Start by marking “Mirage (Mirage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mirage (Mirage, #1)

Mirage

(Mirage #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  8,839 ratings  ·  2,318 reviews
In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire, eighteen-year-old Amani is a dreamer. She dreams of what life was like before the occupation; she dreams of writing poetry like the old-world poems she adores; she dreams of receiving a sign from Dihya that one day, she, too, will have adventure, and travel beyond her isolated moon.

But when adventure comes for Amani,
Published August 28th 2018 by Flatiron Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Mirage, please sign up.
Jenny Yes there is, but not an overwhelming amount!
Phoebe Pratt It does have minor violence but nothing to visual. Would defiantly recommend for those ages

·  8,839 ratings  ·  2,318 reviews

Start your review of Mirage (Mirage, #1)
chai ♡
I am, and I cannot stress this enough, a mess over this book.

I love this book for many reasons: least of which that lately I’ve been full of the restless, dissatisfied energy that seemed to move into my heart after finishing a book, I’ve been chasing that particular high you only get from certain rare stories – the ones that make you want to press the book against your chest and try to soak up the gorgeous literature via osmosis, the ones that resonate with you on a strange personal level, like
Emily May
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
“you are not defined by the men in your life, no matter how powerful. You lived before them and you shall live after them. You can’t let them determine your path.”

3 1/2 stars. Now THIS is the feminist YA fantasy of 2018, not Heart of Thorns. It's imperfect, yes, falling into a number of debut author traps, but it's a slow-burning, diverse fantasy with a rich, Moroccan-inspired setting.

Somewhat surprisingly, Mirage is a character-driven fantasy. Most YA fantasy I read is driven by mindless ac
Elle (ellexamines)
Somaiya Daud didn’t have to come for us like this..... she’s like “here take this amazing multidimensional narrative about colonization and agency and internalized hatred for one’s culture, driven by a fantastic lady lead and her complex relationship with a fantastic lady antivillain, featuring fantastic setting descriptions and a really good romance, and also I write like a Pulitzer Prize winner and this is my debut” and im just. out here eating a bag of chips

I know I just gave you a really lon
Sabaa Tahir
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for this book and I didn't even know it. Smart, fast-paced, sexy, heartbreaking, with spectacular worldbuilding. The cultural details, from names to clothes to physical descriptions to poetry are so painstakingly and carefully done. It's a sci-fi that feels like a fantasy, which tbh is my favorite genre combo. You will be hearing me yell about this book all year. Add it to your TBRs, try to get your hands on an ARC. It is absolutely fantastic.
Melanie

ARC provided by Flatiron in exchange for an honest review.

You all should check out this amazing ownvoices review from Em! 💜

“On a small moon orbiting a large planet, in a small farmhouse in a small village, there was a box, and in this box was a feather.”

Mirage is a magical, wonderful, important, gift to the YA SFF world. From characters I fell in love with, to the messages about the importance of your culture and your family, to the most lyrical and beautiful writing. I loved this st
Cristina Monica
A book, for me, can have a thousand tropes, but as long as it has this one specific element, it can be a thousand times glorious.

Intensity.

I don’t want to read a dull story. I don’t want to not feel anything. I want to be moved to ugly tears and be made so angry I can’t move my limbs and fumble with my words.

This was one intense book and, unsurprisingly, character-driven. Intensity is not brought to life by objects; it is created by people who feel, see, hear, touch and taste.

Who have personal
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Science fiction can be hit and miss for me, so I don’t request ARCs from the genre terribly often, but when I heard the synopsis on this one—and the fact that it has own-voice Moroccan rep, which I’d never seen in a story before—I knew it was one I couldn’t afford to miss out on, and for good reason. I don’t say this lightly in my advance reviews, but honestly, I believe Mirage is going to be one of the best, and most important, releases of 2018.

The crown of Dihya had been stripped from me, m
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay, I got the same book in my Sept Fairyloot Box! This is happening too much, but I loved the book from this box and all the stuff in it. I will leave a link below the picture!

AWESOME GOODIES LINK

I actually enjoyed this book, at first I wasn't sure and then it reeled me in closer to the end of the book! I couldn't give up on a book set in space and stuff! =)

•••••••

This was in my Sept Owlcrate box. I hope I love it as much as my friends have given it 5 stars! I must admit, I love the original
jessica
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
i got this book in owlcrates september box and im so happy because this wasnt even on my radar!

this book was relatively short and so it wasted no time with a slow build up. the story dived straight into the world building which, honestly, was a bit overwhelming. but eventually that overwhelming feeling developed into intrigue. and i felt like this story had a lot going for it - the cultural representation, the sci-fi feel within a fantasy centred story, and the characters.

i really appreciated
Hamad
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual rating: 3.25 stars

“Even Your Happiness is rebellion.”

🌟 I don’t usually put synopsis but I felt it was important to understand this review and because I went into the story without even knowing what is it about!

🌟 I know this book will get a lot of good reviews and ratings which is cool and makes me happy for the author. The problem is that this is a debut novel and it felt like one!

🌟 I am not a big Sci-fi reade
C.G. Drews
This is such a lush sci-fi with an AWESOME premise! Body-doubles and rich backstabby courts and rebellions and the actual most intricately detailed culture and world! (Although lowkey thought it was fantasy?! I think the non-galaxy-starry cover threw me haha.) It's also really important and special to see #ownvoices sci-fi featuring POC characters and culture.

I'm sad there were things that didn't work for me regarding plot logic/writing style...but I still think it's a beautiful book and will a
Vibur (hiatus)
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
At its core, Mirage was a story about culture.

I empathised with Amani, who’d been torn from home and all that was familiar to become a foreigner. I empathised with Idris, who’d lost his heritage and history, who’d been forced to shed his culture and put on another. And I empathised with Maram, whose cruelty concealed a girl whose desire was to belong—and who, because of her biracial identity, was always an outsider and never 'authentic' enough for either.

The motif of language manifests itself th
may ❀
THIS WAS REALLY GOOD YOU GUYS IM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW

i really liked the pacing and the plot and the writing style and how the author seamlessly managed to incorporate her moroccan culture into sci-fi fiction, it's official y'all, shes an actual queen

i adored the art representing the cities/places they were traveling, honestly that was the highlight of the book

the characters were interesting, well developed, and i see so much more growth happening in the coming books im HYPED

maram's character in
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
July 2020 edit: I don't know how this is possible but I loved this book even more the second time around.

CW: Death, colonialisation, cultural appropriation, cultural erasure, violence, physical abuse, threats, attempted murder.

I delayed writing this review until the last possible moment because I simply do not feel worthy of writing it, my words will never do this brilliant book justice. I wasn’t okay when I read it. And I’m still not okay now, two months later. Mirage broke me and put me back t
may ➹
Jul 29, 2018 marked it as need-to-finish
I made it to 3% and I’ve never been prouder of myself

(the writing is gorgeous and nothing is BAD about it, I’m just...not in the mood to read this AT ALL)
Beth
5 Stars!

You do not kneel or bend, I told myself. To anyone. You continue.

You know when you need a book in your life, but you didn't realise what that was until you read it? Well for me, this was Mirage. I got an ARC from Netgalley and then two copies in subscription boxes, so I'm going to say it was a sign that I had to read it.

I'm quite surprised at myself, now I can be honest here and say Sci-Fi isn't usually for me, I'm normally very skeptical and it takes me a while to get into it. For some
Chanelle
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Amani and Maram had an interesting friendship and reading how their relationship blossomed throughout the book was so captivating, and the way the author writes is so beautiful and poetic I can’t even put it into words. One of my favorite parts about this book was reading about another Indigenous African person, and the addition of that to the Moroccan inspired fantasy elements was just wonderful.
Christian
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: released-2018
One of the most ridiculously tedious books I have ever read.

I did enjoy the overall setting and some of the characters were mildly interesting, but every. Single. Scene. Felt so insignificant and useless, and if there was a somewhat exciting one, it was quickly skipped over just to resume the talking about tiles. I don't think I've ever read a book that talked about tiles more than this one.

And the climax? Massively underwhelming. I would have dnf'd this countless times had I not held onto the
Naima

This was solid. I really enjoyed this. Review to come.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Mirage is a young adult fantasy written by Somaiya Daud. It will be published on 8/28/18 by Flatiron Books, an imprint of Macmillan Publishers, 320 pages. The genres are young adult, fantasy, and science fiction. This book is the author’s debut and is intended for readers ages 13 to 18.

My Experience: I started reading Mirage on 4/6/18 and finished it on 4/14/18. This book is an excellent read! I love that there’s a village on the moon. The body double is interesting to read, especially w
mxa ☂︎
Jan 20, 2018 marked it as on-hold-or-dnf
currently being hated by everyone ???? show me your worst, Princess Maram 🌚

buddy read with an angel 💫

~~~

27.8.2018:
Mirage will finally be released tomorrow and I'm so here for an antagonistic character that's also called Maram 🌚🌚🌚🌚 Also, need the physical copy like yesterday IT'S GORGEOUS 😍💜
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
giveaway for a copy of Mirage + free wallpaper download!

"You are not defined by the men in your life, no matter how powerful."

Mirage was definitely not what I was expecting--but not in a bad way! I was looking forward to reading a high-stakes survival story with lots of action and rebellion (I was totally imagining a fantasy version of The Hunger Games), but it was more along the lines of The Wrath and the Dawn with its slower pacing and intense focus on the romance.

Again, this is not ne
Carrie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Mirage by Somaiya Daud is the first book of the new young adult romantic science fiction fantasy series by the same name. Eighteen year old Amani is from a poor family living in a village on a remote moon when droids show up scanning everyone they come across.

When the droids scan Amani they find something within her that causes her capture and to be whisked away from her home. The next Amani knows she is meeting Princess Maram and finds she is staring into what is practically her own face. That
ambsreads
Buddy Reading this with my favourite Chris Hemsworth lover

Thank you so much to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an eARC. I also received a review copy in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions on Mirage are my own, receiving a copy did not impact this at all.

Trigger Warnings: kidnapping, cultural erasure, physical abuse, war themes, murder, forced body altercations, talk of grief and trauma

MY REVIEW FOR MIRAGE WAS FIRST POSTED ON MY BLOG, CHECK IT OUT HERE

An
Candace Robinson
This was another just okay read for me. I wasn’t a fan of some of the scifi elements, maybe that type of stuff just isn’t my thing. I did really like Amani and her poetry fetish. Although the writing was excellent and the romance was nice, I just wasn’t fist pumping over this one.
a n i s s a
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-release
Ahh, this book. Loved it so much!
Benjamin *or so they say*
I received ARC in exchange for an honest review,

Full review posted

I just arrived back home after a long trip and I have the feeling that I have already forgotten how to write a decent review, so please don’t hate me if this review ends up being a mess. (I have only one free week left before college starts and I’m not feeling ready enough).
................................................................................................
Mirage is one of those books that since the first time you hea
Yusra  ✨
Aug 27, 2018 marked it as to-read

when i say I’M EXCITED

rachel ☾
i didn't know how much i needed this in my life
Umairah | Sereadipity
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Mirage was a Moroccan and Amazigh (who are the indigenous people of North Africa) inspired sci-fi (with the feel of a fantasy) and it was quite literally the book of my dreams. I don't think words can convey how much this book means to me but I'll give it a go!

Content Warnings: violence, physical abuse, torture, themes of colonialism

Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5

I'm half Moroccan Amazigh and reading a book so interwoven with Moroccan and Amazighi culture and history meant the world. From

• Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Fire & Heist
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Pride
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Queen of Ruin (Grace and Fury, #2)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Seafire (Seafire, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
Somaiya Daud was born in a Midwestern city, and spent a large part of her childhood and adolescence moving around. Like most writers, she started when she was young and never really stopped. Her love of all things books propelled her to get a degree in English literature (specializing in the medieval and early modern), and while she worked on her Master’s degree she doubled as a bookseller at Poli ...more

Mirage (2 books)
  • Court of Lions (Mirage, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Melissa Bashardoust is no stranger to writing queer feminist retellings of popular fairy tales. Her first novel, 2017’s  Girls Made of Snow and...
“You do not kneel or bend, I told myself. To anyone. You continue.” 20 likes