxtable
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
These 2 sisters are highly amusing......in an extremely stubborn way. In this book they take a trip to Italy.....only 1 has an ulterior motive, except it is not what she thinks. Troubles follow these 2 right through their holiday. It is a rather amusing read that I recommend.
Karen
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Easy to get involved in the characters lives. Entertaining story with underlying life lessons.
Stef (Noveltea Corner)
Love, Lies & Linguine is the second book by Hilary Spiers to feature Hester and Harriet, elderly, widowed sisters who live in a cottage in an English village. In this second instalment of their story, Hester and Harriet have ventured to Italy for a holiday, their resort boasting a number of activities, including cooking classes and watercolour painting. There are new faces, friends and potential love interests, and all the complications that follow.

Back home, Hester and Harriet’s nephew, Ben
Pam Tickner
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't find this book as delightful as the first - the sisters withholding secrets from each other didn't have the same appeal as their unified effort to avoid their hapless relatives. However, I did enjoy revisiting all the crew and knew without a doubt the fate of the shepherdess!
Bookishsmaug
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was so much fun. Harriet and Hester were the quirkiest, most adorable set of characters I've ever come across. I've never read a story with the POVs of elderly women before - it was really refreshing! I also love how naive the author portrays the two sisters to be. The way I see it, it's a story told by a pair of ambitious teenage girls trapped in an older woman's body. Bottom line though (and I should really stop being so biased xD ), Hester and Harriet are amazing characters - witty, ...more
Karen
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I haven't read Hilary Spiers' previous book, and after reading this one it's extremely unlikely I ever will. Obviously my enjoyment of the main characters may have benefited from a previous introduction, but surely a good book stands alone without being dependent on what comes before. I found the two main characters of Hester and Harriet indistuishable (as I think did the author - I received this book as an uncorrected proof in a giveaway, and Ms Spiers routinely muddles the two characters in mi ...more
Sera Minchin
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I chose to try and win this book because of my Italian upbringing. I was born to Italian parents but born here in Australia. I have not read the previous book about Harriet and Hilary, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading about their antics in Italy. I must admit, I did have problems remembering who was who because both of the ladies names started with H. But once I got over that and could work out who was who, I submerged myself into the book and immersed myself into their adventure. A ver ...more
Sharyn
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did not read the first book but still enjoyed this book. It did take me a few chapters to get into it though as i was a bit confused with the two main characters at first (i had to keep going back to check on some things about the characters). overall it was a light read with some amusing parts. I received the book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
I really loved the first book in this series for the quirky whimsicality and the gentle mystery and fun.

This book was mostly negativity and hostility and I really struggled to engage with it. I found it incredibly difficult to tell the two sisters apart and remember who was doing what and why they were so unnecessarily furious with the other.
Book Bazaar
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the first book and thoroughly enjoyed it and this didn't disappoint. The characters I loved were back, even if they were out of sorts for some of the book :) A really enjoyable read to while away a few hours with.
Ashleigh
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Received a review copy - longer review to appear on my blog.

Lise
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Hester and Harriet series, and I found it to be much weaker than the first. The first half of the book is spent with two of the main characters, Ben and Hester, being extremely irritating, to the point I nearly stopped reading. The second half of the book was slightly more satisfying, with the stories coming to a reasonable conclusion, and the main characters becoming less selfish and more well-rounded. I would give a third book in the series a go (if one comes alo ...more
MaryM
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved Hilary Spiers's first book Hester and Harriet. Perhaps my expectations were too high but Love Lies and Linguine is a disappointment. The sisters go to Italy on holiday, Hester has a disturbing secret and is snappy towards Harriet who is confused. The reason behind this secret comes from Harriet's past. Meanwhile nephew Ben is getting himself into bother back home. Unfortunately too many other elements invade the story, a love interest, fellow tourists with convoluted love lies, cookery l ...more
Corinne Johnston
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable but not as much as the first book, for me anyway. Despite much of it being set in my favourite holiday destination of Italy, and lots of food and wine, the constant arguments and miscommunications grated a bit. And as a 62 year old I really take exception to the authors depiction of women in their mid 60 s... Aches and pains and inability to do the simplest task...I have at least eight 65+ friends currently on skiing holidays!
Greta Dunning
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful book!

Having read the first book it was lovely to catch up with the sisters again. I found it a little difficult to get started because of the signalled fiasco of a teenage party. Oh, goodness, how awful! I metaphorically held my nose and ploughed on and it was certainly worth it.
The writing is superb and wonderfully literate. I can’t praise it enough. Enjoy.
Wendy
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quirky characters and many laugh out loud moments. A great read.
Ana Shaw
Another enjoyable Harriet and Hester adventure, this time in delectable Italy. However, in this sequel I was more engaged by the interactions between the dynamic Nats and the put upon Ben back home.
Emma
Jan 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
So bad. But I can't not finish a book.
Farisha Pace
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Wasn't as good as her first book but it was still okay to read. I feel that it lacked the adventures of Hester & Harriet.
Sonia Bellhouse
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Three and a half from me. It didn't have quite the same charm as Hester and Harriet, Maybe it was the change of location, but I found it harder to differentiate between the sisters. Most engaging were their nephew Ben's attempts to please his mates, thwart his parents and impress the girl he admired.
Annie
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a nice follow on from Hester and Harriet. It was easy to read, but I didn't feel engrossed until the last third of the book. I liked the way the tale unfolded as we went along, but the constant misunderstanding and rancour between the sisters got a bit old, they seemed to be forever getting their backs up at each other. I found Ben's story a bit easier to empathise with. All in all a good tale though. I was given a free copy of this book to read and review.
Shanayah
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Full Review Here

I had heard of Hester and Harriet before, but I hadn’t read the first book. For some reason I didn’t think they were connected and that I would be able to understand everything that happened beforehand (clever, right?), so I just threw myself into this one. No one would be surprised to hear that I didn’t understand most of the backstories or know the characters, so please keep that in mind when you’re reading this review J

The writing was a little odd to me, like it was set in pre
Hannah Reed
I really enjoyed Hester and Harriet, the first book in this series, and I was excited to return to these characters and their world again, but this just didn't live up to the first one. I think Hester and Harriet is just another instance of 'this really didn't need a sequel and yet here we are'.

The characters I grew to love in the previous book disappeared and became empty shells of what they were before, they were arguing constantly and seemed like completely different characters. Ben was n
Gigi S.
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This novel was a bit of an enigma for me. On one hand, I enjoyed reading the novel and found the Italian setting quite entertaining. The situations were often humorous and it was quite quaint. On the other hand, I did not find many of the characters likeable, especially Ben the teenager and Hester. Ben was not even believable as a teenager, with his reactions to things (the party being forced on him) just so typical 'old person writes a teenage character.' All the teenage characters spoke in a r ...more
Ginger
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh, boring. Missing a lot of the excitement of the first
Shaama Mahroof-hussain
Great read

Excellent book, better then the first. Hope it isn't the last that we hear from Hetty & Harry not forgetting Daria, Milo and Ben.
Lisa
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Not as good as the first
Ann-Marie
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Beauty and Lace and Allen and Unwin for the book to read.

Love, Lies and Linguine is a great light read.

This is a book where one story branches off and then you cleverly almost have two stories.
The main story is Hester and Harriet two sisters off on an adventurous holiday. We read about the fun they have and make a few discoveries along the way.
The second story we follow along is with Ben their nephew where we follow along on his teenage life.
Both stories are happening at the same t

• The Beloved
  • 10 Short Stories You Must Read This Year
  • Table For Eight
  • The Case Of The Phantom Fortune
  • The Greatest Gift
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands: The Other Side of OCD
  • The Wife's Tale
  • Eventually Julie (Julie & Friends, #1)
  • An Accidental Light
  • Would Like to Meet
  • The Pi**ed-Off Parents Club
Hilary Spiers is a novelist, award-winning short story writer and playwright. She writes contemporary fiction about ordinary women in sometimes extraordinary circumstances, and in particular older women who rarely seem to take centre stage. Well, in her work, they do, in all their wit and exuberance.

Hilary’s first novel, Hester and Harriet, was published in March 2016 and was included in the 2016

Hester and Harriet (2 books)
  • Hester and Harriet