Start by marking “Death and the Intern” as Want to Read:
Death and the Intern

Death and the Intern

Janwar Gupta, a brilliant but neurotic medical student intern, has a patient die under suspicious circumstances at the start of this two-week anaesthesiology placement at the Ottawa Civic Hospital. Certain of his innocence, Janwar bumbles his way through a criminal investigation focused on two feuding groups of anaesthesiologists and navigates a romance with journalism stu ...more
Published April 14th 2017 by Invisible Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Death and the Intern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death and the Intern

Start your review of Death and the Intern
Robin
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nostalgic Canadians
This is written by one of my peeps, a guy from from my tribe, my woodsy-neck-of-the-woods: a fellow Beautiful British Columbian. I snagged a copy of this book, along with I Am a Truck, from Invisible Publishing some months ago, after realising my reading list is sorely lacking Canadian authors - especially contemporary ones.

The best part about this book is its rich Canadiana. It's set in Ottawa, but the main character, Janwar, is a UBC medical student from Vancouver. There are plenty of mention
Michelle
“Men of Ottawa are not to be trusted, Janwar has learned. Women too, but especially the men.”

Enjoyed this story tremendously and I loved that its set in my city. So many of the details were spot on, and brought me back to when I first moved to Ottawa and was learning the city’s quirks.

The story reminded me a bit of Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell so if you like this and want more, check that out. Alternatively, if you liked that, read this!

One unexpected but hugely appreciated aspect of this bo
Nancy Jones
Oct 14, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020, own-tbr
Can't wait to receive it! Looking forward to reading it. Will update and post a honest review when I receive and am able to read it.

Trish
Apr 13, 2017 added it
I really liked this book. The characters are likeable, believable and relatable. A fun, fast-moving read.
Tas
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: canadian
Not bad for a first time author and some of the material is quite funny.
However , I'm really curious to know if the author knows the meaning of the protagonist's name Janwar?
It Hindi/Uru/Bengali for 'Animal' .
Worse yet, is used widely all over south asia as a really horrible curse word.
A South Asian parent will NEVER name their child 'Janwar'. Ever.
As a person of South Asian descent, it was so jarring to read 'Janwar this Janwar that' that it was tough to take the writing seriously! lol
I was
Alanna Rusnak
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gripping story from start to finish, the author takes us into the dark underbelly of hospital politics, leaving me hoping I never have to see the inside of an OR again! The story was well executed and thoughtful, though I didn’t find much to love about the main character, or any other character for that matter. It was gritty and often made me uncomfortable, but definitely worth a read.
Jennie
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book, great story. Having lived in Ottawa for several years it was cool to read a story set there.

His description is great and the premise of the novel simple yet effective. You really feel how harrowed the character would be if you were in his shoes.

An author to watch for!

Highly recommended.
Sharon O'dornan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This clever book was a fun and interesting read. Add it to your summer list!
Tan
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For all the Scrubs fans out there.
Paula
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Goodreads and Invisible Publishing for a free copy of this book.
Death And The Intern follows Janwar Gupta during his two week placement as a medical intern specializing in Anaesthesiology at the Ottawa Civic Hospital. This book has many interesting characters, particularly the neurotic, but earnest and loveable Janwar. The plot is suspenseful, intertwined with lots of interesting medical infromation. I enjoyed reading about Ottawa , especially the places that I was familiar with. I was
Carole Bradley
rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2019
Jan 09, 2020

• The Lonely Hearts Hotel
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad
  • Les Femmes au secours de l'économie: Pour en finir avec le plafond de verre
  • The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic—and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World
  • Full Disclosure
  • The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters
  • Hereditary
  • Microserfs
  • Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
  • Life After God
  • Woman World
  • The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction
  • The Expats (Kate Moore, #1)
  • Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery, #22)
  • Player Piano
  • La dernière des Stanfield
  • The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
  • Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece
Jeremy Hanson-Finger was born in Victoria, BC, and currently lives in Ottawa, Ontario. A co-founder of the magazine Dragnet, his short fiction has appeared in Joyland, Little Fiction, and Feathertale, and his nonfiction in The Puritan. He works as a technical writer at Shopify. His greyhound is named Lad.