Start by marking “Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills” as Want to Read:
Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills

Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  430 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The single most important skill in coaching is asking powerful questions. In this volume, master coach trainer Tony Stoltzfus joins with 12 other professional coaches to present dozens of valuable asking tools, models and exercises, then illustrates these coaching strategies with over 1,000 examples of penetrating questions. Covering the gamut from basic techniques like op ...more
Spiral-bound, 99 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Pegasus Creative Arts

To ask other readers questions about Coaching Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coaching Questions

Jordina
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am not a coach but I like and I am interested in coaching.
I have this book in my library because, sometimes when I feel confused, I love to find useful questions to ask me.
You can find a lot of contents: of coaching process, life coaching, decision making, motivations, ...

I love the GROW model
- G - Questions to establish a goal or OBJECTIVES
- R - Questions to determine the starting point or REALITY CHECK
- O - Questions to think creatively the OPTIONS
- W - Questions to make actions steps to a
Phil
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book. It has a lot of questions, as well as examples of contexts in which to ask them. These questions help prompt additional questions.

Many of the negative reviews I've seen came from a perspective of wanting these questions to be a substitute for coaching skills or of believing that what's the author intended the book to be. Reviews from such perspectives are worse than worthless.
Raya Al-Raddadi
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching
مقدمة جيدة وشاملة لأغلب الجوانب المهمة فيما يختص بالكوتشنغ ومهارات طرح الأسئلة واقتراحات لبعض الأسئلة الفعالة تبعاً للمواضيع التي تطرح في الجلسات. من الكتب الجيدة للمبتدئين في هذا المجال.
Shane Clements
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am new to life coaching, only if you go by the official title of an Executive Professional Life Coach. However, the concept is something I am quite familiar with, having been involved in ministry work for over 25 years, serving as a youth minister, missionary, and senior pastor, I have had several opportunities to provide various forms of coaching in differing life situations. Tony's book, Coaching Questions, would have been a valuable resource to have had in my library back then, and is one t ...more
Paul
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coaching
This is great for both new and experienced coaches. The author divides the questions by usage and then offers suggestion on how to expand on each.

The advice it includes is very helpful too. Don't try to memorize the questions but, instead, appreciate their structure so you can create them on-the-fly when you need them. My favorite bit is that there is no "one true question" that will unlock the secrets of the universe for our client and that, as coaches, we should trust the process.
David
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching
This is not really a book to read through, it is more a course on coaching. It is filled with questions and practical exercises. I may come back to the exercises one day, but what I loved most was the questions. I plan to return to the tons of questions over and over as a way to enhance my conversation with others. Definitely worth the cost for anyone who talks and listens for a living.
Sue Pearson
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Cookie cutter coaching questions, I'm learning, are not that useful. The talent is in knowing which questions to ask in which moment and for what reason... But if you want lists of questions as prompts for approaches, it serves the purpose.
Marlena
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching
Great suggestions of questions and breaking down different ways to gain skills in dynamic communication and questioning skills! Definitely keeping this resource close by as I develop my coaching practice and work with students and leaders.
Andreas Kwiatkowski
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A helpful advice and reference when getting into coaching friends, employees, or clients, empowering them to figure out the right solution to challenges themselves by asking the right (open) questions.
Lilia Vogt
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful and practical

I appreciated this book for it is very practical and well structured. A great start for coaching beginners, but also a very helpful reference of tools for experienced practitioners. Easy to read and use.
Tim Austin
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must have for new coaches-in-training.
Michelle
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great questions to enter into meaningful dialogue
Susie
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful in focusing on the importance of questions. Made a big difference in my coaching.
Catherine
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Good introduction to coaching and good lists of coaching questions. I like the way the book is structured.
Fiorella Velarde
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for both beginner coaches and seasoned ones. I love its simplicity.
Tony Stoltzfus
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Great book for anyone who wants to improve asking skills.
Charity
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
All meat and no fill. Useful handbook.
Heather Gill
Recommended by Nadine Sandoz and she mailed it to me!! Thanks Nadine!
Trish
Renee Perry
Feb 08, 2016
Joy Cipoletti
Jul 18, 2017
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High-performance Coaching Culture
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life
  • Coaching: Evoking Excellence in Others
  • Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges
  • Becoming a Professional Life Coach: Lessons from the Institute of Life Coach Training
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to Be an Effective Life Coach
  • Coaching with the Brain in Mind: Foundations for Practice
  • Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You (Profile Business Classics)
  • The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise
  • The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies For Business And Personal Success
  • The Skilled Facilitator
  • Coaching with NLP: How to be a Master Coach
  • The Power of Self-Coaching: The Five Essential Steps to Creating the Life You Want
  • Taming Your Gremlin
  • Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help
Known for his wealth of practical tools and engaging writing style, Tony Stoltzfus has authored 11 books on Christian coaching and leadership, founded several training organizations and has been in the coaching field for nearly 20 years. He runs an on-line coaching bookstore at Coach22.com, a central source for books, CDs, DVDs and other training resources for the Christian coaching world.

Tony cu

More about Tony Stoltzfus...

“questions hold the power to cause us to think, create answers we believe in, and motivate us to act on our ideas. Asking moves us beyond passive acceptance of what others say, or staying stuck in present circumstances, to aggressively applying our creative ability to the problem.” 2 likes
“Asking Creates Authenticity We all want to be” 0 likes