Start by marking “Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)

Bones of the Hills

(Conqueror #3)

Genghis Khan, risen from outcast to ruler has united battling tribes, but faces troubles. Emissaries are tortured and killed. Trade route efforts are violently rebuffed. The Mongolian army is stretched to the furthest corners of Khan's realm, and destruction looms.
Published September 1st 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Bones of the Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones of the Hills

Start your review of Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)
Petrik
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
Shelves: favorites
A seriously astounding piece of historical fiction that left me speechless in many ways.

“We are not here to earn riches with a bow. The wolf does not think of fine things, only that his pack is strong and no other wolf dares to cross his path. That is enough.”

I can’t help but start this review by saying that I’m thoroughly impressed by Iggulden’s talent for the creation of this series. Genghis’ conquest on its own, even if they’re written or told in a textbook manner, are very atte
Dana Ilie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in a 5 book series. The series is historical fiction surrounding the rise of the Mongol Nation. The first three books in the series focus on Genghis Khan. This book is well written and kept me reading for hours at a time.

It's as if you become a silent viewer of this man's life, from his beginning to the end of his life. I have recommended this series to friends and coworkers . I am looking forward to reading the next two books and seeing where all the sons and brothers go.
Mizuki
My review for the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
My review of the second book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Note: according to the author, The Conqueror series is heavily inspired by The Secret History of the Mongols. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sec...)

Damn! The more I read, the more I feel this Secret History of the Mongols is pretty much like a tabloid, with so much more juicy dramas than the other historical texts such as the History of the Yuan Dynasty!
Dan Schwent
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Genghis Khan had nearly broken the Chin under his rule when an Arabian city refuses tribue, leading to conflict with Shah Ala-ud-Din Mohammed. Has the Khan finally earned the ire of even an enemy he can't defeat...

The concluding volume of The Conqueror trilogy did not disappoint. The rivalry among Genghis's sons Jochi and Chagatai reaches it's conclusion. Genghis names his heir. City after city fall before the might of the Khan.

The Khan's Arabian enemies are depicted as more formidable than any
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 5*
Book 2: 5*
Book 3: 5*

The author quite simply weaves a great story. I've said it in reviews of the first few books but there's a thin line with a character like Genghis where you go too far and it becomes unbelievable. Or too far and the violence is gratuitous.

These were different times in a harsh land where some acts rival Deadhouse Gates in the level of atrocity and battle. Genghis condemning every man, woman and child to death after starving them out after six month, reaching a death
Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer

Good but not Great - 3 Stars

This third book which wraps up the Genghis Khan Trilogy/Story Arc, left me feeling a bit disappointed. Having been wowed by the first two books in the series, I went into this one expecting the same level of excitement, battle and intrigue. What I got was watered down version of the first two. To be honest, I believe much of disappointment stemmed from the fact that, unlike the first two, I listened to this one in the audio format.
Nate
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, middle-ages
The tribes are united under the horsehair banner, the Jin and Xi Xia have been thoroughly smashed and their ancient suppression and subversion of the Mongols avenged, and now it's time for the newly-born Nation to relax and discover its true identity--tent-dwelling, nomadic steppe dwellers or city-ruling urban conquerors--or perhaps a mix of both.

"NO FUCK THAT! THE SHAH JUST INSULTED ME BY KILLING A GROUP OF MY SCOUTS! WE RIDE!"

-Genghis Khan

That's right; Bones of the Hills is much like the previ
Donna
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great series this has been. I've enjoyed all three (so far) more than I thought possible. What I enjoy the most, is how the author brings this tribe to life within the boundaries of historical facts. There is an authentic feel to the characters/figures with their everyday life, relationships, and goals. I love that feel.

One other thing that makes this series worth the read, is the story itself. It is not only well written, but the plot twists are creatively woven in that kept me glued to
David Sven
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book sees Genghis Khan and his Mongol Horde encounter the Islamic world. Again, we see a lot of the large set piece battles fleshed out in detail as the Mongols contend with disciplined armies, elephants, and fanatical assassins, often facing numbers two to three times their own. Again, the Mongol ability to shoot unerringly from horseback at full gallop whether charging or retreating was key to their success.

One of the ironies that stands out to me, is that for all the hype surrounding the
Peter
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Achievement
Genghis Khan’s armies know no bounds and they extend their empire in all directions. West to Europe and Russia, South into Persia and India, and holding onto the Chin territories in the East. The Mongolians are a united nation with Genghis’ families ever growing, with his children now generals Don’t they say that 1 in every 200 people alive today are descendant of Genghis Khan.

This is an epic story to rival all others and it is told at a pace that is fast and exhilarating. The battl
KB
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this way more than Lords of the Bow. So far this is my favourite of the series.

Why did I like it more? There was definitely less of Temuge and Kokchu, neither of which I particularly liked in the previous book. Kokchu was too simplistic a character in my opinion, and Temuge annoyed me whenever he came up. Both are in this book, but they are way more tolerable here.

The battle scenes, while written in the same style as Lords of the Bow, seemed to draw me in a lot more as well. And although

Terri
May 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I went from really liking this book to only 'liking it' from approximately halfway on. I feel odd about that because the previous two books in this series did float my boat, so to speak, especially the one that went before this one, Lords of the Bow. That was a fabulous read.

This is the book that should have been my favourite in the series. Ghengis Khan invades the Middle East and the Muslim nations rise up against him. With failures and successes on both sides.
There are periods of history cover
Mark Harrison
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the Shah in Arabia sends Genghis Khan back the heads of his men he riles the great man. He reunites his tribes, some fighting Russian knights, and sets out to settle the score. All his old colleagues feature, his son's feuds finally boil over with grave consequences and the heir to Genghis becomes clearer. Huge battles throughout and the pace never slows. All in all a great adventure tale.
Tammy
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Conn Iggulden has the talent for blending history with exceptional story telling. If Bernard Cornwell is the king of this genre, this man may just be the crown prince.
Lance Greenfield
This is great writing. It is what historical fiction is all about and is why this is my favourite genre. I really wish that I could write like this.

Conn Iggulden excels at bringing the characters and the events to life. It is fast and furious. It is captivating. It is heavily atmospheric. Well done Mr Iggulden; again!

As Ghengis recalls his armies from Chin and other distant outposts so that his united Mongol forces can wage more terror towards the south and west, huge rivalries brew up and appr
Rhonda
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Excellent book, excellent author. 5+++ stars!
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
The Mongol conquest continues, this time the empire is expanding towards north (Russia), south- west (Korea) and south-east (the Muslim world in Central Asia, modern day Uzbekistan, Iran to the shores of the Caspian sea and the Indus river).

Meanwhile, the two eldest of Genghis’ sons, Jochi and Chagatai come to blows for the succession, and, as often happens when two dogs strive for a bone, the third runs away with it (view spoiler).

Even if i
Lisa
The last part of Genghis' story, I'm kind of glad that he died when he did as I'd continued to find this series a wee bit samey. So many sieges, so many arrows, and so many massacres meant that regardless of who was on the receiving end, I'd started to feel that I'd read it all before.

In this, Genghis continues to kick the shit out of any nation that so much as looks at him funny, while still finding time to be a dick to his kids. He also meets a new enemy that might just be as formidable as he
John Gwynne
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another cracking read from Mr Iggulden. Loved the characterisation and drama between Ghengis Khan's sons. A driving pace, a host of great characters brought to life and, of course, some seriously epic battles! Wonderful stuff.
Daniel Millin
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heard times breed hard people. From such humble beginnings to ruling over one of the largest empires the world has ever seen - second only to the British empire. Cant wait to read about the descendants in the next two books.
Rishi Prakash
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in a 5 book series. The series is like a historical fiction surrounding the rise of the Mongol Nation. The first three books in the series focus on Genghis Khan so this was the last book on him. It is a great comeback after kind of boring 2nd book!

The author added a section in back clarifying where he augmented history which I really appreciated. Iggulden is a great story teller and also a brilliant researcher which comes out clearly in the books.

This book, like those th
Bruno
A third book in the series raises the bar even higher, as Genghis khan and his Horde travel to central Asia, looking for new lands to conquer and plunder. As the time passes by, so too are his sons growing up into capable commanders on the battlefield. Relationships between father and his sons is put to the test, as first, in order to prove themselves as true successors, they need to put aside their bitterness towards one another. Most importantly, their personal gains must not overpower the bes ...more
David Billow
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the Empire Strikes Back of this series. A dark and brooding saga of ruthless empire building and a strained father-son relationship. This installment rediscovered the strong voice and emotional resonance lacking in Lords of the Bow, and it might even be the best of the series. ...more
Graham
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, asia, war
The third instalment of Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series and the final part of his Genghis trilogy. Having finished - for the moment - conquering northern China, Genghis takes his armies west to invade the Middle East.

Once again, Iggulden delivers an incredibly readable novel of historical warfare. The story is action-packed with inventive and fluidly-written battle sequences, each different from the last. There are no repetitive scenarios here; instead, the author strives to deliver something d
Nitin Arora
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Assuming that this book is more fiction than fact, 4 stars seem justified; but there are simply too many historical inaccuracies, especially towards the end. Some parts of the story are too rushed and the author seemed to have twisted some historical facts more than necessary. The author could have done Genghis justice by not rushing the last part of the book, but could have rather added some more pages to explain the details a little better.

Apart from the above points, the story is just brillia
Jeffrey Rasley
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I am loving Iggulden's Genghis series. He doesn't sugar coat the brutality of Genghis or the Mongols. He brings them to life so the reader cares about the characters, despite their very different ethics from ours and despite their lack of regard for the lives of those not within the family. The narrative moves at a rapid clip, but sweeps across the continent of Asia and a generation.

However, this 3d book in the series continues a trend toward the great man approach to history. It has less to off
Barry
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could repeat all of the stuff that I mentioned in my reviews of the first two books in this five volume set, but being a man of restraint and being extremely lazy, I will refrain from doing so.

This volume covers much of the time that Khan and the Mongols were in the Middle East and, in the end.... well, that would be telling. I will, however, say that I found myself rooting for the Mongols, as if my support could change the course of history.

Great read. At some point, I will read #4 and #5. I
Christy
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dear Genghis Khan,

You were so cool and you utterly fascinated me for two months in a row in a way that few have. You were like that perfect guy people always say you will meet when you least expect it--you hit me like a ton of bricks and I totally fell for you. I loved reading all about you and I was so, so sad when you died. I tried to read about your sons, but alas, they were quite boring.

Christy

Radiah
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I was slightly disappointed with this one. Lords of the Bow was a great read, this one was a little bit of a downer, especially the taking of the Assassin's fortress in Iran and the event at the end seemed a little anti-climactic. It felt a little rushed and was inaccurate in a few ways. The writer lumped all the nations of the Middle East under the category of Arab, when clearly they were of different ethnicities; merely bound by a common faith. Perhaps to make it easy for the reader to digest. ...more
Rob Trans
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
This book continues the fictionalized account of Genghis Khan's life. This volume takes us to the end of Genghis' life and sets the stage for his successor. I'm at the point now of feeling obligated to finish the series rather than looking forward to the next book.

Once again, this book didn't generate any sense of empathy in me for any of the individuals of either the Mongols or the Arabs and their allies. Almost everyone in the book was brutal and vengeful. The whole Mongol society appears to
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 16 Nov 01, 2015 01:53AM

• Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1)
  • Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2)
  • Fall of Kings (Troy, #3)
  • Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2)
  • Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3)
  • The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles #1)
  • Excalibur (The Warlord Chronicles, #3)
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • Agincourt
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Vagabond (The Grail Quest, #2)
  • The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2)
  • Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
  • Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4)
  • Attila (Attila Trilogy, #1)
  • The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy, #2)
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle #1)
Also publishes under author name C.F. Iggulden.

I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in Lo

Conqueror (5 books)
  • Genghis: Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1)
  • Genghis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)
  • Khan: Empire of Silver (Conqueror, #4)
  • Conqueror (Conqueror, #5)

News & Interviews

“Know the enemy and you will know how to kill him.” 9 likes
“When I am gone, I do not want men to say Look at his piles of wealth, his cities, his palaces and fine clothes.” Genghis paused for a moment. “Instead I want them to say Make sure he is truly dead. He is a vicious old man and he conquered half the world. 8 likes