Start by marking “Black Belt Bunny” as Want to Read:
Black Belt Bunny

Black Belt Bunny

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Black Belt Bunny is fast and strong and has seriously awesome moves from front-kicks to back-flips to air-chops. Then he's faced with something new, something every bunny must learn, something he might not be as good at: He has to make . . . a salad. Black Belt Bunny tries to escape. He even disguises himself with a fake mustache. But when he finally hops to it, he discove ...more
Published July 11th 2017 by Dial Books

Bea  Charmed
3.5 stars Cute, will see if my class likes it.
Beth
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
He's a black belt bunny but he's reluctant to learn how to make a salad? Eventually though he puts those black belt skills to good use.
Casandria
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Both the awesome Black Belt Bunny and the narrator learn a bit about trying new things, but in a very funny and cute way :)
Hoshi Begay
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yosheena
Shelly
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute illustrations.
KidLit Motivates
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Black Belt Bunny is an expert at all the best karate moves. When faced with the challenge of creating a salad, something all bunnies love, Black Belt Bunny uses kicks and flips to chop and toss the perfect green masterpiece. The energetic and determined bunny even surprises the reader/narrator by introducing some new veggie flavors to the salad mix. Certainly a book to read and re-enact together!

Upsides: Black Belt Bunny is facially expressive, gender-less, and finds a way to make even vegetabl
Becky
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Also, Black Belt Bunny can be extremely quiet, and surprisingly sneaky." There shouldn't be a second comma, right? Whoopsie.

Not gonna lie, the comma thing threw me off right off the bat, and the book didn't really recover. I mean... it's fine. It's a book. I think I wish I had been warned that it would be about salad and trying new foods instead of expecting a crazy ninja bunny story. Maybe a different title would have helped.
Desiree
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Black Belt bunny has many talents! Bunny is great at running fast, center chopping, and knee dropping! Will bunny be able to make a salad? A great way of teaching little ones to use the skills they've learned in other pursuits when learning something new. The humor in the book will also resonate with parents.
Jess Verzello
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The narrative of this book allows readers to interact with the main character, which is fun. However, I'm not sure about the purpose or intent of this book, perhaps health awareness? The fact that the bunny makes a salad seemed disappointing to me.
Maggie Ignasiak
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great read-aloud option for storytimes about healthy eating and trying new things. I really enjoyed it! It's also super funny and spins the whole story back on the narrator, which always makes for big laughs.
Alice
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
You had me at bunny!This a super fun, nicely illustrated book that is fun on many levels!
1) A Bunny...always a winner!
2) Karate (black belt.) Exercise)
3) Healthy Eating
4) Trying new things!
and a Bunny! I really enjoyed this! Very Expressive Bunny Face!
Lynn
Narrator switches back and forth between talking about the bunny and talking to the bunny - a little confusing. However, it will serve well as encouragement to try new things.
Solid colors, simple images against different colored backgrounds on different pages.
Ally Lindley
I liked this book for many reasons, but one of my favorite's is how the story was told. It was not a typical narration, it was interactive, having a conversation between the narrator and Black Belt Bunny. I like that it varied from the typical narration and became more interactive with the reader.
Megan Schmelzer
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

This book is so cute! It is about a little bunny who has his black belt in karate. Black Belt Bunny is fast, and he excels in all things chopping, blocking, and kicking. Black Belt Bunny can do anything except… make a salad?!?

Young readers will love this story. It is a quirky book, and Black Belt Bunny is a very loveable character. I see young readers, with endless energy themselves, really falling in love with the wild karate moves of B
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review originally published on my blog Nine Pages .

The text addresses the silent protagonist, Black Belt Bunny. Black Belt doesn’t want to learn how to make salad. He tries a lot to get out of it: hailing a cab, wearing a disguise…. He doesn’t want to learn new things. Finally Black Belt Bunny uses his karate skills to chop and shred and slice all kinds of vegetables. The bunny invites the reader to try his salad, but the lesson gets turned around on the reader. There’s arugula in the salad, an
Becky B
Black Belt Bunny delights in showing readers all the things he's good at. But when the narrator asks him to learn something new, Black Belt Bunny tries to sneak away.

I like that once the narrator finally convinces Black Belt Bunny to at least try making a salad, the bunny gets really into it. Then it is the narrator's turn to practice trying something new, because Black Belt Bunny has put arugula in the salad and the narrator has never had it and is sure he won't like it. But he has to practice
Beth Kakuma-Depew
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
This very adorable bunny picture book seems to be inspired by the app/arcade game Fruit Ninja, with an added healthy-eating message. The narrator talks directly to the bunny, who wordless interacts with the narrator's requests and directions. On one spread for a close up, Black Belt bunny's face is split by the book's gutter, which I found a bit awkward. Overall, I gave it three stars for the somewhat trendy, yet possibly soon-to-be out-dated story.
Alexandria
I have to come clean: I didn't read this book to our son, my husband did. I can't review it for readability or anything else I normally review a children's book for. But I can pass along what my husband said about the book.

My husband is not a sentimental or "cutesy" person but he thought this book was adorable. He loved reading it to our son and apparently read it to him several times. That's a pretty decent endorsement!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
We loved the illustrations, and the entertaining sounds of bunny's karate moves. The interaction between the narrator and the bunny brought us right into this amusing story. We loved seeing bunny use his talents to develop a new skill and to try something new. This book is silly and a lot of fun for children and aspiring ninjas.

FULL REVIEW https://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2017/...
Jesse
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Black Belt Bunny dishes out a pretty heavy-handed moralistic tale of trying new things even if they scare you. Written in second person to the bunny, I found this one too long with too much dialogue. Berry wanted to read it a second time, so at least she enjoyed it.
Mariarosa
This was a very cute story with illustrations my five-year-old brother and three-year-old sister loved. However, they seemed a little confused as I read the book aloud because the narration talks to the bunny rather than about him. My siblings enjoyed flipping through the pages and making up their own story more than they did listening to me read it to them.
Nicola
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think I liked this more than Miss 3 :) As a grown up there are two things that stand out: (1) the narrator is encouraging Bunny to make a salad and eat their vegetables, (2) it seems to be inspired by a really popular app - I think it's called Fruit Ninja, where you use your finger to try and slice the fruit - which made me laugh!
Lynda
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book about a cute little bunny in a black-belted karate suit who learns to make a salad is a bit odd to me but my preschooler seemed to enjoy the karate moves during the salad preparation and the bunny’s animated, emotional responses to the narrator.
Lisa
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The pictures are adorable and simple, the story is interactive and fun. This bunny seems to be good at everything. When he has to make a salad something new he is not really excited about it. This would be fun to do as a storytime, then the children could make their own "salad".
Ms. Jeane
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been trying to find any sort of Karate books to read to my daughter to get her excited about Karate and I came across this one. It's ok, but I wish it was more about karate and not so much about making a salad.
Kelly
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute story! Blackbelt Bunny refuses to make a salad. But the author tricks Blackbelt Bunny into making one.

Love the pictures...very bright, bold, and expressive.
Brett
Shelves: picture-book
Thinly-veiled salad propaganda.
Brooke
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent story about giving new things a try. It could work for a karate or bunny themed storytime.
Viviane Elbee
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny, enjoyable book about black belt bunny and... salad!

Kids enjoyed it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

David Soman and Jacky Davis are a husband-and-wife creative team. They write the New York Times bestselling Ladybug Girl books together and Mr. Soman illustrates. The books are inspired by their own children and family experiences. Jacky Davis has worked in publishing as well as in television. David Soman teaches at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. They live with their children in upsta