Start by marking “Frankie” as Want to Read:
Frankie

Frankie

Shivaun Plozza’s debut novel, Frankie, is a genre-hopping, darkly funny novel about searching for the truth, finding yourself, and falling in love

Frankie Vega is angry. Just ask the guy whose nose she broke. Or the cop investigating the burglary she witnessed, or her cheating ex-boyfriend, or her aunt who's tired of giving second chances.

When a kid shows up claiming to be
Published November 7th 2017 by Flatiron Books (first published March 23rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Frankie, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Megan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Frankie
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Frankie is without a doubt, the most compelling debut in young adult since Stolen by Lucy Christopher. It's an utterly enchanting blend of attitude, sass and an engaging storyline as told through the eyes of one of the most likable protagonists in young adult today. Although she's always lived with the hurt of abandonment, Frankie is incredibly fierce and doesn't allow the failures of her mother to define her. She and aunt Vinnie live above Vinnie's kebab shop in the Melbourne suburb of Collingw ...more
Rebecca
HELLS YEAH.

I have a ridiculous love for characters like Frankie. She was so incredibly snarky, and quite the troubled teen.

I thought the story line was fab as fuck too. I was rooting for her the entire way. Not going to lie, I definitely wanted to shake some sense into her too, but I really enjoyed the way it all came together.

I can't decide between a 4 or a 5 rating tbh. The only reason I'm leaning more towards a 4 is because, despite my love for all the characters and the story line, I still d
Jess
This book flat out destroyed me. In every imaginable way. I have never laughed with characters so much, or cheered for them when things started happening - or yelled at the page when things didn't. I also haven't cried these big ugly crying tears since I read Melina Marchetta's On the Jellicoe Road. Seriously. When this book releases at the end of this month, you need to buy yourself a copy. Stat.

~*~*~*~
The above is the original mini-I've-just-finished-this-book-and-I-need-to-tell-you-about-it
Steph Cuthbert
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loveozya, young-adult
I'm in a seriously messed up emotional state right now. I loved it. Review to come tomorrow.

UPDATE: I'm still in a messed up place. This book killed my heart. I want to rave about Shivaun's writing, but I honestly can't because I literally didn't notice that an author had an idea, developed it, wrote it down, spent years of her life rewriting it, sent it to a publisher, spent forever on edits and copy edits and finally had it turned into a book. The entire process was irrelevant because my brai
Grace Lucy
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Thanks to Penguin Teen Australia for the ARC!

Anyone who has heard me talk about books (so basically everyone who has ever met me), knows that I am not a huge contemporary fan. Why would I want to read about real life? I already have one of those. Every so often, however, I read a YA contemporary novel that makes me eat my words - and Frankie is one of them. Maybe because it's an Australian novel and I could actually relate to the characters; maybe just because Plozza writes really well.

One of my
rachel ☾
Frankie was one of those decent reads that I enjoyed... but it just didn’t grab me completely. I liked that the characters were unique and distinctive but to be honest, I never really connected to any of them. We got about five seconds with Xavier before he disappeared so he was kind of just this assumed figure hovering over the plot. I could understand why Frankie cared about him but I never felt it for myself. The same with Nate, her best friend (whose name escaping me at the moment), Nonna an ...more
NicoleHasRead
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloody loved it. Review at nicolehasread.blogspot.com

Frankie is that wonderful creation, a difficult, troubled character who does terrible things, that you absolutely fall in love with anyway. She is in trouble at school, having used a book of Shakespeare to rearrange someone's face, and her aunt, Vinnie, is close to washing her hands of her. When Xavier appears claiming to be her half-brother she is intrigued, but also wary. She hasn't exactly had the best experience with family. But just as sh
nick (the infinite limits of love)

I would like to know what the people of Australia are drinking because goddamn can they write. I have yet to read a book by an Aussie author that I’ve disliked. The quality of their writing is so superior to any other writing styles that I’ve encountered. Frankie was no different. It was such a fresh, riveting story with an extremely compelling main character.

I loved Frankie. She’s a giant ball of fury and I related quite a bit to her. She’s angry, pissed off and unapologetic about it all. I mea
Caroline
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I considered giving up on this book because I found it very disappointing but it was still nice and quick to read so wooh.

Frankie is an Aussie YA about a young, angry girl who (while suspended from school for hitting someone) finds out she has a half brother. Her brother goes missing pretty early in the story and it becomes a book about a girl searching for her new little brother at a time when she really should be searching for herself.

There were elements of this book that I enjoyed. I liked t
Tara
OK- That ending hit me like a freight train...... came way too fast and left me hurting (obviously I would be more than hurting if a freight train hit me but you get the point).
I can't get enough of OZ YA lately, especially if they are set in Melbourne and Frankie did not disappoint. Starting with the beautiful cover, I was sucked into the story within the first pages, immediately connecting with Frankie and feeling a large amount of contempt for the asshats at her school, as well as absolutely
K.
Trigger warnings: parental abandonment, drug addiction, (view spoiler)

Oh man. I am on Team Unpopular Opinion where this book is concerned. A bunch of people I know and trust have given it five stars. A bunch of kids at work have raved about it. And yet, I knew pretty much from page 1 that I wasn't going to love this.

I think the book deals very well with poverty, and it's pretty much a love letter to Collingwood. But personally, I found Frankie's voice incredib
I.H.
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frankie is, quite honestly, a gift to the Australian YA scene. Featuring a depth of character & strength of voice that carries it to incredible heights, this book deserves all the praise it gets and then some.

Highlights for me included a tight narrative and a fantastic ending that worked incredibly well and carried a depth of insight and emotion that blew me away. Shivaun Plozza's voice as an author is distinct, breathing life into her characters, and layers of depth into the world of Colligwoo
Fleur Ferris
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant debut. Frankie is a compelling story of mystery, humour, sass and sadness. The setting is as alive as the characters. Did I mention love and anger? Plenty of that, too. I can't wait for Plozza's next book. Highly recommend! ...more
Rachael
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frankie is angry. Naturally, I love her immediately. Her voice is authentic, snarky, fragile, toxic and totally believable. Beautifully structured, the narrative unfolds with urgent, compelling, clever storytelling. (Excuse me while I hurl all the adjectives). I love the references, relationships, the artistic and musical motifs, the agonizing journey towards self awareness and hope. Frankie proved completely gripping from beginning to end, and though it broke my heart it was a joy to read even ...more
Short  Reviews
I can't seem to find books I love these days.
Frankie is always angry, and I understood why. Her mother was all kinds of messed up.
The ending was nice, I'm happy Frankie found a way of healing her pain.
Ryan Buckby
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've started to get tougher on what ratings i give books since i've read more books but this book deserves its 5 star rating!

Frankie was a funny, sarcastic and well-rounded character i loved reading this story it had me laughing throughout the whole book. This is Shivaun's debut novel and it was soo good and i cannot wait to see what other stories she has.

Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
This tried to pack a big emotional punch, but it just didn't quite get there.

The writing is solid. I have a soft spot for Australian authors when it comes to reading contemporary YA, and this shows why: there's smooth prose laid over a gritty plot.

18-year old Frankie Vega has serious anger issues. Abandoned by her mother at age 4, she's been raised by her Aunt Vinnie, who runs a kebab shop. Then suddenly Xavier Green enters her life. He's 14, cheeky, charming... and her half-brother.

When he v
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I had to dry my face and blow my nose at the end of this one. I felt so much for Frankie, and her struggle with her past. It was quite a bumpy journey for her, but I was happy to see her be able to unpack some of what was keeping her from fully embracing the life she had or could have.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Nadia King
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Australian YA fiction.

Shivaun Plozza has written one of the most appealing female protagonists in young adult fiction in her first novel, Frankie (Penguin, 2016).

Frankie Vega is an angry badass--she's sassy, fierce, quick to act, and snarky. Her self-deprecating, dark humour had me snorting with laughter. Frankie's witty one-liners and speedy back-handers are a force to be reckoned with.

But what I most enjoyed about this book was the gritty rawness evident in every element of the nar
Jenna
This review also appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Frankie is a book that will make you laugh and cry. It’s a novel that’s for the kids out there who might be dealing with tough circumstances in their personal lives, and having trouble at school and with the law. The book is full of heartwarming and devastating moments that will tug at your heartstrings.

Frankie had a very addictive story and I read it quickly in two sittings because I couldn’t put it down. It had a very
Mersini
This book is what a Melina Marchetta book would be like if she decided to go punk. Set in Melbourne, Frankie follows Francesca 'Frankie' Vega, who has anger management issues and a not so stable home life. Her mother abandoned her when she was four years old, and she's never quite managed to move past that. Living with her aunt above their kebab shop, this book starts with an incident at school, and the possibility of Frankie expanding her family to include a brother she didn't know she had.

The
Casey
Frankie is amazing!

As an Aussie girl who grew up hanging around Collingwood and the city, getting into mischief, meeting my best friend for a drink at a ridiculous hours, getting in trouble with teachers. I mean let's get it straight I didn't have anywhere near the traumatising upbringing as Frankie, but I couldn't help to compare my year 12 self with her.

Frankie is snarky, grumpy, and down right rude and I loved that? Okay? Okay I probably wouldn't be friends with Frankie but I loved her charac
Emily Mead
Ahhhhhh Frankie. I loved Frankie - such a vibrant, smart, troublesome character. I loved a lot of things about this book, for example:

- The friendship between Frankie and Cara
- The relationship between Frankie and her aunt Vinnie (who deserves the Best Aunt award, hands down)
- The mystery of Frankie's brother Xavier
- Crosswords
- Actually laugh-out-loud moments (Frankie is the most HILARIOUSLY sassy character)
- Really witty, sharp dialogue and writing style

Basically it was fantastic. The only re
Karina
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
One of the angriest, yet funniest, characters I've ever read.

If it wasn't for the humour I probably would have found this really hard to read - basically because personally I don't deal well with self-loathing/self-pitying in characters. The physicality of Frankie's rage was also quite disturbing.

I loved the writing and I loved the characters. I don't know how Shivaun makes horrendous characters so lovable - it's a gift ;-)
Ely
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been going through and adding reviews to books I read ages ago that I wrote reviews for and then lost, so bear with me here.

The thing I remember most about Frankie is how much it tore my freaking heart out. It's been more than two years since I read this and I still feel this crushing pain every time I think of the ending of this book. If that doesn't convince you that you need to read this I don't know what will.
Aila
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!

Aw man, Frankie's character is full of heart <3 I really enjoyed her character development and the relationship with her best friend and aunt. The end was a bit iffy for me but everything else was awesome! Her narration was super hilarious and relatable.

Review to come.
Estee
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I roll onto my back and glare at the star stickers all over my ceiling. They’re not glowing—it’s daytime—but I can see the outlines and they’re pissing me off. So cheery and pretty and meaningful. Stars—I hate the bastards.”

Frankie is angry. And rightfully so. I totally get it. I would be angry too if I was her.

This book was easy to read although the ending left me with a bunch of questions and an overall feeling that Frankie didn’t get any of the help that she so desperately needs.

But maybe
SJ RocknRoll
This book broke my heart. I just wanted to give everyone a hug and tell them that they are worthy of love and of goodness.
Andrew
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angry teen girl detective story in the gritty streets of Collingwood. I loved it. (Also made me miss Melbourne)
Calzean
Frankie certainly has anger management issues. She is angry about being left by her mother when she was only 4 years old, now in her last year of high school she is a punk, rebellious, has a fast tongue and a penchant for striking out if her temper goes to red. She is shocked to find she has a half-brother but just as soon as Xavier turns up he disappears.
While Frankie was one angry young lady but her constant whining about how bad her life was, did get a bit annoying. I also struggled with why
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Earth to Charlie
  • Everything That Makes You
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • The Wild Woman's Guide to Traveling the World
  • Summer of My German Soldier (Summer of My German Soldier, #1)
  • Fright Night
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 3
  • The Beginning Place
  • Lies You Never Told Me
  • Dream House
  • Almost a Bride (Destination Love, #2)
  • Kokomo
  • A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares
Shivaun Plozza is an award-winning author of books for children and young adults. Her debut novel, Frankie, was a CBCA Notable Book and won a number of awards, including the Davitt Awards and a commendation from the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award. Her second novel, Tin Heart, sold in three foreign territories, received two starred reviews, and was nominated to ALA’S Best Fiction for Young Adul ...more