Start by marking “The Library of Fates” as Want to Read:
The Library of Fates

The Library of Fates

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  1,191 Ratings  ·  389 Reviews
No one is entirely certain what brings the Emperor Sikander to Shalingar. Until now, the idyllic kingdom has been immune to his many violent conquests. To keep the visit friendly, Princess Amrita has offered herself as his bride, sacrificing everything—family, her childhood love, and her freedom—to save her people. But her offer isn't enough.

The unthinkable happens, and Am
Published July 18th 2017 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Library of Fates, please sign up.

Cait • A Page with a View
The last 25% of this book deserves 5 stars on its own because that was amazing. I had expected the plot to be yet another variation of a princess who's betrothed to an evil guy, feels powerless to change her fate, and is in love with her childhood best friend. But then it ended up going in a totally different direction and I LOVED it. Amrita doesn't know who her mother is or much about her own identity... and ok there's really no way to sum this up without spoiling anything.

If you like symbolis
Samantha
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
This had so many good ideas but all of them were so surface level when I wanted to know so much more!
Romie
I’m so emotional right now. I didn’t expect to love this book the way I did. I expected to like it, sure, but not to fall head over heels in love with it.

In this story, we follow Amrita, princess of Shalingar, betrothed to Sikandar, the despotic ruler of Macedon . . . the same guy who ends up killing his former best friend, Amrita’s father.
In her journey to find a way to change the past, Amrita meets Thala, a seer, and this is where the story truly begins.

Can you tell already I’m having a hard t
Stacee
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
As soon as I saw the comparison to The Star Touched Queen and The Wrath and the Dawn, I was intrigued and had high expectations...sadly I was sort of disappointed.

Amrita and Thala are decent enough MCs. For a Princess on the run and a previously enslaved Seer, I figured there would be some fire, yet they're both sort of bland on the page. Varun is easily the best part of the story for various reasons, but I won't spoil anything.

Plot wise, I loved the idea of this and the idea of it is probably
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I read an excerpt on NetGalley and it captivated me immediately, so I decided to read the book. I am a puddle of disappointment, to say the least. I was unbelievably bored and the opposite of invested in the characters' fates and the world. With the tale of the trees being chopped down at the start, Khorana also clearly advocates for climate change and nature awareness, which sounds amazing, doesn't it? Unfortunately, this book was a balloon of hot air – there is no other way to describe it.

The
Inge
Well, colour me confused. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure whether to recommend The Library of Fates or not.

First of all, I have to give credit where credit is due - this book is wonderfully descriptive. I loved the rich passages of scenery, and of the food - I go a little weak in the knees at a good food description, ha! So if you're interested in the cultural aspect, this book gives you value for your worth.

The ending - more or less the last third of the book - also changed my opinion of t
alice (arctic books)
That was, well, unexpected. It was full of twists and turns, fate and love. RTC.
Keertana
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I ordered my first book box because The Library of Fates was included in it. Quarterly's YA box featured Aditi Khorana's latest, along with two other books of her choosing, a letter, notes in the novel, and even bookish goodies. I was so, so desperate to love this book--and I genuinely thought I would love it, otherwise I would never have bought it!--so it really hurts me to admit that The Library of Fates did not impress.

I love the concept behind this novel and the mythology and lore in the sto
Aila
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review can be found on Happy Indulgence.

Thank you Penguin for the review copy!

With a lush, opulent world, breathtaking plot, and endearing heroine, The Library of Fates was a wonderful read. I think the mention of The Star-Touched Queen in the blurb is very apt for this one - I can see aspects reminiscent of the former, and not just because of the foundation of Indian folklore for both worlds. No doubt, fantasy readers will adore The Library of Fates and the journey that Amrita embarks on.
Chloe
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

I just finished reading this book and now I have no idea what to type because this book stunned me so much.

Update: *takes a deep breath* Oh hey, I'm back. Don't worry, I'm going to write a review. Continue reading.

What I liked:
The Author's Note really touched me. Aditi Khorana talked about equality for all. Being Asian and female myself, I could really relate to what she wrote. Her writing is beautiful and I was captivated from the very beginning.

And we will. Because we're not broken.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“I didn’t know then what I know now: that everything - my father, this moment, every experience that molds and shapes us - is ephemeral, evaporating into the air before we have a chance to grasp onto it, before we can truly even understand what it means.”

The Library of Fates is an emotionally gripping and magically captivating read. Filled with a rich culture and endearing characters, Aditi Khorana’s world is vividly brought to life. We follow Princess Amrita as she goes on a journey to find
Acqua
The Library of Fates is a standalone fantasy book inspired by Indian and Macedonian history. It's set in the fantasy kingdom of Shalingar, whose princess Amrita is going to marry Emperor Sikander for political reasons - but even that may be too little to stop him from conquering her kingdom.

What drew me to this book - apart from the beautiful cover - was the writing: the author's note at the beginning was wonderful, and the chapter right after, which is a fairytale/prologue, almost made me tear
Bitchin' Reads
This is one of those books that plants a seed of trailing, growing thoughts into your mind. It made me question how I view conflict in my life and how to better identify the moments in which something went wrong and how to correct the wrong. It's also a beautiful story with interconnected story lines you would not expect. True to the author's heritage, I believe she captured that amazing and rich culture well with this story.

Aditi Khorana, thank you for writing this morsel of a story. And thank
Heidi Heilig
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A troubled kingdom--an inescapable fate--ancient mythology--that's basically everything I ever wanted in a book.

Open LIBRARY OF FATES and be transported to the mythical, magical country of Shalingar, where mystical vetalas, troubled oracles, irreverent goddesses, and megalomaniacal kings battle for control of love, fate, and an addictive substance called chamack. Amrita must unravel the mysteries of her past to save her kingdom, but in doing so, she herself might come unraveled. The twists and t
Meli
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt
Amrita, die Prinzessin von Shalingar, soll zum Wohle ihres Volkes den Herrscher Makedons heiraten: Sikander. Dieser ist ein alter Bekannter ihres Vaters, aber die beiden sind schon lange keine Freunde mehr. Sikander hat Armut und Sklaverei in seinem Land gefestigt und wenn Amrita nichts tut, wird es in Shalingar nicht anders sein. Mit der makedonischen Sklavin und Seherin Thala ist sie bald gezwungen zu fliehen und ihr Schicksal selbst in die Hand zu nehmen, denn Amrita ist zu größerem bes
Taryn Pierson
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Amrita is being forced into marriage with a much older monarch from a backward-thinking kingdom. She and her childhood love hatch a plot to run away together before the wedding, but Amrita’s destiny turns out to be a whole lot bigger than escaping into obscurity with a boy.

Pro tip: the Author’s Note alone is worth the price of admission. It’s at the beginning of the book, don’t skip it!

More book recommendations by me at www.readingwithhippos.com
Danielle
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review
4.5/5
review to follow
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
Rating:★★★★ 4 Stars

FULL REVIEW CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON LAIR OF BOOKS: https://lairofbooksblog.wordpress.com...

*HUGE thanks to Penguin/Razorbill & Aditi Khorana for the eGalley copy of The Library of Fates in exchange for an honest opinion

PLOT

he Library of Fates took me on a journey full of growing pains, sacrifice, friendship, and fated love against the backdrop of a vibrant colorful land full of hope. The introduction to this story starts with the very special bond between father and daughter.
Tj
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
"It takes...a recognition that you'll never be the hero of the story"
"So you choose to be the monster"

Do you know the big D that I keep on having but I didn't like? It's the big DISAPPOINTMENT. This book has such a lovely cover that I cannot not read it. It already pulled me in with just looking at the cover, and the title is so enticing, it's saying: COME HERE AND READ ME.

So, I did.

And oh, what a big freaking disappointment. The writing is good but everything else was just upsetting. So, l
chri
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5

The cover is absolutely lovely - I love the pink-to-purple ombre! Inside, The Library of Fates tells the story of a girl shaken from her everyday life; the entrance of a tyrant; reincarnation and a race to rescue her family and her kingdom. The incorporation of Indian mythology is rich and immersive, and though the story isn't anything new, the writing is quiet and beautiful and draws its own course. And as for the plot? The Library of Fates read as a gorgeous fairytale of sorts, an adventur
Susana
Two stars in my "dictionary" means that it was readable, not that I liked it.
Because I didn't...
FRC
(...)

The thing with book comparisons is that sometimes you are left wondering if they didn't get the wrong book... like when someone decided to say that the Star Touched Queen was the perfect read for people who loved Calaena, "I am going to kill you all... not"
PLEASE. -_-

Look, I am a avid The Star-Touched Queen fan. I loved the writing, the story, the whole Indian mythology; that means that I had
Insi Eule
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hat mir überraschend gut gefallen! Hätte nicht gedacht, dass es mir so gut gefallen würde und bin froh, dass ich dem ganzen eine Chance gegeben habe. Das orientalische Setting war toll und es gab einige schöne, philosophische Aspekte über das Schicksal, Vergangenheit und das Leben selbst. Wirklich gut! Bekommt von mir 4,5 Sterne.
Kav (xreadingsolacex)
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE LIBRARY OF FATES is the book I've wanted my whole life. A novel that Western society is excited about that is based on Indian mythology, with an Indian setting, and Indian characters - A.K.A. perfection.

At first, I was thinking - this'll be a four star read, but as I went further into the novel, I discovered the amazing plot the author developed that just blew me away. I don't want to get too much into it as to avoid spoilers, but trust me, the story she carves is one that you don't want to
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Emperor Sikander has turned his sights on Shalingar, the country of his friend and decided he will wed the man's daughter. She is not certain she can accept that outcome but it does give her the opportunity to learn about her mother who disappeared when she was born. Setting events into motion Amrita is on the run with the oracle Thala, a slave to Sikander and the drug chamak to find the Library of All Things where one can change their fate. Alo
Taylor Knight
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, diverse-books
The plot and concept of this book slayed my life. I loved the plot (and cover) of this book so much! The Library of Fates has such a stunning concept and I fell so in love with it. I also really loved the Indian culture that was incorporated into this book. It was really beautiful and I thought it added so much to the story.

I liked the main character, Amrita, well enough. I adored her friendship with Thala. It was so great to see an awesome fictional friendship between two girls.

I really liked t
pi
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 3.5/5

This is a beautiful and original fantasy book based on Indian folklore, and it's so refreshing to read a story that reflects Eastern traditions. It's also very interesting to read a YA novel that explores colonialism and intersectional feminism. So please, don't sleep on this book! Give it a chance and you won't regret it!!

My favourite thing about this book is that Aditi Khorana presents a strong female main character who wants to choose her own future (and she does!), but she
Patty
Oct 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
10/28/2016: HELLO BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Krysti
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story has so much intellectual depth, which is exactly what I was expecting from Aditi after reading MIRROR IN THE SKY. Aditi begins writing her books by focusing in on the themes she wants to include in the story, and in THE LIBRARY OF FATES, we really get to explore the ideas of fate, destiny, and the path not taken. There is also some commentary on refugeeism and the utter devastation and challenges that come along with truly losing absolutely everything.

I loved the tone and imaginative
Atlas
May 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
Super excited for this one

Austine (NovelKnight)
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-releases
I should have paid closer attention to the comparison titles for this novel. I wasn't big on The Star-Touched Queen (though loved the sequel,  A Crown of Wishes ) and unfortunately The Library of Fates fell in the same category of the former.

This book reads like an extended story you would see in a book of folklore and that's not necessarily a bad thing but it left me underwhelmed for a novel. For starters, I cared little for the characters. Amrita is discovering where she belongs in the world a

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
  • Sacré Bleu
    $8.24 $12.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“I thought about how many elements it took to create the simplest of things - a pink sky an unusually perfect day, a happy family, a deep friendship, a moment of pure delight. I wondered, too, what it took to undo these things. It seemed to me that undoing something was far easier than creating it.” 3 likes
“Maybe those stories did more harm than good by giving us false hope. All they did was reinforce our faith that the world was once made up almost entirely of magic or miracles. But where was that magic now, when we needed it?” 1 likes