Start by marking “Runebinder (The Runebinder Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runebinder (The Runebinder Chronicles, #1)

Runebinder

(The Runebinder Chronicles #1)

Magic is risen.

When magic returned to the world, it could have saved humanity, but greed and thirst for power caused mankind's downfall instead. Now once-human monsters called Howls prowl abandoned streets, their hunger guided by corrupt necromancers and the all-powerful Kin. Only Hunters have the power to fight back in the unending war, using the same magic that ended civ
Published November 14th 2017 by Harlequin Teen

Start your review of Runebinder (The Runebinder Chronicles, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I won an arc copy of this in a Goodreads/Firstreads giveaway.

This cover is so freaking awesome and I admit I judged a book by its cover. I didn't realize exactly what it was about.

The beginning started out good, well accept for one thing but the author did that part really well. But I just wasn't feeling the rest of it. The concept of all these monsters is really cool though!

The book seems to have mixed reviews so you could be one that loves it 😊

Happy Reading!

Mel 💕

Silvia
Aug 14, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, pride-recs
Hello I just randomly found this book on GR and I went to check out what it is about and landed on this article of which I'll share a little extract for you lazy kids because I believe everyone, queer or not, will benefit from reading what the author said:

For most of us, just existing means having to constantly defend ourselves. Not necessarily from outright attacks or vitriol, but from the assumption that anything other than “straight” is an anomaly. That we are the outliers. That in order
Ben Alderson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite book.
First, it was a lot of elements I love. Elemental control, mage, witches, evil magic, post-apocalyptic world, burning desire, deep and interesting characters. But to top it off it displays a gay romance without explanation. I have NEVER connected to a character like I have with Tenn, so much so that 50 pages in I was in tears because I connected with him so much.

Alex is one of my new favorite authors and humans and I hope we get news on the sequel soon!
Chelsies Reading Escape
The magic and all the deadly creatures were super fascinating in this LGBT fantasy. The main character Tenn is a hunter who battles monsters as well as depression. I liked the world and the lore about the gods, but some of it was a little confusing. The plot was compelling and intense. The amount of death and violence was captivating. I also loved the mystery element. A book without a hint of mystery is like a character without personality. It builds suspense and drives the reader forward.

In Ru
ambsreads
Thank you NetGalley for sending me an eARC in exchange for review

DNF @ 10%

It's been a while since I've had a DNF. Like, a really long time. However, Runebinder really wasn't the book for me. I feel as though I may have DNF'ed it a little early but when the word 'lust' is mentioned twice within a page I can't help the gag that leaves my body and forces me to drop my phone. Can't deal.

I also was struggling with the writing style. I'm not sure if it was just the eARC version but it was formatted
Sara
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In a world destroyed by magic and greed, and monsters stalking alleyways, only Hunters remain with the powers to challenge them. But they’re fighting a losing battle. Can Tenn fulfill his destiny as the chosen one, and save the world? Or is a seductive promise from the evil Kin tempt him to destroy it?

On reading this, I was expecting an epic fantasy with some fantastic minority representation but unfortunately I was a little underw
Connor
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
[2.5 Stars]
Here's the thing: I really, really enjoyed the concept of this fantasy post-apocalyptic world. Magic comes back to Earth, and everything goes to hell after the corruptibility of humans is capitalized on by vengeful gods. I loved the elemental control and the concept that people could elect to attune to the different spheres and control water, earth, air, and fire. People having grouped up for survival fighting off hordes of deranged former-humans was so awesome. So basically, the wor
Cori Reed
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay. I have THOUGHTS.

I think, on the surface, I would have given this book 3 stars. It's not a masterpiece, but it's entertaining and I wanted to keep reading.

THAT SAID, the way Alex Kahler wrote a dystopian/fantasy where LGBT+ characters are a norm, not questioned, and very much the heroes, was FANTASTIC. So much respect for this novel. I will absolutely be picking up the rest of the series, whenever that may be.
nat.
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
imagine The Walking Dead and Avatar: The Last Airbender, but a lot more sexier and a lot more gay. and a whole lot better!

I do wish there was more explanation on how the magic system works though.
Hailey
SEE THIS REVIEW AND MORE AT LITERATURE DREAMS!

"Find the boy that Water weeps for. His words will shape the world."

Runebinder written by Alex R. Kahler is book one in "The Runebinder Chronicles".

Although November's theme is Blast from the Past, I promised to review some new releases. Today I am fulfilling that promise. Runebinder was published this month on the 14th.

Story in a Sentence: In a world destroyed by the misuse of magic and greed for power, Tenn has been singled out by a dangerous K
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Harlequin Teen Australia for review.

Here are four things I think you should know about Runebinder:

1) It’s a queer YA fantasy

Which are quite rare, even though there are more and more popping up. It’s still such an exciting thing to discover that a queer YA fantasy is heading to shelves, and when I heard about Runebinder it was no different. I was super keen for this story, and the added bonus that it’s #ownvoices.

There were no labels used in Runebinder, but I
Delia Evin
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I won an arc of this book through a goodreads giveaway.

So I really really hate when a book is DNF for me, but unfortunately in this case it is. I really really tried to get through it but I just couldn't.

First off let me start by saying that the premise of the book sounds great and it was immediately something I wanted to read. I started reading this book with high expectations but with each page that I got through it didn't get better.

This review will contain a few spoilers for some of the ch
shady boots
Apr 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
Post-apocalyptic fantasy gays I am here for it.

Azbaqiyah
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...

I dare said that this is one of the best dystopian theme book that I had read.
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5 STARS

I received an ARC of this novel from Harlequin Australia in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.

I really wanted to love this book, it had been hyped up to be the next big fantasy series, with a LGQBTI+ rep as well - I was completely sold. I didn’t dislike it, I didn’t love it – I just liked it.

The unique world Kahler has created is fascinating, however it is delivered in my opinion quite messily – which leaves the reader frustrated with the book. There is a lot to
TJ
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
First Off

Seriously freakin out about the awesomness

And the writing so good

Oh and for the so called (LOVE TRIANGLE) Shit I shipped both

Now I need to go to read some..... Do I want to read Runebinder again?

J.A. Ironside
3.5*

And I'm still not entirely sure what I just read. Sort of magic based dystopian urban fantasy with zombie like creatures and necromancers. Anyway I did enjoy this a surprising amount considering that I felt no deep tie to the characters. It's a good, solid fantasy, it just didn't quite hit the tropes I want out of a fantasy novel and there's nothing wrong with that. I liked Ten. It was good to see another queer protagonist and still have them be a fully rounded character. (Of late too many Y
Alison
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, lgbtq, queer, library
3.5 stars. Magic queer kids saving the world are one of my favourite things to read about. I rounded up on this one for that reason--I liked it, but it gets bumped up because it's freaking Harlequin Teen (Harper Collins) publishing magic queer kids saving the world, plus it's a queer-as-normative world. Also, the cover is killer good. It's an ambitious, big story and it's nowhere near done, but I loved that it's everyday no-big-deal queer kids, who have always been no-big-deal queer, out there f ...more
Cindy
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

dark, intense, and fascinating. loved the new world kahler
created in this dystopic fantasy, and loved our hero tenn as well.
Bec (becklebooks)
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Here's my review - it's spoiler free.
I wish I fell in love with this. :(

Jess ✩
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i don't know how, but somehow this book made me cry.

RTC.
Mary
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received an ARC in an exchange for an honest review.

I don't know to feel about this book. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The last 75 pages were interesting though.

It's weird. The pacing of this book isn't slow. You start off with intense action and delve right into the world. But.... I just didn't feel connected to it.

The relationship between Tenn and Jarret is odd. It's cute but odd. The author tries to downplay the insta-love by making them college buddies who had crus
Kirsti
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
YA fantasy with a leading gay character, monsters, magic, romance? Um, yes, this is the book for me! As soon as I read the back cover I was sold. 'Magic is risen. As Magic rises, humanity falls.' proclaims the back. Sounds awesome!

I will say, I did have some issues. I felt like the beginning was rushed and it didn't calm down for a good 80 or so pages. It was honestly exhausting! Because of the rushed pacing, I never felt fully grounded in the story, and when I was finally getting some much need
Līga Sproģe
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: do-i-try, dumped-2017
DNF after 3 chapters

*uggly crying* This was supposed to be good!

description

This just reads like a movie, and not a good one at that. More like that cheap crap that went straight to DVD and you need lots of booze and funny comments from friends to get throught it.
blackmarketfungi
While the magic seems a little underdeveloped and feels like it was mostly made up as the book was written this book is gay as fuck and I loved it, even if it took me nearly a month to read ...
musa b-n
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book! I found it by searching for "gay" and "fantasy" and this book did not disappoint. Lovely world-building, an organic and well-done explanation of magic, and lots of scary creatures.

This is a very scary book!!

It's very apocalyptic, in somewhat of a global warming way, and that is just one of the ways that Runebinder hit me very close to home. The protagonist is gay, and he's a very likeable character, in my opinion. Also, a lot of his troubles with magic remind me a lot
Natasha
Review also on my blog

Twitter

Bookstagram

I received an arc from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Runebinder can be best described as a regressed future America with elemental magic, featuring a gay main character. The main character Tenn has power over water. There is also a theme of magic being seen as being associated with the devil in this world.

So for me, this book really fell in the middle. I had trouble completely grasping the magic system and wish it went into
Kathy Ding
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.

The plot follows the typical YA genre structure--lone teenage boy singled out for being able to save a world where there are no adults and complete sentences. The kids who are responsible for saving the world have no real life experiences so it's really difficult to believe they are each willing to die for any reason at the drop of a hat. There is also no explanation as to why the prophecy picked out this unremarkable 18 year old middle class white boy except
Elisabeth
Starting this book, I had high hopes and thought I was going to love it. The book description was great and a book right up what I normally would devour. But, the main character was pretty whiny, his thoughts and speech were just disjointed and not well spoken. The story could have been great, but ended up being maybe just fine.
There wasn't a lot of(if any) character development with any of the main characters, and the world building was weak. There were many overused cliches with the characte

• Cloaked in Shadow (The Dragori, #1)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • First Moon (Four Moons #1)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound, #5)
  • The Prince's Dragon (Fire and Valor #2)
  • White Trash Warlock (The Adam Binder Novels, #1)
  • Dagger (The D.U.S.T. Ops #1)
  • Triad Blood (Triad Blood, #1)
  • Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • The Wizard Wolf (WindWard Triad, #1)
  • The Assassin's Dragon (Fire and Valor #3)
Alex (A.R.) Kahler is the nomadic author of quite a few books and series, including THE IMMORTAL CIRCUS and RAVENBORN. When not writing or on the road, he can be founding climbing things and drinking copious amounts of coffee. Although born in Iowa, his heart resides in Scotland. And about a dozen other places scattered across the globe. Including, currently, SoCal. Track his travels on Instagram ...more

The Runebinder Chronicles (3 books)
  • Runebreaker (The Runebinder Chronicles #2)
  • Runemaker (The Runebinder Chronicles #3)

News & Interviews